Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As someone demonstrated up thread there wasn't much of a difference between the horse expression, tack & "aids"/attempting to remove remove back teeth in the Nick Skelton photo and the Saint Boy photos. Was Nick excusable because he won SJ gold and is British?? I don't get how certain things get a pass and certain others don't*.

The Saint Boy picture was a still taken from a very prolonged video sequence, that had already followed a horrible round by his first rider.

The Skelton photo was a couple of moments in time before he flew the next ginormous fence willingly for his long term rider.

Chalk and cheese.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The link to the photos and videos is in the final sentence of the statement.
Pics allegedly taken yesterday. At least there are leaves on the trees this time!
thankyou, he doesnt look like the sort of horse that anyone could get on. if i saw the canter video i would not be happy to get on and jump 90 let alone 1.20 and i have many years of experience, so what chance to these riders have. this horse should not have been put in this situation in the first place..

tristar

Visit site
when he was in the arena with the german girl, reversing and holding his head up, refusing to walk forwards, i thought it was a classic sign of back pain, but no vet or steward came forward to assess him, all he got was walloped

if he had already been ridden and refused he could have been lame to start with or twisted himself refusing before the german girl got on as the warmup did not go well, evidently

the time allotted to warmup is too short, not long enough for horse and rider to get on speaking terms, and reach operating point physically for the horse.

its like the people running the show are oblivious to, the horses needs, the horses welfare, the time frame warmup, and utterly blind to when its going wrong and fail to act by intervening even to check things out, and incapable of making a decision to pull the horse from the competition, which they should have done.

his eyes have that disinterested switched off look

tristar

Visit site
Saint Boy (and others) need to be more than Saints .. perhaps Martyrs might be more appropriate .. given the "riding" standards.[/QUOT

why do i keep seeing parallel pics in my mind of gladiatorial spectacles of the dark ages, always assuming we have the nerve to consider ourselves enlightened

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The link to the photos and videos is in the final sentence of the statement.
Pics allegedly taken yesterday. At least there are leaves on the trees this time!
It's interesting because the photos they share now just totally confirm that the previous one wasn't what they said it was. . .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I'd like to see how he looks non tired and actually moving forwards/opened up. He's a 15 year old schoolmaster after all.
some schoolmaster who needs a gag and a tight grackle and is now being ridden in draw reins...however i dont blame the horse as he was being jabbed in the mouth which would have been painful and then whipped, no wonder he downed tools and went backwards. if someone had treated my mare like that she would have reversed much quicker and would have spun so quick they would have been off and they would never have caught her

teapot

Visit site
some schoolmaster who needs a gag and a tight grackle and is now being ridden in draw reins...however i dont blame the horse as he was being jabbed in the mouth which would have been painful and then whipped, no wonder he downed tools and went backwards. if someone had treated my mare like that she would have reversed much quicker and would have spun so quick they would have been off and they would never have caught her

The word schoolmaster does not automatically mean loose ring snaffle and no noseband... Also those draw reins really are inoffensive to my eyes in those two videos.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
but why are they being used, i have no problem with draw reins if used properly and i do understand what schoolmasters can be ridden in, im not that daft... but this horse is obviously tired as you said, so why are they being used. dont you think they would have edited out any harsh riding for the public video so you wont have seen draw reins being used inappropriately..

teapot

Visit site
but why are they being used, i have no problem with draw reins if used properly and i do understand what schoolmasters can be ridden in, im not that daft... but this horse is obviously tired as you said, so why are they being used. dont you think they would have edited out any harsh riding for the public video so you wont have seen draw reins being used inappropriately..

They're not being used inappropriately?! They are there to be used if/when needed. Any tired horse can still have a moment, and his home yard will know what he needs/what's standard for the horse in question.

Zuzan

Visit site
The word schoolmaster does not automatically mean loose ring snaffle and no noseband... ..........

This is probably why I don't compete .. as in my books a school master is exactly that .. a horse that you can ride anywhere / do anything in a loose ring / fulmer snaffle and no noseband .. that to me is the ultimate proof of the training .. and the rider.. Yes I know it's an ideal but it is one that I strive for ..

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
i don't really understand why everyone is fixating on the horse now back in his home environment, it's none of our business really how his owners/riders decide what tack to use, he isn't owned by UIPM so it's not really their deal either.

I do get your point. However as the videos show a lame horse questions are bound to be asked about his soundness at the Olympics and what checks were done him prior to competing.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't think a schoolmaster used regularly for training up riders would stay in that virgin snaffle and no noseband territory for long, they have to get patched up by their owners because of the sub-optimal riding they get while doing their job.
Would be some kind of mythical saintly animal that could cope with that without needing "repair work".
I think of schoolmaster more of a temperament thing, a horse that is generous enough to deal with many and varied riders and teach them about whatever the discipline is.

the ones i've ridden have not been textbook horses, they've been really well educated which is different.

milliepops

Visit site
I do get your point. However as the videos show a lane horse questions are bound to be asked about his soundness at the Olympics.
they might be but he would apparently have not just passed a demo ride but also several vet checks including a trot up in front of the riders at the start of the draw. anything could have happened in the days in between. the wild speculation is a bit pointless.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
agree in that video which they have released they are not being used inappropriately, i didnt say they were, what i did say is they could have been but they wouldnt have shown that part of the video, obviously!!!

They're not being used inappropriately?! They are there to be used if/when needed. Any tired horse can still have a moment, and his home yard will know what he needs/what's standard for the horse in question.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Anything *could* be used incorrectly by anyone anywhere at any time.

The wild speculation and projection on this thread is beyond ridiculous.

HHO at its finest ?

Well it is a discussion forum. I think everyone just really cares about horse welfare on here and we want to hope that things could be better in the future.

milliepops

Visit site
Well it is a discussion forum. I think everyone just really cares about horse welfare on here and we want to hope that things could be better in the future.
yeah but discussions based on fact are more useful than people imagining stuff that may or may not happen, he might have been subject to any kind of thing same as Charlotte du Jardin might have painted Pumpkin extra orange before setting off to Tokyo but it doesn't really add anything to the conversation....