Rider too heavy

bouncing_ball

Visit site
To be honest, Birker, not enough people are worried about this. As well as a % weight "rule", riders should be aware that any weight of over 1.5lbs per square inch of saddle in weight bearing contact with the horse is reckoned to be damaging.

how does one calculate how many square inches did saddle are weight bearing? Surely not a huge number?

Nt9

Visit site
How about a slightly different approach, if I were joining a gym or employing a fitness coach, I would expect to have a new client sheet, filled in. Name, DOB, height, weight, health issues, what I want to achieve. Why shouldn't that be part of riding instruction too, one for horse too, a way in to discuss suitability of horse and any issues, saddle fit, horse weight rider weight, bit, tack, etc. Maybe someone could build an app.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
how does one calculate how many square inches did saddle are weight bearing? Surely not a huge number?

No, it's not a huge number. It's a lot bigger on some types of saddle, WOW, reactorpanel, western for example. You can pretty much see where the saddle sits on the horse, and measure it in small rectangles that sit inside the curves of the area then add them together. Someone who is 12 stone naked will need a saddle with a bearing surface of over 120 square inches, 60 each side. Each extra stone needs over another 9 square inches. I doubt if there is a standard English type saddle which could meet the rule with a 15 stone person who will weigh 16 stone with clothes and tack.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
How about a slightly different approach, if I were joining a gym or employing a fitness coach, I would expect to have a new client sheet, filled in. Name, DOB, height, weight, health issues, what I want to achieve. Why shouldn't that be part of riding instruction too, one for horse too, a way in to discuss suitability of horse and any issues, saddle fit, horse weight rider weight, bit, tack, etc. Maybe someone could build an app.

To put it bluntly - because riding instructors are not qualified to do anything with that information (hopefully unlike personal trainers). We have no training in diet, human fitness, human health issues, etc. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Sheep

Visit site
I was going to say, I'm wearing my knickers.

Absolutely ???

Not to derail the discussion though, sorry OP! It’s very tricky and I can understand your predicament.

OH and I have been on a diet since start of year. I wouldn’t have said either of us was too heavy for our horse but it absolutely will make his life easier, and I’m keeping that in mind when my motivation wanes. So far we have lost over 20kg between us, so I am sure our four legged friend will be happy.

My saddle fitter did tell me an anecdote once about how she had a convo with a client about their weight. I didn’t ask how went went about doing it but the person understood and was very grateful in the long run. I think it’s something we need to be prepared to consider - the horse has got to come first.

Pegasus5531

Visit site
I think the fact that she has mentioned she is wanting to lose weight could be a good way to start the conversation? Point out that she told you that she would like to lose some weight and tell her you think that would be great for her and the horse and that in the meantime you'd love to help her with groundwork and keep her motivated to lose the weight to get back on board. So mention it and make it sound positive if possible? Such a difficult position to be in I don't envy you!

ozpoz

Visit site
That’s untrue Shilasdair. And the methodology was chosen to reflect normal ridden horse practice! And that is in private ownership, in riding schools and in Colleges.
Still the best, most current research on this subject and well worth a read. It showed that 20% is way over what our horses should be asked to carry.

seamoth

Visit site
Looking as it from a different angle forty years ago I did the AHS Marathon I and my tack weighed in at 81/2 stone so horse had to have a 3 stone lead blanket. We finished the ride but I would defiantly never subject a horse to that again, but FEI Endurance horses have to carry 75kgs to compete in 100 miles races, and I believe Eventing had a similar ruling until fairly recently where is the sense in that thinking.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
That’s untrue Shilasdair. And the methodology was chosen to reflect normal ridden horse practice! And that is in private ownership, in riding schools and in Colleges.
Still the best, most current research on this subject and well worth a read. It showed that 20% is way over what our horses should be asked to carry.

What was 'untrue' Ozpoz?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Fruitcake

Visit site
I think when it comes to weight, it’s always going to be a sensitive issue. Of course people should be able to go about their lives without being judged for their weight. When someone chooses to get on a horse, however, the horse’s welfare has to be prioritised over that right. To me, there’s no discussion.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The 20% rule is a load of tosh, it's too subjective to use as a basis for any sort of conversation. Too many caveats to the rule make it so that people can justify themselves.
My horse was 780kg lean, so he should have been able to carry 24.5 stone?! Rubbish.
Or an overweight cob you would need the lean weight, or an unfit horse you need to adjust it again and then people say 'well only for short walks' or 'I have a big enough saddle'..

From someone who is overweight right now (and not riding as a result), fat is fat, sorry. You are sat on an animals spine so the least you can be conscientious of your impact on that animal.

Tarragon

Visit site
I think the 20% rule is just a guideline though and as that it is reasonable and better than nothing. I would have thought that it works in most circumstances.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think the 20% rule is just a guideline though and as that it is reasonable and better than nothing. I would have thought that it works in most circumstances.

It works both ways though - it's a good guideline and place to start, but it also gives people a get out clause to say 'well I am under the 20%' when they still shouldn't be riding the pony due to it's age, it's health, their height, saddle fit, it's fitness level, it's musculature, it's conformation, the workload, their weight when including the saddle & clothes, their weight that has gone up without them realising...