Shwmae horse products

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
putting money into their own accounts mean when they bailiffs or whoever come knocking they still have money as their personal accounts are safe. On the other hand HMRC be interested in these payments as it be classed as income and tax will need to be paid on it.

honetpot

Visit site
If anyone has the time listen todays You and Yours, Radio 4, that's what got me thinking. If you were running a company which is obviously has some unhappy customers, does not comply with UK consumer laws as has been doing this for a while, has been told on several occasions that are not abiding by the law and has a court judgement against them, why would you not do anything about it? We have given these people the benefit of the doubt,' their young, they are ill advised', but their responses are not rational and certainly not about running a successful company and building a respected brand. Its all about getting people to part with their money preferably by bank transfer which by the sounds of it is not in to the Limited companies account. They are a limited company.
I am not an accountant, that's why I think someone with a good knowledge of accounts needs to track the amount of sales against goods provided and work out their turnover and would have a better grasp of HMRC rules.
I would say to anyone who decides to buy from them, PAY BY PAYPAL, not as a gift. Then at least you will know that if you have a problem you have a chance of getting the matter resolved.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Is this Goundhog day ?.... everyday this post is on the front page ! lol - it made me snigger and wonder if one day it will turn out any different....

i.e. "can we hall hat Shwmae hoss products just say that we iz so glad you bin hour customers - we iz so proud of wat we av acheived - we wood return yaw dosh or gid ya shoddy goods that wow last long - but we aye gunna"

followed by....

Can we at Shwmae Horse Products just appologise as our web site has been hacked......

Jonesy

Visit site
Actually you don't have to have separate accounts for a ltd company or a business being run as self employed. If you do then it does make things easier seeing where money is/has gone so to speak.

It seems whilst they are registered as a ltd company - possibly to limit the liabities should it go pear shaped, they are actually running the company analogous to a self employed business where they would be liable for debt shoe the company run into financial trouble.

Aside from the above as a general rule it does make business sense to be a ltd company for tax purposes, it may be they are paid a monthly salary (annually below tax threshold) and then dividends at the end of the financial year.

Last edited:

sarahann1

Visit site
In case anyone needs it, there trading address is Fairways, Pendine, SA33 4PA.

In a small defense of new businesses, it's perfectly normal for a new business to post losses in the 1st couple of years depending on initial start up costs etc.

Darremi

Visit site
Actually you don't have to have separate accounts for a ltd company or a business being run as self employed. If you do then it does make things easier seeing where money is/has gone so to speak.

It seems whilst they are registered as a ltd company - possibly to limit the liabities should it go pear shaped, they are actually running the company analogous to a self employed business where they would be liable for debt shoe the company run into financial trouble.

Aside from the above as a general rule it does make business sense to be a ltd company for tax purposes, it may be they are paid a monthly salary (annually below tax threshold) and then dividends at the end of the financial year.

Actually according to Company Check Shwmae is a company limited by shares. This means that directors are not personally liable for the debts of the company unless the have given a personal guarantee (such as to secure a banking credit facility) or in some circumstances were the directors to be found in breach of their duties.

Otherwise, the debts can only be settled by the assets of the company.

Furthermore, dividends cannot be paid unless a company has distributable profits.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07815626/SHWMAE-PRODUCTS-LIMITED

Jonesy

Visit site
I didn't say they were personally liable being a ltd company and I apologise if you read my comments as such. But they APPEAR to be running the company 'analogous' to a sole trader (who is personally liable for any debts) and not a ltd company by the way they are trading.

My last paragraph about dividends payable was regarding ltd co's in general and not directed at shwmae.

honetpot

Visit site
Yes most companies are running at a loss because of set up costs in the first few years. By the looks of it their costs main are working from home, cheap website, mobile phone, sewing machines,materials and labour. My daughter is a seamstress/designer so I have some idea of set up costs which are not a lot in comparison to many other businesses. If they are not actually making or sending out goods paid for in advance their costs for that 'garment' are virtually nothing. As these items are supposed to be 'made to measure', probably more like made to order they are not carrying unsold stock. They may have the cost of ordered material held in stock but the biggest cost should be the labour when the item is made. I would just like to know how many people have actually received what they paid for. They could be running at a loss but unless they hold a huge sock of material and its unlikely that they have permanent outside staff, in the clothing trade there is a lot of part time casual workers, I would like to know where all the £200's are going?
If they were concerned about their unhappy customers at all I would give them the benefit of the doubt but now I am not so sure. I also wonder if they will actually pay the judgement against them? Just because you win it doesn't mean they pay up and you may have to employ bailiffs.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Sending threats by text is considered the same as threatening calls and would be a criminal offence under the Nuisance Call Act - can be reported to police and Ofcom

I think you might mean the Malicious Communications Act. 2 counts or more constitute harassment: hopefully people who have had adverse dealings/communication with the company have retained their evidence.

Jonesy

Visit site
Given the length of time it takes to dispatch goods (when they are actually sent) along with advising customers that certain patterns are no longer available, to me it would appear that the material is ordered once the customer has placed their order?

'Off the peg' items seem to be received by the customer quite promptly, again leading me to believe the company already holds these items in stock.

NicolaC

Visit site
Wow after 3 days I have finally managed to get through all the posts!
I bought a lycra hood from shwmae 2 1/2 years ago for my yearling. Always very polite and the product wasn't too bad. Not the best but didn't pay the amount they now charge. I did however have to chase them up for delivery as I told them I want it before Equifest. Got loads of excuses including poorly horses. I picked it up directly from Jessica at Equifest on the Friday while I was competing with my other horse.
Have only used it a maximum of 10 times if that and it has a hole in the neck seam where it hasn't been sewn up properly. It will now be stitched up and sold as my boy has out grown it.
I need a couple of new fleece and lycra rugs but will definitely not be buying from this company and going to snuggy or shires as I have already got a black full lycra from them and it is great.
Keep up the good work and make them pay what they owe!

cptrayes

Visit site
Can I just point out that anyone owed money by this company, who can prove that it is owed, for example by non payment of a court order or non payment of an invoice or a refund acknowledged in writing but never sent, should be able to issue a winding up notice against the company with very little hassle.

Jonesy

Visit site
Given the length of time it takes to dispatch goods (when they are actually sent) along with advising customers that certain patterns are no longer available, to me it would appear that the material is ordered once the customer has placed their order?

'Off the peg' items seem to be received by the customer quite promptly, again leading me to believe the company already holds these items in stock.

As I can't seem to edit my own posts .... re the above, plenty of companies make items to order, maybe Shwmae just need to be more realistic on dispatch times?

PolarSkye

Visit site

If this is true, then they shouldn't be taking money from customers for express delivery. Also, if they had a better handle on ordering patterns, they could be more efficient in the way they deal with their suppliers/source material. As I said in my rather long post a couple of pages back, they need to take a much more grown up/mature approach to this business lark - I suspect they are in way over their heads, which is a shame.

P

Jonesy

Visit site
If this is true, then they shouldn't be taking money from customers for express delivery. Also, if they had a better handle on ordering patterns, they could be more efficient in the way they deal with their suppliers/source material. As I said in my rather long post a couple of pages back, they need to take a much more grown up/mature approach to this business lark - I suspect they are in way over their heads, which is a shame.

P

Indeed, common sense and a realistic approach and the company could be a great success. No one minds a wait on their purchase if they are going to get exactly what they want, and of course they are given a realistic time span of when they should expect to receive said item.
A well known saddlepad/travel boot maker does travel boots in different colours to order and I believe state an 8 week turn around. Atleast you then know exactly how long you will be waiting and if the item shows up earlier than the estimated date - you are even more of a happy and satisfied customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.