Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Please can you tell me if this is a legal combination:

Towing vehicle: 2001 Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD manual.
Trailer: Bateson Derby.
Horse: 1 x 500kg.

1 - What licence they hold - B or BE

I think it's a B (passed test in 1998)

2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle

If this is the kerb weight, than it is 1635kg

3 - GVW of the towing vehicle

2230kg

4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle

2500kg

5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres

Sorry, I do not have this info (I havent brought trailer yet)

6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer "

675kg

I got the above info about this model of Cherokee from Autotrader, so Im not sure how accurate they are.

Thanks very much.

ROG

Visit site
Please can you tell me if this is a legal combination:

Towing vehicle: 2001 Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD manual.
Trailer: Bateson Derby.
Horse: 1 x 500kg.

1 - What licence they hold - B (passed test in 1998)
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle 1635kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle 2230kg
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle 2500kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer 675kg
THIS MODEL?
KERB 1635
GVW 2230
Towing 2500
BATESON DERBY TRAILER
UNLADEN 675
MAM 1700

That trailer or any other trailer needs to be downplated (by contacting manufacturer) to a maximum MAM of 1270 kgs (2230+1270=3500)

That means the Derby trailer will take a max load/horse of 595 kgs (1270-675=595)

Downplating a trailer to 1270 will make it legal for B licence towing

MissMistletoe

Visit site
THIS MODEL?
KERB 1635
GVW 2230
Towing 2500
BATESON DERBY TRAILER
UNLADEN 675
MAM 1700

That trailer or any other trailer needs to be downplated (by contacting manufacturer) to a maximum MAM of 1270 kgs (2230+1270=3500)

That means the Derby trailer will take a max load/horse of 595 kgs (1270-675=595)

Downplating a trailer to 1270 will make it legal for B licence towing

That's really helpfull, thankyou.

Yes, that's the correct Jeep and the trailer youve highlighted.

So, if the above combo was driven by my partner (B and E), but with an extra horse of 400kg on top of the 500kg horse.
Would that be legal?.
Just thinking of plan two :)

Thanks for your time.

ROG

Visit site
That's really helpfull, thankyou.

Yes, that's the correct Jeep and the trailer youve highlighted.

So, if the above combo was driven by my partner (B and E), but with an extra horse of 400kg on top of the 500kg horse.
Would that be legal?.
Just thinking of plan two :)

Thanks for your time.
You would need to leave the trailer MAM as it is at 1700 because it is pointless downplating for B+E

You can then have a load/horses of 1025 kgs

You can drive it under B+E provisional rules
L plates
correct insurance - just inform insurer
Supervising driver with full B+E for 3+ years and aged over 21

you could use that set up for the B+E test - even if it was downplated but you would probably need extra side mirrors for the examiner

jennywren07

Visit site
can you tell me the "best" set up for towing a cob approx 520kg and a pony approx 280kg

i'd be started from scratch (including doing my b&e) but trying to work out which works out better for me a trailer or lorry. Any suggestions re. cars/trailer brands would be much appreciated!

ROG

Visit site
can you tell me the "best" set up for towing a cob approx 520kg and a pony approx 280kg

i'd be started from scratch (including doing my b&e) but trying to work out which works out better for me a trailer or lorry. Any suggestions re. cars/trailer brands would be much appreciated!
As much as I would like to help, this is not my area of expertise/knowledge

I can say that 2 horses will need a B+E if going for trailer

A 3.5 tonne horsebox should be fine for your situation and only needs a B licence

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Hello,

This is VERY hyperthetical I know but do you know whether my BF who has a B license (passed 1997 but after the cut off date :() could tow a single horse trailer with his 2003 Freelander??

I know it depends on weight/make of trailer etc but we don't have one (would possibly hire or look to buy in the next 6 months if the answer is yes)

Horse is 15'3 sort of middle weight type.

If so what weight single trailer would I be looking at?

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hello,

This is VERY hyperthetical I know but do you know whether my BF who has a B license (passed 1997 but after the cut off date :() could tow a single horse trailer with his 2003 Freelander??

I know it depends on weight/make of trailer etc but we don't have one (would possibly hire or look to buy in the next 6 months if the answer is yes)

Horse is 15'3 sort of middle weight type.

If so what weight single trailer would I be looking at?

Thanks
FREELANDER 1 (2001 - 2005)
Unladen/kerb = 1500
GVW = 2040
Towing = 1800
Max trailer plated MAM = 1460 kgs

Any of these (others may be available) three examples downplated if necessary by contacting the manufacturer (free or little cost) to a maximum of 1460 kgs MAM will suffice for a horse 650+ kgs
BATESON LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
CHEVAL LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
IFOR LIGHT HORSE TRAILER

Unlikely when hiring that the trailer will be a low enough MAM for B licence towing

bobingtonsmyth

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I've been offered the loan of a trailer to cart around some gear for my other half for the next week. I'm bamboozled with the whole MAM plate issue and the fact that 50% of people tell me it's not an issue with my set up and the other 50% saying it is.

