Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
I do intend to do my test but I have parental units with grandfather rights so can always use their 'supervision' and L plates if worst comes to worst BUT looking at buying a Skoda Octavia as a little birdy told me I may be able to tow on a B licence...

Weight and Capacities
Gross vehicle weight 2018 kg
Max loading weight 638 kg
Max towing weight - braked 2000 kg
Max towing weight - unbraked 720 kg
Unladen weight 1380 kg

Am I right in thinking I can have a trailer up to 1500kg with this as my towing vehicle? Can you give me an example with a standard IW 510? Or is there a lighter trailer I could go for that would work?

In an ideal world it'll be 2 small ponies (one 14hh and one 15hh) but if on my B licence I can only take one I can live with that and drag folks along if both are going out?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I can't get my head around all this stuff!

What weight are the ponies ?

You can have a trailer plated at 1482 kg max (1482+2018=3500) on a B licence

when I know what weight is of ponies I can then advise further

ROG

Visit site
One more point - the trailer MAM plate cannot be changed at will as it needs to go through the manufacturer to be changed either up or down so this means if you have it plated down for B towing with one horse it cannot suddenly be changed up to acomodate two horses

What I am hoping is that yours are so light that you can tow both on a B licence

mizzbiz

Visit site
Yes each, they're both cobs, 15hh is a lot more lightweight than the 14hh though. Maybe I need to get the tape out! The 15hh is what I'd want to take out if I was only able to take one.

ROG

Visit site
Yes each, they're both cobs, 15hh is a lot more lightweight than the 14hh though. Maybe I need to get the tape out! The 15hh is what I'd want to take out if I was only able to take one.

Even if they weighed 450 each then that is a total of 900 so impossible to tow both together on a B licence as no trailer is light enough

You have a choice to make

either get a down plated trailer to take one for B towing or get a two horse trailer and drive under B+E provisional or full licence rules

ROG

Visit site
This is the trailer I recommend for B towing = http://www.batesontrailers.com/product/horse-trailers/derby-lightweight-horse-pony/ especially as it can be down plated for a tenner
that trailer weighs 675 empty and can be down plated from 1700 to 1475 by contacting the manufacturer leaving 800 kg max for the trailer load

Not sure on this but it could be that it can take two if up plated in the future - call Bateson to find out if your two will fit

mizzbiz

Visit site
I thought that would be the case! If I drive under the provisional rules until I take my test that's fine.

Back to the skoda octavia then, what spec do I need from a trailer to be legal (and safe!)? When you say the "trailer plating" is that referring to the "capacity"?

EG

Deauville trailer spec

Gross weight 2300
Unladen weight 860
Capacity 1440

mizzbiz

Visit site
This is the trailer I recommend for B towing = http://www.batesontrailers.com/product/horse-trailers/derby-lightweight-horse-pony/ especially as it can be down plated for a tenner
that trailer weighs 675 empty and can be down plated from 1700 to 1475 by contacting the manufacturer leaving 800 kg max for the trailer load

Not sure on this but it could be that it can take two if up plated in the future - call Bateson to find out if your two will fit

Ah this makes sense! Not sure pony would appreciate rear unloading though! Are there any makes that are lighter weight with a front unload? Or if i just stick with the provisional B+E rules for now I can go with any right? Eg. the Deaville?

ROG

Visit site
Ah this makes sense! Not sure pony would appreciate rear unloading though! Are there any makes that are lighter weight with a front unload? Or if i just stick with the provisional B+E rules for now I can go with any right? Eg. the Deaville?

