Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
Do they EVER just look at the plated MAM or do they have to weigh you? Is kind of what I meant.

They will look at it but to determine if its overloaded they need to weigh it

Simply looking at a plate will not inform them of anything regarding weights unless its being driven under B rules in which case they will add up the plated weights to see if they exceed 3500 kg

Perhaps you can be more specific if you have something else on your mind regarding weights please ?

If you could give an example then that may help ...........

Last edited:

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Well, I'm back to towing, since I sold my lorry. Back in the day I had a no nonsense Daihatsu, the latterly a disastrous Sorento (which I'd have again if the engine could be guaranteed). Was looking at lesser towing ones as have been suggested on here, but looking like back to a Daihatsu, if I can find one. And I can gear myself to a less refined driving experience. It will be specifically for that.

I was just curious about the actual weights as opposed to the plated one on the trailer. I guess they can't prosecute if actual and licence are in order.

alexomahony

Visit site
Hi ROG,

I've been towing for quite a while now on my B license (checked with all relevant parties and it has been legal with my combination). I now, however, have a new horse and plan to take them both together in the future (with a new, bigger car!) which means taking my B+E test.

I'm trying to save costs as much as possible (to purchase big car!) and hoping you could answer this for me - can I just do my test without tuition? ( I plan to take lessons, but I just don't want to pay a fortune for a 2/3 days course when a few hours will probably suffice) But I'm hoping, to book my test seperatly, and then book 2/3 hours lessons to brush up on my skills and banish my bad habits!

Thanks! x

ROG

Visit site
can I just do my test without tuition? ( I plan to take lessons, but I just don't want to pay a fortune for a 2/3 days course when a few hours will probably suffice) But I'm hoping, to book my test seperatly, and then book 2/3 hours lessons to brush up on my skills and banish my bad habits!

Thanks! x
You can do it as you wish

You can have no lessons and use your own vehicle and trailer for the test which you can book yourself providing the set up conforms to DVSA standards

popsdosh

Visit site
ROG something was mentioned to me the other day which I wondered if had ever been asked on here?

It was to do with B+E entitlement for driver with grandfather entitlements. I was informed that drivers who may have been disqualified since 1997 wont still hold B+E entitlement on their licence as the licence is issued as a new one if this is the case I wonder if people in this situation are aware they need to take the test for a trailer or are just merrily going along thinking they still have their pre disqualification entitlements. I am only referring to those drivers who never needed to take the test originally!

ROG

Visit site
ROG something was mentioned to me the other day which I wondered if had ever been asked on here?

It was to do with B+E entitlement for driver with grandfather entitlements. I was informed that drivers who may have been disqualified since 1997 wont still hold B+E entitlement on their licence as the licence is issued as a new one if this is the case I wonder if people in this situation are aware they need to take the test for a trailer or are just merrily going along thinking they still have their pre disqualification entitlements. I am only referring to those drivers who never needed to take the test originally!
It is my understanding that all previous entitlements are return after disqualification unless a court or medical says otherwise

Matt Crisp

New User
Visit site
ROG. Can a Non E holder with full C tow a 500kg braked trailer, max 2500kg laden, unladen on (1) normal carriageways, and (2) a motorway, not for hire or reward? Tow vehicle Land Cruiser Amazon 3200kg.
Would that situation change if accompanied by a full age related C/E and the car and trailer carried L plates?

Can a non E tow a 500kg /2500kg braked unit laden at 2500kg with Amazon at 3200kg with L plates when accompanied by C/E age related holder on normal carriageways? Can they tow on a motorway also?

TIA Matt

ROG

Visit site
ROG. Can a Non E holder with full C tow a 500kg braked trailer, max 2500kg laden, unladen on (1) normal carriageways, and (2) a motorway, not for hire or reward? Tow vehicle Land Cruiser Amazon 3200kg.
Would that situation change if accompanied by a full age related C/E and the car and trailer carried L plates?

Can a non E tow a 500kg /2500kg braked unit laden at 2500kg with Amazon at 3200kg with L plates when accompanied by C/E age related holder on normal carriageways? Can they tow on a motorway also?

TIA Matt

With a B or C licence the max that can be towed is 750 kg max plated MAM behind C and 750kg max plated MAM behind a B with a GVW of 3200kg

On L plates a B+E set up can be supervised on any type of road and a C+E set up the same providing the supervising driver has held that category for at least 3 years and is over age 21

js1006

Visit site
Hi ROG,

I was hoping you could please confirm whether this set up was legal before I go buying a trailer.

1 - B licence
2 - 1290kg (awd Subaru legacy lx)
3 - 1870kg
4 - 3470kg
5 - 1400, downplated to 1290kg (cheval liberte single)
6 - 720kg

Horse weighs 540kg, giving me 30kg for a haynet and nothing else in the trailer, but 580kg in the car for me, fuel tack etc.?

