The thread of all Olympic Threads

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The ruled on bidding right and contracts changed before Tokyo and BBC were outbid basically.
It's not even a question of outbid.

The rights were sold to WBD and now national European broadcasters have to sub licence from them. The BBC negotiated a deal with WBD for what we have but with a limited budget they couldn't afford more. Some other countries get government help and with no advertising (other national broadcasters have that) they can't offset any costs by selling advertising space. Increased viewing figures don't change the income.

There's is an deal that EBU have agreed so we get an allowance from that.

alexomahony

Visit site
While Fame looked a bit tense and short in the neck, how refreshing is it to see still legs and I noticed he very rarely put his spur on. Probably out of fear of Fame exploding, but I do like how still Carl is in comparison to many of the others.

Not watching it all today - at work and it doesn’t feel important enough to have in the corner of my screen all day like I did yesterday!

Commentary is annoying.

Sorry if been asked before but what time is Becky on?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Fame is alway short in the neck - whether it's purely conformation (he looks like he has a similar neck to Imhotep and Everdale) or down to previous training with Bigwood / Dahl, who knows. I'm not a fan and his tension / spookiness at the start made it worse whereas previously he has looked like he was improving. Every time Carl touched the rein Fame tucked his nose in even more instead of reaching for the bit.

Nicky's avoidance of the CDJ discussion was annoying, the dressage world MUST address it head on if we're to stand a chance of dressage still existing for the next generation...

Yes, it did look tense and short in the neck, seemed to get worse through the test.

But I don't think they should have said anything more about CDJ. It's under investigation by the FEI et al.

They are there to present the Olympic Dressage competition, not to have a wide ranging discussion about other people.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I’ve never really understood the foam thing..its not something I’ve ever experienced but then i have never ridden in a double or at anywhere near top levels.
A wet mouth is desirable. Too much foam is not, it is a sign of tension and can be caused by compression of the neck and pressure on a gland in the neck. I forget the name.

equidstar11

Visit site
I caved and switched it on for a minute. The gaping frothy mouths full of metal doesn't paint a great picture does it, it sort of seemed normal before the CDJ thing but now all of a sudden it all seems so obvious.
A lot of the riders also seem to have such a tight grip on the horse too. I can’t believe that spurs and double bridles are mandatory - when the commentator was asked she simply replied ‘that’s the rules’ - why can’t anyone speak out about how archaic it is.

I have to be honest I’m really not liking the dressage.

Also seem to be a lot of fancy front legs and not very much following through with the hinds?

equinerebel

Visit site
They are there to present the Olympic Dressage competition, not to have a wide ranging discussion about other people.
I agree it’s not the place to be personal, but the topic itself is relevant when CDJ is only a part of a much bigger issue - which we are seeing at the Olympics too.

It’s a shame the commentators are doing more harm than good by the sounds of it.

I’m glad I’m not watching.

pistolpete

Visit site
It’s got so contrived. When you think of all the things we can do with horses. Thinking about working equitation etc. I am wondering if traditional dressage has had its day? Find piaffe horrible to watch. Passage looks okay as I have seen horses passaging in the field. Sorry off topic. Back to watching.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
OMG listening to that woman saying horses won't perform if Charlotte DJ had always treated them badly. "she made a mistake" "we need to move on and support our riders" "she has brought dressage to the forefront".
Now I'm all cross again!😠

Aaaand I'm out.

Commentary on CDJ situation.' Well there are no rules about how much to use a whip...' or something to that effect. And horse welfare is top priority don't you know, until it comes to the team and the competition and then we're busy moving on and getting behind them.

Oh ffs, this is our sport's opportunity to present ourselves in a better light, when the spotlight is on us like it won't be at any other time. And this is the commentary? The general public must rightly think we're taking them for mugs. Those commentators can get in the bin.

I wanted to watch some dressage but not sure I can with this going on.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That’s French time so subtract an hour here 15.11

Sorry, what time is our next Brit?
9116:11:00
Great Britain

GBR
MOODY Becky
T
JAGERBOMB