Should there be a weight limit for people at shows (and if so, what and how?!)

palo1

Visit site
Ray The Goth. The fact she has a large following and has sponsorship says it all for me. The slow mo videos of her jumping are incredibly sad to watch.

I don't know quite how to say this but I really struggle to watch certain 'influencers' who look too big for their horses. I have had Blog of A Cob (ellie) pointed out to me before and whilst this rider may be under the 20% threshold, it is hard to see how. I am astounded tbf at how much support is given to that rider and I wonder what this rider thinks and feels about their weight too. She doesn't ever seem to mention it and yet, surely, surely someone must have said somethng? I know I have felt (and been) too big for one of my horses - both my own sense and photos led me to a weigh-in that was quite transformative so I understand the dismay but why is this not a more commonly discussed issue? How do people get to set themselves up with sponsorship and/or as self described influencers in that situation? If there is unethical complicity where companies know they are supporting a poor or potentially questionable welfare situation then setting up individual riders for ridicule is both unfair and ineffective surely? How did we end up with this horrible situation where the weight of riders is widely under discussion yet it feels so personal, so pointed?

jt1775

Visit site
At least Ray the goth has quite a stocky cob. Instagram handle “blog of a cob” rides a small just broken Connemara pony, two medium weight heinzs and a slim warmblood type. The jumping videos are horrendous and someone in her life needs to be honest with her. She has all my sympathy if her weight is caused by an illness whether that be physical or mental, but don’t ride horses until you are lighter.

Goldenstar

Visit site
WHY are people not changing their choices?!! Arrgh.

The only thing I agree with is that riders should not weigh more than their horse can easily carry without developing compensatory movement patterns, or suffering health issues. I agree with you all on that, but the rest, such judgemental bunkum refusing to acknowledge what is it to be human in a modern world.

I'm off, apart from paraphrasing another post higher up - "youre making really sh*tty choices but I'm not judging you". Aren't you all lucky to be so GOOD.

I am not and have said I am good I am at the coal face dealing with this issue everyday , but I know that I am the only person who can influence my choices I can effect how my body works through those choices .
A person makes hundreds of choices everyday about eating / food of course some people have a robust system less likely to develop metabolic issues that’s luck .
Take a look on YouTube at what Professor Spector eats a day that’s the diet of someone less blessed than others in the Insulin sensitivity stakes he eats accordingly.

Upthecreek

Visit site
It's really not a health and fitness club, though it can look like it at first glance, but it's not what's at the core.

Set point weight - what weight your body gravitates to, and why. Working with the factors that affect set point weight - emotional relationship with food, genetics, environment, habits, behaviours....mental health is at the centre of much of this. And it's proven that physical activity is not the best way to lose weight - mind set is where to start, you clearly have that nailed, other people need much more help.

My set point weight has risen because of menopause. Exercise, especially aerobic, would have little effect, but I should exercise more for OTHER health benefits. As it is I have enough on my plate and I'll give myself a break for putting on a little weight - not doing so is highly likely to make me stressed, make me eat more, gain weight AND my set point rises. For now I'll sit with it and work on the other things in my life that make me stressed.

That's how Rebelfit works.

Rebelfit describes itself on it's own Facebook page and website as an online health and fitness club.

You have accused me of being judgemental yet you have done exactly that to me. I don’t have anything “nailed” as you put it. I’m a frazzled mum of 3 with a full-time job and elderly parents to care for. I have a life limiting incurable health condition which means I will have to take medication for the rest of my life. I am experiencing awful peri menopause symptoms so recently started HRT, which causes it’s own issues! My life is stressful and difficult and I don’t have it all worked out, far from it!

But I know being overweight would be bad for my horses and if I want to ride I owe it to them to manage my weight. Alternatively I can stop actively managing my weight and stop riding. That’s the choice.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I'm pretty Buddhist about these things, we all have our own suffering and no-ones is better or worse, and I'm sorry you have all that on your plate.

I am going on what you said, and having something nailed doesn't mean it's not hard work. But you having it nailed, finding something that works for you, doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. I don't see anything judgemental about saying this "The only reason I am not is because I am very careful to ensure that calories in don’t exceed calories out. It takes careful management, but it is possible. " means you have this particular aspect of your life nailed, as much as any of us nail anything.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
"You're too heavy to ride your horse, it is a welfare issue but you are not a bad person because of it. It's not simple, it's not easy, and it's not about dieting. It's about building a better relationship with food, but first is likely to be your situation with stress and how it affects you. By dealing with that, your environment, your genetics, your influences, your emotions....we should be able to find ways to help you be happier and less stressed. Then we can help you learn to eat a normal diet without guilt, and without huge ongoing stress. This in itself may be enough to reduce your set point weight.

