The thread of all Olympic Threads

piebaldproblems

Visit site
5+ hours of dressage to catch up on and today is just day one!

From the get go, it's curious that three horses withdrew before the qualifiers even started. That seems a lot for dressage?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Even if she was the result was extremely harmonious and pleasant to watch, which I'd hope would be better reflected in the scores.
It was a lovely test and so refreshing to see harmony. She has scored well as she is top in that group and beat Patrick Kittle and he has much more experience at this level. Brilliant Becky!!!!

PurBee

Visit site
How do i watch replays on discovery? I missed becky, and its now showing a black screen with countdown to tomorrows tests. Earlier on it had a link button to ‘play from beginning’ - but no longer.
I went into the main equestrian section, and it doesnt have todays tests listed as a whole to watch, just previous days and upcoming days.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
How do i watch replays on discovery? I missed becky, and its now showing a black screen with countdown to tomorrows tests. Earlier on it had a link button to ‘play from beginning’ - but no longer.
I went into the main equestrian section, and it doesnt have todays tests listed as a whole to watch, just previous days and upcoming days.

PurBee

Visit site
Thanks piebald, i have now found the replay but it wont load ‘the requested url cant be found’….evidently tech issue tuesday….will try later!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I’ve just found it on the “Paris 24 not to be missed”bit.

She did very well, and it looked a pretty relaxed test imo. As someone said, more so than Carl’s. So the team is in second.

I had a bad habit of calling horses it when I was working with horses. I never meant it detrimentally, it was just common on big yards.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
So I'm surprised that no one mentioned Joao and Feel Good on here. The extensions were fabulous with the hind end actually working and the head coming in front of the vertical. The horse was very rarely BTV throughout the whole test, and on top of that, the mouth wasn't frothy. You could see he needs more strength behind and suppleness but overall it was a kindly ridden test.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
And people on the HH FB page are moaning about the blood rule causing the guy to get eliminated....

Not watched any of it as its so freaking dull but why so aghast?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It was a lovely test and so refreshing to see harmony. She has scored well as she is top in that group and beat Patrick Kittle and he has much more experience at this level. Brilliant Becky!!!!
But wasn’t it revealing how our ‘expert’ commentator kept banging on about how ‘safely’ that Becky was riding 🙄.

I hope that Becky can keep on this harmonious path without being pressured to razz her horse up in subsequent rounds.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
But wasn’t it revealing how our ‘expert’ commentator kept banging on about how ‘safely’ that Becky was riding 🙄.

I hope that Becky can keep on this harmonious path without being pressured to razz her horse up in subsequent rounds.
Yes there was talk of other riders (can't remember which ones) needing more 'pizzaz' and I just think what's wrong with them just being 'correct'? If it's correct, it's correct surely. I realise not all of them were at all times obvs.

Katieg123

Visit site
This may be a silly question... but what's the purpose of putting them in groups, top 2 from each group (plus 6 others) going through to the final? Why not just let the top xxx many go through?
I believe its because judges standards can change throughout the day/into the next day (without them realizing). Its commonly said that the first few in the morning will get the best marks and the last few in the afternoon will get poorer marks. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though!

Burnttoast

Visit site
So I'm surprised that no one mentioned Joao and Feel Good on here. The extensions were fabulous with the hind end actually working and the head coming in front of the vertical. The horse was very rarely BTV throughout the whole test, and on top of that, the mouth wasn't frothy. You could see he needs more strength behind and suppleness but overall it was a kindly ridden test.
Was he the Brazilian at the beginning? I thought he was wonderful and then I think the commentators said something about how he was going to come to Europe to train or something, and I thought oh well, they'll soon have that head winched in :(

YourValentine

Visit site
I really liked his test as well.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Was he the Brazilian at the beginning? I thought he was wonderful and then I think the commentators said something about how he was going to come to Europe to train or something, and I thought oh well, they'll soon have that head winched in :(
Yes the Brazilian.

To be frank, I've only gotten through the Group A tests so far but so far the frames are more open than I was expecting, a lot less BTV than I've seen in previous years excluding some horses who are very tense from the atmosphere (Zatchmo, Fame). It's not ideal but clearly there is some progress so no I don't think anyone's going to be winching in Feel Good's head anytime soon. And they're already based in Europe (Portugal).

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to cooler days
Visit site
So Becky's qualified but Carl hasn't even though he scored higher?

I've just watched her test and couldn't understand the safe remarks. A little BTV at times but I thought a nice harmonious one.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Yes the Brazilian.

To be frank, I've only gotten through the Group A tests so far but so far the frames are more open than I was expecting, a lot less BTV than I've seen in previous years excluding some horses who are very tense from the atmosphere (Zatchmo, Fame). It's not ideal but clearly there is some progress so no I don't think anyone's going to be winching in Feel Good's head anytime soon. And they're already based in Europe (Portugal).
Thank you - usual standard of commentary then (or my memory)

suestowford

Visit site
There can't be many who could commentate well on dressage. Either they know nothing and infuriate the knowledgeable listeners, or they are deep within dressage and their comments are baffling to those who aren't 'in the know'. From what you've said here they've got both this time around and it's both infuriating and baffling all at once 😄

GreyDot

Visit site
There can't be many who could commentate well on dressage. Either they know nothing and infuriate the knowledgeable listeners, or they are deep within dressage and their comments are baffling to those who aren't 'in the know'. From what you've said here they've got both this time around and it's both infuriating and baffling all at once 😄
I had to mute it in the end, it has to be the most annoying commentary! Hope they get different people for tomorrow!

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Another one that surprised me was Pottier's ride (French horse in Group A). Definitely needed a more open frame but then there wasn't much tail swishing and again didn't have a very frothy mouth.

Just adding some positives as I know it's easy for people to get stuck on the negatives in dressage.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Just watched this one back and agree. Overall I think there was a fair bit to like from across the riders but also lots to not and really very disappointing (but unsurprising) about the well-scored grimness in there as well.

-

Re: qualification, could Carl still be in it if he is within the top six of the riders not in the top two of their groups?