Weekend Plans!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thanks, yes just looked again and there is one place that is within reach for me, but when I looked at their website the next couple of clinics this year seem to be booked up already. Ah well, will look again next year.

mairiwick

Visit site
We have quite a busy weekend ahead which is nice for a change! Kicked off with a dressage clinic at Kelsall this evening with Adam Murdin.. had a massive grin on my face got tons out of it and really enjoyed his approach to working with us. Have also realised I need to stop apologising in advance for my crap riding as I'm finally starting to believe I'm not as awful as I think I am! Tomorrow is my birthday and after dropping several hints to the husband about booking a meal out somewhere, I've given up and booked on a SJ clinic instead ?
Saturday back to Kelsall for a BD training 'competition', have entered prelim and novice so hoping to get better engagement and contact throughout taking some of the work we did in today's lesson.
Mostly I'm also glad it's not due to be as hot as it was the middle of the week and glad the dressage saddle fits and is no longer riding up her shoulder!

Have a fab weekend everyone!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Good luck to those out competing!

This evening I was at a Franklin Method (ride with balls!) demo which was interesting. I've got a lesson tomorrow afternoon - really hoping the thunder and lightening holds off for that! Then Saturday I'm going to see my share horse and his owner for the second time. Again, weather depending we're planning to go on a slightly longer hack but even if there's no riding I'll be happy just to go up and spend some time with him again :D His owner seems very nice and happy to do a bit of initial 'hand holding' to get me up to speed with riding and what I need to do on my days. Also planning to shop at some point following the various tips from my thread about 'yard wear'.

Sheep

Visit site
Ooo last nights lesson was hard work. So warm! Me and horse both melted. Just ran through our tests, that was plenty!!!
The prelim test is grand, the novice one is a bit twisty and has some walk to canter which we haven’t really tackled yet. We aren’t going to be competitive though, just out for the craic ?

To be honest I’m still really happy with what we’ve achieved so far. I had barely ridden in about 18 months when we got our newbie and he had only been ridden by pros, so in some ways we are working to put the pieces together. I think he is a total saint for tolerating me tbh!!! Look at that face!

B9112580-BA16-4603-90E4-F5EA77C9DD4F.jpeg

Xc schooling on Sunday to remind him he’s meant to be an eventer ?

dorsetladette

Visit site
If I can get my foot in my boot I will be hacking tomorrow and schooling B1 on Sunday. I want him more forward and of the leg as his transitions are getting a bit lazy. I struggle to keep him responsive sometimes so that is my aim. I might pop a couple of fences in just to make it a bit more interesting for him. I hate jumping but he has always been very keen so we try to compromise a little.

Have a good weekend everyone.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Took Nix for dressage & SJ training yesterday at Radfords (Llanymynech). She considered it too hot for dressage but did a sweet obedient test. We pick up q a few 7s now, because her underlying work is good, so need to build on these.

SJ we jumped round 100 and then 110 to work on rideability after the wildness at Cholmondeley Castle. Heat didn't bother her too much as soon as fences were involved(!) Good experience and she did wait for the fences most of the time so will build on this at home before our next event in a couple of wks.

Reilee is at Cholmondeley Castle UA Horse Trials on Sunday doing the 100, builidng on the BE90 run a couple of wks ago. Looks like we may get wet ;)

Have good weekends everyone!

Chippers1

Visit site
Eland lodge great as per! Buzz enjoyed himself and jumped everything I asked him to do, which I was very pleased about because my aim was to get him over the newer jumps that we hadn't done before and he flew over them!
One run out at the corner that he's done loads ? ah well, at least I know to keep my leg on for that!
Jumped a couple of the 80 fences and really surprised myself by doing the last 80 which I think looks way too wide but actually jumped really nicely so I was really happy about that. Wide fences scare me!
20200814_152059.jpg

Then when we got back I was cleaning the box and the partition swung into the side of my head somehow so now I have a big old lump and a headache ?

MOT for box tomorrow so ?

McFluff

Visit site
Lesson tomorrow then hoping to get a hack with friends on Sunday. Got permission to park on their yard and they have some lovely hacking. Will be nice to get out.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We are competing, can't remember the last time I plaited a horse up and turned it out for competition, certainly before xmas 2019.

Dim Tim is off to Stourport Riding Centre to strut his stuff in 2 prelims. He has recovered from his surgery and actually looks quite nice at the moment, he can be trusted to behave (famous last words) so hopefully we will have a nice morning. At least it is cooler now. Good luck to all others competing.

Wheels

Visit site
Ms hind hoof 1 - 0 wheels' head... ouch

I was just bending down to undo the velcro on Ms left hind hoof boot when he went to swat a fly on his belly with his right hind, kind of swung it across his mid line. Got me square on the bridge of my nose and middle of my forehead with the front of his hoof!

Thankfully it was not overly hard but I have a bit of a lump on my forehead and my nose feels like someone is pressing it! Anyway no real harm done, only a few brain cells gone I think, new safety protocols are now on the cards lol

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Great score BRB!

Ouch Wheels, that must've hurt, bridge of nose impact is a really icky feeling pain too :confused:. Hope you feel better soon.

