Racing this weekend

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Edwardstone declared tomorrow for a 42k 2 mile 4 chase in heavy ground. He won 37k in second place today in heavy ground.

No doubt he is fit and I understand horses do need to be multi entered, but is there a need to run a horse today and tomorrow in bottomless ground. I know flat horses will turn out quickly, but 5 furlongs on perfect ground is very different to slogging in the ground we have now and jumping fences.

Will he run?, how do the connections assess his physical well being, would they be scanning for instance ?

Carrottom

Visit site
Edwardstone declared tomorrow for a 42k 2 mile 4 chase in heavy ground. He won 37k in second place today in heavy ground.

No doubt he is fit and I understand horses do need to be multi entered, but is there a need to run a horse today and tomorrow in bottomless ground. I know flat horses will turn out quickly, but 5 furlongs on perfect ground is very different to slogging in the ground we have now and jumping fences.

Will he run?, how do the connections assess his physical well being, would they be scanning for instance ?
That's the problem with 48 hr decs, you have to declare for both to be able to choose.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

Surely he should be withdrawn, but will they?

Gamebird

Visit site
He

He won't run. Declarations are 48hrs ahead, so they had to declare him on Friday in case Sandown was off today. He'll be listed as a non-runber tomorrow.

I did once have a horse who'd run (and won) on 2 consecutive days in Ireland, but they were both at the same track (so no extra travel), on reasonable ground, and weren't grade 1s!

Visit site

Definitely won't run. It was a back up plan for if Sandown was off.

Some horses do run 2 days in a row - generally 2 milers, flat horses or ones that have travelled a long way and for some reason or another didn't complete a circuit of the track. On the 2nd day the BHA vets will trot the horse up and either declare it fit to race or they will spin it and won't allow it to run.

48 hour Dec's are great for the staff as it gives us an extra 24 hours to sort racing staff and kit - especially if you are going overnight.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He

He won't run. Declarations are 48hrs ahead, so they had to declare him on Friday in case Sandown was off today. He'll be listed as a non-runber tomorrow.

I did once have a horse who'd run (and won) on 2 consecutive days in Ireland, but they were both at the same track (so no extra travel), on reasonable ground, and weren't grade 1s!
Thank you for the clarification, furthers my education !

humblepie

Visit site
You will sometimes see horses declared for two races the same day as back up plans if somewhere is off. Trainer can be fined for double declaration depending on why doesn’t run at one of the races.

Visit site
You will sometimes see horses declared for two races the same day as back up plans if somewhere is off. Trainer can be fined for double declaration depending on why doesn’t run at one of the races.

If its 2 different courses you have to state your first preference race. If it's 2 at the same track that's an f up on the trainers part and they get fixed.

Gamebird

Visit site
El Fabiolo was impressive! Did it in a hack canter really for him.
He's such an economical jumper. I guess that's half his speed! Paul picked up his stick once on the run in. I guess just to remind him not to idle. I'm probably biased but I think he won that better than Jonbon did yesterday.

Visit site
He's such an economical jumper. I guess that's half his speed! Paul picked up his stick once on the run in. I guess just to remind him not to idle. I'm probably biased but I think he won that better than Jonbon did yesterday.

To look at it was more impressive than Jonbon. But Jonbon had a vile bog to deal with yesterday whilst El F had slightly better ground that had only had 1 race on it. It will be interesting to see who has the better turn of foot on better ground.

bonny

Visit site
To look at it was more impressive than Jonbon. But Jonbon had a vile bog to deal with yesterday whilst El F had slightly better ground that had only had 1 race on it. It will be interesting to see who has the better turn of foot on better ground.
One of them is now odds on for the Champion Chase and it’s not Jonbon!

Visit site
One of them is now odds on for the Champion Chase and it’s not Jonbon!

I'm really not surprised after that there today. But I live in hope that Britain can get their hands on another major Cheltenham festival trophy this year 😂 I'd like to say we have the Champion Hurdle sown up but until we see CH again to confirm he is still the horse he has been I will hold off on being 100% certain and rather be 99% certain 😂

Visit site
Elf I was at Aintree on Saturday, had I known I'd have found you to say hi! The going was brutal

Ah I had a minion to do all my leading up so I could stay in the back ground 🤣

The only saving grace for the ground was that it was wet and sloppy so they got through it easier than if it was drying a little a sticky and tacky. That takes more out of a horse than slop.

Indieanna6

Visit site
Ahh brilliant, enjoy and give her a big pat from me! Apple was my first syndicate horse, which has led to a few others and me enjoying learning about racing 😊