The agility thread

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Congratulations 🎊
Arthur had his first show at grade 3 yesterday and was an absolute prat.
Had to remove him from the ring in the first class as he wouldn't sit on the start line.
Then he didn't stop on his dw in either agility so we had to redo those.
The other jumping was quite good except I momentarily lost my way and sent him the wrong way over a jump.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Thankyou I was so,so happy as a clear agility win has been rather elusive. I am sure it will be just as hard as a G3. Pebs doesn't have a great wait either 🙄😂 they don't make it easy for us do they? Is yours a staffy? I am so in awe when I see them speeding round!

Last edited:

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Nice day but no ribbons. Had to re run the agility for an unplaced 3rd clear. A combined jumping unplaced clear and an E on the graded jumping. Kicking myself as such a good run but I didn't give her enough space and she back jumped 😬🙈. Am entered for tomorrow but will give that a miss as not feeling too good. Now chilling.

Spotherisk

Visit site
G1Agility first, not the easiest of courses! Jump, A frame right in front but no you have to wrap the first jump into a tunnel behind you. So instantly it’s not flowing. Lots of positioning of jumping towards a wall or the exit, and a tunnel under A frame which as predicted by me and many others meant the dog not getting its contact. Rew says the corner by the weaves smells of rats too. 🤦🏼‍♀️ we did get a good seesaw and contact and then the bloody dog ran into me and tripped me up, and I went down on my arm which was broken two months ago and I only took the splint off a fortnight ago, so that was a twitchy moment!

So, that’s a big fat E again then!

I never get nervous because it’s generally such carnage (as was horse showing too) that I’m just grateful to survive! 🤣

I may let you know how the other two runs go, but let’s assume more of the same!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
G1Agility first, not the easiest of courses! Jump, A frame right in front but no you have to wrap the first jump into a tunnel behind you. So instantly it’s not flowing. Lots of positioning of jumping towards a wall or the exit, and a tunnel under A frame which as predicted by me and many others meant the dog not getting its contact. Rew says the corner by the weaves smells of rats too. 🤦🏼‍♀️ we did get a good seesaw and contact and then the bloody dog ran into me and tripped me up, and I went down on my arm which was broken two months ago and I only took the splint off a fortnight ago, so that was a twitchy moment!

I never get nervous because it’s generally such carnage (as was horse showing too) that I’m just grateful to survive! 🤣

I may let you know how the other two runs go, but let’s assume more of the same!
That’s sounds like a horrible start for a Grade 1 course , I’m not a fan of tunnel under dog walk at that level either . Hope later runs go better , and your arm is ok

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Ditchjumper2 yes, he's a Stafford. Bred for the show ring but with more drive than I know what to do with.
We were entered at Inspire yesterday but had to miss out as I am ill.
Got another one in 3 weeks so looking forward to that.

Clodagh

Visit site

I used to hate low level showjumping when they made the course to set you up to fail. I hope your arm is ok, and the courses improve.

Spotherisk

Visit site
That’s sounds like a horrible start for a Grade 1 course , I’m not a fan of tunnel under dog walk at that level either . Hope later runs go better , and your arm is ok

Thank you, and yeah many of us were feeling set up to fail and inexperienced dogs were jumping off the dog walk without having their handler close, not great.

Just looked at the results, the G1 was won with 5 faults, and there were I think four clear in G2.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
My trainer nearly always has a tunnel under dogwalk and A frame as she says if you do that from the start, it becomes normal.
Not keen on jumping towards the barriers though as my dog jumps really long and I worry about possible collisions. So far it's been fine but I don't like it.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I love a wrap start (I don't maintain a wait with the small one) but wouldn't expect to see one in G1.

Spent this morning trying to convince the large dog that adding handler movement beyond a purposeful walk doesn't change her contact criteria from 2o2o to 'blast and scream'. She wasn't having it. 😅

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Ditchjumper2 yes, he's a Stafford. Bred for the show ring but with more drive than I know what to do with.
We were entered at Inspire yesterday but had to miss out as I am ill.
Got another one in 3 weeks so looking forward to that.
I love to watch Jo Essex and her staffy display team...so fast and so good!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Third run also had a wrap start! Although it ran very well Rew absolutely did not bother with the six weaves but I insisted (five goes…) then the rest of it went very well, driving on, but obviously too late by then!

