Tell we what you see , besides a lame pony

Horsekaren

Visit site
I think that depends whether the OP can be confident enough with him out hacking to have him working properly
Well thats a big fat no, my confidence is on the floor, if i cant get him to turn left in walk in the school there is no way i am going to hack him confidently. i can get on him in the yard and ride him the 4 min walk to his field, at the moment i dont trust him to go further.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Well thats a big fat no, my confidence is on the floor, if i cant get him to turn left in walk in the school there is no way i am going to hack him confidently. i can get on him in the yard and ride him the 4 min walk to his field, at the moment i dont trust him to go further.
HK while I'm sorry that you're feeling like this I think its important to be honest with yourself so I commend you for that. In order to get him in consistent work it has to feel achievable for you. I would definitely seek out someone either to come to you very regularly, or else send him to someone that can both work him and teach you how to, so you both get some benefits from it.
Theres no point in people saying you should just hack him, if you know deep down inside that you cant do that right now. There are other ways to achieve what you need to do.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
HK, I think you need to take LW's advice (if you can afford it) and send him away for a month to six weeks to get someone else to get some real work into him and expose whether he is having you on or he has a real issue somewhere.

It's not a failure on your part, it's the only sensible way out of the bind he's put you in, for whatever reason he's put you in it. It will also take the pressure off you, which I think you probably need by now.

I know it all feels overwhelming and like complete shit just now, but there is a route forward with an answer at the end of it.

This isn't you, it's horse owning. I swear they are put on earth to test us. Keep your pecker up, we are here to help.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk

I do feel you, best thing I could recommend is to get some help. On a side note, I don't like working horses in 'their' space, i.e. field, I find they don't concentrate as much and don't relax enough. Is there no one else you can hack with? I compete a fair bit at a decent level, but I find my boy likes to go for walks in hand so we do that if I want to get some work into him without getting stressed out. I worked with Thoroughbreds most of my life, so I walk a decent pace sometimes I run on the road with him, I only school once a week and then hack out or lunge the rest of the time and we are competing Medium. My horse has a fair few health issues, hock arthritis, proximal suspensory desmitis and coffin joint arthritis to name a few and it keeps him sweet so he doesn't resent the school.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
You need good help on the ground, and preferably a bit on top too so they can show him the right way.

Yep this.

With out actually being there on the group we can't tell you what to do.

In reality you don't need the reins to turn them you use your shoulders.

I would find an instructor who is trained in classical dressage and go from there.

The leaning on the right could be a multitude of things including that he just finds it easier due to muscle development and you could be lopsided.

My weaker side is my left, my boy had a op on his right hind. This created a little bit of a ridden problem with him wanting to lean and not use that leg.
With lots of work, mainly walk and trot, with getting him straight, then leg yielding in and out on a circle to get him to use that leg he has come a long way but bare in mind it has taken me a good year and for 8 months of that we did not do any canter work as the trot needed to improve

We also did and still do a lot of the time the work in half or quarter of the pace as they find it a lot harder because they have to balance. Rushing means they can't balance.

So my advice would be don't worry too much about looking pretty, where his head is apart from going straight, and working "hard" as in a fast pace and doing too many things at once as it all leads on to one another.
Slow it down and be consistent and that will work him harder than you think.

And look for a classical dressage instructor.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Trotted up sound
Flexion tests fine
Lunged sound

Funny, as my coloured cob trotted up sound, lunged fine and was 100% found after flexions as well.
We ONLY found his badly arthritic neck after x-raying his full body. To add, bute made no difference not at 4 a day for a 14.1 pony. I had to push and push for x-ray, I knew he didn't feel right! One vet who was suppose to be 'the lameness expert' told me he was taking the piss and I needed to ride him harder at first!

I think the advice here is great, sending him away is a good idea as a new yard, rider etc would be interesting to see how he goes.

indie1282

Visit site

Can you long line him out?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Many horses behave better out of the school, than in it but if you are not confident to hack, there is a problem. Can you send him away to someone who will hack him, or pay someone to hack him from home, so that he gets used to your hacking routes and you see that he is confident on the roads? I never like artificial surfaces for rehabbing horses, as imo, they are often the cause of the problems

indie1282

Visit site
Many horses behave better out of the school, than in it but if you are not confident to hack, there is a problem. Can you send him away to someone who will hack him, or pay someone to hack him from home, so that he gets used to your hacking routes and you see that he is confident on the roads? I never like artificial surfaces for rehabbing horses, as imo, they are often the cause of the problems

I agree, a surface is not the best for rehabbing. I also think this horse might be a bit school sour and could be a completely different animal out hacking. If you are not confident riding or long lining then I would walk in hand at least.