"Then, if you want to be healthier, we can get you doing more exercise. You might lose weight, you might not. If you are doing exercise, have a great relationship with food, but aren't losing weight, then maybe we can look at some nutritional planning to help you learn to control your weight, and have tools for when you gain weight. But the biggest issue then is not to feel stressed because you've gained weight, accept it's a normal part of life, and just redo the work to reset your set point weight.

"Oh and if menopause is possibly the biggest factor affecting your weight, let's use that as a filter for the above process, as your solutions may be slightly different to someone not going through peri/menopause".

If that's a health and fitness club then so be it.

Kat

Visit site
Bloody hell some of those Instagram pages! Those poor horses.

Not particularly unusual sadly. I was out at a pleasure ride recently, on a hot day in hilly country and the number of grossly overweight cobs carrying overweight women who were overspilling their saddles was very sad.

I am struggling to get my weight down for my horse as I am closer than I would like to 20% and I feel quite worried about being judged as too heavy. I don't know how these people can post so publicly and seek out extra followers.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Not particularly unusual sadly. I was out at a pleasure ride recently, on a hot day in hilly country and the number of grossly overweight cobs carrying overweight women who were overspilling their saddles was very sad.

I am struggling to get my weight down for my horse as I am closer than I would like to 20% and I feel quite worried about being judged as too heavy. I don't know how these people can post so publicly and seek out extra followers.

It’s been normalised , for horses and people that’s why .

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

I'm so shocked to see that the rider that I saw out competing is active on Instagram... I sort of feel that it's very bad for equestrianism as a whole that can happen unchecked.

scats

Visit site
The calories in v energy spent isn’t perfect, but it’s a good place to start, although I am aware that some people have factors that don’t make this as easy. Unfortunately there will be people who have to cut back on calories more than others. And I recognise that that’s very hard. I couldn’t care less what size people want to be, but I do stand by the fact that the welfare of the horse must come before our own feelings.

Just a little side note, when I was put onto one of my medications, I gained nearly 2 stone over a period of about 2 years. I was still within the healthy BMI but I felt far too large for me. My usual ‘cut back’ on a few things just wasn’t working, so I had to sit down and really look at my meals. I was shocked at actually how little calories a human needs to function. If you work out 1500-2000 calories into three meals, they are really very tiny and it doesn’t allow for very much inbetween. I realised that actually, I had been overeating, even if I didn’t realise it. Prior to the medication, I got away with it, I’d gain a few pounds and then cut the snacks out and get that off within a week. But that wasn’t working anymore so I had to be very, very strict with myself.
It was a total change for me and it was hard to get my head around.

A lot of pubs now put the calories on their meals on menus and that’s quite an eye opener!

eahotson

Visit site
There is more to this than simple weight, within certain parameters of course, those pics at the beginning of the thread are truly hideous and defy even simple common sense.
There is saddle fit.Many people think they can fit saddles and haven't got a clue.I let a "friend" who was a riding instructor fit one for me because she assured me that she knew all about it.It swung on his shoulders and gave no end of problems.Had to get physio out and proper saddle fitter. Bought another horse off a riding school, saddle included which he was ridden in very regularly.Too small it turns out and with a broken tree (I was very ignorant at that time) and another who told me that the equine college she was at taught them to fit saddles.She had a little cob, was very large and she sat on the cantle.I could include more.
My last horse was a 14'3 ish Welsh cob.Passed a five star vetting ha ha.Got him home.Noticed the patches of muscle wastage on his back. He came with a saddle.Physio first call.She said he was stiff from the tip of his ears to the root of his tail.After physio his one quarter dropped and he carried his tail to one side.It took over two years of physio, a correctly fitting saddle and some very patient correct schooling from my instructor to put that right.We did get it right though.
I saw one young warmblood nearly destroyed by his very slim rider because of the harsh and incorrect schooling he had.He had to be retired at the age of eight.

eahotson

Visit site
The calories in v energy spent isn’t perfect, but it’s a good place to start, although I am aware that some people have factors that don’t make this as easy. Unfortunately there will be people who have to cut back on calories more than others. And I recognise that that’s very hard. I couldn’t care less what size people want to be, but I do stand by the fact that the welfare of the horse must come before our own feelings.

Just a little side note, when I was put onto one of my medications, I gained nearly 2 stone over a period of about 2 years. I was still within the healthy BMI but I felt far too large for me. My usual ‘cut back’ on a few things just wasn’t working, so I had to sit down and really look at my meals. I was shocked at actually how little calories a human needs to function. If you work out 1500-2000 calories into three meals, they are really very tiny and it doesn’t allow for very much inbetween. I realised that actually, I had been overeating, even if I didn’t realise it. Prior to the medication, I got away with it, I’d gain a few pounds and then cut the snacks out and get that off within a week. But that wasn’t working anymore so I had to be very, very strict with myself.
It was a total change for me and it was hard to get my head around.

A lot of pubs now put the calories on their meals on menus and that’s quite an eye opener!
I like that they put the calorie counter on menus now but I do think as well that we are bigger and heavier than previous generations because we have better housing, better diet and better health care.If you go to the far East you often see very tiiny adults.I particularly noticed this in Vietnam where the generation who had lived through what they call the "American War" where food had been very scarce were very small.Subsequent generations were bigger and heavier.

Floofball

Visit site
Maybe riding clubs/shows/organisations can add to their rules that if a rider looks underhorsed for any reason they could be asked to be weighed with a 20% max including tack (although still seems a lot to ask in some scenarios ?‍♀️) The onus would then be on the rider to make sure they were within acceptable tolerances ‘just in case’. Surely promoting equine welfare should be at the forefront of any of these organisations?
I struggle with my weight and have a lovely 16.3 lightweight hunter. These are classed as being able to carry 13st so that is my guideline. Maybe it would help to have weight guidance for more classes/disciplines?
I think if it’s made common knowledge/promoted that a certain rider weight % is detrimental to the horse/pony by said organisations then it could be introduced. Riding schools/holidays etc have a weight limit?
I don’t see the issue as ‘fat bashing’ but a ‘your too big/heavy’
BTW currently cutting out bread, wine, beer and chocolate in an attempt to ride said lovely horse!!!

fetlock

Visit site
I can understand some posters taking comments personally in the thread as to take the higher ground as to how well you may do in terms of keeping your own weight down, is a tad unfair and quite sanctimonious. It isn't always that straightforward. Meds, hormones, menopause, shot to pieces metabolism, disability etc etc can make it extremely difficult to avoid gaining weight, or shifting it once gained.

On saying that, if somone is carrying a bit of excess weight and can get their weight down by cutting back on food, changing what they eat and/or exercising for the comfort of their horse then great. If they are unable to for whatever reason, they do need to be realistic and either buy a more weight carrying horse if it does come to that. If they can't, then don't ride. The horse absolutely has to come first. It's as simple as that.

scats

Visit site
I like that they put the calorie counter on menus now but I do think as well that we are bigger and heavier than previous generations because we have better housing, better diet and better health care.If you go to the far East you often see very tiiny adults.I particularly noticed this in Vietnam where the generation who had lived through what they call the "American War" where food had been very scarce were very small.Subsequent generations were bigger and heavier.

For me, the calorie thing on menus is a bit off putting. I rarely ever go for a meal, so the reality is when I do, I want to eat without thinking too much about it or feeling guilty. I have changed my choice of food based on the calories on the menu, purposefully not eaten a pudding and still felt guilty afterwards.
But I understand why they do it.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
For me, the calorie thing on menus is a bit off putting. I rarely ever go for a meal, so the reality is when I do, I want to eat without thinking too much about it or feeling guilty. I have changed my choice of food based on the calories on the menu, purposefully not eaten a pudding and still felt guilty afterwards.

I find the calories on menus really really helpful. I eat out a lot for various reasons, making sensible choices is so much easier when I can see the actual facts in front of me.

scats

Visit site
I find the calories on menus really really helpful. I eat out a lot for various reasons, making sensible choices is so much easier when I can see the actual facts in front of me.

I wish there was a little flap you could lift up if you want to see the calories or keep closed if you really don’t ?

eahotson

Visit site
Fair enough.Despite everything I tend to eat what I want because,like you,I don't eat out very often.

maggiestar

Visit site
My old riding school had a blanket weight limit of 12 stone. Bearing in mind the horses had to carry a lot of unbalanced beginners, I think that was fair. I remember weighing myself once and being shocked to find I had crept up to just over 11 stone and thinking 'crikey, I'd better try and lose a bit' even though I cycled everywhere and ate quite healthily.
Our metabolism changes all the time due to factors such as age and health (physical and mental). It's no surprise that we're bigger than previous generations when you look at how little time some of us have to cook from scratch or even walk to work. So I have no judgement of anyone's size and I feel very sad to read how it affects some people here. Riding is therapeutic so I get how difficult it is to hear weight mentioned in relation to horse welfare, especially if it means having to give up something that gives such happiness. But ultimately we are the intelligent ones. We have choices. My sympathy is always with the horse in this situation. We can't always get what we want! I don't ride anymore btw, I know I'm too heavy these days.

