The thread of all Olympic Threads

PolarSkye

Visit site
People really need to stop the anti-French narrative. It’s unfair and it doesn’t help our cause. The GJ are hugely experienced and represent several different nationalities so that they are neutral. This is not a French decision.
It is a shame it appears that the official footage has been obscured. You can see why they can’t just use random images sent in from members of the public. There are worse things that happen, and GB are still in gold. It will make the SJ today really exciting because it’s so close!
I came here to say the same thing. There seems to be some question over which element of Fence 21, there isn't clear footage for the GJ, and here we are. It's a great shame - and I went to bed feeling frustrated for the British team, but they are professionals and will put this behind them and do their absolute best today. All three of them rode out of their skins yesterday . . . time to do it again in a few hours. Whatever happens, I'm extremely proud of them.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Someone has posted the complaints link for lodging a complaint about the decision (not sure it will make much difference) in case anyone wanted to fill it out…

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I’m not up to speed on the new Olympics eventing format. It is very complicated but I totally support the will to get more countries able to take part.
Is it new to have riders in medal contention jumping again as I don’t seem to remember it being a separate thing before?

Last edited:

Barklands

Visit site
I came here to say the same thing. There seems to be some question over which element of Fence 21, there isn't clear footage for the GJ, and here we are. It's a great shame - and I went to bed feeling frustrated for the British team, but they are professionals and will put this behind them and do their absolute best today. All three of them rode out of their skins yesterday . . . time to do it again in a few hours. Whatever happens, I'm extremely proud of them.
I agree but my issue is they have made such a point of putting cameras in front of fences (not the broadcast cameras) to analyse any issues with flags, yet at the fence in question there is no footage. What is the point in one rule at some fences and different at others.

Hopefully it will spur them on to jump their absolutely best today (although I have no doubt they would have anyway). Deeply tough and frustrating for all concerned! And what a shame for Ros.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s the olympics for Christ sake, they should have functioning video for all required angles. If for some reason the technology has failed them, they are obliged to find in favour of the rider - and with such clear footage showing the horse was clearly seeking the fence and inside the flag then in my mind this is a clear miscarriage of justice for the sport. The only thing I agree with TheMule about is this is not a French conspiracy. I hope to god, all 3 brits jump clear to win despite. But if the dodgy 15 costs us team gold I very much pray there is a higher level this can be taken too.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I’m not up to speed on the new Olympics eventing format. It is very complicated but I totally support the will to get more countries able to take part.
Is it new to have riders in medal contention jumping again as I don’t seem to remember it being a separate thing before?
They've had a second jumping round for individual medals for a while. I understand it's because you can't award team and individual medals for the exact same competition in Olympic rules. The top 25 individuals go through to the second round.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
People really need to stop the anti-French narrative. It’s unfair and it doesn’t help our cause. The GJ are hugely experienced and represent several different nationalities so that they are neutral. This is not a French decision.
It is a shame it appears that the official footage has been obscured. You can see why they can’t just use random images sent in from members of the public. There are worse things that happen, and GB are still in gold. It will make the SJ today really exciting because it’s so close!

Yes. It's made me realise how sport and the nationalism that goes with it makes me really uncomfortable I then end up supporting whoever England/GB are playing.

There are people on Facebook suggesting the flag was deliberately moved in for the British horse!

Barklands

Visit site
Yes. It's made me realise how sport and the nationalism that goes with it makes me really uncomfortable I then end up supporting whoever England/GB are playing.

There are people on Facebook suggesting the flag was deliberately moved in for the British horse!
Alex Hua Tian rides for China yet many of us are outraged on his behalf at the fence judges conduct during his round!

photo_jo

Visit site
Looking at that picture yes the post is already sloping on it's way out of the ground, but it is on the outside of the nearside leg, if it was on the inside under the chest the angle would be entirely diff.
But that image is from after he hit it with his knee- the fence post was in the clip as he took off

Kat

Visit site
I agree but my issue is they have made such a point of putting cameras in front of fences (not the broadcast cameras) to analyse any issues with flags, yet at the fence in question there is no footage. What is the point in one rule at some fences and different at others.

Hopefully it will spur them on to jump their absolutely best today (although I have no doubt they would have anyway). Deeply tough and frustrating for all concerned! And what a shame for Ros.
Apparently there was a camera but the fence judge obscured the view

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
That's a very experienced GJ, in the spotlight, with access to information that the HHO collective doesn't have.

Given that the Irish contingent are now focusing on completion, my interest today will be in the competition between LC and MJ, and faith in the GB team to jump well.

I do though think NT should be sanctioned for yesterday, not sure how he got away with that.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Alex Hua Tian rides for China yet many of us are outraged on his behalf at the fence judges conduct during his round!
I haven't seen endless blurry pictures which prove nothing either way and accusations of treachery or sabotage or a petition.

I didn't see Alex's round and don't know what happened despite reading this thread. Was there an appeal for that?

Apparently there was a camera but the fence judge obscured the view
Waiting for the accusations the FJ deliberately blocked it. Presumably the FJ positioned themselves to get the best view, there were a lot of riders that sent that flag flying, did any others appeal successfully?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I’m probably even more outraged for Alex Tian than Ros. Was it the same fence (it was a skinny brush in the woods)? You can see the horse’s eye/ear flick away from the fence towards her then back to the fence at the last minute. The woman was panicking and trying to get out of the way, but she distracted the horse.

Barklands

Visit site
I’m probably even more outraged for Alex Tian than Ros. Was it the same fence (it was a skinny brush in the woods)? You can see the horse’s eye/ear flick away from the fence towards her then back to the fence at the last minute. The woman was panicking and trying to get out of the way, but she distracted the horse.
If memory serves correctly it was that same combination but the fence before

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
Omg, no wonder the French and the British have had so many wars 🙄

If we're talking Olympic eventing injustices/who's in charge of applying the rules, just look what happened with Bettina in Athens. People make mistakes, sometimes you just have to accept them.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
For Alex Hua Tian it was the same fence. Fence judge was at the C element as he jumped the A and B. The FJ was running back to her position so blocked the camera and footage of the jumps.

The commentator regularly made reference to the fact that the horse only saw the D element of the combination immediately before take off. Alex's horse was distracted by the FJ and took the flag out in exactly the same way Walter took the flag.

This appeal should have gone to the rider, as should the GB appeal because both horses jumped the question asked. It wasn't a 50/50, it was 95/5 to the rider in both cases in my opinion.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Omg, no wonder the French and the British have had so many wars 🙄

If we're talking Olympic eventing injustices/who's in charge of applying the rules, just look what happened with Bettina in Athens. People make mistakes, sometimes you just have to accept them.

But it’s not the making mistakes that’s the issue, it’s how they’re (not) dealing with them. I did mention Athens yesterday, in that I hoped it wasn’t going to be as awful as that.

Barklands

Visit site
Whilst I take the point re not being accusatory of the French and there being an experience GJ, as I am sure many others did I watched every second of the coverage yesterday (get a life, I know!) and what struck me was the fence judge cheering for the first French rider with his fists in the air. It was at the angled brushes.

This was even before Alex or Ros went. I just think, this is the Olympics not some small scale event. Impartiality should be at the forefront of their minds, and should be more concerned with the optics of how that looks!