Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Pixie88

Visit site
I know that 4 should be max towing capacity = 1800

You have the rest of your figures and what you need to do spot on = well impressed !!!!

I guess the trailer is an HB401 or 403 so to down plate it you will need to Phone IFOR WILLIAMS on 01490 412527 - ask for customer care
IW will then ask you to remove the current plate and send it to them with about £50
IW then send you the new plate to fix on
You need access to a drill and a pop rivet gun

Fantastic - The headache I have from this! I have been going round in circles trying to work it all out!
Yes, I am looking at a IW 401/403 as I know IW trailers I did consider the Chevel Liberte but we shall see.

Thank you so much! I will keep all of these details for when I start looking.

Floxie

Visit site
Ello, is this party still going? I don't have my trailer licence yet but am looking at vehicles with that in mind, hoping to pull a 16hh (550?) horse in an Ifor 510 (or rental trailers - obviously no idea what the figures are there!). I'm window shopping cars and have a Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDi in mind - I've seen people on HHO talking about using it to tow - so just trying to work out for definite if it's safe for one horse (and whether it would ever be for 2, just in case!). So the numbers are just all I could find online - hopefully correct - sorry about the missing bits!

1 - What licence - intend on getting BE
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle - 1129kg (Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDi)
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle can't seem to find this sorry!
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle - 2000kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer - 2700kg I think
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer - 1000kg (I think - Ifor 510)

Any advice much appreciated!

ROG

Visit site
Ello, is this party still going? I don't have my trailer licence yet but am looking at vehicles with that in mind, hoping to pull a 16hh (550?) horse in an Ifor 510 (or rental trailers - obviously no idea what the figures are there!). I'm window shopping cars and have a Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDi in mind - I've seen people on HHO talking about using it to tow - so just trying to work out for definite if it's safe for one horse (and whether it would ever be for 2, just in case!). So the numbers are just all I could find online - hopefully correct - sorry about the missing bits!

1 - What licence - intend on getting BE
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle - 1129kg (Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDi)
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle can't seem to find this sorry!
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle - 2000kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer - 2700kg I think
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer - 1000kg (I think - Ifor 510)

Any advice much appreciated!
Using B+E rules ......
You have a 2000 towing capacity with a trailer weighing 1000 which leaves 1000 for the trailer load/horse(s)

no need to bother with vehicle GVW for B+E towing - just needed towing capacity, trailer MAM and trailer empty weight which you have supplied

ROG

Visit site
Thank you. That's out my mind at ease. Just need to pass the b & e test now x
Until you do this may be an option .....

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

ROG

Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice regarding towing!!!

I have recently bought a Ifor Williams 401r with a MAM of 1600kg and a unladen weight of 770kg...

I'm looking to buy a new car that I can tow this with legally! I've been looking at the Audi q3. 1450kg keeb weight and 2050kg vehicle weight. Could I tow legally with this if i downplate the trailer to 1400kg? I'm only wanting to tow a 550kg horse :)

Any help appreciated before I ho totally grey! ��
I do really think you need my help so lets start with what relevant info we need ...

Do you have B or B+E driving licence ?
What is the towing capacity of the Audi ?

Willow1306

Visit site
Hoping this is the right place to ask...

I'm looking to upgrade to a 4x4 and take my trailer test in order to be able to transport my 16.2hh WB. I would be hiring/borrowing trailers, so weights etc unknown.

The vehicle would be my every day car for commuting (26 mile round trip).

Currently looking at Kia Sorento but unsure of the differences in spec. Is any one model recommended for towing capacity and overall economy to the others? Budget isn't huge. I understand that I'll have to compromise somewhere.

Other suggestions for economical and reliable options most welcome.

ROG

Visit site
Hoping this is the right place to ask...

I'm looking to upgrade to a 4x4 and take my trailer test in order to be able to transport my 16.2hh WB. I would be hiring/borrowing trailers, so weights etc unknown.

The vehicle would be my every day car for commuting (26 mile round trip).

Currently looking at Kia Sorento but unsure of the differences in spec. Is any one model recommended for towing capacity and overall economy to the others? Budget isn't huge. I understand that I'll have to compromise somewhere.

Other suggestions for economical and reliable options most welcome.

Recommendations on vehicle types are not my thing but perhaps others may be able to help

There is a link in my signature which may help

ROG

Visit site
Ok thanks that makes sense now :)

In your case the car is a minimum of 1575 empty so is going to heavier with you and what not in it with your trailer and its load at 1555 which means you should always have the vehicle weighing heavier than the trailer - its always recommended that be the case for better handling

cg91

Visit site
I need help, I've a 2012 audi a3 sportback, looking at trailers around 750kg for a single horse and I passed my test in 2011. I don't even know how to find out the weight of my car :-/ it's a 1.6

ROG

Visit site
I need help, I've a 2012 audi a3 sportback, looking at trailers around 750kg for a single horse and I passed my test in 2011. I don't even know how to find out the weight of my car :-/ it's a 1.6

I need the GVW of your vehicle which is can be found in two places -
The top of the four figures on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame
or the max permissible mass figure on the V5 keepers document

ROG

Visit site
Looking at that list it seems reasonable for me to have a guess at what the max GVW of your Audi might be so I am going to use a figure of 2000 kg as the GVW for this example .....

GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1500 kg - that is listed on the V5 keepers doc or using the weight plate on the car it is usually the top figure of four deducted from the second figure

You have a 3500 kg max total plated limit on a B licence so 3500 minus 2000 = 1500 which means the max a trailer can be plated at is 1500

Looking at your other posts is seems you have a horse weighing 600 and have been looking at a IW HB401/3 trailer which is probably still plated at its original 1600 and is about 780 empty

2000 + 1600 = 3600 which is 100 more than allowed for B towing so the solution is to down plate the trailer from 1600 to 1500 = easy to do as you simply call IW (the trailer maker) and send them the original 1600 plate along with about £50 - they send you new 1500 plate to fix on the trailer - you need access to a drill and a pop rivet gun

With a 1500 plate on the trailer and an empty weight of 780 you can load 720 into the trailer so easy enough for a 600 horse

There are quite a few other trailers which will suit your needs but most will need down plating by the makers of the trailer

Does that help you to understand how this works for B towing ?

cg91

Visit site
Looking at that list it seems reasonable for me to have a guess at what the max GVW of your Audi might be so I am going to use a figure of 2000 kg as the GVW for this example .....

GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1500 kg - that is listed on the V5 keepers doc or using the weight plate on the car it is usually the top figure of four deducted from the second figure

You have a 3500 kg max total plated limit on a B licence so 3500 minus 2000 = 1500 which means the max a trailer can be plated at is 1500

Looking at your other posts is seems you have a horse weighing 600 and have been looking at a IW HB401/3 trailer which is probably still plated at its original 1600 and is about 780 empty

2000 + 1600 = 3600 which is 100 more than allowed for B towing so the solution is to down plate the trailer from 1600 to 1500 = easy to do as you simply call IW (the trailer maker) and send them the original 1600 plate along with about £50 - they send you new 1500 plate to fix on the trailer - you need access to a drill and a pop rivet gun

With a 1500 plate on the trailer and an empty weight of 780 you can load 720 into the trailer so easy enough for a 600 horse

There are quite a few other trailers which will suit your needs but most will need down plating by the makers of the trailer

Does that help you to understand how this works for B towing ?

Thankyou for that. I never knew you could down plate a trailer. I have gotten my head around it a bit more yes. It's just the fact I want a light weight trailer anyway as I don't fancy paying for a 4x4 so if I can get the weight down ok then great.