Remaining (in person) horse sales in Britain

Jayzee

Visit site
Exeter was still going last summer and probably will pick up again this year. Always a mix of dodgy types being offloaded, feral moor ponies, too slow pointers and decent horses that deserve somewhere better. I’ve brought a few from there.

There’s a couple of once a year sales in Devon as well although I’m drawing a blank on the names, as well as the drift pony sales.

I'd be interested if Kivells are still running sales, I've just had a look to see if there were any dates up but couldn't see any, maybe its too early in the year?

Sandales

Visit site
Northwest auctions near Kendal do horse sales, they have the Fell Pony Society sale and Registered Mountain and Moorlands in October. They usually have general horse sale in November and in the Spring but the spring one isn't listed in the list of upcoming sale dates. J36 rural auction centre is very handy for the motorway. They have handled a number of Stud reduction and dispersal sales over the last couple of years.

Nasicus

Visit site
Exeter was still going last summer and probably will pick up again this year. Always a mix of dodgy types being offloaded, feral moor ponies, too slow pointers and decent horses that deserve somewhere better. I’ve brought a few from there.

There’s a couple of once a year sales in Devon as well although I’m drawing a blank on the names, as well as the drift pony sales.
I seem to recall a facebook post doing the rounds recently that the Exeter horse sales aren't coming back? I could be misremembering though!

neddy man

Visit site
Clitheroe have a horse sale and a tack sale on 2nd July entries close on 27 June, presume entries would be shown on their www. Facebook and Instagram pages.

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
Ruthin on July 1st, and Brecon on the 16th.

Also, to add to this thread, there’s sales with Morgan Evans on Anglesey too. Next one’s in Oct.

stangs

Visit site
Updating to add:

Connemara, Standardbred and Shetland Sales at Builth Wells - 17th Oct
Worcester Shetland Sales - 18th Oct

There were also two sales this year at Darlington, one in May and one in Oct. Not sure if they'll be continued next year.

stangs

Visit site
Adding that Llandovery had a sale on 31st Oct last year - from the sounds of it, they're going to be continuing them but don't know of any dates for this year, just that there should be a sale in Autumn for Welshies.

Don't know of any dates for Darlington either, and still not sure if they're planning to continue selling horses.

What's going on auction-wise this year?
(Just noticed the Forfar May Day sale is cancelled this year. Doesn't say why.)
Already happened but St Asaph was on 5th Feb (only 10 horses), and Llanbydder was on 30th March. Not sure when they're next doing a sale.

22 April - NWA
3 May - Ruthin general & Welsh sale
5 May - Clitheroe (last sale had 45 horses so looks like they're improving, but still mostly tack)

12 Oct - Chagford
14 Oct - Llanafan & Cwmowen
17 Oct - Shetland sale at Worcester
20-22 Oct - Welshie sales at Builth Wells
23 Oct - Standie/Hackney/Connemara sale at Built Wells
Some time in Oct - Fell sale with the NWA

Brecon's dates are: 22 April, 20 May, 17 June, 15 July, 19 Aug and so on for general sales.
Beaulieu on 1 June, 21 Sept, and 26 Oct.

That's all I know at the minute.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
NWA

J36 Crooklands Livestock Auction

General Sale of Horses and Ponies​

Sale on:
  • 22nd April2023
General sale of horses, ponies and donkeys
All horses must be passported and microchipped to be sold. The passports must be presented at the time of unloading. If your horse is unwell, has a snotty nose or coughing please do not bring it to the sale.
There will be no auction of tack or carriages this day.

Steerpike

Visit site
Llanybydder I think it will struggle, there was only 5 horses at the sale last month, I know they normally have lower numbers late winter time but Brecon have seemed to have upped their game and seem to attract more entries now. Forgot to add Llanybydder is normally the last Thursday of the month.

meleeka

Visit site
I hate sales the horses faces stay with me for days .
One of mine came from one of the Welsh sales. She still had milk so I’m guessing her foal was weaned at the sale. Id asked a friend who was going to find me a companion. I went to the New Forest sales once and it wasn’t something I’d want to see again :(

J&S

Visit site
I went to the Beaulieu road sales soon after i bought my own NF pony, in the 80's. I went with her breeder. It was very sad, cracking big foals going to the butchers and weedy cheap ones going to the public (for their back gardens!?)
I do believe things have changed now that the verderers have more control over the quality of stallions and forest running mares.

I also have visited Exeter and Newton Abbott sales, i know people who have bought well from both but you do have to know what you are about.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Friend sent me this of Kent Gypsy fair Addington , early this month. Gives an idea of what was there!

339171631_216923894355827_3709328515832544310_n.jpg