Spotherisk

Visit site
I always find positives. A lifetime of my mother being a glass nearly empty person has left me with an exceptionally positive attitude about most things!

And I helped in a ring and was given a voucher for a free run at another show with the same club, and old acquaintance who was judging said (unasked by me) that she would love to get her hands on Rew and help us both out with driving on, using grids etc, so I’m very excited about that! 😊

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I agree there is always a positive even with Es. But it sounds like you had a good day and hopefully additional support to help especially when it's someone who has seen you compete. When's your next show? We have one next Sunday our last one in limbo 😊

Spotherisk

Visit site
17th December for Lapford Dog Club winter series. We’re not well served in Devon for indoor venues and all our winter shows are at The Grange, so hopefully Rew will get bored with it in the end and stop the zoomies!

sarah.oxford

Visit site
How wonderful! I love Jo she is just so kind and so humble.
She really is, and she understands her dogs so well.
I was going to have one of her pups from a planned litter, but covid hit and she wasn't able to get the eye tests done.
She put me in touch with Bill and it seemed like fate, as I had followed his dogs for years. Another friend of mine has had 3 from him and competes in high level obedience. I actually did the original 'obreedience' display with my first Stafford, and my friend with one of Bill's dogs was team captain.
Couldn't believe my luck when I chatted with Bill and he said he would let me buy one of Poppy's gorgeous pups, with agility as the hopeful plan. I think Arthur is the first of his to go to an agility home, but I was confident from what I'd seen that the work ethic and drive was there in his dogs.
It's also been a great experience doing some KC breed shows with him and getting a RCC.
Agility has somewhat taken over now though, as it does!

Jenko109

Visit site
So show day arrived.

We initially planned to go to Nedlo, however having previously driven down by myself, I felt it was maybe a bit too rushed for our first show and wanted something a little more relaxed.

So instead we booked Elf Equine and Canine as the show is done in batches through the day so only another 20 or so dogs on site at the same time.

Managed to get her out of the car with no other dogs around. Dogs turned up gradually and she showed no reactivity. Lined up nicely and was just super. A win in itself 🔥😍

This was her first show away from her normal training ground. The course was harder than a grade 1 beginner course.

So Jumping was to start. Ten faults. Had to put her back in the weaves and represent at a jump.

Agility I knew we were doomed. Had to put her back in the weaves three times as she found an interesting sniff 🙈 but she did complete them nicely on the third attempt. What got us was that there was a tunnel entrance either side of the dog walk as the tunnel was flowing underneath the dog walk. Far, far more experienced dogs were tripping up here so I wasnt surprised when we did too. I dont imagine you would see such a trap in grade 1? Would you see it in grade 2?

Five faults in Steeplechase, just missing a jump.

A really lovely venue, nice atmosphere and no pressure.

Buzzing with her today. Managing to keep her shit together, listen and do some nice work too. She is just fab.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
So show day arrived.

We initially planned to go to Nedlo, however having previously driven down by myself, I felt it was maybe a bit too rushed for our first show and wanted something a little more relaxed.

So instead we booked Elf Equine and Canine as the show is done in batches through the day so only another 20 or so dogs on site at the same time.

Managed to get her out of the car with no other dogs around. Dogs turned up gradually and she showed no reactivity. Lined up nicely and was just super. A win in itself 🔥😍

This was her first show away from her normal training ground. The course was harder than a grade 1 beginner course.

So Jumping was to start. Ten faults. Had to put her back in the weaves and represent at a jump.

Agility I knew we were doomed. Had to put her back in the weaves three times as she found an interesting sniff 🙈 but she did complete them nicely on the third attempt. What got us was that there was a tunnel entrance either side of the dog walk as the tunnel was flowing underneath the dog walk. Far, far more experienced dogs were tripping up here so I wasnt surprised when we did too. I dont imagine you would see such a trap in grade 1? Would you see it in grade 2?

Five faults in Steeplechase, just missing a jump.

A really lovely venue, nice atmosphere and no pressure.

Buzzing with her today. Managing to keep her shit together, listen and do some nice work too. She is just fab.

Sounds like the day went really well. Tunnel under dog walk and a frame seems to be a thing nowadays, and yes in grade 1-2 frequently.