OdinsMum

Visit site
Apologies, this is a long thread and I have only scrolled through but how about the stifle joint? He seems to be short on the right? hind from video and my boy does occasionally suffer from this due to previous injury.

Second video seemed like a spasm? Maybe a trapped nerve?

Horsekaren

Visit site
Well, its been a long time coming but we finally had a good day!!!!!
For the last week i have really been working on his manors, forwards/ backwards, moving his legs, standing still, grooming him in the field and instilling in him that he cannot graze whilst im grooming and its all been going great. When we went to the vets its took us 40 mins to load so we practiced that again with great success, he is now walking himself up into the trailer happily :D

And to top it all off i got on board, he stool still at the mounting block, i then hopped on for 10 mins, walked on a lose rein and was just doing figures of 8s and changing directions with my legs, keeping him off the fence line and he relaxed on the left rein! He started to nap toward my husband so a bit of leg and he quickly stopped :D A massive success and built my confidence up. I am taking him to a trainer this weekend so i think that will set us on the right path, he will possible stay there for a bit if the trainer thinks it will help :)

Im tipping i know but its been a while! and this saddle has been on the rack for 4 months as i preferred the GP
67549537_10158018440014063_8821454404658921472_n.jpg

Interestingly i went to clean his sheath yesterday as id noticed he was kicking his belly and swatting it a lot the last few days and there is really dark red/ brown clumps in there. I didnt want to meddle incase its dry blood so he is having a sheath cleaner come and look at him in a few hours. Can you imagine if that has actually got a lot to do with a lot :O

Melody Grey

Visit site
Well, its been a long time coming but we finally had a good day!!!!!
For the last week i have really been working on his manors, forwards/ backwards, moving his legs, standing still, grooming him in the field and instilling in him that he cannot graze whilst im grooming and its all been going great. When we went to the vets its took us 40 mins to load so we practiced that again with great success, he is now walking himself up into the trailer happily :D

And to top it all off i got on board, he stool still at the mounting block, i then hopped on for 10 mins, walked on a lose rein and was just doing figures of 8s and changing directions with my legs, keeping him off the fence line and he relaxed on the left rein! He started to nap toward my husband so a bit of leg and he quickly stopped :D A massive success and built my confidence up. I am taking him to a trainer this weekend so i think that will set us on the right path, he will possible stay there for a bit if the trainer thinks it will help :)

Im tipping i know but its been a while! and this saddle has been on the rack for 4 months as i preferred the GP
View attachment 35154

Interestingly i went to clean his sheath yesterday as id noticed he was kicking his belly and swatting it a lot the last few days and there is really dark red/ brown clumps in there. I didnt want to meddle incase its dry blood so he is having a sheath cleaner come and look at him in a few hours. Can you imagine if that has actually got a lot to do with a lot :O

Keep up the great work!!!
Yes- a bean won’t be helping if he has one. Well done OP for keeping an open mind and working through everyone’s suggestions.

tristar

Visit site
he looks relaxed in the pic.

i m not a fan of sending ANY horse to someone strange, if it was my horse i would want to see every move he makes and observe,how do do know what they will do to him? trying to ride him `through` his behaviour might be right or it could be wrong

it all comes down to your confidence and mainly your subtle reading of him in the moment and how you react, , its shxt all round if you are getting chucked off. or having to progress by confrontation, as opposed to progressing by showing him the way, if he can do it in walk the day will come when he WILL do it in trot and canter. barring discovery of some physical issue

my best theory is to do what they can do well and build on it by little steps, so they learn but also come to love being ridden, learn what youcan about the classical approach

fly gunge in the sheath is horrible

Horsekaren

Visit site
Very well done lass.

I've had good and bad experiences with sending horses away. How often will you get to see the horse, etc.?

I have used her for issues before and she is a bit like a horse whisperer! she truely just gets them. I have known of a few cases where she turns the horses away with sore backs, ulcers ect I am 99% sure she will give me home work to do with him rather than keep him. I would be there a lot if he stays as i have time off.

i know a lot of bitless/ halter and bareback stuff is done there so it wont be about beating him down until he goes well it will be a confidence, trust building and relaxation type thing. I wouldn't send him anywhere else!

Horsekaren

Visit site
Sooo a little update :)
He went away to an amazing lady for a week, I went and had lessons everyday and we worked through a lot.
Luckily he did the strange gate with her and she was able to come to the conclusion it was tension over his back from the rider. She also found that his tmj was sore and I am basically quasi modo and am super crooked, he also wasn’t happy in his bridle or saddle. He also is a bit c shaped on one side of his rib cage. We stripped everything back to a rope halter and bareback pad and it all moved forward. He didn’t understand to give to pressure, and he had no clue what I was doing with my seat hence the unable to halt and jogging malarkey.

