Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

clare1691

Visit site
Hi,
Hope you can help me? My ability to find the information you need is severely limited, mainly as I don't actually have a trailer yet, this is a theoretical question!

I have a B license.
Nissan X-trail Columbia Jan 2007
I'm looking into Cheval Liberte trailers as they seem to be the lightest, so I assume most likely to be legal!

If you need any more info I will try to help!

Many thanks:confused:

ROG

Visit site
Hi,
Hope you can help me? My ability to find the information you need is severely limited, mainly as I don't actually have a trailer yet, this is a theoretical question!

I have a B license.
Nissan X-trail Columbia Jan 2007
I'm looking into Cheval Liberte trailers as they seem to be the lightest, so I assume most likely to be legal!

If you need any more info I will try to help!

Many thanks:confused:
No listings for a COLUMBIA anywhere but there is for COMFORT
http://www.getcarspecs.com/nissan/2007-nissan-x-trail-22-dci-comfort
Perhaps you could supply more info from the V5 registered keepers form please

Using the specs from the above link which is probably not your model ....
and for the trailer http://www.tallyhotrailers.co.uk/chavelliberte100.html but not the 1600 MAM model

Unladen = 1600
GVW = 2050
Towing capacity = 2000

Unladen = 655
MAM = 1400
Load capacity for the trailer = 745

LEGAL for a B licence

Give me more info for your vehicle and I'll give you a better answer :)

clare1691

Visit site
Thanks so much, will get more vehicle info for you when I get home! Guess from the sums that anything other than a single horse trailer would be over the weight limits?
Thanks again for your help!:)

ROG

Visit site
Thanks so much, will get more vehicle info for you when I get home! Guess from the sums that anything other than a single horse trailer would be over the weight limits?
You would need two very light horses 2 X 450-ish along with a vehicle and trailer that had these specs -
VEHICLE - if there is one with these specs !!
Unladen = 1600
GVW = 1900
Towing capacity of at least 1600

TRAILER - perhaps the third cheval I mentioned
Unladen = 655
MAM = 1600
Loading capacity = 945

clare1691

Visit site
Thanks Rog, would only be for one horse, but he's about 650kg's. I'm always a little suspicious that the single trailers look like they'd topple over, but I may just have to get over it!:)

ROG

Visit site
Thanks Rog, would only be for one horse, but he's about 650kg's. I'm always a little suspicious that the single trailers look like they'd topple over, but I may just have to get over it!:)
I'm sure there must be some on here who tow single horse trailers so perhaps a new thread in the NEW LOUNGE forum asking about them might be an idea

I would still like the exact model of Columbia you have just so I can be certain of the figures I used

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Hi Rog, would be very grateful for your opinon/advice on the following...

Current car:
Unladen 1496 kgs
Towing capacity 1200kgs (braked)
Fully loaded weight - can't find this anywhere!
Trailer unloaded 675kgs (Bateson Derby lightweight)
MAM of trailer 1740 kgs
Category B licence.

Having read a lot about this, I'm pretty sure the above isn't legal, but I only want to tow one 550kgs horse at a time. Can I get the trailer downplated to 1400 to make this work?

If not is there a 4x4 out there that I could do this with so I don't need to take the test? Would rather keep my car if I can as love it lots (Scooby Impreza WRX!!) but can imagine it's not ideal for towing lol!

Thank you very much for your help.
Nikki.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Sorry Rog, just realised I answered my own question with providing the figures. My car can't tow more than 1200 kgs so even if I get trailer downplated Scooby's a no go! :(

So instead I guess my question is, do you know of a vehicle out there that I could legally use with my B licence to tow the Bateson Derby with one horse if I get it downplated, and how does downplating work? Heard the idea on here and have latched onto it like a life raft!!!

Thank you.