Following your required stats:

1. B+E
2. 1200kg
3. 1790kg
4. 1200kg
5. 3500kg
6. 775kg

Thankfully, what I plan to load on the trailer isn't too heavy, around 300kg. So takes me to around 1075kg which is about 10% inside the towing capacity as marked in my cars handbook. BUT the MAM plate on the trailer states 3500kg and a lot of people (inc the Father in Law) are saying that as this is well over my cars Gross weight I'd be running illegally and I need to get it deplated, which as it's not my trailer I can't really do.

Anyhow, Thanks in advance,

Bob

ROG

Visit site
Hi,

I've been offered the loan of a trailer to cart around some gear for my other half for the next week. I'm bamboozled with the whole MAM plate issue and the fact that 50% of people tell me it's not an issue with my set up and the other 50% saying it is.

Following your required stats:

1. B+E
2. 1200kg
3. 1790kg
4. 1200kg
5. 3500kg
6. 775kg

Thankfully, what I plan to load on the trailer isn't too heavy, around 300kg. So takes me to around 1075kg which is about 10% inside the towing capacity as marked in my cars handbook. BUT the MAM plate on the trailer states 3500kg and a lot of people (inc the Father in Law) are saying that as this is well over my cars Gross weight I'd be running illegally and I need to get it deplated, which as it's not my trailer I can't really do.

Anyhow, Thanks in advance,

Bob
WELCOME :)

You can load 425 kgs onto that trailer

There is no legal reason to downplate the trailer so anyone who says otherwise is wrong and challenge them to find the law that says so

There is an internet myth doing the rounds where some are saying that the trailer has the 'potential' to be loded with more than what the towing capacity allows but that is just a myth without any basis in law

I would like to know where this brand new law is where the MAM of the trailer cannot exceed the GVW of the vehicle?

Last edited:

bobingtonsmyth

New User
Visit site

You can load 425 kgs onto that trailer

There is no legal reason to downplate the trailer so anyone who says otherwise is wrong and challenge them to find the law that says so

There is an internet myth doing the rounds where some are saying that the trailer has the 'potential' to be loded with more than what the towing capacity allows but that is just a myth without any basis in law

I would like to know where this brand new law is where the MAM of the trailer cannot exceed the GVW of the vehicle?

Thanks Rog,

That's what I had figured but when the father-in-law starts to get involved it complicates matters.

Appreciate the clarification

Bob

ROG

Visit site
One of my friends has been told by driving instructor that she's not allowed to tow anything(!) til she's passed her B+E test regardless of weights... have given her link to this thread and this re categories
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547
I would like to have that instructor tell me that - can you PM me that instructors contact details/website please - I like to have a good banter!!

PS - a provisional B licence holder cannot tow anything

Last edited:

Joyous70

Visit site
Can you tell me if this set up would be legal please

I passed my test in 1987, so assuming im legal to tow without another test?

the vehicle weighs 1578kgs, has a towing braked weight of 1800kgs and i believe GVW 2185kgs

Trailer is MAM 1600kgs unladed 600kgs

I think this answers all the questions?

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Can you tell me if this set up would be legal please

I passed my test in 1987, so assuming im legal to tow without another test?

the vehicle weighs 1578kgs, has a towing braked weight of 1800kgs and i believe GVW 2185kgs

Trailer is MAM 1600kgs unladed 600kgs

I think this answers all the questions?

All OK

You could have a trailer with a 3500 MAM and as long as it and its load did not actually weigh more than 1800 kgs you would also be OK

Joyous70

Visit site
:D Brill thanks for the quick response

Im off to find me a decent estate car then with a tow capacity of 1800kgs, that was based on a mondeo estate, but needs to be an everyday car more importantly, and a tow car as second. So you have just set my mind at ease, that what i have decided on is a good alternative to a 4x4

ROG

Visit site
:D Brill thanks for the quick response

Im off to find me a decent estate car then with a tow capacity of 1800kgs, that was based on a mondeo estate, but needs to be an everyday car more importantly, and a tow car as second. So you have just set my mind at ease, that what i have decided on is a good alternative to a 4x4
If you are not going to be on surfaces which need a 4X4 then ok

jcarr85

New User
Visit site
Please help I am really struggling with this! would appreciate any advice?

1 - What licence they hold - car licence after 1997
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle - 1670kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle - 2350kg (Range rover evoque)
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle 1800kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres (unsure cheval liberate trailer) Think 1600kg??
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer 655kg

ROG

Visit site
Please help I am really struggling with this! would appreciate any advice?

