Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Suffolkangel

Visit site
Hi Rog, sorry if this has been asked before. I am looking to take my trailer test, but in the mean time would I be able to tow on a B licence with the following combination: Octavia 4x4 estate, with a Sinclair trailer? Trailer has an unladen weight of 750kg & max loaded of 2000kg. I only want to travel 1pony weighing 400kg until I pass my test.

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, sorry if this has been asked before. I am looking to take my trailer test, but in the mean time would I be able to tow on a B licence with the following combination: Octavia 4x4 estate, with a Sinclair trailer? Trailer has an unladen weight of 750kg & max loaded of 2000kg. I only want to travel 1 pony weighing 400kg until I pass my test.

I need the GVW for the vehicle which is the top figure of four on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame and is on the V5 keepers form under - max permissible weight

As the GVW of the Octavia is likely to be about 2000 and the trailer is plated at 2000 then its going to be too much as your limit is 3500 max total plated weights

You would need to down plate the trailer via contact with the manufacturer and I am not certain if Sinclair are still trading

Thee simple answer is therefore NO at this moment but this may be an option =
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

avthechav

Visit site
Hi ROG, I have just finished a CAT C driving course with Phil Brown's LGV driver training in Droitwich and they were completely fab. When I asked you, you said that you had not had experience or heard of them but just wanted to give you a recommendation for them in case anyone wanted to know good places in Worcestershire :).

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, I have just finished a CAT C driving course with Phil Brown's LGV driver training in Droitwich and they were completely fab. When I asked you, you said that you had not had experience or heard of them but just wanted to give you a recommendation for them in case anyone wanted to know good places in Worcestershire :).
I will quote this on the HHO LGV CLINIC

Echo24

Visit site
Sorry me again ROG, would I be able to tow with the Peugeot 5008 if I took the B+E test as I won't need to down plate the trailer?

Echo24

Visit site
May have cracked it now with OH's car, if I have got my numbers right:

1 - B licence
2 - Unladen weight 1320kg
3 - GVW 1795kg
4 - Max towing weight - braked 1300kg unbraked 500kg
5 - Chevre Liberte GT1 single trailer Plated MAM 1400kg
6 - Unladen weight 655kg

ROG

Visit site
May have cracked it now with OH's car, if I have got my numbers right:

1 - B licence
2 - Unladen weight 1320kg
3 - GVW 1795kg
4 - Max towing weight - braked 1300kg unbraked 500kg
5 - Chevre Liberte GT1 single trailer Plated MAM 1400kg
6 - Unladen weight 655kg
Max load for trailer = 645kg
No need to down plate

You are ok legally on a B licence

Echo24

Visit site
Yay! Thank you! A place locally is getting the trailer in stock in a couple of weeks so will persuade OH to let me use his car :) I will leave you alone now!

ROG

Visit site
Yay! Thank you! A place locally is getting the trailer in stock in a couple of weeks so will persuade OH to let me use his car :) I will leave you alone now!
Glad we got you sorted

Towing on normal road surfaces should not be an issue but beware if going off good surfaces or maybe up very steep hills to start with as its only a basic tow vehicle and not a 4x4 etc

rising_promise

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I'm sure I know the answer to this but just to be sure....

I have my B + E so not worried about that side of things.

Sorento weighs 2000kg
GVW 2700kg
3000kg max towing capacity
Equitrek weighs 1100kg
MAM of 2500kg

This means I can load the Equitrek with 1400kg right?

ROG

Visit site
hi rog,

i'm sure i know the answer to this but just to be sure....

I have my b + e so not worried about that side of things.

Sorento weighs 2000kg
gvw 2700kg
3000kg max towing capacity
equitrek weighs 1100kg
mam of 2500kg

this means i can load the equitrek with 1400kg right?

correct

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Is this permissible under a B cat license??

1 - B licence
2 - Unladen weight 1430kg
3 - GVW 1969kg
4 - Max towing weight - braked 1300kg unbraked 750kg
5 - HB403 single trailer down Plated MAM to 1400kg from 1600kg
6 - Unladen weight 767kg

ROG

Visit site
Is this permissible under a B cat license??

