The thread of all Olympic Threads

LittleLegs&Co

Visit site
That makes it even more ridiculous- no video footage at the Olympics?? And why wouldn’t they accept someone else’s photo/video. Absolutely amateur.
The commentators on Discovery kept mentioning the cameras set up in front of some of the fences for exactly this reason, so they could check if any uncertainty. So why wasn't there one on that fence?

dreams579

Visit site
I’m hoping it’s redundant anyway as the team will still win tomorrow but if they don’t, I wonder if there is an argument to take it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport? That doesn’t sound like a fair ruling from the GF at all! Has every rider who kicked that flag out (and there were a few!) all been awarded penalties?!

Nicnac

Visit site
Not about the flag but Shadowman. Originally it was said (in H&H) that he was moving countries temporarily and going to Burto for 6 months. Now it appears that he's been bought by Burto's yard owners. Do they mean he's been leased or has Ben Hobday sold him?

Kat

Visit site
Not about the flag but Shadowman. Originally it was said (in H&H) that he was moving countries temporarily and going to Burto for 6 months. Now it appears that he's been bought by Burto's yard owners. Do they mean he's been leased or has Ben Hobday sold him?
I don't believe Ben owned him.

pistolpete

Visit site
Most come back pretty well.
Some may need fluids but it’s not that common.
Generally only if they are harbouring sub clinical injury do they really struggle.
Some will have muscle fatigue and just be a bit less pingy
Thank you. That makes complete sense now.

Annagain

Visit site
It’s well known in rugby circles that footage that would go against French teams is often not available to television match officials (local broadcasters provide the footage to the officials) and miraculously becomes available after the match. I’m not saying this is what has happened here but I wouldn’t be surprised if (official) footage suddenly emerges after the event has ended.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It’s well known in rugby circles that footage that would go against French teams is often not available to television match officials (local broadcasters provide the footage to the officials) and miraculously becomes available after the match. I’m not saying this is what has happened here but I wouldn’t be surprised if (official) footage suddenly emerges after the event has ended.
The way a rugby match is filmed in an enclosed space means there would be multiple camera angles all pointing at the same thing.

Cross country for the Olympics will have fewer angles as the cameras are spread out. The host broadcaster films and the other countries take the footage. Realistically there won't be broadcast cameras positioned head on to every single element of that combination. It's one of the reasons eventing is unpopular because you need so many resources to film it.

The angle from the TV footage isn't helpful as it's side on. They clearly positioned the camera to film c head on and them pan right to d. All you can see from that is that it wasn't Ros' foot as the flag was coming down before. In the shot below (from the official broadcast) the flag is already on the move.

Screenshot_20240728-212925~2_234254.jpg
There will be stills photographers but unless you have a series they won't necessarily be helpful.

So all that's left is amateur footage like the one shared upthread from Facebook and I don't what the procedure would have been to get that in front of the ground jury.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I completely agree about the camera angles but was just making the point that French broadcasters have form for not being able to find footage that would go against their teams.
Yes but in this case professional footage is unlikely to exist whereas in Rugby there's a good chance it does just because of the logistics of the event.

Incidentally the filming is all produced by OBS (I've worked with them). They use the host national broadcaster as well as big OB companies for convenience but they own and distribute the footage to the various takers.

cauda equina

Visit site
I am not surprised they won't accept unofficial footage when faking images seems to be so easy; I'm not saying that people would or have in this case, just that people do
Does anyone know who is on the ground jury? Presumably its members are not just French

TheMule

Visit site
People really need to stop the anti-French narrative. It’s unfair and it doesn’t help our cause. The GJ are hugely experienced and represent several different nationalities so that they are neutral. This is not a French decision.
It is a shame it appears that the official footage has been obscured. You can see why they can’t just use random images sent in from members of the public. There are worse things that happen, and GB are still in gold. It will make the SJ today really exciting because it’s so close!

neddy man

Visit site
Looking at that picture yes the post is already sloping on it's way out of the ground, but it is on the outside of the nearside leg, if it was on the inside under the chest the angle would be entirely different.

Last edited: