"Should puppies have water at night?"

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I am genuinely shocked at the shapes that some posters whose opinions that I have hitherto respected on AAD are bending themselves into to attempt to justify refusing their dogs 24/7 free access to water.

Just let the dogs have free access to water and let them choose?

This from the highly respected PDSA. The RSPCA say the same, but I know that some people on here don't care for the RSPCA's opinions.

• Food and water. Your dog needs constant access to fresh clean water. This shouldn’t be too close to their bed in case they knock it over or get their bed wet! They’ll also need regular meals throughout the day, but this will depend on your vet’s advice and how you feed your dog.

windand rain

Visit site
Well I have had dogs for 60 years and they always had free access to water and food. I know a lot feed meals but mine were always free fed on complete diet. Even 60 years ago we fed hound meal which was similar to winalot with beef Jerky in it. The cat used to rifle through it and pick out the meaty bits. Edited to add they were all labradors pr golden retrievers and tended to be under rather than overweight

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I cannot free feed my Lab. Cannot. 😂

Previous Lab, yes. Current Lab...hell to the no.

We always have ample water on our hikes, but generally the dogs drink from streams and whatnot.

Katieg123

Visit site
I think the point is why wouldn't you have water available for dogs all the time (or as often as possible)? There's lots of reasons to not have ad lib food available for most dogs...
If you're not giving them water at night because they'll wet the bed then clearly they're drinking it at night and therefore thirsty?

TwyfordM

Visit site
Was advised by the rescue a got my greyhound from to take water up an hour before last toilet call (around 11ish) and go overnight without as she was gulping water down before bed and peeing all night, im up pretty early so would let out around 5/6am and it worked.

But that was an adult dog, so slightly different to a pup! Worked and after a few weeks left water down and no more gulping of water before bed, no more peeing! She's had free access to water ever since and it's a non issue. She's never crated though as she hates it.

New pup is used to crates and pens so he's got one that will be his own bed/space. Last weekend when I puppy sat he was happily emptying the water bowl/standing in it/rolling around ... I need to find a solution to prevent him drowning himself overnight 🤣

... and a large towel around Lucy's water bowl as he's going to think that's his personal swimming pool 😳

So I'm on the fence about water in the crate to be honest ...

Marnie

Visit site
Was advised by the rescue a got my greyhound from to take water up an hour before last toilet call (around 11ish) and go overnight without as she was gulping water down before bed and peeing all night, im up pretty early so would let out around 5/6am and it worked.

But that was an adult dog, so slightly different to a pup! Worked and after a few weeks left water down and no more gulping of water before bed, no more peeing! She's had free access to water ever since and it's a non issue. She's never crated though as she hates it.

New pup is used to crates and pens so he's got one that will be his own bed/space. Last weekend when I puppy sat he was happily emptying the water bowl/standing in it/rolling around ... I need to find a solution to prevent him drowning himself overnight 🤣

... and a large towel around Lucy's water bowl as he's going to think that's his personal swimming pool 😳

I had terrible trouble with Bunny and water bowls in her run / crate - she would dig in them, tip them upside down, throw them around and all sorts. I tried ones that clipped to the side of the crate or run, heavy ceramic ones, the travel ones, ones with floating platforms - all sorts, and the result was the same, and it was a particular problem at night. I didn't like her being without water at night and in the end found what looks like a water bottle for a rabbit / small furry, it clamps on to the outside of the cage / run - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09YTSM35S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. She learnt to use it really quickly. Now she is a bit older, she can have 'normal' water bowls in her outside run and elsewhere and I just use the bottle for her night crate. Might be worth a try!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site

I think when it's 'silly drinking' that's a different matter, gulping down gales of water and ingesting air at the same time can be very dangerous. Equally after exercise I give water in small increments rather than a whole bucket.

I don't think I have passed judgement or called anyone any names, I had a right 'mare with my eldest dog and his daughter in terms of scooting/digging/wrecking etc so I just worked as hard as a I could to find a workaround and even then they were tits/managed to get bowls dislodged, but they've both grown out of it. Not leaving a dog with any water at all for long periods does not sit well with me, it's just how I feel.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think people need to remember puppies are very small and can regulate their hydration less well than older dogs I would not leave a puppy in a crate without some water overnight .
I have to agree with the poster above in that my dogs who don’t have water in the bedroom at night don’t drink if I get up at night and let them out they don’t go drink .
Thinking about it my dogs often have a drink last thing after they have their last run about the paddocks close to the house this is between eleven and twelve .
They quite often get up during the night because I do if I have pain and need to move around .If I do this I let them out they don’t go and drink .
I simply don’t understand the need for this to get heated .

Bellaboo18

Visit site
He has vet matting if he pees it goes through the mat he doesn’t lie in his own pee
His bed gets wet when he throws his whole bowl of water over his bed
I am shocked by this, you don't take your pup out to the toilet in the night? 😱 we've had our pup 2 weeks and we set an alarm twice throughout the night. I can't imagine just leaving them to wet.

Goldenstar

Visit site
When I first get a pup I take them out at night every two hours I have Labradors the easiest dogs in the universe to train .
I do this from night one and use a small crate by the bed .
They learn very quickly to go outside when they do they get lots of praise and go back in the crate yes they might make a bit of noise but I ignore them and they learn not to bother .
As soon they understand I start to leave them longer if they wake a get restless or squeak I take them out if they go I praise quick cuddle back to crate .
Pearl was super quick she was from a breeder and was in a kennel she had been in a house but not to live, she had the idea at day two and was dry from one am till six by day five it’s those first few day of disciplined getting up that cracks it quickly IME
My rule never let them pee in the house and they get quickly get it but you need to focused disciplined and quick to react .
It’s easy when you are at home a lot .

