Potential New Horse Thread - Vetting Today!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The difference is, from a home bred horse, you might not expect this kind of behaviour but to be honest he has probably been reared in a herd and plucked out now he is ready with minimal contact. So be kind to yourself! Your doing amazing and you have come a long way in a couple of weeks! He will get the hang of manners and how to behave 😊❤️

Absolutely, when I spoke to the dealer about the sarcoids he said he'd been 'hardly handled' which isn't quite what I was sold but it is what it is, so it's a big learning curve for him (and me). Before now he'd been out in a youngsters herd since a foal, with very much minimal contact. It feels so much longer than 2.5 weeks, so when you say it like that it puts it into perspective a little more. I am thankful for a great YM too who I know will give him consistent and confident handling when he is on livery in the week, she's actually better than me with youngsters having had a couple of her own

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Absolutely, when I spoke to the dealer about the sarcoids he said he'd been 'hardly handled' which isn't quite what I was sold but it is what it is, so it's a big learning curve for him (and me). Before now he'd been out in a youngsters herd since a foal, with very much minimal contact. It feels so much longer than 2.5 weeks, so when you say it like that it puts it into perspective a little more. I am thankful for a great YM too who I know will give him consistent and confident handling when he is on livery in the week, she's actually better than me with youngsters having had a couple of her own
Your confidence will grow too ! And then he will be very much your horse, as you will have done it all start to finish, its so much more satisfying

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So whilst my bruise is blossoming nicely, I thankfully have a positive, albeit slightly alternative, update from today.

I arrived at the yard with the plan to bring him in, do a little work with hose on feet, then do some work with the rope lifting legs then see how he felt. Well, I walked up the field to see Dex having a whale of a time snorting, bucking and cantering around... I stopped and thought about how much I value my life for a while, decided on quite a lot, and rapidly dashed all plans of bringing him in at all. Instead decided to go to him to make sure he was still happy to be caught and leave it there. Well, he was having too much fun to come down the field as usual so I walked all the way to the top, he trotted the last little bit to me, skidded to his usual halt and we put headcollar on, took it off and had scratches. Lovely!

Well, then it dawned on me that I somehow now need to get back down the long field without ending up wearing 600kg of 3yo Irish Draught as a backpack! B0llocks. I have been doing a lot of 'my space, your space' stuff with him, and he is becomign very good at stopping with the word 'woah' - so I went with the 'walk forward but keep head turned enough that he is in my peripheral vision, slow enough so as not to make it to enticing' idea 😂

He was head throwing, and waiting for me to get ahead and then cantering up behind me, but when he did I turned around and put my hands up, said woah and looked at his feet and every time he stopped immediately, giving me plenty of space, no bucking off, no being pushy. I then waited for a short while, if he stepped forward I asked him to go back, or if he stayed then I turned around and carried on. We did this all the way down the field about every 10 paces, and I think we actually both had quite a bit of fun, and honestly I think we both got more out of it than we would have in a school. Him being that it was probably more 'fun' and new, and me that I can trust him a little more that he is getting correct training if we can get the same results at liberty, in the field, when it's windy and he's got adrenaline going through him.

Came away feeling pleased as punch and he didn't even make it out the field! It's funny how things go isn't it.
1685470030707.png
02126A6D-80D2-4CB9-89F0-D90EEBD4692F.jpeg

SilverLinings

Visit site
@AShetlandBitMeOnce he looks very handsome and it sounds like you two are coming on well together. It will be great to see how he progresses, it looks like you will be having a lot of fun together :)

I hope you don't mind me saying but after the kick and the antics with the table I would strongly suggest wearing a hat as well as gloves when handling him, not because he's bad or dangerous, but because he is a youngster and you are still getting to know each other. Your head is particularly vulnerable when working on picking out his back feet, and unfortunately as we all know horse's sometimes kick out before thinking. You may, of course, already be wearing a hat with him, in which case please ignore me!

I certainly don't mean it as a criticism of anything you are doing with Dex, it sounds like you are carefully thinking through his training and respecting his boundaries whilst encouraging him to expand them. Unfortunately I have known of several serious and one fatal head injuries from kicks from flighty/young horses so am very pro-hat in those situations!