1 - What licence they hold - car licence after 1997
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle - 1670kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle - 2350kg (Range rover evoque)
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle 1800kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres (unsure cheval liberate trailer) Think 1600kg??
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer 655kg

You have only a B (no B+E) licence

With a GVW of 2350 the maximum trailer MAM for B licence towing is 1150 kgs (3500-2350=1150)

You could contact Cheval and have them downplate the trailer to 1150 but that would only leave a maximum load/horse weight of 495 kgs (1150-655=495)

You really need a towing vehicle where the GVW is perhaps 2200 kgs max allowing for a trailer of 1300 kgs MAM

Are you intending to tow alone or will there be another with you who is over age 21 and has had the B+E for 3+ years?

sophiebailey

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a question about a landrover we're thinking of buying. I'm really sorry I don't have any of the specs as I'm on my phone with limited access to the net.

I only have a B license (would be looking to do my test)
The vehicle is a 2000 model landrover freelander 2L 5 door estate (think it may say something about TDi on it?)
It would be towing one horse with a weight of around 450kgs in a rice or equvilant trailer.

Would the landrover be capable of pulling this load?

Thank you, Sophie :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a question about a landrover we're thinking of buying. I'm really sorry I don't have any of the specs as I'm on my phone with limited access to the net.

I only have a B license (would be looking to do my test)
The vehicle is a 2000 model landrover freelander 2L 5 door estate (think it may say something about TDi on it?)
It would be towing one horse with a weight of around 450kgs in a rice or equvilant trailer.

Would the landrover be capable of pulling this load?

Thank you, Sophie :)
NEAREST ONE TO YOUR FREELANDER I COULD FIND
KERB 1640
GVW 2080
TOWING MAX 1800

With a B licence the maximum trailer MAM would be 1420 kgs
WHAT IS THE PLATED MAM ON YOUR RICE TRAILER?

If the plate is not on the trailer but the serial number is then you can CONTACT RICHARDSON RICE TRAILERS as they should have the details
They can also arrange for any downplating if necessary

Lets say you do have a trailer of 1400 kgs plated MAM ....
The trailer would need to weigh less than 900 kgs empty to accomodate a load/horse of up to 500 kgs

====================================================

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Many will find that passing the once in a lifetime B+E test is their best option so here is some info on that test:-

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS

sophiebailey

Visit site
Ah I'm not really sure of the weight of the trailer (we don't own one yet, would be looking to buy something once I've got the freelander and have passed my towing test).

So basically the freelander is capable of towing, but I'd need to find a trailer that weights approx 900kgs?

Would this weight change once I've passed my test and got a B+E license? And would the freelander safely tow a greater weight? This is my main concern :)

Thank you Rog !

jcarr85

New User
Visit site
Wow thanks very quick reply and useful! If I were to do my B+E licence would a single trailer then be an option or would the evoque not have that towing capacity end of?

Thanks
Jemma.

ROG

Visit site
Ah I'm not really sure of the weight of the trailer (we don't own one yet, would be looking to buy something once I've got the freelander and have passed my towing test).

So basically the freelander is capable of towing, but I'd need to find a trailer that weights approx 900kgs?

Would this weight change once I've passed my test and got a B+E license? And would the freelander safely tow a greater weight? This is my main concern :)

Thank you Rog !
With one of these single horse trailers dowplated to 1400 if necessary then you can tow on your current B licence without the need for a B+E
IFOR LIGHT HORSE TRAILER

Contact trailer manufacturer to have trailer downplated if needed (free or very little cost)

If/when you get a B+E or are driving under B+E provisional rules then you can have any MAM plated trailer up to 3500 kgs BUT can only have it actually weigh 1800 kgs when loaded

ROG

Visit site
Wow thanks very quick reply and useful! If I were to do my B+E licence would a single trailer then be an option or would the evoque not have that towing capacity end of?

Thanks
Jemma.
Same answer as post above being as they both have 1800 towing capacities when driving under B+E rules

A light double horse trailer such as the Bateson Derby can take two 500 kg horses and be well under 1800 kgs

evj

Visit site
Possibly a very daft question but could a 1.9 fiat multipa pull a single trailer with a 16.2 Friesian in it on a b licence?

ROG

Visit site
Possibly a very daft question but could a 1.9 fiat multipa pull a single trailer with a 16.2 Friesian in it on a b licence?

THIS ONE CAN but is this the same as yours?

Kerb 1370
GVW 2050
Towing 1300

You can have any light horse trailer up to 1450 kgs plated MAM .... BUT .... dues to the max towing capacity of 1300 the empty trailer and its load cannot be more than 1300 kgs

Assuming your horse and another bits ans bobs add up to 600 kgs then that leaves 700 kgs for the empty trailer

There are two which weigh 675 & 655 which come to mind ....
The Bateson would need downplating to 1450 max

So yes, it is possible to do what you ask :)