The thread of all Olympic Threads

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Hardly dare to comment now, but it doesn’t look right behind. (I’m only here for Becky, I’m a bit early).

I thought so too but I’m worried I’ve got some kind of lameness neuroses since I’ve been looking at my just about sound one this morning.

Let’s hope he’s just tired.

jojo5

Visit site
@equinerebel I hope I am as concerned for the welfare of the horse as the next person, indeed I know I am. But reading through these comments as a whole (catching up) there are so many that seem to have jumped on the critical bandwagon from within our own ranks, so to speak, - one can only hope that these people, as I say, have horses which live utterly idyllic lives. Criticism can sometimes be tokenistic, especially in this climate of social media, and some of these comments are being made by people who are actively riding and maybe competing their own horses or those of others at whatever level. I hope it can be seen that I do have a sensible and fully sympathetic attitude to treatment of the leisure horse (that term in itself is odd).

SAS56

Visit site
Just rejoining the thread after a couple of days off - my thoughts :-

1)the eventers were incredible and the horses looked like they were loving their work - such a harmonious picture
2) agree with whoever said the female dressage commentator was wrong to say CJDs horses wouldn't go for her if she was abusive in training. Far fetched to say the least.
3) I do wish Spencer Sturmey was commentating on the pure dressage instead of this numpty - he always sounds as if he has no idea about what he is commentating on
4 ) The reserve Spanish rider was, in my view, just about the only person so far today riding his horse a little too hard for my liking.
5) I was very impressed with the Korean rider on the little chestnut - it really tried for him
6) Carl H was amazing on Fame - how to ride a hot horse masterclass as usual

Becky at 3.11

misst

Visit site
Not enjoying this USA horse lots of front legs and no neck - but what do I know? I do know what I like looking at though and the Korean horse looked lovely to me.
Also what is the commentator talking about metal work in her back and lots of blood? I left for a quick wee and came back to what seems a random conversation?

equinerebel

Visit site
@equinerebel I hope I am as concerned for the welfare of the horse as the next person, indeed I know I am. But reading through these comments as a whole (catching up) there are so many that seem to have jumped on the critical bandwagon from within our own ranks, so to speak, - one can only hope that these people, as I say, have horses which live utterly idyllic lives. Criticism can sometimes be tokenistic, especially in this climate of social media, and some of these comments are being made by people who are actively riding and maybe competing their own horses or those of others at whatever level. I hope it can be seen that I do have a sensible and fully sympathetic attitude to treatment of the leisure horse (that term in itself is odd).
I'm certainly not saying you don't care about horse welfare, I just haven't seen any posts here that I would consider unnecessarily critical. I think there's been a really nice change in tone where posters are comfortable pointing out things they aren't happy with seeing in elite riders.

Though, I would say the situation itself is depressing and has really tainted the whole Olympic experience for me.

teapot

Visit site
I have been following this thread while watching the eventing and the dressage as I thought it would be interesting seeing a discussion with other equestrians. How wrong could I be. Varied opinions are of course important but the amount of passive/aggressive vitriol here has really disappointed me. Yes, I complained about the male presenter but that was because I have done this type of thing myself and it seems clear that he has made not much effort to inform himself around the sports he is commentating on even though he reports regularly in the equestrian field. But ….the future of leisure horses, if there is one, is in the hands of equestrians, and most of what one can see here is negative and some of it insulting. Is it just me? Are you all going to fall on me and ask the BFG to ban me? I have been on the forum for many years, have found useful info here, and made acquaintances. But rarely have I been so depressed about the standard of commentary as here on this Olympic thread. Am guessing the horses belonging to everyone commenting here are living their absolute best lives, out 24/7 in herd environments, never asked to wear tack of any kind or do anything a human requests, let alone in a competitive setting. There are many, many equestrians who achieve what they do through a sympathetic partnership with their horses (and yes, there will be people poo-pooing my use of the word ‘partnership’ I don’t doubt). Many of these may be competing at different levels always closely monitoring their horses. Yes, there are riders whose engagement with their horses is not acceptable in any way but it seems that now it is fashionable to condemn everyone. Are all these commenters also ‘uncomfortable’ with what they do with their own horses? (And yes, I do have a horse, my fourth, and I hope that he and my others live/lived a comfortable and enjoyable life doing what we did together). My apologies for this rant - it has been a very difficult week for our family in other ways so maybe that is why I have no patience with many of the comments on this thread. Perhaps you may let me back in some time.

Given this thread has been heavily dominated by the eventing up until this morning, can’t say there’s been much vitriol. More that people are watching Olympic dressage with perhaps their eyes further open than ever before?

Anyone who continues to underestimate the influence of social licence does so with a huge level of naivety imho.

FWIW I have as much issue with top level dressage as I do with the amateurs who overfeed their horse, never spend a penny on training and refuse to see their overweight badly schooled horse stood in front of them/plastered all over their social media ;)

Burnttoast

Visit site
Not enjoying this USA horse lots of front legs and no neck - but what do I know? I do know what I like looking at though and the Korean horse looked lovely to me.
Also what is the commentator talking about metal work in her back and lots of blood? I left for a quick wee and came back to what seems a random conversation?
Previously she said it takes lots of blood sweat and tears to get to this level and while I'm sure we all understand the metaphor someone clearly said you'd better say you don't mean the horses' blood sweat etc...

misst

Visit site
Previously she said it takes lots of blood sweat and tears to get to this level and while I'm sure we all understand the metaphor someone clearly said you'd better say you don't mean the horses' blood sweat etc...
Ah I missed the first bit! And yes the blood and sweat definitely comes from the horse!
Oh my the USA horse has gone 1st in the group! Sorry but I cannot see why. It seems the rewards still go to the busy legs and winched in necks. :-(

palo1

Visit site
I think people are bound to be observing critically at the moment tbh and discussion within equestrianism is vital. We'd all like to be able to support team GB riders and as you say, most of us are riding horses imperfectly and keeping them imperfectly - I think most people are very aware of that, but wanting to improve. We need those at the competitive top of the sport to provide inspiration and some really positive role modelling. The issues around welfare mean that more questions are being asked around all of that. The critique, such as it is, on this forum will have very little impact on anyone but the willing participants but may help us with different ideas, value judgements etc. I haven't read anything vitriolic on this thread but there is definitely vitriol on the wider social media.

jenbleep

Visit site
FWIW I have as much issue with top level dressage as I do with the amateurs who overfeed their horse, never spend a penny on training and refuse to see their overweight badly schooled horse stood in front of them/plastered all over their social media ;)

Completely agree with this, especially overfed horses and ponies 😐