Summer...ID bought unseen from Ireland...

PaddyMonty

Visit site
PaddyMonty, I am trying to pin down a somewhat elusive dressage trainer. If no joy, I will get the school availability for the weekend when I go up later and we will see what we can arrange.
I'll be at keysoe saturday afternoon watching SJ so if you're around come find me.

catembi

Visit site
Yay, we went on a hack! Photo evidence: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArXRIdpOCNNFu2mIcCZkIUfyyBiy

O/h came to supervise. She was striding our nicely...she has Catembi’s big walk. She was uncertain to start with, then got into it. We saw horses in a field, had to go from sun to shade to go down a narrow woodland track and met a builder’s bag thing made of flappy plastic on the track. I was going to wait and make o/h remove it, but she walked practically OVER it! A good time was had by all!

catembi

Visit site
PaddyMonty, I am trying to PM you but can’t work out how to do it from my phone, aaarrrggghhh...! I was going to say, what time will you be there, and send you my mobile no!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Lovely updates OP, I think with some work she will turn out to be a cracking mare! she seems to have the right "can do" attitude.

catembi

Visit site
Oh, not to worry. Maybe another weekend? Might be better waiting til her teeth have been done as I think there’s an issue there.

catembi

Visit site
Thank you for asking! We had the most fabulous hack on Monday after work! We did about 4 miles, mostly offroad, on a variety of terrains, saw a small amount of traffic & she was so perfect! I know that most people wouldn't be excited by a 70 minute hack, mostly in walk, but it's been sooooooo long since I hacked 'properly'! Trev wouldn't entertain the idea of hacking alone & if I forced him, he would spend the whole time screaming his head off, jogging, trying to shake my hands off the reins so he could run home, spooking, did I mention jogging, rearing, odd bucking fit... It was so nice just to sit there & admire the view. At one point, she wanted to look at something behind her - if Trev ever did that, he would then get the snorts & **** off if he could. But she just looked at it until she'd finished looking (wind turbine) & then carried on.

Teeth were done yesterday & they were apparently quite sharp (probably never been done) so it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference later. I am also eyeing up an ID-only dressage comp for a good month's time. If I can get some steering & brakes in the school, we can then get a jumping saddle & see what the jump is like.

Honestly, I know people think I'm mad for doing what I've done (and I probably am...), but it was worth the full purchase price for that one hack :)

dixie

Visit site
Thank you for asking! We had the most fabulous hack on Monday after work! We did about 4 miles, mostly offroad, on a variety of terrains, saw a small amount of traffic & she was so perfect! I know that most people wouldn't be excited by a 70 minute hack, mostly in walk, but it's been sooooooo long since I hacked 'properly'! Trev wouldn't entertain the idea of hacking alone & if I forced him, he would spend the whole time screaming his head off, jogging, trying to shake my hands off the reins so he could run home, spooking, did I mention jogging, rearing, odd bucking fit... It was so nice just to sit there & admire the view. At one point, she wanted to look at something behind her - if Trev ever did that, he would then get the snorts & **** off if he could. But she just looked at it until she'd finished looking (wind turbine) & then carried on.

Teeth were done yesterday & they were apparently quite sharp (probably never been done) so it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference later. I am also eyeing up an ID-only dressage comp for a good month's time. If I can get some steering & brakes in the school, we can then get a jumping saddle & see what the jump is like.

Honestly, I know people think I'm mad for doing what I've done (and I probably am...), but it was worth the full purchase price for that one hack :)

Brilliant, just love this post. So great you are getting so much positive stuff from her already. I look forward to regular updates !!

[59668]

Visit site
Aw yay! I'm so pleased! I really love these stories. I was really tempted by just buying unseen from Gerty when I was looking for a horse last year....she just seems to have some lovely types.

I just wasn't brave enough in the end, but I do LOVE hearing stories from those who are.

Will you keep this thread updated?

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Wow, haven't read the whole thread but did take a peek at her advert - she's beautiful!!!!!!! Lucky you, hope you have a great time together.

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
Our RS has had two off Gerty unseen (I'm fairly sure the same one!) and both have been lovely sorts, although the 4 y/o was a lot greener than expected(read wasn't keen on being mounted, had a tendency to shoot off at speed if you so much as took a stride out of balance) but not a nasty bone

That said with a bit of time and work she's turned into a fab school horse!

Based on that I'm considering speaking to her with a shopping for one for myself now my mare has been retired

Pippity

Visit site

I know that feeling! My share horse is interesting to hack, so I'll occasionally book myself onto a local riding school's half-day hacks, just to have the blissful experience of, as you say, sitting there and admiring the view. She sounds fab.

fuze

Visit site
What a fantastic thread - so pleased for you, OP! Having just bought unseen from Ireland myself, I only hope my experience is half as positive as yours!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I dont think you are mad at all. I see people looking for months on end and it still ends in disaster so why not buy the way you did? Makes total sense to me and is what I would do if my budget stretched to it :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m another who doesn’t think you’re mad at all. I had mine at livery for like 3 days and basically relied on my yo to say yeah, it’s fine, he’s a good one. Also straight from Ireland, green as grass.

The feeling of hacking and just being able to relax and enjoy looking at stuff is amazing. I think you’ve got a cracking girl there.

catembi

Visit site
Yes, exactly Leo, my two previous purchases have ended in disaster, and one of them had the most immaculate SJ pedigree, passed a 5 stage with flying colours, cost not far shy of 5 figures & *still* turned out to have EPSM, and the two I've liked when searching this time under my own steam have failed the vet, so I was thinking that I couldn't do much worse.

Interestingly, if I had tried her, I probably *wouldn't* have bought her due to lack of basic training, but now I've got her, I am really enjoying that total lack of edge/sharpness. You know when something happens, e.g. plastic bag related, & you think, uh-oh, best hold onto my hat, & then instead of it all kicking off, it blows over without Consequences. I am really enjoying not having to repeatedly sit tight! And I don't think she is going to be as much of 'a project' as I'd first thought - the teeth have already made a big difference, and we are already getting the odd 30 seconds of dressage horse amid the Sherman tank!

We are having a dr lesson later with someone who won the novice champs, so we shall see how that goes. I will try to get pictures, but o/h always manages to take them at the wrong time :)

Asha

Visit site
Interestingly, if I had tried her, I probably *wouldn't* have bought her due to lack of basic training, but now I've got her, I am really enjoying that total lack of edge/sharpness. You know when something happens, e.g. plastic bag related, & you think, uh-oh, best hold onto my hat, & then instead of it all kicking off, it blows over without Consequences. I am really enjoying not having to repeatedly sit tight! And I don't think she is going to be as much of 'a project' as I'd first thought - the teeth have already made a big difference, and we are already getting the odd 30 seconds of dressage horse amid the Sherman tank!)

I totally get where you are coming from . After riding my homebred idxwb s , who spook first and think later ,( by which time we would be half way across the arena / or in another field ) it’s so refreshing to ride a full ID , who simply goes “ what’s that “ and carries on. I find if something really does worry her , her reactions are much slower as well . So glad it’s working out for you .

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't think you are mad, you obviously have the experience and resources to make her into an even nicer horse :)

but I think AA is correct when she says its not good for a novice or nervous owner to do this.