So, I’m picking up a spaniel this week.

Clodagh

Visit site
She’s settling really well. If I’m off the premises she’s quiet, does carry on when I’m at home but that is such a big improvement in such a short time.
The kennels should be finished today, although are already usable, so her and Scout will be sleeping out from Monday. They are already out for periods of time during the day.
She is learning that being with a human is not so exciting and you can actually sit down with them and relax.

Attachments

• A4F1BC62-BDDB-4C5E-9AAC-C73AC8AA9252.jpeg
    A4F1BC62-BDDB-4C5E-9AAC-C73AC8AA9252.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 50

Clodagh

Visit site
What’s even more exciting is she has gone to lie down on the grass away from me. She’s keeping an eye but this is a big step. I can now claim I’m not just sitting in the garden, I’m training the dog ?

Attachments

• 01C6F55E-1CE7-4EA6-BB5C-85C2973883BC.jpeg
    01C6F55E-1CE7-4EA6-BB5C-85C2973883BC.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 54

Chiffy

Visit site
Well done Clodagh, glad she is proving a success for you. I fear you will never convert me to spaniels but then I can’t persuade you that flatcoats can be perfectly sane and obedient dogs!

Clodagh

Visit site
Well done Clodagh, glad she is proving a success for you. I fear you will never convert me to spaniels but then I can’t persuade you that flatcoats can be perfectly sane and obedient dogs!
I’m afraid I’d probably have 5 spaniels over one flatcoat ?.
With the proviso that they are all as easy as this one has been so far.

Chiffy

Visit site
Clodagh I think you wind me up on purpose but it is obviously what one observes and you have seen a nutty flatcoat and I was in a gundog training group with the most ridiculous , unmanageable, hyper Springer you could imagine.

Clodagh

Visit site
Clodagh I think you wind me up on purpose but it is obviously what one observes and you have seen a nutty flatcoat and I was in a gundog training group with the most ridiculous , unmanageable, hyper Springer you could imagine.
I’d never collect spaniels, as you know. This one is 5 and trained so really it’s easy. I am only setting out to wind you up, be calm! ?

Clodagh

Visit site
She’s doing well. She does show her lack of training by ignoring me if she is busy but we are making progress. Heel is a nightmare, but after much walking up and down the lane constantly changing direction and stopping we can achieve it. The neighbours must think I’m nuts!
Stop is great within the 5 yard box. Hit and miss, usually miss, outside that.
I’m enjoying training her, it is great having the fenced paddock to work in.

Clodagh

Visit site
As a true expression of love she has decided she’d like to go back to the vets and has developed a (edited to say, small aural) haematoma. ?

Last edited: