The agility thread

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I dont imagine you would see such a trap in grade 1? Would you see it in grade 2?

You see tunnel under dog walk in all grades these days, although I would expect the entrance to be well away from the path of the dog walk entry in 1-2 though so no real obstacle discrimination involved. If the tunnel entrance was literally next to the dog walk plank that's mean for 1-2!

Jenko109

Visit site
You see tunnel under dog walk in all grades these days, although I would expect the entrance to be well away from the path of the dog walk entry in 1-2 though so no real obstacle discrimination involved. If the tunnel entrance was literally next to the dog walk plank that's mean for 1-2!

It was next to it BUT the course was set for all grades so we knew it would be a bit more challenging than entering a normal beginners class.

It was a lovely course non the less and gives us something to work on

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I had a workshop yesterday aimed at G5-7 with a tunnel near the dog walk entrance (not quite next to, it was turned away a bit) so yeah, perils of combined classes unfortunately! Never too early to start on obstacle discrimination though. Here's one that gave me something to think about earlier this year 😬😬😬

366817158_10230914483503480_7944043358372804785_n.jpg

Had a fab time at the workshop. I've been feeling rather guilty for having small dog on the back burner while I put the time in on the large one (god knows she needs it) but he's had a long, hard competition season this year and I figured the break would do him good. It really did, he came out fresh and keen and working on a few specific 'advanced' skills rather than plain old course running really pushed us and gave me a massive confidence boost.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
We haven't had any shows for the last 3 weekends, but today we had a great training session in a small group of 4 dogs.
The others were grade 7 dogs and handlers, so the course was set to that level.
We broke the course down into 3 sections and then ran it as a complete course.
There were 30 obstacles and my g3 got the only clear. I was ridiculously excited and very proud of him 😊

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Leaving home at 7 am in freezing temps and freezing fog felt so right 🙄🥶 It was so cold! Dryrobes and Equafleece were out in force in all colours. First up was graded 345 agility. Nice clear for unplaced 3rd. Those working cockers are like 💩 off a shovel..so fast! Then graded jumping. A really tricky course with so many traps. We had a slight communication issue between 1 and 2 which meant although we jumped clear we had 1.78 very costly time penalties. We were the only G3 not elimimated so we won but obviously doesn't count 🥺 Last combined agility jumped clear, but hesitant on all contact equipment. I think as cold on her tootsies as she is a sensitive soul 😂So a few time pens and an unplaced 6th. Didn't do last class and came home and now watching the racing. Really pleased with how we coped with a G3 😀

Spotherisk

Visit site
Leaving home at 7 am in freezing temps and freezing fog felt so right 🙄🥶 It was so cold! Dryrobes and Equafleece were out in force in all colours. First up was graded 345 agility. Nice clear for unplaced 3rd. Those working cockers are like 💩 off a shovel..so fast! Then graded jumping. A really tricky course with so many traps. We had a slight communication issue between 1 and 2 which meant although we jumped clear we had 1.78 very costly time penalties. We were the only G3 not elimimated so we won but obviously doesn't count 🥺 Last combined agility jumped clear, but hesitant on all contact equipment. I think as cold on her tootsies as she is a sensitive soul 😂So a few time pens and an unplaced 6th. Didn't do last class and came home and now watching the racing. Really pleased with how we coped with a G3 😀
Well done seems like a good day! I’m just looking at my bookings and wishing that my dog didn’t find everything too hot, or too cold, or too wet (rain or underfoot), too exciting (zoomies) or too tired now mum (can’t do Things - brain hurts)!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Just reading back on my posts… my old acquaintance who is now a judge did kindly give her time to me and Rew a couple of weeks back, I learnt a lot and did actually write it all up when I got home, to re-read again before training. She also suggested Bonny Quick’s book, Agility Bible, which arrived with me today, so that’s this evening sorted.

I have one group training session and three competitions before Christmas 😊

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Wow, congratulations!
We were at inspire on Sunday. We got a 3rd and a 4th in jumping, which are our first results as a grade 3.
The first agility, I eliminated him for breaking his wait, but the rest was fab. The next agility he didn't quite stop on his dogwalk contact so I put him back on and eliminated him again. The rest was lovely though

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
A good day but I am at my wits end. We went off to my favourite indi show. Clear agilty and a win and clear jumping for a win 😍She was really attentive. We then did another agility round for a finals we'd qualified for and on the dog walk and A frame she just crept along. She was the same last week and she does do this from time to time but have no idea why which is frustrating. I also fell whilst running and ended up definitely unsound when leaving the ring. The video was quite funny 😂Puppy dog enjoyed her outing in her festive jumper. Any suggestions for the contact issue please ?

Attachments

• Compress_86e10af4-f6d7-4239-a6ff-9d46e58c92c020231210_110603.jpg
    Compress_86e10af4-f6d7-4239-a6ff-9d46e58c92c020231210_110603.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 1

MurphysMinder

Visit site
A good day but I am at my wits end. We went off to my favourite indi show. Clear agilty and a win and clear jumping for a win 😍She was really attentive. We then did another agility round for a finals we'd qualified for and on the dog walk and A frame she just crept along. She was the same last week and she does do this from time to time but have no idea why which is frustrating. I also fell whilst running and ended up definitely unsound when leaving the ring. The video was quite funny 😂Puppy dog enjoyed her outing in her festive jumper. Any suggestions for the contact issue please ?
Well done on your wins . Ziggy will sometimes have a bit of a freak out on the dog walk . Last month he leapt off halfway up , then crept up on second attempt . Same show yesterday and he flew over it no problem . We train on a wooden dog walk and most shows use aluminium so I think the latter do move more under them. Not had a problem with A frame so no suggestions for that I’m afraid .

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Thankyou @MurphysMinder. She is a funny girl. Last week I thought maybe because she was cold and the contact equipment was. Today before last run it poured so got wet having a weel! Feet all wet...is it the surface sticking to her or is she just a wuss?She also doesn't like prickly dry grass in the summer either 🙄. Oh well we will have to make sure we nail the first runs. Bless her.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Ooh, excited that I have two sessions of training with Barrie James in the Spring! Eek and better keep on practising!

Edited to say everyone I spoke to said not to get my hopes up, these sessions go so fast… lucky me.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Only via the mobile recordings on Agilitynet, is there to be nothing on TV at all or am I being silly and missing it?!

I had a run in a small stakes qualifier this year and it was HARD, I know it's the crowd-pleasing and time-critical format at Olympia (not Olympia) but it's disappointing that the finals are so steeple-chasey in comparison. Suits the tiny cockers too well 🙄

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Only via the mobile recordings on Agilitynet, is there to be nothing on TV at all or am I being silly and missing it?!

I had a run in a small stakes qualifier this year and it was HARD, I know it's the crowd-pleasing and time-critical format at Olympia (not Olympia) but it's disappointing that the finals are so steeple-chasey in comparison. Suits the tiny cockers too well 🙄

I'm just watching on agility net, haven't found it on tv . Yes the courses are very much aimed at the speedy dogs aren't they. Though having competed in Crufts team centuries ago :p the atmosphere of the whole thing does make it so much harder. This was in the days of the down on a table, on the green carpet my GSD had no idea what I meant, and stood there gawping at the crowds instead of lying down, much to the amusement of everyone apart from me and my team mates ☺️

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I wish they would introduce micro size, talk of that but not sure if it will ever happen. When I look at my little guy against some of the spaniels it is ridiculous .

Does the micro height at UKA weed out all of the cockers? I didn't think mine an especially small small but he'd possibly measure in to 250 at UKA.