ROG

Visit site
Current car:
Unladen 1496 kgs
Towing capacity 1200kgs (braked)
Fully loaded weight - can't find this anywhere!
Trailer unloaded 675kgs (Bateson Derby lightweight)
MAM of trailer 1740 kgs
Category B licence.
Would need to know the GVW of the car to give an answer because it is the GVW of the car plus the MAM of the trailer which needs to be no more than 3500
The fact that any downplating would still be more than the towing capacity makes no difference as that is not a rule/law

As you have realised, 1200 minus 675 = 525 which is less than the 550 of the horse so it is a no go

GingerWhinger

New User
Visit site
Hi Rog,
I need your help!! :)

I am currently looking in to taking either my LGV or towing test (didnt pass my test until 1999)

Thinking financially as I already own a 4x4 then a trailer would be more economical.

Having clicked around on here for a while it seems it is possible to tow a trailer without taking an additional test - Obviously there are specifics to stick to etc and I doubt I fall in to that bracket!

I intend to tow with my 2003 Mitsubishi L200 Warrior
I would guesstimate my horse at around 680kg

I do not yet own a trailer and do not have yet have a brand/make/model in mind. Would love an Ifor Williams but it will all boil down to ££££

I assume I WILL need to take an additional test

I am completely baffled by it all!! :confused:

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,
I need your help!! :)

I am currently looking in to taking either my LGV or towing test (didnt pass my test until 1999)

Thinking financially as I already own a 4x4 then a trailer would be more economical.

Having clicked around on here for a while it seems it is possible to tow a trailer without taking an additional test - Obviously there are specifics to stick to etc and I doubt I fall in to that bracket!

I intend to tow with my 2003 Mitsubishi L200 Warrior
I would guesstimate my horse at around 680kg

I do not yet own a trailer and do not have yet have a brand/make/model in mind. Would love an Ifor Williams but it will all boil down to ££££

I assume I WILL need to take an additional test

I am completely baffled by it all!! :confused:
If this is your model -
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/l200/specifications.aspx?Variant=OX4
Then you cannot tow more than 750 kgs MAM on a B licence

passing a B+E test will last for life
passing a LGV test will last for only as long as you have a current medical

B+E cost all in about £650
LGV cost all in approx £1500 for C plus another £1000 for C+E
Assuming first time passes

ROG

Visit site
BAFFLED ?

To tow with a B licence you need to say NO to the following -

Is the plated MAM of the trailer more than the UNLADEN/KERB/EMPTY weight of the towing vehicle?

Does the GVW of the towing vehicle plus the plated MAM of the trailer add up to more than 3500 kgs?

Is the ACTUAL weight of the empty trailer and its load more than the listed towing capacity?

GingerWhinger

New User
Visit site
See, put like that it is perfectly simple!!

Thank you ever so much, I was confusing myself further with every page I clicked on!

So towing test it is - Eeeeek!!!!

Thank you again. GW :D:D

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a 14.1hh pony and 505 Ifor, can I tow with a Mondeo 2.0ltr? I havent got my B+E but am looking at getting it.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,
MONDEO 2.0
Need more info on which model it is BUT I CAN GUESS at rough figures
Unladen = 1400
GVW = 2000
Towing capacity = 1800
THESE ARE GUESSES

IFOR HB505
unladen = 905
MAM = 2340

Horse weight is probably 500 kgs max

ILLEGAL on a B licence
Reasons -
2000 + 2340 = 4340 which is more than 3500
2340 is greater than 1400

Legal on a B+E licence as long as the trailer is not loaded with more than 895 (895 + 905 = 1800)

patchandloopy

Visit site
MONDEO 2.0
Need more info on which model it is BUT I CAN GUESS at rough figures
Unladen = 1400
GVW = 2000
Towing capacity = 1800
THESE ARE GUESSES

IFOR HB505
unladen = 905
MAM = 2340

Horse weight is probably 500 kgs max

ILLEGAL on a B licence
Reasons -
2000 + 2340 = 4340 which is more than 3500
2340 is greater than 1400

Legal on a B+E licence as long as the trailer is not loaded with more than 895 (895 + 905 = 1800)

Thank you ROG very very helpful, I am wanting to buy a new car and need something suitable to communt with and use for the horse :) I wouldnt take anything else with me so I have plenty of weight for one horse/pony.

