The thread of all Olympic Threads

Parrotperson

Visit site
I caved and switched it on for a minute. The gaping frothy mouths full of metal doesn't paint a great picture does it, it sort of seemed normal before the CDJ thing but now all of a sudden it all seems so obvious.
I’ve never understood how they *must* wear double bridles. It’s a nonsense rule and should be changed immediately.

Kat

Visit site
In fairness to the commentators they need to be really careful not to defame CDJ, or say anything inappropriate during an ongoing investigation. But if they don't discuss it they will be accused of sweeping it under the rug.

j1ffy

Visit site
Random Q - why is there no group D?! Looking at the scoring system, we have groups A, B and C today then groups E, F and G tomorrow...

Burnttoast

Visit site
In fairness to the commentators they need to be really careful not to defame CDJ, or say anything inappropriate during an ongoing investigation. But if they don't discuss it they will be accused of sweeping it under the rug.
They probably also don't spend all that much (any?) time thinking hard about welfare in horse sport beyond the strikingly obvious so finding the words to discuss it sensibly and insightfully while also commentating on the Olympics is probably a bit of a stretch. Tbh I can hear her falling over herself not to further drop horse sport in the do-do as it is.

Floofball

Visit site
So doesn’t look like there will be any ‘next highest 6’ scores out of group B, and the 2 qualifiers on lower marks than Carl - be interesting to see how this all pans out 🤔

ETA may be wrong - the 73%ers may get through.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
They were quite happy to get into defending her and into identifying the person laughing in the video as the owner of the horse (I don't know if that is true). I turned off, then back on and then back off again because of the slightly whining way they were talking about the blood rule. Same with the guy in eventing. Horse welfare is, of course, top of the tree but we're going to go on and on and on about how awful it is for the riders. I'm sure it is disappointing but they keep going on as if it's a punishment to riders rather than for the good of the horses.

It was attempted and a group of riders complained!! So bizarre, why would giving a choice be an issue?!
Bizarre! It's not as though they are being banned but made optional. I think the commentary mentioned two countries proposing a review again. I hope this is true and kudos to those countries if they are (I wish I could remember which countries they said it was)

jojo5

Visit site
I have been following this thread while watching the eventing and the dressage as I thought it would be interesting seeing a discussion with other equestrians. How wrong could I be. Varied opinions are of course important but the amount of passive/aggressive vitriol here has really disappointed me. Yes, I complained about the male presenter but that was because I have done this type of thing myself and it seems clear that he has made not much effort to inform himself around the sports he is commentating on even though he reports regularly in the equestrian field. But ….the future of leisure horses, if there is one, is in the hands of equestrians, and most of what one can see here is negative and some of it insulting. Is it just me? Are you all going to fall on me and ask the BFG to ban me? I have been on the forum for many years, have found useful info here, and made acquaintances. But rarely have I been so depressed about the standard of commentary as here on this Olympic thread. Am guessing the horses belonging to everyone commenting here are living their absolute best lives, out 24/7 in herd environments, never asked to wear tack of any kind or do anything a human requests, let alone in a competitive setting. There are many, many equestrians who achieve what they do through a sympathetic partnership with their horses (and yes, there will be people poo-pooing my use of the word ‘partnership’ I don’t doubt). Many of these may be competing at different levels always closely monitoring their horses. Yes, there are riders whose engagement with their horses is not acceptable in any way but it seems that now it is fashionable to condemn everyone. Are all these commenters also ‘uncomfortable’ with what they do with their own horses? (And yes, I do have a horse, my fourth, and I hope that he and my others live/lived a comfortable and enjoyable life doing what we did together). My apologies for this rant - it has been a very difficult week for our family in other ways so maybe that is why I have no patience with many of the comments on this thread. Perhaps you may let me back in some time.

Equi

Visit site
You’re fully entitled to your opinion, stress can make things seem out of context and I think we’re all fairly stressed at the moment. I believe we have said we would like commentators to be a little more positive also.

We don’t need to be top competitors to like or dislike something.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have been following this thread while watching the eventing and the dressage as I thought it would be interesting seeing a discussion with other equestrians. How wrong could I be. Varied opinions are of course important but the amount of passive/aggressive vitriol here has really disappointed me. Yes, I complained about the male presenter but that was because I have done this type of thing myself and it seems clear that he has made not much effort to inform himself around the sports he is commentating on even though he reports regularly in the equestrian field. But ….the future of leisure horses, if there is one, is in the hands of equestrians, and most of what one can see here is negative and some of it insulting. Is it just me? Are you all going to fall on me and ask the BFG to ban me? I have been on the forum for many years, have found useful info here, and made acquaintances. But rarely have I been so depressed about the standard of commentary as here on this Olympic thread. Am guessing the horses belonging to everyone commenting here are living their absolute best lives, out 24/7 in herd environments, never asked to wear tack of any kind or do anything a human requests, let alone in a competitive setting. There are many, many equestrians who achieve what they do through a sympathetic partnership with their horses (and yes, there will be people poo-pooing my use of the word ‘partnership’ I don’t doubt). Many of these may be competing at different levels always closely monitoring their horses. Yes, there are riders whose engagement with their horses is not acceptable in any way but it seems that now it is fashionable to condemn everyone. Are all these commenters also ‘uncomfortable’ with what they do with their own horses? (And yes, I do have a horse, my fourth, and I hope that he and my others live/lived a comfortable and enjoyable life doing what we did together). My apologies for this rant - it has been a very difficult week for our family in other ways so maybe that is why I have no patience with many of the comments on this thread. Perhaps you may let me back in some time.

I agree with you totally.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I'm not commenting much as I struggle to see things others can see. What looks nice to me others are seeing different. I struggle with the nuance of tension and bending through the body so don't feel I can contribute anything.

jenbleep

Visit site
OMG listening to that woman saying horses won't perform if Charlotte DJ had always treated them badly. "she made a mistake" "we need to move on and support our riders" "she has brought dressage to the forefront".
Now I'm all cross again!😠
Ugh

Turning off to watch some non-equestrian. No wonder people are dubious of horse events with comments like that 😆🙈

equinerebel

Visit site
I'm sorry that people's (imo, valid) concerns for horse welfare and criticism of those we wish would ride in a less harmful way is depressing to you. I hope your family situation improves and you feel able to discuss with people who may just see things differently from you.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I was just about to say, I really like this horse little bay horse but I wonder if he’s feeling the heat a bit today. Such a nice looking horse though. I’d far rather ride that than the very flashy ones. But then again, I couldn’t ride him anything like that!