Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
No one is saying there are?

The top level of MP is never going to look as polished as the top level of the three main disciplines by a LONG way, and expecting it to is bonkers. So few of MP competitors are riders, some may only ride once a month - what they're asked to do is a huge ask on that basis.

But it should be polished if it’s going to exist? You don’t see grass roots eventers riding round an Olympic course, or medium dressage riders having a bash at beating Charlotte?

Olympic MP riders should be top level.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
On the BBC they were just saying that Kate French came up through pony club but Jo Chung started with swimming.
i think that showed, she looked good on the horse from the off, and he looked like he was managing to pilot it round fairly well.

HashRouge

Visit site
i think that showed, she looked good on the horse from the off, and he looked like he was managing to pilot it round fairly well.
Yes, I agree. He will be lucky though - as part of the GB team I imagine he will have received a good amount of training for the riding. A lot of these competitors won't have had that, especially if they are from a country that doesn't have the funding for its Olympic athletes.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
But interestingly KF said afterwards on BBC that the horse was not the type that she normally likes. Her coach got her to ride it more forward, which clearly worked.

Fred66

Visit site
Admittedly the PC tetrathlon (no fencing) is on your own horse but at open level the riding is BE novice level xc so you have to be able to ride, hence why the GB teams tend to do well (albeit Choong didn’t come up through PC).
Not sure that eliminating at each stage is good as it is meant to be best all rounder and they only have 36 start anyway. This will shift the emphasis to the earlier events.

teapot

Visit site
But it should be polished if it’s going to exist? You don’t see grass roots eventers riding round an Olympic course, or medium dressage riders having a bash at beating Charlotte?

Olympic MP riders should be top level.

Top level for their OWN sport, not in comparison to the equestrian events. I wonder what the Olympic fencers think of their fencing, or the swimmers re their technique? Not denying that a 1m 20 course is a huge ask, and things need to change, but you're comparing chalk and cheese here.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Top level for their OWN sport, not in comparison to the equestrian events. I wonder what the Olympic fencers think of their fencing, or the swimmers re their technique? Not denying that 1m 20 course is a huge ask, and things need to change, but you're comparing chalk and cheese here.

Presumably so long as they don’t stab each other or drown then the standard of the other disciplines evens out and nobody suffers, but the fact is that the majority of them are not capable of riding to what is set as the Olympic level, and they clearly need to do some work or remove the jumping element or revise it in some way.

If as you suggest the level of their skills in all elements is not up to scratch, then MP has no place as an Olympic sport.

Above all, it is the welfare of the horses that matters, and that is what has so shocked the majority of people watching.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I was in the pony club tetrathalon team and the xc was pretty demanding especially as alot of us were on ponies. It was debatable how 'safe' the shooting was given at the time i had undiagnosed short sight and one of the junior boys did manage to shoot himself in the hand. Only a pellet but it did go in at close range.

teapot

Visit site
Presumably so long as they don’t stab each other or drown then the standard of the other disciplines evens out and nobody suffers, but the fact is that the majority of them are not capable of riding to what is set as the Olympic level, and they clearly need to do some work or remove the jumping element or revise it in some way.

If as you suggest the level of their skills in all elements is not up to scratch, then MP has no place as an Olympic sport.

Above all, it is the welfare of the horses that matters, and that is what has so shocked the majority of people watching.

The 1m20 course is the standard set by UIPM across all national/international levels of modern penthalon I believe. The fences haven't been whacked up because it's the Olympics.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The 1m20 course is the standard set by UIPM across all national/international levels of modern penthalon I believe. The fences haven't been whacked up because it's the Olympics.

Exactly, so none of them are up to the standard demanded and therefore they should not be on stage at the Olympic Games.

teapot

Visit site
Exactly, so none of them are up to the standard demanded and therefore they should not be on stage at the Olympic Games.

By saying that, they're also not up to the standard at any of their national/international competitions either? MP isn't any different at the Worlds or Euros. The standard we've seen is the standard seen across the board, and under MP rules is deemed acceptable. Whether it's acceptable under FEI rules is a whole other question/debate, but until MP comes under FEI rules, nothing will change.

ETS: just checked rule book - Olympic MP is equivalent to their World champs and the World Cup final.

Look what's happened to Olympic Eventing - it used to be the pinnacle of the sport, it's not anymore.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i don't think none were at the standard, there were some very assured rounds, and particularly today some less experienced riders still making a reasonable effort and not troubling their horse IMO.
i think sticking it as the first event may well change everything about this. if you stand a high chance of being eliminated even if you have a bad ride but still get round, the incentive to improve is so much greater. as mentioned above though some countries may not have much of a support network for training and they might find it's not a sport they can do any more.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I was in the pony club tetrathalon team and the xc was pretty demanding especially as alot of us were on ponies. It was debatable how 'safe' the shooting was given at the time i had undiagnosed short sight and one of the junior boys did manage to shoot himself in the hand. Only a pellet but it did go in at close range.

blimey Charlie! That's hard core.

olop

Visit site
I haven’t watched the men’s yet but why are they allowed to wear spurs?! My OH was in fits watching it yesterday but I said to him it’s not really that funny, poor horses! I’d kill to be able to get mine to do a nice round over 1m20 and they were just awful. Not nice to watch at all.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I haven’t watched the men’s yet but why are they allowed to wear spurs?! My OH was in fits watching it yesterday but I said to him it’s not really that funny, poor horses! I’d kill to be able to get mine to do a nice round over 1m20 and they were just awful. Not nice to watch at all.

Yes I don't think spas OR whips should be allowed. Quite a few fell off or had bad rounds because of using them.

Fred66

Visit site
1.20m is not Olympic height SJ, its Olympic height MP SJ, at which height these competitors should be out competing regularly.
The pure SJ course was 1.50-1.66 with spreads to match.
It is tough but then they should ensure that they are riding at that level.
It’s one part of a 5 element sport so you would not expect them to be the best in the world at each individual element the point is for them to be good allrounders. It was fairly obvious in the women’s event that a significant minority fell far short on the riding front.

wispagold

Visit site
MP makes sense as a natural progression from PC tetrathlon but I am not sure it works as an Olympic event. Compared to the heptathlon and triathlon the competitors don't seem to be of the same standard. Maybe having riders compete on their own horse would make the most sense. I think for an Olympic standard a 1.20m course isn't that a big an ask. But on a strange horse, that is then used twice there are way too many variables to make it a fair test.

teapot

Visit site
I mean the rule book states 'the foot must not be attached to the stirrup in any way' - the sport is SO different to what we all know, and that has to be recogised I feel.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Jumping 1.20 (?) under pressure on a strange horse ( who may have had an unpleasant experience at shortly before) is a tall order for many of these riders .
What happened to German rider was set up by the rider before .
That was the unfair luck of the draw for her .
At the very least they should one horse per competitor .
Personally I think it’s a sport whose Olympic days are numbered in the current format .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yup agree. Also seen worse in riding schools and out at both unaffiliated and affiliated, yet no one raises an eyebrow in the same way MP seems to get a reaction.

This is supposed to be world class sport people are watching, not a local run down riding school or an amateur bumbling around a low level BE. The eyes of the world are on this systematic abuse of the horses in the name of medals and "entertainment".