The thread of all Olympic Threads

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Another blue tongue

Catching up with this thread and surprised at the love for IW and the test.

Well I didn’t have any evidence of blue tongue while watching the test , I am not an IW fan but that test looked really good to me and Wendy looked comfortable so I liked her test the best ( apart from Becky’s) and didn’t think Dalera deserved to win.. it’s easy to criticise after the event and pick a moment in time. It takes a lot for me to like a test by a heigstrand horse and a person who supports him so I was looking for negatives rather than positives

TPO

Visit site
Well I didn’t have any evidence of blue tongue while watching the test , I am not an IW fan but that test looked really good to me and Wendy looked comfortable so I liked her test the best ( apart from Becky’s) and didn’t think Dalera deserved to win.. it’s easy to criticise after the event and pick a moment in time. It takes a lot for me to like a test by a heigstrand horse and a person who supports him so I was looking for negatives rather than positives

The blue tongue might not have been easily visible but the way of being made to go that's causes it was.

palo1

Visit site
The blue tongue might not have been easily visible but the way of being made to go that's causes it was.
It's utterly grim, revolting. I am boggled by IW apparently asking for immediate action following issues with equine sport at the Olympics: I can only wonder really at the discourse. Does IW feel trapped in a system? Can she really not move away from that or do she and others really not see the issues with their own ways of working, training, physical ideals and expectations?

I feel absolutely switched off tbh - the various protesting groups are not very clear about methodologies and training and the prevailing training just does seem awful, with no one actually talking about what is going on in their world. It's massively disappointing when all many people want is a clear way forward to safely train their horses to carry us in the best way for their minds and bodies. I really, truly understand the drive to get rid of equestrianism at the Olympics; it's just rather shameful...

TPO

Visit site
It's utterly grim, revolting. I am boggled by IW apparently asking for immediate action following issues with equine sport at the Olympics: I can only wonder really at the discourse. Does IW feel trapped in a system? Can she really not move away from that or do she and others really not see the issues with their own ways of working, training, physical ideals and expectations?

I feel absolutely switched off tbh - the various protesting groups are not very clear about methodologies and training and the prevailing training just does seem awful, with no one actually talking about what is going on in their world. It's massively disappointing when all many people want is a clear way forward to safely train their horses to carry us in the best way for their minds and bodies. I really, truly understand the drive to get rid of equestrianism at the Olympics; it's just rather shameful...
A quote just popped up on insta from Buck Brannaman about horse training/riding.

"You're either feeding your ego or feeding your soul."

I think that pretty much sums it up

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

I was just trying to explain why I thought it was a good test and so many other people thought so too. It didn’t look like she was rough with her hands during the test , if it had I wouldn’t have said it was a good test. I’ve been banging on about overbent, BTV, horses who have been placed higher than the tests that show harmony for ages , for instance Gareth Hughes with Classic Briolinca (spelling?) never got marked as high as the flashy horses who were grinding their teeth , opening mouths and swishing tails. The Dutch riders seemed to be the worst IMO..

SEL

Visit site
I think it would be incredibly sad to lose equestrian sports from the Olympics, but surely a robust tack check isn't much to ask from the FEI? Some of the metal & leather work on the showjumpers made me cringe as well.

The fact that the dressage showed more open frames (comparatively) meant those top riders absolutely know that the general public aren't happy so it really shouldn't be beyond the FEI to say over tight nosebands, poorly fitted bits etc are not acceptable.

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
So sad, yet again the unscrupulous few spoil it for many.
It's not just a few though. And many of the "many" are as much to blame for closing ranks and shutting down any discussion or criticism of poor practice (cruelty) on here and other outlets.

The irony is not lost on me, here in particular.

daffy44

Visit site
The blue tongue pictures are vile, of course I dont condone anything about them, and I really dont understand why the FEI dont make the simplest of rule changes and make double bridles at this level optional rather than compulsory.

The problem is, for me at least, that I cant see the blue tongue whilst watching a test in real time on a screen, possibly if I was standing right by the arena I may be able to see it, but on a screen, I cant, I wish I could. Given that I cant take the blue tongue into consideration when watching the test, I cant comment on it. I am not particularly a fan of Isabell, especially not her incomprehensible support of Helgstrand, but having also seen that mare with Helgstrand riding, I can see huge improvements in the way of going, and I believe positives should be praised. So to see the blue tongue pictures post Olympics make me incredibly sad, sad for the horse and sad for the sport. I believed at the time that Dalera should have won, and I still do.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think outlawing double bridles is sensible. Not because I think they are inherently crueler than a single bridle - I absolutely agree that damage can be inflicted either way, if a rider rides harshly - but because reducing the amount of bridle will make it easier to observe the condition of the horse’s mouth and to monitor bit pressure.

asmp

Visit site
For the pentathlon they’ve put the SJ phase first so hopefully emotions won’t be as high as it won’t be the element that decides the final medals unlike last time.
Looking at schedule, I think the fencing is first? It looks as though they’re doing that today but I might be wrong!