New physio was a hit. Really liked her approach and her movement analysis. Arts was angelic and seemed to really enjoy the treatment and Pebbles didn't behave like she was a horse eating human - hooray!

little_critter

Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday evening. Only the second private lesson I’ve had with this trainer (I go to group clinics too) but each time I’ve felt like we‘ve made a massive leap forward. Last night was addressing his contact which is affecting other areas of our work. Mainly the lesson is educating me in what ‘good’ feels like. I’m too soft, I don’t ask for enough from T. The lessons show me that I can ask for more, he can do it, and he’s not unhappy about being asked to do it
I’ve roped my OH in to help me jumping tomorrow.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I love the way he uses his back legs IHW.

Are you planning on having him out to a comp this season or are you waiting for next year now?

scats

Visit site
Super day at the farm ride. Met up with a friend and her horse and we had a great afternoon. It’s 6 miles, many optional fences and 2 water splashes. Lots of space for a good trot and canter. Horses started off spooky and wired, there was a lot of spinning, reversing and general merriment but they settled down and we laughed from start to finish. The ride is at a yard a couple of miles from Chester zoo and is well worth a trip if anyone is from around this way. 862A19C0-A5B7-4968-8BF4-CA405B7BE03E.jpeg16009B49-8E31-47AE-947D-98835A2B8D63.jpeg

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Bear has been practising for when he goes on hound exercise! Tomorrow he’s meeting a friend for a hack off the yard.

Aww that's so sweet - follow the leader!

I went to see share horse for 2nd time today and out for another hack plus a little bit of time in the school for the first time. I dont know if I'm being too hard on myself but I feel like I 'should' be more confident with things, but each time with a new horse I'm back to square one because I feel so unsure.

That aside, I'm feeling very lucky to have found an owner who seems genuinely happy to accompany me on the yard and walk out on the hacks.

Horse was a star again on the hack, a little lazy in the school but that's just fine for me. Hoping to have a lesson very soon with someone who knows him well and his owner helped me be a bit braver in getting him going.

Also got some bargain jods in decathlon so a bonus there!

Lexi_

Visit site
Lexi you'll be fence judging a flying dun Connemara with a friend riding him at his first ODE in the 90.

Good luck to everyone competing.

I took photos of a couple of them but I’m not sure which one she was! Did she have a good round?

Back home now and had a fab day, although I’ve managed to sunburn just one arm! There were some interesting sights into the 80 class - a delightful mixture of tiny ponies and very novicey horses and lots of people trotting round a lot of it. 90 and 100 rode really well and lots of the usual BE names were out, so there were some classy horses to watch!

Lexi_

Visit site
Aww that's so sweet - follow the leader!

I went to see share horse for 2nd time today and out for another hack plus a little bit of time in the school for the first time. I dont know if I'm being too hard on myself but I feel like I 'should' be more confident with things, but each time with a new horse I'm back to square one because I feel so unsure.

That aside, I'm feeling very lucky to have found an owner who seems genuinely happy to accompany me on the yard and walk out on the hacks.

Horse was a star again on the hack, a little lazy in the school but that's just fine for me. Hoping to have a lesson very soon with someone who knows him well and his owner helped me be a bit braver in getting him going.

Also got some bargain jods in decathlon so a bonus there!

Please don’t feel too pressured into anything, or that you “should” be feeling or doing XYZ. I think some people forget how daunting it can be to take on a share when you’ve only ever ridden in riding schools (or recently anyway - not sure about your history! It’s hard just merrily going for a hack or deciding what you do in the school when you’ve never had to do it before.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Please don’t feel too pressured into anything, or that you “should” be feeling or doing XYZ. I think some people forget how daunting it can be to take on a share when you’ve only ever ridden in riding schools (or recently anyway - not sure about your history! It’s hard just merrily going for a hack or deciding what you do in the school when you’ve never had to do it before.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I suppose I don't have anything to compare it to and (as usual for me) set myself really high expectations. The horse's owner seems quite happy and understanding about where I am with things. This is a first share from riding school and it shows ha!

Sheep

Visit site
Oh my goodness Wheels that is scary - hope you are OK. Even the thought of it - eek!

Dressage went OK yesterday, 65ish in the prelim and 61 in the novice. It was the hardest novice we’ve done so far (novice 30 I think it was) and given I hadn’t even attempted a walk to canter before Thursday, I was delighted at his efforts (he seems to be a quick learner).

No placings but a good day out. He is feeling more and more consistent and feedback was good. Although we nearly face planted in the novice. Oops
C31F0795-4A0A-4B07-9C7E-F2E94C0DE32E.jpeg
Just tripped, managed to recover within a few strides though ?

BE62C86A-518E-4123-9DD5-6E7C769E92D1.jpegB12959B5-24D3-4F6E-922A-73946F251F97.jpeg767AD3C9-4536-4D27-B20F-436075606A2C.jpegBFF704FF-956F-4BC2-BC8E-A0BFA20ECC16.jpeg22BB2941-E691-4693-8640-77FC67E7C2BE.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Well recovered Sheep. Wheels, look after yourself - it's scary how easy these things happen.
Just fyi, as far as I know for novice tests a few steps of trot is acceptable in the walk to canter, they arent expecting a full direct transition at that level. Sounds and looks like you coped fine though