It is great to see so many photos of him settling in, although I am very envious of his current colouring as my two greys are now pure white (well, for the hour or so immediately after a bath anyway) 🤣

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
@AShetlandBitMeOnce he looks very handsome and it sounds like you two are coming on well together. It will be great to see how he progresses, it looks like you will be having a lot of fun together :)

I hope you don't mind me saying but after the kick and the antics with the table I would strongly suggest wearing a hat as well as gloves when handling him, not because he's bad or dangerous, but because he is a youngster and you are still getting to know each other. Your head is particularly vulnerable when working on picking out his back feet, and unfortunately as we all know horse's sometimes kick out before thinking. You may, of course, already be wearing a hat with him, in which case please ignore me!

I certainly don't mean it as a criticism of anything you are doing with Dex, it sounds like you are carefully thinking through his training and respecting his boundaries whilst encouraging him to expand them. Unfortunately I have known of several serious and one fatal head injuries from kicks from flighty/young horses so am very pro-hat in those situations!

It is great to see so many photos of him settling in, although I am very envious of his current colouring as my two greys are now pure white (well, for the hour or so immediately after a bath anyway) 🤣

Suggestions, criticism, pointers all welcome! I’m certainly not an expert - so please do. After the table incident I am now wearing gloves, I do also have my hat in the car and I have to say my only slight point of nerves now is that I will catch a stray hoof which is half of why I was so pleased that he was respectful of my space and his feet this PM. But much like I have admitted complacency before now with the gloves the hat should be worn, you’re quite right.

Foot picking up I am now doing with a lunge line around his heel in the stable so I am giving myself more distance - but definitely taken on board. Thank you.

I’m really hoping he’ll grey out slowly but he’s getting really cute white patches around his ears already!

279F2159-DDF8-49FE-AF6A-FA25791F871F.jpeg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well, then it dawned on me that I somehow now need to get back down the long field without ending up wearing 600kg of 3yo Irish Draught as a backpack!

Which is why horses should never be taught to come to call. Much better if they wait calmly for you to walk across the field for you to get them.

Sounds like you’re feeling more positive xx

SilverLinings

Visit site
Suggestions, criticism, pointers all welcome! I’m certainly not an expert - so please do. After the table incident I am now wearing gloves, I do also have my hat in the car and I have to say my only slight point of nerves now is that I will catch a stray hoof which is half of why I was so pleased that he was respectful of my space and his feet this PM. But much like I have admitted complacency before now with the gloves the hat should be worn, you’re quite right.

Foot picking up I am now doing with a lunge line around his heel in the stable so I am giving myself more distance - but definitely taken on board. Thank you.
It is difficult working on picking up back feet as there's only so much you can do from a distance before you need to take the plunge and get in there and use your hand to lift the foot. It sounds sensible to go back a stage so that he can settle and absorb what he's learning.

I'm fairly (probably too) lax H&S-wise around horses I've owned for a while, but experience has taught me it isn't worth the risk with new ones or youngsters, even when the weather is too warm for hats to be comfortable! It sounds as though Dex thinks things through and learns quickly (the best type of horse IMHO) so I'm sure he will soon mature and be more predictable.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Which is why horses should never be taught to come to call. Much better if they wait calmly for you to walk across the field for you to get them.

I've always taught mine to come to call and if there is any question that they will come at any speed faster than a walk or jog then I wait on the other side of the fence/gate until they are standing still nicely, and they soon learn that they will have to wait longer if they are pratting about. I have used this to my advantage when I have fallen off when hacking in the past, and the horses have come back to me when called.

The main reason I teach this now though is that when I am on crutches and/or post surgery I can't walk across the field as it's too far, and in winter I can't risk slipping in the mud, so the horses need to come over so that I can change rugs/check they are ok/catch them/etc.

I can see that half a ton of horseflesh charging at you at a rate of knots is not exactly a safe scenario though!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

I definitely am feeling better, thank you. Admittedly I’ve never thought about it like that before. He’s come bowling over to the gate from the moment he arrived so not something I’ve taught in this instance I have to say - but before now I’ve always liked them to do it, although I’ve also never had one that’s overstepped the mark with it as I’m super hot on manners. Can’t rely on it with a youngster of course, but hopefully he continues as he started.

It is difficult working on picking up back feet as there's only so much you can do from a distance before you need to take the plunge and get in there and use your hand to lift the foot. It sounds sensible to go back a stage so that he can settle and absorb what he's learning.

I'm fairly (probably too) lax H&S-wise around horses I've owned for a while, but experience has taught me it isn't worth the risk with new ones or youngsters, even when the weather is too warm for hats to be comfortable! It sounds as though Dex thinks things through and learns quickly (the best type of horse IMHO) so I'm sure he will soon mature and be more predictable.

