Vegan boyfriend...and hunting....

Fidgety

Visit site
I completely agree and have mentioned this to him, however he believes he is not supporting pet shops but in fact saving the animals sold within them! Very backwards

Does he think the earth is flat too?

You know the answer all ready, you don't need our permission. Tally ho! :)

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
He never told me to give anything up just pushed me to the point of giving them up with the comments I got anytime I did something. I stopped wearing my favourite pair of shoes (red doc martens) after all the comments I got when wearing them.

That reply of yours is ringing alarm bells with me. Strongly recommend you get out of the relationship now.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Rather more worryingly, her job is conducted in relative safety but she could be partially responsible for the death of many. Whilst wearing her leather shoes! She does the same job as me and I cannot understand how you can’t eat cheese because it’s immoral but can reconcile yourself with doing what we do!

Oh I don't know, animals are generally more pleasant than people :D

Bri101

Visit site
OP, surely you need to get your horse settled on the right feed before contemplating hunting him?
To echo others (If this isn't a wind up, as is education holidays) I'd dump him asap.

Not talking right this minute for hunting, but in the not so distant future, have started thinking about it now so that I can be settled on this situation sooner rather than later

case895

Visit site
Some vegans behave that their dietary preference is a religious cult. In fact many would get kicked out of Scientology for being too "culty".

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all just want to rant really!!
I have a vegan boyfriend who is completely against hunting....my issue is I have dreamed of hunting since I was about 8 years old when I helped a friend out at a hunt meet she hosted on her property. Never had my own horse up until recently so haven't been able to, but now I do have my own horse I'm desperate to get out and do it, however I've been told by my boyfriend that this is not something he ever wants me to get involved in. Have tried to explain that I have lived in the countryside my entire life and have grown up around hunting,shooting etc and it's just normal for me. However he is not having it, I have used every argument against him I can think of including the fact that there is a ban currently but I have now run out of arguments....do I just ditch him?? 😂😂 is anyone else in any sort of similar position and can reassure me that one day I might convince him, or is there just no hope??
Really - though I can appreciate his chosen path to be a vegan - he has no right to tell you not to do it as it is your life, that said you knew he was vegan and would be against some things in your relationship.

He should say* I appreciate you want to do it and I won't stop you but I am not in favour of it and nor do I want to you to tell me or report to me what happens*

Alec Swan

Visit site
Oh I don't know, animals are generally more pleasant than people :D

…. and mostly, we don't get in to too much hot water when we kill them and eat them. Animals also seem strangely accepting of that, though I remain convinced that I could only consider cannibalism in an emergency.

Alec. :)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Bri, I'm intrigued …. when 2 people live together and one is a vegan and the other is normal, what on earth happens at meal times? Do you both cook for yourselves? Do you have separate fridges so that one set of ingredients doesn't become infected by the other?

Alec.

By 'normal', I'm assuming you mean 'omnivore'.

I'm not the OP, but I am a vegan (well, actually I'm a vegetarian with dairy allergies and egg intolerance - but I wouldn't go back to consuming dairy even if I wasn't allergic for my own reasons - so why split hairs ;) ) but live with my omnivore boyfriend.

We have one fridge and we share. I buy oat milk for myself, I buy cows milk for him and so on - it's all very simple!

Generally we eat similar meals - e.g tonight we made pizza and I used vegan cheese and he used cow's cheese, I used veg as toppings, he used meat. We prepared, cooked and ate it together as we do most meals. There are some things I buy vegan for us both - wine for example, which I don't even think crosses his mind!

We take it in turns to cook - I have no issue touching or handling meat, just as he has no issue cooking tofu. There are some vegan things he likes so we both eat the same of - some sausages for example, he prefers.

I don't expect him to stop eating meat for my sake, just as I wouldn't anyone else. But I don't expect him to ask me start eating meat too.

OP - he sounds like a nasty person, vegan or not. Get rid in my opinion!

Arzada

Visit site
He never told me to give anything up just pushed me to the point of giving them up with the comments I got anytime I did something. I stopped wearing my favourite pair of shoes (red doc martens) after all the comments I got when wearing them.
He got you to do/not do exactly what he wants - I can't see the difference between whether he tells you directly or uses adverse comments every time you did/do something he doesn't want you to do.

Peter7917

Visit site
My partner does not agree with fox hunting. His family are strongly apposed. My family are just as strongly apposed.

I've recently come back from a fox hunting trip to Ireland.

Don't let other people rule your life. Make your own decisions. Those that love you will accept them even if they do not agree with them.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Suggest he runs as quarry with a bloodhound pack so he can be 100% they are chasing humans!

I was going to suggest that too!

Trouble is, some vegans are absolutely opposed to any animal exploitation and would consider racing, eventing and even horse riding itself as not compatible with their beliefs.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Go with Bloodhounds - there is no vegan contradiction there.

They still shoot the dogs when they get slow though I think, no? So, sadly there is still animal slaughter for sport involved...

I mean OP is clearly a little (her horse is 14hh so we can assume she is fairly little) wind up artist so I'm replying for you not her - but yeah, I think there would still be a contradiction as animals are still killed entirely for pleasure, albeit the pleasure comes first.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
They still shoot the dogs when they get slow though I think, no? So, sadly there is still animal slaughter for sport involved...

That certainly isn't the case in my experience; several bloodhounds were re-homed as family pets, are still going strong and are much loved by their owners (who also supported the hunt).

GirlFriday

Visit site
That certainly isn't the case in my experience; several bloodhounds were re-homed as family pets, are still going strong and are much loved by their owners (who also supported the hunt).

Interesting - what makes them/their care intrinsically different from foxhounds which are routinely shot as the hunts regard them as un-rehomable?

Alec Swan

Visit site
Interesting - what makes them/their care intrinsically different from foxhounds which are routinely shot as the hunts regard them as un-rehomable?

I'm really sorry to say this, but I would need to physically witness the successful re-homing of any Hounds, before I believed what I read. How many Police Dogs would make for successful Guide Dogs? …. any ideas anyone?

Alec.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

They have been bred for centuries to work in close contact with man, often on a leash, to find but not kill prey. Fox hounds hunt as a pack relatively autonomously, and kill prey.

Alec how does whether a Police dog could be turned into a Guide dog relate to whether a bloodhound can become a family pet :D ? I don't know any adult dog that has been trained to a job that could become a guide dog, do you?

The working bloodhounds I've met have been soppy great beasts who would slobber you to death :D

GF I don't know why you are so concerned about dogs being shot, it's a wonderful quick death that they know nothing about. I'd rather see any number of working dogs shot when they can't do their job than some of the poor creatures I see being dragged about on the end of a lead because the owner is too emotionally attached to see that it should be put down.

Last edited:

crabbymare

Visit site
Although in a different way I have been there and got the certificate. I saw it fairly early and did not allow it but my advice to you is wake up and see what is going on. DO NOT allow him to control what you do, wear, eat, live or how you think. If you cannot do that get out NOW

GirlFriday

Visit site
GF I don't know why you are so concerned about dogs being shot, it's a wonderful quick death that they know nothing about. I'd rather see any number of working dogs shot when they can't do their job than some of the poor creatures I see being dragged about on the end of a lead because the owner is too emotionally attached to see that it should be put down.
I'm perfectly capable of agreeing when a dog needs PTS (I've no regrets about that being how my last went) but treating them as an expendable commodity for sport I have an issue with - plenty of ppl on here rehome racers (and a few have greyhound versions too!) so they can have a life beyond work when they could easily and quickly be shot and that is generally considered a positive, same thing really...

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. Alec how does whether a Police dog could be turned into a Guide dog relate to whether a bloodhound can become a family pet :D ? I don't know any adult dog that has been trained to a job that could become a guide dog, do you?

…….. .

I suppose that you were also one of those who was in support of Kauto Star taking up a new career as a dressage horse! :D that worked a treat, didn't it? :D The analogy is the same, animals which have been bred and importantly 'used', often for centuries, and to do one specific job (thinking racehorses, greyhounds, and bloodhounds too), and it is generally kinder, as happens with foxhounds, that their light is switched off, humanely and instantly rather than inflict a life of well intentioned but ignorant treatment upon them, as generally happens.

Alec.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Take a look at what I said about Kauto Star at the time Alec. I was dead against what was done with that horse and his last appearance in the spotlight was horrible.

We agree completely. I don't know why you think we don't. There are far worse fates for an animal, especially one used to a certain way of life, than a clean death at any age.

GirlFriday

Visit site
I did wonder how your retiring sheep dog met it's end Alec...

I think it would be fair to say I'm more against racing than I'm against racers doing a bit of dressage rather than being shot on leaving the track...

Like the OP claims to have I've always fancied hunting (not the killing parts, the dashing around half-cut with little regard for life & limb and masses of horses part) but the dog-shooting aspects of all forms (and lack of funds) have put me off. I blame too much early-Victorian literature as a teen myself.

Theocat

Visit site

Okay, so he is trying to do control you / you're letting him.

Seriously, neither of you sound happy. And I can't see any way that two people with such opposing views can be.

SEL

Visit site
OP - my mother is completely opposed to fox hunting and so it's something I never had a go at as a child (despite living in amazing hunting country and having the perfect pony! ). If i had the right horse now then I'd definitely have a go - but to preserve family relations I'd likely go out with the blood hounds. The worst they are likely to do is lick their quarry to death.