Victoria Pendleton to train as a jockey

KautoStar1

Visit site
Sadly she fell off today on the flat in her latest ride in a point to point. Much as I admire her guts and determination as well as her nerve & I congratulate her for getting this far in such a short space of time I feel Cheltenham is a step too far for her this year. Another 12 months under her belt and perhaps doing a variety of riding too would help. I hate watching the amateur races. Most of the riders are quite awful to be honest and she's probably no worse in some cases but they have the benefit of race experience which she sadly lacks. I hope they postpone her attempt and let her home her skills a little more. In time she could actually become quite decent.

Visit site
Lost a stirrup according to the Guardian article.

She lost the stirrup when the horse pitched on landing at the 3rd last and fell off shortly after. At least she came off before the next fence got in the way to give her a bigger slap on the ground. By all accounts her horse was flying and would probably have won as he was still going and everyone else was treading water.

Next year. Another seasons pointing, a summer of learning and an autumn of hunting under her belt then I would be less worried about her going round Cheltenham.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
The tension is palpable, soon we will know if she is going to ride, presumably an agreement is to be made by the trainers , the horse owner, the sponsor and Victoria, some can veto the ride, but I am not even sure what Victoria and the sponsor will vote as the chances are that she will fall off, pity.
I am not too worried: I expect she will live to fight another day, but if something does go badly wrong, it will be a sad day.
If she bows out gracefully, I expect she will have a nice four days at the Festival, re-paying her sponsors as best she can. Either way, it as been an interesting journey.

Last edited:

Spilletta

Visit site
Racing Post website says she's been confirmed to ride, more to follow...

I trust in the powers that be who say she's good to go, so well done VP, and good luck!

Clodagh

Visit site
Well best of British luck to her. It wonb't be as nerve wracking as watching Sprinter Sacre, but not far off it!

pip6

Visit site
Yes fair play to her on attempting it. However, it is a professional sport, so what about being fair to the owners of the horse and the punters? The horse would have won, so it has already missed out on one lot of prize money the owner/trainer/lads should have had. Is it fair to have a novice on such a good horse that other jocks would have won on?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes fair play to her on attempting it. However, it is a professional sport, so what about being fair to the owners of the horse and the punters? The horse would have won, so it has already missed out on one lot of prize money the owner/trainer/lads should have had. Is it fair to have a novice on such a good horse that other jocks would have won on?

She can't ride it without the owner's and trainer's permission, so they must be happy, possibly with what Betfair are paying them to allow her the ride.

How is it unfair to the punters? It couldn't be clearer what the situation is, could it?

GOOD LUCK VICTORIA!

popsdosh

Visit site

LOL she has already won on the horse!!

We all start some where its just that VP has moved on at a faster pace than most.

Your post actually shows a certain lack of understanding of the challenge for your information all the Jockeys in the race are amateurs !!!

Bloody good luck to her I get a bit fed up with the negativity some are showing.
Everybody including VP are fully aware of the risks involved the same as any other Jockey in the race. Of all the PTP and other jockey I have spoken to who have any contact with VP they all admire her for what she has achieved.

Visit site
Many of us stable staff wish her all the best and admire what she is doing. The amateurs that are whinging are the ones that are jealous that they neither have a ride in the ride nor the money to buy such a good horse as the one she is riding.

Personally I wish her all the best BUT I wouldn't want to have a horse of mine in the Foxhunters with her around just in case she causes carnage by being caught out by the sheer speed of Cheltenham.

popsdosh

Visit site
Many of us stable staff wish her all the best and admire what she is doing. The amateurs that are whinging are the ones that are jealous that they neither have a ride in the ride nor the money to buy such a good horse as the one she is riding.

Personally I wish her all the best BUT I wouldn't want to have a horse of mine in the Foxhunters with her around just in case she causes carnage by being caught out by the sheer speed of Cheltenham.

To be honest I think you may see a more decisive VP at Cheltenham most of her problems have arisen when she has had to much time to think. I think PN will have made sure she has had some more experience pertinent to the race. Even if not in public.
I said before I dont think it will be her first experience of Cheltenham.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
To be honest I think you may see a more decisive VP at Cheltenham most of her problems have arisen when she has had to much time to think. I think PN will have made sure she has had some more experience pertinent to the race. Even if not in public.
I said before I dont think it will be her first experience of Cheltenham.
It will be her first experience of Cheltenham race riding., schooling over a few fences with a sane companion at normal speed is not the same.

Spilletta

Visit site
There's a good interview with VP in this week's Go Pointing

Thanks for the reminder to read my copy! It was good, wasn't it. Will be great to see her continuing in PtP next season.

I was pondering the point that some people have made about it being a "slap in the face" for up and coming hopefuls: I can't see that it is because she's helping to highlight the sport which could eventually provide more opportunities for others in the future. And I don't think there's going to be a mass of "celebrities" following in her footsteps who will take the places away from those already trying to make their way.

Hopefully I'll get time to visit the local bookies for an e/w bet on the race tomorrow. I rarely bet and when I do, I don't follow the "bet with your head" advice - I'm definitely of the heart type :)

oldie48

Visit site
Well, she rode a very good safe race and came in 5th. Well done VP, great for the sport, great for women and a great achievement, which no-one can deny. (I was so nervous for her, I had to walk round the room!) I wish she'd thanked the horse though but perhaps I missed it!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm letting her have that for wanting to not leave any of the people out! I thought she did a good job, let him jump the last before getting after him and he went on well :)

amage

Visit site

Actually she was riding in an Amateur race in which professionals cannot compete and given that there was a huge question mark on whether or not the horse would get the trip you cannot assume he would have won with someone else. She rode a super, tactical race and jumped everything safely before letting rip up the hill. Fair play to her

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

The owner pays all the bills and can do what he likes.
As far as punters are concerned, they can bet on raindrops running down a window, they pay zilch to keep a horse in training, they actually got a better price on the winner than they would have had if VP had not taken some of the market share due to heart over head money. As an occasional punter I often bet against the market favourite, its my choice, I don't need to bet if I don't like the odds.
The owner was happy to let someone ride his horse, he has plenty of them, but not many are as as suitable, and he will have been asked if he wants it to be used for the purpose.
As others have pointed out the sport is not totally for professionals, amateur riders still ride in races under rules, and they dont get a share of the winnings, its not particularly unfair as they are often working as a lad in a big yard, and they get a favourable weight allowance, they get invaluable experience and the joy of racing. Its not all about big money races, dozens of jockeys barely make a decent living year on year.
There is no guarantee the horse would have won with the best amateur on board, that is just too simplistic. Who is to decide who is the best amateur, is he attached to a different yard/owner, committed to another horse, etc etc.
Sam Waley-Cohen is an amateur, and Daddy bought him a horse to win big races, is that unfair on the others in the same race?

Last edited:

suffolkmare

Visit site
Also just watched on +1 and hadn't seen Victoria ride before. I was quite nervous for Pacha as he is a good horse, but wow what a well ridden race, she deserved that 5th place, and the celebrations tonight!

Chiffy

Visit site
Very well done. Glad they interviewed Nina before Victoria though.

Where have you been Whinney, that you follow racing but did not know about this challenge?!

She did so well to keep her cool and not get over excited once she found her self creeping into contention.

Spilletta

Visit site
Well done VP - excellent stuff. And very pleased for Nina too.

Looking forward to a VP film/documentary (can't imagine there won't be one?) Hope she carries on riding.