Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

teapot

Visit site
well yes if they are likely to drown! which hopefully they are not

i dont think its a good comparison is not the same as a rotational fall or crash landing with a heap of poles between your horses legs

I'd say drowning is up there with not the way you want to go personally!

They pulled the team GB chap out of the men's open water swimming after he got punched in the face by an elbow and couldn't see...

tristar

Visit site
when i was young i saved quite a few people in the water, trained as life saver, but dont think i would cope well with horse and rider disaster

Kat

Visit site
I'd say drowning is up there with not the way you want to go personally!

They pulled the team GB chap out of the men's open water swimming after he got punched in the face by an elbow and couldn't see...

And the medics turned up with a wheelchair when Katerina Johnson-Thompson pulled up lame in the women's heptathlon. Maybe running races is too risky too.........

Or maybe medics/vets/lifeguards are just a precaution because injuries can occur no matter how many precautions are taken.

tristar

Visit site
And the medics turned up with a wheelchair when Katerina Johnson-Thompson pulled up lame in the women's heptathlon. Maybe running races is too risky too.........

Or maybe medics/vets/lifeguards are just a precaution because injuries can occur no matter how many precautions are taken.

hence my hesitancy to
Why shouldn't the horses get the same medical precautions as the riders?

I'd have a vet permanently in my field if I could.
enter tesco

of course, but athletes can make their own decisions to take part, or not horses can`t

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
of course, but athletes can make their own decisions to take part, or not horses can`t

Which is one reason why I am not 100% happy about any of the sport at high level, or polo at any level, or jump racing, or flat racing 2 and 3 year olds.

But we have to start somewhere, it can't all be changed overnight, and a sport which deliberately uses horses to expose the difference between good riders and bad riders and to create a spectacle of the bad riding on a World platform seems a damned good place to start for me.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
oh i`m the opposite, if i dont see the vet for two years on callouts i`m very happy!

I didn't say I wanted them to have to do anything.

Just the peace of mind that if the horses do what horses do, get hurt or ill at the drop of a hat, they're there immediately to treat.

Kind of what they're at every fence in the Olympics for?

tristar

Visit site
I didn't say I wanted them to have to do anything.

Just the peace of mind that if the horses do what horses do, get hurt or ill at the drop of a hat, they're there immediately to treat.

Kind of what they're at every fence in the Olympics for?

but they could not save the horse that died, despite being on site. so that tips the morality of it even further

i dont have your problem we have a vet next door!

she`s very good! very low call out he he!

ycbm

Visit site
but they could not save the horse that died, despite being on site. so that tips the morality of it even further

The horse that died was injured. Thousands of horses that have got injured will have been PTS today. Was the injury specific to being at the Olympics, to eventing at all, or just one of those things that horses do from time to time, even if they're alone in a field?

Kat

Visit site

They could "save" the horse but it was considered that due to the severity of the injury the humane thing was to put him down. He didn't die of his injuries.

The fact that they had so many vets meant there was no delay in treatment. It didn't change the outcome in this case but it could have done in a different type of injury.

tristar

Visit site
The horse that died was injured. Thousands of horses that have got injured will have been PTS today. Was the injury specific to being at the Olympics, to eventing at all, or just one of those things that horses do from time to time, even if they're alone in a field?

dunno what you are rambling on about to be honest, you keep asking me , i can`t imagine why!

tristar

Visit site
They could "save" the horse but it was considered that due to the severity of the injury the humane thing was to put him down. He didn't die of his injuries.

The fact that they had so many vets meant there was no delay in treatment. It didn't change the outcome in this case but it could have done in a different type of injury.

he died because he was put down due to an injury

sadly he is dead, rip, dear horse

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The chances are he'll never be used for pentathlon again. He was provided for one competition and there won't be another in Japan for years. He's a normal show jumper, who was well cared for before and is normally ridden by competent riders. His world doesn't need changing, that one hour in his past did, but that's impossible. I'm not saying there's not an issue just that it highlighted a wider issue and that's what should be focussed on, not the one horse who had a bad day.

I agree the photo is suspicious but that doesn't mean he was PTS. Why would they need / want to put him down? He was traumatised but not physically injured and it's far too soon to tell whether the emotional trauma has had a lasting effect that would require such drastic action. I agree the UIPM need to take a good had look at themselves but I don't think they're in the business of killing healthy horses because they didn't perform - and even if they were he's not their horse, he was loaned to them for the competition. I think it's far more likely he'd been taken home, they didn't have a photo of him and they panicked and used one they thought they'd get away with.

agree with this, i can't understand the number of people coming out with the PTS theory, part of the rules of MP is something like that horses may be "reschooled" over fences if they have a bad round, there's clearly an expectation that the horses may recover from a rubbish ride. they were all quality 1.20m jumpers, why would you rush to PTS a horse like that?

Winters100

Visit site
It is actually really time for them to think of something else, because it could be a really cool event if it did not include live animals. I was thinking today how nice it would be if they had a 'surprise' part, instead of show jumping. Could be that they would get something not known in advance - whether it be high jump, long jump, javelin or kayaking - just as long as no animals in it. That would be a real test of an all round athlete and without the suffering of the current event.

Reactions: TPO