ROG

Visit site
Thank you ROG very very helpful, I am wanting to buy a new car and need something suitable to communt with and use for the horse :) I wouldnt take anything else with me so I have plenty of weight for one horse/pony.

your biggest problem is the trailer - the MAM and unladen weights are too high on a HB505 for B licence towing

You may find that you will need to get a trailer and have it downplated by the manufacturer

I'll give you some MADE UP examples that are not too far from what is available out there which will be legal for B licence towing and a 500 kg horse

CAR
Unladen 1500
GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1700

TRAILER
Unladen 800
MAM 1500 OR any above that figure which you get downplated to 1500
Max load 700

2000 CAR GVW + 1500 TRAILER MAM = 3500 so legal for B towing
1500 TRAILER MAM is not more than 1500 CAR Unladen so legal for B towing
Fully laden TRAILER at 1500 is well within 1700 capacity

A suggestion - to keep costs down if still intending to tow with a B licence and not passing B+E test then do a trailer swap with someone who has B+E and wants a larger trailer than they have already got - IDEA?

Last edited:

patchandloopy

Visit site
your biggest problem is the trailer - the MAM and unladen weights are too high on a HB505 for B licence towing

You may find that you will need to get a trailer and have it downplated by the manufacturer

I'll give you some MADE UP examples that are not too far from what is available out there which will be legal for B licence towing and a 500 kg horse

CAR
Unladen 1500
GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1700

TRAILER
Unladen 800
MAM 1500 OR any above that figure which you get downplated to 1500
Max load 700

2000 CAR GVW + 1500 TRAILER MAM = 3500 so legal for B towing
1500 TRAILER MAM is not more than 1500 CAR Unladen so legal for B towing
Fully laden TRAILER at 1500 is well within 1700 capacity

A suggestion - to keep costs down if still intending to tow with a B licence and not passing B+E test then do a trailer swap with someone who has B+E and wants a larger trailer than they have already got - IDEA?

Ok, I dont have my B+E but was planning on getting it. So it would be easier - from what I gather your saying is to get a lighter trailer as I am only going to be taking 1 out with me as a result of circumstance and car tow weight.

So if the Ifor 403 single horsebox has a gross of 1600kg and unladen of 767kg, I would need that downplated to 1500kg to be on a B license? But if I got my B+E I would be ok without downplated even on a 505, I would just have a very heavy trailer I didnt need?

Sorry for the questions trying to work it all out!

ROG

Visit site
Ok, I dont have my B+E but was planning on getting it. So it would be easier - from what I gather your saying is to get a lighter trailer as I am only going to be taking 1 out with me as a result of circumstance and car tow weight.

So if the Ifor 403 single horsebox has a gross of 1600kg and unladen of 767kg, I would need that downplated to 1500kg to be on a B license? But if I got my B+E I would be ok without downplated even on a 505, I would just have a very heavy trailer I didnt need?

Sorry for the questions trying to work it all out!
You got it :)

Even with a B+E licence, the only other thing with the HB505 would be the unladen weight of 905 because if the towing vehicle had a low towing capacity of say 1300 then only a load of just under 400 could be put in the trailer

kiagirl

Visit site
ROG please can you help me. I have a B licence.

I have a Kia with a GVW of 2030 and a kerb weight min of 1525 and max 1636. towing capacity is 1900. My YO has a richardson supreme that has an unladen weight of 1100 and a towing capacity of 1600. I would be towing one 400kg horse. Am I illegal?

Thank you

ROG

Visit site
ROG please can you help me. I have a B licence.

