The agility thread

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
No , still a few in there , it’s 320 mm and under so I think your guy would maybe be ok . Zig is 270 😝

Oh maybe not, I've just made him stand next to the wall and put a book on his withers for approximately 34cm but the technique leaves a lot to be desired 😅 Large dog is about 60cm with the same method. I suspect they'd both be a little under that with a proper stick.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Oh maybe not, I've just made him stand next to the wall and put a book on his withers for approximately 34cm but the technique leaves a lot to be desired 😅 Large dog is about 60cm with the same method. I suspect they'd both be a little under that with a proper stick.

They do use a stick across wither rather than a hoop , so you might get under . I got Zen to 60 cm using a similar hand across withers method at 8 months . Decided not to measure her again 😀

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Both of the other schipperkes we mutually know measured in, although he is a touch taller than his grandad.

I'm trying to watch the recording of the Starters Cup and it's making me feel sick, will someone tell them to give an overview of the ring including the handler and not try to follow only the dog!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'm enjoying watching this thread.
I used to compete with my border collie about 20 years ago and it looks like agility has changed *a lot* in that time!
We've now got a beautiful rescue, who's full of fun and I'd like to try hoopers with her in the spring when she's a little older (she's just over 6 months at the moment). So hoping hoopers people will be welcome 😊

@sarah.oxford I've already got a soft spot for Arthur!

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I'm enjoying watching this thread.
I used to compete with my border collie about 20 years ago and it looks like agility has changed *a lot* in that time!
We've now got a beautiful rescue, who's full of fun and I'd like to try hoopers with her in the spring when she's a little older (she's just over 6 months at the moment). So hoping hoopers people will be welcome 😊

@sarah.oxford I've already got a soft spot for Arthur!
He's a super boy.
Feel free to look at his videos on my fb page.

Bellaboo18

Visit site

Spotherisk

Visit site
2023 agility competitions finally over, it’s been interesting!

16 shows 🤭 (started at the end of March).
45 classes! 😱
38 eliminations (horses are much easier)! 🤣 I wish I’d known multiple E’s were the norm and really stood for Excellent. Or maybe Extraordinary! 🤦🏼‍♀️
Not going to calculate the £££’s in entries, diesel and grey hairs/nervous breakdowns!

Six shows already booked for 2024, plus a LOT of training…

The challenge of training a nearly a whippet with a smidge of Bedlington terrier (that’s the reactive bit) when you know next to nothing yourself has been immense. Wouldn’t change him for the world. ❤️
IMG_8650.jpegIMG_8321.jpeg

Jenko109

Visit site
2023 agility competitions finally over, it’s been interesting!

16 shows 🤭 (started at the end of March).
45 classes! 😱
38 eliminations (horses are much easier)! 🤣 I wish I’d known multiple E’s were the norm and really stood for Excellent. Or maybe Extraordinary! 🤦🏼‍♀️
Not going to calculate the £££’s in entries, diesel and grey hairs/nervous breakdowns!

Six shows already booked for 2024, plus a LOT of training…

The challenge of training a nearly a whippet with a smidge of Bedlington terrier (that’s the reactive bit) when you know next to nothing yourself has been immense. Wouldn’t change him for the world. ❤️
View attachment 130731View attachment 130732

You're marvelous. I cannot even begin to imagine how much harder it must be to train a sighthound, especially to get them to work in a competition environment.

My whippet has had a handful of lessons. Purely for confidence building. I never had any intention of doing more than that with him. He mostly just pees on the equipment 🙈🙈

Spotherisk

Visit site
You're marvelous. I cannot even begin to imagine how much harder it must be to train a sighthound, especially to get them to work in a competition environment.

My whippet has had a handful of lessons. Purely for confidence building. I never had any intention of doing more than that with him. He mostly just pees on the equipment 🙈🙈
Thank you, I’m pretty sure I’ve never been called marvellous in my whole life! Rew is either too hot, cold, or wet, and over or under stimulated, it’s hell of a balancing act.

Those were only our shows on Agility Plaza, we did a few friendlies as well!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
That's fabulous Spotherisk but oh goodness I hadn't thought about stats, you've given me something else to fixate on!

