Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Excellent thread.. could you do my mum's for me?
She has a 52 plate Jeep Cherokee, trailer is an IW510, pre 1997 licence & we have 2 16'1 tbs..

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Excellent thread.. could you do my mum's for me?
She has a 52 plate Jeep Cherokee, trailer is an IW510, pre 1997 licence & we have 2 16'1 tbs..

Many thanks
I am unable to find the specs for your jeep cherokee 2002 online so perhaps you could assist by looking at the plate in the vehicle or by getting the info from the V5 form or handbook - thanks
I found the trailer specs ok

Licence = B+E
Unladen/kerb weight = ???
GVW = ???
Towing capacity = ???
Trailer MAM = 2584
Unladen = 1000

perfect11s

Visit site
Hi Rog just been chatting with a guy he was saying that you will need a O licence from next year to tow a trailer for your bussiness !!!!???? I know about the tachograph rule
but an o licence if its true its more red tape and a good reason to pack up and emigrate...
who would want to be self employed these days !!!!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog just been chatting with a guy he was saying that you will need a O licence from next year to tow a trailer for your bussiness !!!!???? I know about the tachograph rule
but an o licence if its true its more red tape and a good reason to pack up and emigrate...
who would want to be self employed these days !!!!
An O licence is already required if the total combined MAM is over 3.5 tonnes AND the trailer is over 1020 unladen - at least that seems to be the way I read the rules on that - see link below
http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=97014

perfect11s

Visit site

Mrs Pink

Visit site
Hi Rog
Just a quick one regarding the O License

Are you not exempt if it's for Private use, ie: towing a horse as the O License is only for business? (Obviously, if you're a transport business you would have to have one)

And secondly, what are your interpretations of the CPC for HGV's
Accoring to the website it looks as if you are exempt if it
"is used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use"

My Mother is convinced my sister & I will need to take it to carry on driving a Class C wagon which is for private use, but necessary as we sometimes need to take 4 horses so over weight on a 7.5 tonne

Sorry to go off topic, but just thought I'd ask
Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rogwhat are your interpretations of the CPC for HGV's
Accoring to the website it looks as if you are exempt if it
"is used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use"
Correct

The driver CPC is for those who are driving LGVs or PCVs commercially - commercially being the important word

Mrs Pink

Visit site
Thanks for both replies

And re: the CPC, that's how I understood it so that's good

Many thanks once again, certainly a big help and doing a fab job with the trailer info :)

Ginger Bear

Visit site

WelshD

Visit site
Hi, I cant find any towing weights for my 2000 plate Mercedes A class A170d I am looking to tow a small one sheep size livestock trailer

I have a b licence
my car kerbweight is 1240kg
the trailer range I am looking at is Ifor Williams P6e and P7e with an unladen weight of between 170kg and 200kg

My sheep weigh no more than 100kg and only one is to be transported at a time on journeys of no more than 30 mile round trip

If there are no towing weights listed does that mean I cannot tow with my car full stop?

I've seen them with towbars which stupidly made me not check about towing before I bought the car!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi, I cant find any towing weights for my 2000 plate Mercedes A class A170d I am looking to tow a small one sheep size livestock trailer

I have a b licence
my car kerbweight is 1240kg
the trailer range I am looking at is Ifor Williams P6e and P7e with an unladen weight of between 170kg and 200kg

My sheep weigh no more than 100kg and only one is to be transported at a time on journeys of no more than 30 mile round trip

If there are no towing weights listed does that mean I cannot tow with my car full stop?

I've seen them with towbars which stupidly made me not check about towing before I bought the car!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
This was as near as I could find http://www.parts-specs.com/mercedes-benz/a-class/A170-CDI-Classic-Fun-2000-021029

B licence
Kerb = 1050
GVW = 1500
Towing capacity = 800 braked or 400 unbraked
http://www.gttrailers.co.uk/new-trailers/ifor_williams_p6e_p7e_unbraked.html
The minimum unbraked in that list is 500 which is 100 over the car unbraked limit

ALL THIS IS PROVIDING I HAVE FOUND THE CORRECT INFO

WelshD

Visit site
Lovely thats really helpful thank you so much for looking in to that for me, when I did a search on two other sites the towing weight just had a dash in it and no numbers

It looks like I will be shopping for a lighter trailer then!

ROG

Visit site
Lovely thats really helpful thank you so much for looking in to that for me, when I did a search on two other sites the towing weight just had a dash in it and no numbers

It looks like I will be shopping for a lighter trailer then!
CAVEAT - I am still assuming I have the right figures in my last post so perhaps some more detective work is necessary before going ahead

Perhaps a BRAKED trailer with a MAM of around 1000 which weighs 400 empty might be worth looking for as that would leave you with a 400 max load

WelshD

Visit site
Thank you very much, I will do some more research then just to be sure, I guess my local Mercedes garage will be able to assist

Thank you for all of your help and also your posts and links in the rest of the thread I have had a good read through now and things are much clearer :)

TommisMum

Visit site
There is nothing different legally when towing with a SWB.
The difference is with the ride quality for the passengers - a smoother ride is given by a LWB.

catembi

Visit site
Hi there,

I picked up my trailer today...can I please ask lots of stupid questions?

Car - 3.4 litre petrol V6 Toyota Landcruiser. Automatic; selective 4WD.
Vehicle weight - 2,700 kg.
Max towing weight (according to the manual) 2,800 kg.

Trailer - old 2-horse Rice. Been extensively modernised & would therefore need weighing to be certain of exactly what it weighs.

Horse - ex-racer weighing maybe 550 to 600 kg.

Stupid questions...