SO1

Visit site
A lot of brands are looking for ambassadors that resemble "real people" rather than skinny blondes on SJ's or dressage horses.

It is probably massively easy to get these opportunities as brands try and diversify their marketing. Ray the Goth she is an ambassador for Forelock and Fringe I think which I subcribe to and I can see why they have gone for her as there are a lot of cob owners and larger riders out there who have money to spend.

A local professional dressage rider has started a new clothing range and the marketing is very focused at riders of all sizes. For a brand to succeed they have to be seen to include larger riders in their advertising now, I do think companies are missing a trick by often not including older riders, ageism is still there in some respects there are plenty of over 50s with horses and spending power but perhaps less influenced by social media adds.

One of my friends is large and has tried all sorts of diets and exercise plans over the years and has also invested in liposuction. However it turned out she had a medical condition. Lipoedema which was the reason the interventions were not as successful as they would be in a normal person. She does a lot of awareness raising and feels it is more common that people think. She doesn't ride horses or have horses she likes cats.

https://www.lipoedema.co.uk/about-lipoedema/symptoms/

As someone who is 8 stone I don't feel massively comfortable commenting on weight but I am an adult on a pony as I don't feel confident riding horses. If I got too heavy for ponies I wouldn't buy a horse I am only 5.1ft.

I don't know quite how to say this but I really struggle to watch certain 'influencers' who look too big for their horses. I have had Blog of A Cob (ellie) pointed out to me before and whilst this rider may be under the 20% threshold, it is hard to see how. I am astounded tbf at how much support is given to that rider and I wonder what this rider thinks and feels about their weight too. She doesn't ever seem to mention it and yet, surely, surely someone must have said somethng? I know I have felt (and been) too big for one of my horses - both my own sense and photos led me to a weigh-in that was quite transformative so I understand the dismay but why is this not a more commonly discussed issue? How do people get to set themselves up with sponsorship and/or as self described influencers in that situation? If there is unethical complicity where companies know they are supporting a poor or potentially questionable welfare situation then setting up individual riders for ridicule is both unfair and ineffective surely? How did we end up with this horrible situation where the weight of riders is widely under discussion yet it feels so personal, so pointed?

Kat

Visit site
On Genes people had the same Genes in the fifties and looking at news film reel is enlightening .
I used to collect China from the 1950s the plate sizes also tell a tale

They had the same genes but the food available was very different.

Ultra processed foods, trans fats, artificial sweeteners and hidden sugar have a huge amount to answer for in the obesity epidemic. Then there is the erroneous advice on low fat diets that is still peddled.

Kat

Visit site
A lot of brands are looking for ambassadors that resemble "real people" rather than skinny blondes on SJ's or dressage horses.

It is probably massively easy to get these opportunities as brands try and diversify their marketing. Ray the Goth she is an ambassador for Forelock and Fringe I think which I subcribe to and I can see why they have gone for her as there are a lot of cob owners and larger riders out there who have money to spend.

A local professional dressage rider has started a new clothing range and the marketing is very focused at riders of all sizes. For a brand to succeed they have to be seen to include larger riders in their advertising now, I do think companies are missing a trick by often not including older riders, ageism is still there in some respects there are plenty of over 50s with horses and spending power but perhaps less influenced by social media adds.

One of my friends is large and has tried all sorts of diets and exercise plans over the years and has also invested in liposuction. However it turned out she had a medical condition. Lipoedema which was the reason the interventions were not as successful as they would be in a normal person. She does a lot of awareness raising and feels it is more common that people think. She doesn't ride horses or have horses she likes cats.

https://www.lipoedema.co.uk/about-lipoedema/symptoms/

As someone who is 8 stone I don't feel massively comfortable commenting on weight but I am an adult on a pony as I don't feel confident riding horses. If I got too heavy for ponies I wouldn't buy a horse I am only 5.1ft.

There are influencers out there who look like "real people" without being a welfare concern. Wimpy Eventer is a good one who people will have heard of, not fat, just a normal woman having normal battles with her body. I love that she's prepared to show her post baby tummy and efforts to shed the baby weight. Christa from Blackhill eventing is another who looks like a normal relatable person but isn't too big for her horses.

I would be put off a brand that used someone like Ray the Goth as it reflects so badly on their ethics and values.