1 - B licence
2 - Unladen weight 1430kg
3 - GVW 1969kg
4 - Max towing weight - braked 1300kg unbraked 750kg
5 - HB403 single trailer down Plated MAM to 1400kg from 1600kg
6 - Unladen weight 767kg
Sorry a bit late answering as I was sunbathing !!

Perfectly legal for B licence (1969+1400=3369) so under the 3500 allowed

Max you can load in trailer = 533kg (1300-767=533)

ROG

Visit site
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a trailer and collect it on Saturday. I have read up on the laws but can't seem to make 100% sense of them and obviously want to be legal!

So, I passed my driving test after 1997 so will be required to hold my B+E license in order to drive it alone. My question relates to driving with someone who holds a license pre 1997 -

If I am in the car with someone who passed their test in 1990 (but hasn't since done a separate test for towing) can I drive legally with L plates displayed? On a separate note, if the answer to the above question is yes, can I drive on the motorway?

I aim to complete the B+E test later on in the year but would like to have some experience initially so I don't have to book as many days training as it is ridiculously priced!

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did search the forum but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks in advance.
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...aws-Urgent-advice-please!#ifMeTtrlrx0KdwoK.99

In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

You might still be able to tow one horse on your B licence but it depends on what vehicle and trailer you have

If you wish to explore this further then please post your exact model of vehicle and your trailer

A1dexter

New User
Visit site

You might still be able to tow one horse on your B licence but it depends on what vehicle and trailer you have

If you wish to explore this further then please post your exact model of vehicle and your trailer

Thank you so much.

I have specified to my insurer (of the car) that I will be towing a trailer and they said it wont affect the premium, and they know my age, date I passed my test etc so I guess that's enough?

To confirm, can I drive on the motorway with L plates with someone with a pre 97 license?

With regard to my vehicle, I think it will be too heavy but it is a Mitsubishi l200 and the trailer is an Ifor Williams 506.

Thanks again for your help!

ROG

Visit site
Thank you so much.

I have specified to my insurer (of the car) that I will be towing a trailer and they said it wont affect the premium, and they know my age, date I passed my test etc so I guess that's enough?

To confirm, can I drive on the motorway with L plates with someone with a pre 97 license?

With regard to my vehicle, I think it will be too heavy but it is a Mitsubishi l200 and the trailer is an Ifor Williams 506.

Thanks again for your help!

That combination will be under B+E rules

I can confirm that is ok

Buckskinspots

Visit site
I have a 54 plate nissan x trail 2.2 dci and an older trailer possibly bahill 800kg but no plate on. I have ordered a blank one so can get it down plated if needs be. I only have a b license as passed in 2002. Can I legally tow 1 550kg horse with this setup? What weight should down plate the trailer to? Thanks

Last edited:

Buckskinspots

Visit site
Think I've worked it out, the gvw is 2050kg (will check tomorrow) so if I down plate the trailer to 1400kg I should be within the 3.5t limit also under the kerb weight of car which I think is 1500kg Will go to a weighbridge to check we are within the limit too. Is the 2t tow capacity relevant under this law too? Argh so confusing!!

ROG

Visit site
I have a 54 plate nissan x trail 2.2 dci and an older trailer possibly bahill 800kg but no plate on. I have ordered a blank one so can get it down plated if needs be. I only have a b license as passed in 2002. Can I legally tow 1 550kg horse with this setup? What weight should down plate the trailer to? Thanks

You cannot get a new plate for a Bayhill as thet went out of business years ago

You need to total up all the tyre load ratings and that will be the MAM

No way can you tow that trailer on a B licence

Get a trailer where the manufacturer is still trading so you can down plate it

What is the GVW of the Xtrail - look on V5 keepers form under max permissible weight or the top figure of the 4 listed on the weight plate hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame

Lets say as an example that the GVW is 2200 so leaves a max MAM of 1300 for a trailer

For a 550 horse you would need a trailer which weighed no more than 750 empty

Bateson derby weight 675 empty and can be down plated from 1700 to 1300 for a tenner