Under B+E rules you just need to make sure that the empty weight of the trailer plus the weight of what you put in the trailer does not total more than either the towing capacity of the vehicle (2000) or the plated MAM (????) of the trailer

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

ROG

Visit site
Under B+E rules you just need to make sure that the empty weight of the trailer plus the weight of what you put in the trailer does not total more than either the towing capacity of the vehicle (2000) or the plated MAM (????) of the trailer

I should have added - whichever is the lower figure

If towing capacity is 2000 and trailer MAM 2340 then you go by 2000
If towing capacity is 2000 and trailer MAM 1700 then you go by 1700

ROG

Visit site
SKODA OCTAVIA
Weight and Capacities
Gross vehicle weight 2018 kg
Max loading weight 638 kg
Max towing weight - braked 2000 kg
Max towing weight - unbraked 720 kg
Unladen weight 1380 kg

DEAUVILLE TRAILER
Gross weight 2300
Unladen weight 860
Capacity 1440

B licence towing rules
Trailer would need to be down plated by manufacturer from 2300 to 1482 kg max
That would leave a max of 622 kg for the trailer load/horse (1482-860=622)

B+E licence towing rules
No need to down plate trailer
Max load/horse for trailer would be 1140 kg (2000-860=1140)

Echo24

Visit site
Hopefully I have done this right, apologies if not as still getting my head around it all!

1 - B licence
2 - Peugeot 5008 Unladen weight 1430kg
3 - GVW 2250kg
4 - Max towing weight - unbraked 750kg
5 - Chevre Liberte GT1 single trailer Plated MAM 1400kg
6 - Unladen weight 655kg

Thanks!

ROG

Visit site
Hopefully I have done this right, apologies if not as still getting my head around it all!

1 - B licence
2 - Peugeot 5008 Unladen weight 1430kg
3 - GVW 2250kg
4 - Max towing weight - unbraked 750kg
5 - Chevre Liberte GT1 single trailer Plated MAM 1400kg
6 - Unladen weight 655kg

Thanks!
1400+2250=3650 which is 150 too high for B towing max of 3500

You need to contact cheval and arrange to down plate the trailer to 1250 which would then leave you with a max trailer load of 595 kg

You do not give the max braked towing weight for the car but it should be at least 1250 - needs to be checked to be certain

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for that! Sorry it is 750kg unbraked and 1200kg braked, would that still be okay?

Down plate trailer to 1250 but with only a 1200 towing capacity it reduces the trailer load to a max of 545 kg - providing the empty weight of the trailer is correct - sometimes its advisable to weighbridge it empty to be certain

What sort of terrain will you be towing on?

Echo24

Visit site
Thanks, pony is only 400kg but obviously need to be careful. I'll probably be mostly on motorways and country lanes with not too many fields and off roading!

Echo24

Visit site
Hi ROG. Sorry just seen another chev trailer with an unladen weight of 720kg and max gross weight of 1600kg, am I still able to downplate and tow within the limits?

googol

Visit site
Are there any reliable websites for checking the braked towing capacity ?
We are looking for something to tow minimum 2500kg, looks like the only suitable vehicles are -
Land Rover discovery/Range Rover
Shogun
Older sorentos
X5
Nissan x trail

Anything else suitable that anyone tows that sort of weight with?

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG. Sorry just seen another chev trailer with an unladen weight of 720kg and max gross weight of 1600kg, am I still able to downplate and tow within the limits?

You can do the same as the other trailer but will have less weight load availability in trailer as the empty weight is higher

ROG

Visit site
Are there any reliable websites for checking the braked towing capacity ?
We are looking for something to tow minimum 2500kg, looks like the only suitable vehicles are -
Land Rover discovery/Range Rover
Shogun
Older sorentos
X5
Nissan x trail

Anything else suitable that anyone tows that sort of weight with?

http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_vehicles.htm
In the box that says - All vehicles capable of towing - put 2500 in it

Echo24

Visit site
Oh no, just seen the latest brochure for the peugeot 5008 and the max braked towing weight is only 900kg which means I can only tow a pony that weighs 245kg! Back to looking for that elusive 3.5ton horsebox! :(

Echo24

Visit site
It's the first one, the 1.6 HDi Access 5dr. It's a work car and a colleague tows a caravan but her licence is pre 1997.