I have a Kia with a GVW of 2030 and a kerb weight min of 1525 and max 1636. towing capacity is 1900. My YO has a richardson supreme that has an unladen weight of 1100 and a towing capacity of 1600. I would be towing one 400kg horse. Am I illegal?

Thank you
Got the car ok but the trailer has me foxed !!

B licence
Car Unladen = 1636
Car GVW = 2030
Car towing capacity = 1900
Trailer unladen = 1100
Trailer MAM = ????

I have a feeling that the 1600 you quoted is the payload and not the MAM

The SUPREME ULTRA has: -
Gross Weight - 2700KG
Unladen Weight - 1100KG
Pay Load - 1600KG
IS THIS YOUR MODEL?

What is the plated MAM of your trailer?

I can inform you of this: -
Any trailer you tow must not be plated at more than 1470 because 1470+2030=3500 which is the max total for a B licence

If the trailer is the one I listed then you could have it downplated by the manufacturer BUT that would only leave a loading capacity of 370 (1470-1100=370) and your horse alone is 400

My advice would be to get a trailer which weighs around 800 unladen/empty (plenty of those about) and make sure it is plated at no more than 1470 so it leaves a load capacity of 670 and it will then conform to all the rules for B licence towing

Last edited:

.Redmerl

Visit site
I have a question pls. I have B test but our single trailer isn't plated at all (it was made by a friend for us) I'm guessing I can't tow it with B licence if its not played with a gross weight?

Also the vehicles that have a low gross weight Seam to be big hatchs, Volvo, Mondeo ect, do they tow ok? Just think towing and imaging a big 4x4

ROG

Visit site
I have a question pls. I have B test but our single trailer isn't plated at all (it was made by a friend for us) I'm guessing I can't tow it with B licence if its not played with a gross weight?

Also the vehicles that have a low gross weight Seam to be big hatchs, Volvo, Mondeo ect, do they tow ok? Just think towing and imaging a big 4x4

The trailer will have a load rating on the tyres so how many tyres and what is the load rating on them?

The total of the load ratings on the tyres will be the trailer MAM

.Redmerl

Visit site
I see thanks you. Trailer isn't at home at the moment but it's got 4 wheels, and it's been on a weigh bridge at some point and weighs at most 800kg, horse is 550kg at most. So tyres would need load weight totalling 1400kg as car has gw of 2050kg and Kerb of 1500kg. Is this right? Would I be legal on B licence? Although I'm not sure if I would get tyres with a load Wight of 350kg each. If not we would buy a single ifor plated at 1400kg

ROG

Visit site
I see thanks you. Trailer isn't at home at the moment but it's got 4 wheels, and it's been on a weigh bridge at some point and weighs at most 800kg, horse is 550kg at most. So tyres would need load weight totalling 1400kg as car has gw of 2050kg and Kerb of 1500kg. Is this right? Would I be legal on B licence? Although I'm not sure if I would get tyres with a load Wight of 350kg each. If not we would buy a single ifor plated at 1400kg
Chances are that all 4 tyres will have the same load rating so that will be 4 X the load rating which will be the trailer MAM
TYRE LOAD RATINGS CHART
Lets say that the load rating is 76 (400kgs) on all 4 tyres
That would be a MAM of 1600kgs

CAR
GVW = 2050
KERB = 1500
Towing capacity = NEED TO KNOW THIS but guessing at over 1500

TRAILER
MAM or TOTAL TYRE LOAD RATING (TTLR) = ?????
UNLADEN = 800

To tow on a B licence with your vehicle the MAM or TOTAL OF THE TYRE LOAD RATINGS must not be more than 1450
1450+2050=3500 max allowed for a B licence

As the trailer MAM/TTLR must not be more than 1450 it will be below the 1500 kerb weight so that will be ok

.Redmerl

Visit site
Thanks v much, cat can tow 1800kg. So just need to check tyres on trailer.
Do you have any experience with towing with a Mondeo type car? Do they manage ok? The actual weight it would be towing is about 1300kg.