He’s definitely a thinker which I love, but as much as I love seeing him settle in I know that with confidence will come some more turbulence. I just hope as I get to know him better I’ll be better at spotting it before it comes! I am absolutely criminal for being lax with all my previous horses once I’ve known them and am quick to overlook an injury, so a kick up the proverbial never goes amiss!

I plan on getting someone out to help me when it gets to picking up his backs with my hands I have to say. A groundwork lady came out and met him during his first week and she’s fab, so I’m sure she won’t mind coming back out.

Skib

sites.google.com
I do think you should preferably wear a hat when handling or catching horses in the field. My gt aunt was killed by a head injury in the field. In the days when people did not wear hard hats.

Marnie

Visit site
I'm loving seeing your updates and pictures. Eric can be a pain in the field, I tend to take him out of the field when poo picking for example as if nothing else, he has a habit of knocking the wheelbarrow over! I also tend to wear my hat and gloves when doing anything out of the ordinary with him, vaccinations, farrier (he still isn't reliable picking feet up), leading to places other than the field - I've got a lot more safety conscious as I've got older :)

rextherobber

Visit site
I

I don't agree, all my horses have always come to call, and I've never gad any problems. I think doing loads of groundwork, as OP is doing, means they can snap into "work" mode, regardless of the situation or tack they're wearing.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I

I don't agree, all my horses have always come to call, and I've never gad any problems. I think doing loads of groundwork, as OP is doing, means they can snap into "work" mode, regardless of the situation or tack they're wearing.
I guess it’s horses for courses (as they say). Ime there’s nothing worse than a field full of horses thundering up to the gate when one is called. It can lead to accidents and cut up the land. But what doesn’t work for one clearly works for others.

rextherobber

Visit site
I guess it’s horses for courses (as they say). Ime there’s nothing worse than a field full of horses thundering up to the gate when one is called. It can lead to accidents and cut up the land. But what doesn’t work for one clearly works for others.
I guess I'm judging this on having my own fields, and when on livery, it was paired/three turnout maximum.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I'm loving seeing your updates and pictures. Eric can be a pain in the field, I tend to take him out of the field when poo picking for example as if nothing else, he has a habit of knocking the wheelbarrow over! I also tend to wear my hat and gloves when doing anything out of the ordinary with him, vaccinations, farrier (he still isn't reliable picking feet up), leading to places other than the field - I've got a lot more safety conscious as I've got older :)

See he's fabulous when I'm poo picking or Ragworting he just chills with me - but yesterday the wind was up and he was ready for a party!!

I have a lady coming out this PM to give me a hand with the feet, quite looking forward to it!

It's definitely horses for courses, I wouldn't want a herd of 10 clambering around the gate if one came to call, but if you have your own field or the other horses aren't fussed I think it's great. I think all behaviours are conditional on the circumstances

smolmaus

Visit site
I'm with you that I'd rather a trudge up the field to fetch than 3-4 of them come running to the gate. Calm over convenient for me please. If just your own horse comes trotting over that is ideal and very sweet but how often do we get the ideal and not a mess? Maybe thats just our herd I don't know 😂

I am enjoying the thread very much as well ASBMO. His perfect record spoiled by an overturned table monster. The poor lad!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not an update as such but Dex has been here 3 weeks as of yesterday morning, and until my aunt pointed it out I didn’t quite realise how much he’s filled out! Bottom photo is the day he arrived (Yes I do have half an eye on his weight).

That is OH making friends with him while we ragworted this evening, he’s 6ft3, so actually Dex might be a bigger beast than I had planned once he’s finished growing… I haven’t actually measured him. Supposed to be 16.2hh

3A953BEC-F21B-4AAB-ADB5-5886D140ECFC.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Not an update as such but Dex has been here 3 weeks as of yesterday morning, and until my aunt pointed it out I didn’t quite realise how much he’s filled out! Bottom photo is the day he arrived (Yes I do have half an eye on his weight).

That is OH making friends with him while we ragworted this evening, he’s 6ft3, so actually Dex might be a bigger beast than I had planned once he’s finished growing… I haven’t actually measured him. Supposed to be 16.2hh

View attachment 114871

He looks like travelling knocked him right back and you've done a grand job bringing him back into shape. He's a smart horse.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Remarkably different! If you have done that in three weeks what is yet to come??! He does look really nice.

Hopefully not too much more weight! But yeah, I am excited to see what's to come!

He's going to be something else....but yes, I'd be preparing to need a LARGE mounting block

Thankfully the yard has huge concrete mounting blocks, but being sensible and getting something that I might be able to get on from the ground on hack in a pinch doesn't look like it's quite going to go to plan!