For normal towing on the road, should we use 2 or 4 WD? What gear should we be in - choice of drive, '2' or 'L'. Overdrive on or off? (Think off from the manual.) 2 buttons near the gearstick labelled 'pwr' & '2nd' - press them or not...??

What speed should we aim for when towing a) empty & b) with Trev on board? The area round here is pretty flat.

I am about to have 4 new tyres on the car - bridgestones prob, but are there any that are particularly good or bad for towing?

Plus any gen tips for car maintenance if used for towing?

O/h says that the trailer was towing very 'heavy'...when we got home, I could hear faint rubbing from the trailer wheels on one side...where should I start looking to track it down?

All the above is probs v premature as it is uncertain whether Trev 'does' trailers. Distinctly possible that I will have to chip in the trailer for an endurance saddle to hack everywhere...

T x

ROG

Visit site
Car - 3.4 litre petrol V6 Toyota Landcruiser. Automatic; selective 4WD.
Vehicle weight - 2,700 kg.
Max towing weight (according to the manual) 2,800 kg.

Trailer - old 2-horse Rice. Been extensively modernised & would therefore need weighing to be certain of exactly what it weighs.

Horse - ex-racer weighing maybe 550 to 600 kg.
The only bits I can answer are re the towing rules
I expect the trailer will weigh around 1000 empty (GUESS)
It will be loaded with 600 appx
That leaves about 1100 to play with providing the plated MAM of the trailer is at least 2700

You will need a B+E licence to drive it

perfect11s

Visit site
gear would be D without the overdrive you could try the power (pwr) but that makes the gear changes later more revs , 2wd on the road unless its snowy or very muddy, as for maintanace just do your regular checks oil water and tyres and its a good idea to change the fluid in the transmission yearly and the engine oil lessen the mileage between changes so if its 12k do it every 8K if you do a lot of towing, and get the brakes and the hitch checked on the trailer anualy, remember to grease the tow ball... should be fine on the weights but make sure the tow ball is at the right hight so trailer sits level... speed is what you feel safe at without going too slow as to be a hazzard to other traficor exceeding legal limits , go for a run empty and see how you feel then try with Mr horse on....

Last edited:

JenHunt

Visit site
All help gratefully received!

1 - Licence = BE
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle = 1759kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle = (is this max loading weight? if so then 730kg)
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle = 3500kg braked
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres = am 20 miles away, so will have to double check, but please work on figure of 3500kh, as for the IFOR HB510XL.
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer = ~1100kg

carrying up to 2x 600kg horses maximum.

thank you ROG in advance! :D

ROG

Visit site
1 - Licence = BE
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle = 1759kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle = (is this max loading weight? if so then 730kg)
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle = 3500kg braked
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres = am 20 miles away, so will have to double check, but please work on figure of 3500kh, as for the IFOR HB510XL.
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer = ~1100kg

carrying up to 2x 600kg horses maximum.
2 - would be 1759+730=2489 GVW which is the max weight it can be when fully loaded

4 - GTW is the max for the vehicle and trailer added together and 3500 does not seem right - I will assume 3500 is the towing capacity

Found this for trailer so will assume the 10' model
http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/NewIforHB510XL.htm

1 - B+E
2 - 1759
3 - 2489
4 - towing capacity 3500 (3500 GTW does not seem right)
5 - 3500
6 - 1172

You can load 2328 into the trailer

You can fully load the trailer and the towing vehicle and be perfectly legal on a B+E licence

The GTW would be 5989 (3500+2489) but I will guess if a GTW is listed for your vehicle then it is likely to be 6000

JenHunt

Visit site
2 - would be 1759+730=2489 GVW which is the max weight it can be when fully loaded

4 - GTW is the max for the vehicle and trailer added together and 3500 does not seem right - I will assume 3500 is the towing capacity

Found this for trailer so will assume the 10' model
http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/NewIforHB510XL.htm

1 - B+E
2 - 1759
3 - 2489
4 - towing capacity 3500 (3500 GTW does not seem right)
5 - 3500
6 - 1172

You can load 2328 into the trailer

You can fully load the trailer and the towing vehicle and be perfectly legal on a B+E licence

The GTW would be 5989 (3500+2489) but I will guess if a GTW is listed for your vehicle then it is likely to be 6000

ahh I see... GVW is gross vehicle weight! so is GTW gross towing weight?

yup, that's the model of trailer I was meaning to compare with.

glad we're ok! always wondered with it being such a heavy trailer! thank you ROG!

lottiepony

Visit site
hey Rog,

Can you help with this question, going to take my trailer test early next year as know for a fact i can't tow legally without it! Anyway i have read that grandfather rights have been pulled so I cannot legally practice with L-plates and someone who has correct license next to me, is this right or not???? Just wondering as would like to get a bit of practice in!

thanks

ROG

Visit site
hey Rog,

Can you help with this question, going to take my trailer test early next year as know for a fact i can't tow legally without it! Anyway i have read that grandfather rights have been pulled so I cannot legally practice with L-plates and someone who has correct license next to me, is this right or not???? Just wondering as would like to get a bit of practice in!

thanks
You already have B+E provisional on the paper part of your licence so anybody with a full B+E for over 3 years can supervise you with L plates and correct insurance

You can legally train on motorways

You can tow with a B licence but certain rules must be followed
The plated MAM of the trailer must not be more than the unladen/empty/kerb weight of the car
The GVW of the car plus the plated MAM of the trailer must not add up to more than 3500
The towing capacity (actual towing weight) of the car must not be exceeded

So this is legal for B towing -
CAR -
Unladen = 1500
GVW = 2000
Towing capacity = 1700
TRAILER -
MAM = 1500
Unladen = 700

Leaves 800 for loading onto trailer - plenty for a large horse