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My old trainer would watch puppies and 'how they drink water', we used to rib him about it, he would never pick a "messy' or exuberant drinker.
He wouldn’t have appreciated Bear’s dripping from the back of his mouth, he’s really messy!

Bowl attached to crate. 337DB126-FF53-4384-9807-BAD087EED9FC.jpeg

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I will no doubt be crucified but am being honest! 🙄 when I get a pup they sleep overnight in a very small crate. The rationale that if it is small they won't use one end as a toilet as there is little spare room. I go to bed, they go to bed in the kitchen. I get up in the morning and they go straight outside. They hold it. Much praise obviously when they "go". I have never, ever got up in the night to take them to the loo. I will go to bed lateŕ and am usually up by 5.45. Over time they progress to a larger crate. They have all been fine. They are small dogs whether that makes a difference I have no idea. It has always worked.

Clodagh

Visit site
I will no doubt be crucified but am being honest! 🙄 when I get a pup they sleep overnight in a very small crate. The rationale that if it is small they won't use one end as a toilet as there is little spare room. I go to bed, they go to bed in the kitchen. I get up in the morning and they go straight outside. They hold it. Much praise obviously when they "go". I have never, ever got up in the night to take them to the loo. I will go to bed lateŕ and am usually up by 5.45. Over time they progress to a larger crate. They have all been fine. They are small dogs whether that makes a difference I have no idea. It has always worked.
You are very brave! I too have never set an alarm to take a dog out, nor had one sleeping in my bedroom. However, apparently I’m a dreadful person and should rehome them all through the rspca immediately. It’s amazing they’ve survived.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Again, totally missing the point again. The pups were not crated for hours on end, but between the hours of 10pm and 5.30am WHEN THEY WERE SLEEPING - that is not crate misuse! I am quite familiar with the five freedoms and note that freedom from thirst and hunger are put together in the same bracket, yet no-one is saying that food needs to be available whilst the dogs are sleeping in case they feel a bit peckish.

If my pups felt they were being 'deprived' (such an emotion laden word) of water whilst they were sleeping they would be straight to the water bowl in the morning. But they didn't do that, so were showing absolutely no signs of being 'deprived
Im with you on that. I have followed the same routine…

Sorry @TGM i dont know how I have quoted you 🤣🤣🤣

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I suppose it's what you're prepared to put up with. I'm in a rental property so can't have too many accidents and I like to start as I mean to go on so I did crate and get up through the night with my latest one. I was up anyway as she was one of ten, the breeder wanted them gone a little too early for my liking (although to be fair the mother was fed up) and she was most put out being apart from them.

All three of mine are clean in their kennels too, kennel smell drives me nuts. The period still with their mother and selection is a factor as well IMO. With the benefit of CCTV I was able to see that the whole litter my young one came from had a very definite area to sleep/play in and an area to toilet.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don't get up in the night, either, unless I hear noise from downstairs. My bedroom is directly over the crate and the adult dogs know that if they need something during the night they can call for help. They never need to call for a drink though.
The 4 yr old Labs were the easiest ever to housetrain, they had been used to playing out with their mum, big sister and aunt in the breeder's garden and going back into a crate in the house. The adults had practically done the job for us.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Everybody does what they do I get up in the night that’s what I do.
I don’t presume that the only way is my way .
For most of my life I did not crate train puppies and it not work with Dram he’s a very amenable dog but crates where not the best way for him he did however had two fantastic bitches as nannies they defiantly did my job for me .
and …. I did BB’s altogether on the bed thing with him hangs head in shame .
It worked though he’s a great dog if somewhat soft in fact very soft .

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Everybody does what they do I get up in the night that’s what I do.
I don’t presume that the only way is my way .
For most of my life I did not crate train puppies and it not work with Dram he’s a very amenable dog but crates where not the best way for him he did however had two fantastic bitches as nannies they defiantly did my job for me .
and …. I did BB’s altogether on the bed thing with him hangs head in shame .
It worked though he’s a great dog if somewhat soft in fact very soft .
Its so good getting snuggles though 🤣🤣

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If we're talking about the RSPCA and dogs sleeping in bedrooms, then unless they've changed their views they do not approve. Friend passed their rehoming check but her insistence that her dogs all slept upstairs with her on the bed was quite a sticking point. She did get the dog but the RSPCA weren't happy about the dogs sleeping on her bed. I 'think' it was about over dependence, but could be wrong on that.

We have a blanket no dogs upstairs policy - I've been roasted for that before. Cruel, apparently. Dogs sleep indoors and downstairs. Used to be just in the kitchen, but somehow the current JRT gets the run of the dining room as well. Not sure how she wangled that, but she's very happy down there.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
My wee pooper is completely deaf, thats why she gets on my bed, and all my side i might add… she likes to snuggle in on the covers behind your legs. In the morning at 5am , she sits up and waits till I lift her off and then I shower and she waits outside the bathroom door which is open. We then go downstairs and into the garden for her needs 😄
If she is bursting for a pee , I can tell so will let her out first 😁

She is my wee sspca doggie 😋