She taught me how to use my seat, I can now halt ( I’m so excited about this I do about 100 every 20 mins ) when he goes to jog I can feel it and ask him not to with my butt 😁 nearly two years we have been trying to crack this! I’ve learned about where my weight goes, how to use my weight to turn, yield and shoulder in and it’s all going super!

One of the biggest things was the bit! I had him in a bomber snaffle and the trainer tried a parelli myler c3 scary looking thing and he was so soft in it it was unreal. I then went and brought the same bridle and bit , we popped it on and I couldn’t stop him, he didn’t want to take any contact, my trainer then got on to see if it was me and he was very unhappy buckleing behind, threatened a rear he hated it so lord knows what the difference , we changed to hers and he was butter again! Luckily my lovely trainer gave me her bridle and bit (exactly the same) and she took mine, she said she had never seen a horse react so differently to essentially the same bit of kit.
I have changed his saddle to a solutions freestyle and it’s staying in place, not slipping , it’s small so fits nice and snug in the right place. He is happy having it put on and after being shown how to stop him moving at the mounting block he now comes and picks me up.

Still so much to work on, I’m trying to just focus on my butt , hips, head up and pushing my hands forward and we are going good. His expression looks happier, we can walk!!! In the last year I think I’ve managed to keep him in walk for five mins then we begin to trot for 20 mins as I couldn’t control the jog let alone halt.

This was yesterday at home, I’m having to half halt the rein to get him down but I’m using my leg and but at the same time, hoping the rein aid will get less and less! We did this for 30 mins in walk, we did so many halts, this one isn’t as sharp as I was practicing keeping him soft during the halt but a massive improvement to getting a halt 2 laps of the school after asking 😁

Loads to work on but feel like we are getting the foundations in place and I have been reminded of what a cracking pony I have! 53E657ED-8F4D-45C2-AD67-8380A46A4981.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Sooo a little update :)
He went away to an amazing lady for a week, I went and had lessons everyday and we worked through a lot.
Luckily he did the strange gate with her and she was able to come to the conclusion it was tension over his back from the rider. She also found that his tmj was sore and I am basically quasi modo and am super crooked, he also wasn’t happy in his bridle or saddle. He also is a bit c shaped on one side of his rib cage. We stripped everything back to a rope halter and bareback pad and it all moved forward. He didn’t understand to give to pressure, and he had no clue what I was doing with my seat hence the unable to halt and jogging malarkey.

She taught me how to use my seat, I can now halt ( I’m so excited about this I do about 100 every 20 mins ) when he goes to jog I can feel it and ask him not to with my butt 😁 nearly two years we have been trying to crack this! I’ve learned about where my weight goes, how to use my weight to turn, yield and shoulder in and it’s all going super!

One of the biggest things was the bit! I had him in a bomber snaffle and the trainer tried a parelli myler c3 scary looking thing and he was so soft in it it was unreal. I then went and brought the same bridle and bit , we popped it on and I couldn’t stop him, he didn’t want to take any contact, my trainer then got on to see if it was me and he was very unhappy buckleing behind, threatened a rear he hated it so lord knows what the difference , we changed to hers and he was butter again! Luckily my lovely trainer gave me her bridle and bit (exactly the same) and she took mine, she said she had never seen a horse react so differently to essentially the same bit of kit.
I have changed his saddle to a solutions freestyle and it’s staying in place, not slipping , it’s small so fits nice and snug in the right place. He is happy having it put on and after being shown how to stop him moving at the mounting block he now comes and picks me up.

Still so much to work on, I’m trying to just focus on my butt , hips, head up and pushing my hands forward and we are going good. His expression looks happier, we can walk!!! In the last year I think I’ve managed to keep him in walk for five mins then we begin to trot for 20 mins as I couldn’t control the jog let alone halt.

This was yesterday at home, I’m having to half halt the rein to get him down but I’m using my leg and but at the same time, hoping the rein aid will get less and less! We did this for 30 mins in walk, we did so many halts, this one isn’t as sharp as I was practicing keeping him soft during the halt but a massive improvement to getting a halt 2 laps of the school after asking 😁

Loads to work on but feel like we are getting the foundations in place and I have been reminded of what a cracking pony I have! View attachment 35720

I smiled the entire time whilst reading this post. Very pleased for you both.

tristar

Visit site
you`re arms look more bent at the elbows in the photo,

for me the basis of training is the trot to halt to trot. so your transitions will do the job