The thread of all Olympic Threads

Suncat

Visit site
Another one here who really enjoyed Becky and Jagerbomb's test, very glad to see them on this stage :)

And also... wow the male commentator on Discovery+ would win gold in the Tone Deaf class 🫢 Just as Becky was entering the arena he mentioned the video of CDJ and summarised the fallout simply as "...and the FEI didn't like it". I'll be glad if others didn't hear it as flippantly, might be me making an assumption on his tone. But if not... also Gold in the Understatement of The Year class to you Sir ;)

Parrotperson

Visit site
So Poland might end up coming dead last in all the equestrian team events, but at least we have the fairytale horse that is Guapo on our side.

Nicky might think he needs more pizzazz in his movement but I think being buckskin gives him all the pizzazz he needs.
But it really is the taking part.

And Guapo (what does that mean?!) is beautiful. 😍😍😍

jojo5

Visit site
‘Anyone who continues to underestimate the influence of social licence does so with a huge level of naivety imho.’ I saw this response to my earlier posts but for some reason could not quote it in the usual way. I hope it does not seem as if I underestimate the influence of social licence, as this is in fact part of my daily job. What I was trying to draw attention to is the tokenistic nature of some comments - however, I realise that my option is simply not to read comments on this thread if their possibly hypocritical viewpoint annoys me. I hope I can continue to enjoy those threads from which I have learnt a great deal. Also thank you to the poster who spoke up to agree with me early on after my first post.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Another one here who really enjoyed Becky and Jagerbomb's test, very glad to see them on this stage :)

And also... wow the male commentator on Discovery+ would win gold in the Tone Deaf class 🫢 Just as Becky was entering the arena he mentioned the video of CDJ and summarised the fallout simply as "...and the FEI didn't like it". I'll be glad if others didn't hear it as flippantly, might be me making an assumption on his tone. But if not... also Gold in the Understatement of The Year class to you Sir ;)
You were lucky you only heard him talk about it once. He kept on and then put Nicky on the spot asking her opinion . I know what CDJ did was disgusting , I couldn’t even watch it to the end it was so awful , and I would be happy to never see her compete again but I think it’s time that commentators stop bringing it up and wait for the FEI judgement..

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
But wasn’t it revealing how our ‘expert’ commentator kept banging on about how ‘safely’ that Becky was riding 🙄.

I hope that Becky can keep on this harmonious path without being pressured to razz her horse up in subsequent rounds.
I would agree it was lovely to see a willing horse who looked happy with what he was being asked to do and how lovely that he is home bred. I think he can get quite fizzy and not halt properly but he was good today.. really looking forward to her next test

humblepie

Visit site
Guapo means "good-looking". I wonder why they picked that name for him...
Not Olympic related but I asked ChatGPT if my horse’s name is a good name for a horse. It said that it’s a lovely name for a gentle horse or something along those lines. It definitely suits him according to artificial intelligence

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
‘Anyone who continues to underestimate the influence of social licence does so with a huge level of naivety imho.’ I saw this response to my earlier posts but for some reason could not quote it in the usual way. I hope it does not seem as if I underestimate the influence of social licence, as this is in fact part of my daily job. What I was trying to draw attention to is the tokenistic nature of some comments - however, I realise that my option is simply not to read comments on this thread if their possibly hypocritical viewpoint annoys me. I hope I can continue to enjoy those threads from which I have learnt a great deal. Also thank you to the poster who spoke up to agree with me early on after my first post.
I don't know if you've posted on the CDJ thread but that might be a better place to discuss your points? This thread is largely a running commentary on the competitions as they are happening.

YourValentine

Visit site
Anyone know why Princess Ann is handing out medals at the French Olympics? Surely the head of Samur or someone would have been more fitting?

I'm all for her having a few, hopefully nice days out at the Olympics, but it seems a bit odd.

Dust Bunny

Visit site

teapot

Visit site
Anyone know why Princess Ann is handing out medals at the French Olympics? Surely the head of Samur or someone would have been more fitting?

I'm all for her having a few, hopefully nice days out at the Olympics, but it seems a bit odd.

She's a past president of the FEI

More importantly, she's also a member of the IOC!