This year 91 competition runs, 13 first places, 23 additional places or unplaced clear rounds, two grades (some of the wins were in limbo). First win in G2 to last win in G7 took two years and 17 days.

I will only be doing a fraction of that this coming year, concentrating on champ for small dog and putting training on the large dog. The latter was x-rayed yesterday so jump poles will start going up and and she'll see contacts and weaves in the new year. 😬

Spotherisk

Visit site
That's fabulous Spotherisk but oh goodness I hadn't thought about stats, you've given me something else to fixate on!

This year 91 competition runs, 13 first places, 23 additional places or unplaced clear rounds, two grades (some of the wins were in limbo). First win in G2 to last win in G7 took two years and 17 days.

I will only be doing a fraction of that this coming year, concentrating on champ for small dog and putting training on the large dog. The latter was x-rayed yesterday so jump poles will start going up and and she'll see contacts and weaves in the new year. 😬

That’s an excellent year! My aim for this year was supposedly a clear round in agility, I haven’t even managed a clear round in a steeplechase yet!

I have another 11 days off, will be getting stuck into my Bonny Quick book and training at home.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I don't think I can cope mentally with our stats for the year, but I can confirm Arthur has gone from kc G1-3 in his first year competing, and moved up to novice in both uka performance and steeplechase.
I will be doing end of year photos with rosettes and trophies for both dogs after our final show on Saturday.
This will be a challenge.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
End of year photos.
It's been a good one.
Little white piglet Lyl, who continues to want to compete, all be it at a lower height, age 12 and a half , managed to win the uka nationals final at her height , an achievement matched by Arthur who was only 2 at the time.
Arthur's first season has been immense. He's taught me lots and my brain is still trying to catch up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231231-060726_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231-060726_Photos.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231231-060740_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231-060740_Photos.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231231-060750_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231-060750_Photos.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 14

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
What a year you've had @sarah.oxford. you must be so proud.

We went yesterday to a show at a new competition venue which had the added advantage of being about 25 mins down the road, what bliss. However Pebs just wasn't feeling it. We didn't get eleminated but we did get time penalties and annoyingly she popped out the weaves on weave 10, twice. Not sure why as it was a great surface and we have trained there too so am a bit perplexed. Bless her.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
You've had a fantastic year, well done. That is what I like about UKA, they can jump at a lower height. My oldie, who is also 12.5 years had a lovely time last year pinging round select height courses, and I'd far rather compete Ziggy, who is only 270 mm, at 250 than 300, that is why he has only done 3 KC shows so far.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
What a year you've had @sarah.oxford. you must be so proud.

We went yesterday to a show at a new competition venue which had the added advantage of being about 25 mins down the road, what bliss. However Pebs just wasn't feeling it. We didn't get eleminated but we did get time penalties and annoyingly she popped out the weaves on weave 10, twice. Not sure why as it was a great surface and we have trained there too so am a bit perplexed. Bless her.
Ooh you are lucky to have a show that close.
There are no winter shows less than an hour away, and most are much further.
Summer shows, we have a couple at Newbury showground which is under an hour but everything else is further.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Arthur is so terribly handsome. 😁 Excellent haul, well done!

Snuck in one last DIY session at our old venue this morning. Got dog out of car for a wee, landowner chooses that moment to let her dogs out, unseen by me as they're a good 100m away down the track. Of course they come charging and snapping right in my dog's face and have to be kicked away. Cue large dog being high as a kite for the whole session, with maximum levels of screaming and blasting and biting. 🙄

Jenko109

Visit site
Sorry if this has been discussed but I am not twaling through 9 pages 🙈

When you train, do you always train at your competition height?

We tend to have a group lesson once a week, which we will train at competition height as it wont be too strenuous when having to take turns.

Then we hire the paddock once a week for sole use, for which I will drop the jumps down from 500 to 300.

Also, I was reading a piece earlier which indicated that dogs should get a break each year. It indicated dogs need a good six weeks or so (I think it was) off completely each year. Do you give your dogs a big break each year?

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I compete at small but train mainly at micro height as she is quite small. It's interesting what you say about a break and I definitely think it does them good mentally. Interestingly Pebs was not too focused on Sat I will get physio to check her over but maybe she just needs a break.