TheMule

Visit site

She is a member is the IOC committee, and a former Olympian herself. She was one of several IOC members who handed out medals in eventing

teapot

Visit site

I think your original post would be better suited to the CDJ thread - there hasn't been any vitriol on this one, just people watching eventing and now dressage with both eyes open as I said. It's great to see the sports being viewed more critically imho :)

jojo5

Visit site
@Rowreach @teapot - I refer to your comments upthread ( as I mentioned, I don’t seem to be able to add quotes at the moment). My posts belong here as, if you look back, you will see that they are about the comments that have been left on this thread.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
So Poland might end up coming dead last in all the equestrian team events, but at least we have the fairytale horse that is Guapo on our side.

Nicky might think he needs more pizzazz in his movement but I think being buckskin gives him all the pizzazz he needs.

I thought the pizazz comment was odd. He moves like a Lusitano and has plenty of pizazz for his type. Dressage shouldn’t be about wanting everything to look like a leggy warmblood.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
@Rowreach @teapot - I refer to your comments upthread ( as I mentioned, I don’t seem to be able to add quotes at the moment). My posts belong here as, if you look back, you will see that they are about the comments that have been left on this thread.

Maybe but the focus of this thread is the competitions, it's made the occasional detour as threads do but come back to competition.

Meanwhile there is another thread discussing your focus in detail. People aren't pointing you to it to shut you down, just that you might have a more interesting discussion where it's the main topic.

ETA another forum I was on if they thought you posted on the wrong thread or in the wrong bit they just moved your post or thread and you'd have trouble finding it.

Last edited:

criso

Visit site
On another subject for those of us without discovery plus.

I get that the BBC have limited access and I'm not criticising as I wouldn't want the entire licence fee spent on this and no drama or current affairs for the next 4 years

I get that they have to make decisions on what to show that won't please everyone and dressage qualifiers are a bit niche

But when I get in, turn the TV on and they have a generous segment showing I think swimmers, painting pictures of each other, I do wonder at their choices.

teddy_

Visit site
On another subject for those of us without discovery plus.

I get that the BBC have limited access and I'm not criticising as I wouldn't want the entire licence fee spent on this and no drama or current affairs for the next 4 years

I get that they have to make decisions on what to show that won't please everyone and dressage qualifiers are a bit niche

But when I get in, turn the TV on and they have a generous segment showing I think swimmers, painting pictures of each other, I do wonder at their choices.
Same, I was a bit miffed when I realised there wasn’t even a highlight of today’s dressage on iPlayer 🙁.

Reactions: tda

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
What Criso said ^^^

Nobody on this thread is either labouring the issues of the past week, nor are they ignoring them. We're just having a nice time following and commenting on the actual competition, mostly in real time.

The forum is a bit muddled at the moment, with a lot of duplicated content, but your thoughts and feelings would, I am sure, be more appropriately discussed in the CDJ thread.

criso

Visit site
The worst was when they went over to Rishi in Versailles and I thought they might just show Carl's test and he just explained how it worked then back to the studio and the only horse was far in the background.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to cooler days
Visit site
I can sympathise with people's frustrations re.coverage but, discovery+ for £3.99 is so worth it. Even technologically phobic me has managed to sign up and download it on my ancient phone. Once signed up you can copy on any device and have access. It's not that difficult an app to nagivate. I've been able to watch 2 events. I don't have a fancy TV either, no sky/netlix etc but used a HDMI cable so I can connect laptop to view on TV.

I'm currently watching tennis on laptop and swimming on the TV. Happy viewer here. (and being on summer holidays means my bum is spreading from being sat on the sofa so much!🤭)

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
I can sympathise with people's frustrations re.coverage but, discovery+ for £3.99 is so worth it. Even technologically phobic me has managed to sign up and download it on my ancient phone. Once signed up you can copy on any device and have access. It's not that difficult an app to nagivate. I've been able to watch 2 events. I don't have a fancy TV either, no sky/netlix etc but used a HDMI cable so I can connect laptop to view on TV.

I'm currently watching tennis on laptop and swimming on the TV. Happy viewer here. (and being on summer holidays means my bum is spreading from being sat on the sofa so much!🤭)
Me too, tv and laptop doubling up at home, phone when I’m out. Cheapest entertainment ever.