Many thanks!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

I was hoping you could please confirm whether this set up was legal before I go buying a trailer.

1 - B licence
2 - 1290kg (awd Subaru legacy lx)
3 - 1870kg
4 - 3470kg
5 - 1400, downplated to 1290kg (cheval liberte single)
6 - 720kg

Horse weighs 540kg, giving me 30kg for a haynet and nothing else in the trailer, but 580kg in the car for me, fuel tack etc.?

Many thanks!
LEGAL and all your figures are spot on

You can tow a trailer plated at 1630 with a vehicle GVW of 1870

QueenDee_

Visit site
Hi ROG. I'm assuming I'd need to take my B+E test to legally drive the following but just thought i'd check!

B license passed after 2013,
Mitshubishi Shogun (Gross weight 3030?)
And the trailer is a Fautras Promax.

If the above is, as I suspect, requiring a B+E license, what changes would have to be made? (i.e. a lighter car?)

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG. I'm assuming I'd need to take my B+E test to legally drive the following but just thought i'd check!

B license passed after 2013,
Mitshubishi Shogun (Gross weight 3030?)
And the trailer is a Fautras Promax.

If the above is, as I suspect, requiring a B+E license, what changes would have to be made? (i.e. a lighter car?)

Max trailer on a B licence where a vehicle has a GVW of 2750 or more = 750kg plated MAM

Shonah

New User
Visit site
Hi

Wondered if you could help me!

I've got a B license
My car is 1700 unladen
It's gvw is 2350 I think? (It's an evoque but struggled to find weights online for it!)
It can tow 1800
Trailer would be 2700 I think?
Unladen trailer weight is 1000 ifor hb511
With a 700kg horse

Thanks for your help :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi

Wondered if you could help me!

I've got a B license
My car is 1700 unladen
It's gvw is 2350 I think? (It's an evoque but struggled to find weights online for it!)
It can tow 1800
Trailer would be 2700 I think?
Unladen trailer weight is 1000 ifor hb511
With a 700kg horse

Thanks for your help :)
With a GVW of 2350 the maximum trailer MAM on a B licence is 1150 so 2700 is well over the limit
If you down plated the trailer from 2700 to 1150 then that would only leave 150 for the load and you need 700

GVW can easily be found -
On a weight plate usually hidden in a door frame or under the bonnet - top figure of the 4 listed
V5 keepers doc - listed as max permissible weight

Solution is to get a towing vehicle with a lower GVW and get a light weight trailer

You can drive your current set up under B+E learner rules - see post number 2000 of this thread

alainax

Visit site
What is the difference between the what can be towed on a 2013+ license, and a 1997+ license? They both seem really poorly worded!

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

1. small trailers weighing no more than 750kg (this seems easy enough, but no MAM, so its actual weight? )
2. a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) (is this the MAM of both car and trailer?)

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

1. drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (make sense)
2. tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg(whats the difference from above?)

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
What is the difference between the what can be towed on a 2013+ license, and a 1997+ license? They both seem really poorly worded!

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

1. small trailers weighing no more than 750kg (this seems easy enough, but no MAM, so its actual weight? )
2. a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) (is this the MAM of both car and trailer?)

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

1. drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (make sense)
2. tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg(whats the difference from above?)
The 1997 to 2012 rules for B towing should not be there as they were revoked and changed to the 2013 rules

The only difference which applies to so few drivers is that the max trailer MAM for B+E is unrestricted before 2013 but has a limit of 3500 for post 2013
Trailers with MAMs over 3500 need air brakes or similar which it applies to so few

ROG

Visit site
Hi there

Im looking to get my first trailer in the next year or so. I will be getting a single trailer probably an Ifor 403, I will also be swapping my car for a 4X4.

I have heard that if your box and car is light enough etc you can stay within the limit? There was lost of things about MAM's and other words i didn't fully understand ha ha! So id love someone to decode this language for me if possible?

Im not saying that i will not take my test but I am just wondering :)

My horse weighs about 560kg and i know you must take into account tack, water, people etc to the overall weight.
The gross weight for the Ifor 4013 is 1600kg and unladen it is 767kg.

Taking into account all this, what cars would be suitable to tow and legally stay within the limit? (If this is possible)

Thank you so much!
MAM GVW and MTPLM (for caravans) all mean the same thing = the maximum legal weight something can be when fully loaded

Licences go on these fully loaded weights so if the vehicle, trailer or caravan is empty it makes no difference to the licence needed

For towing on a B licence -
The GVW of the vehicle added to the trailer MAM must not exceed a total of 3500kg
The actual weight of the empty trailer and its load must not exceed the towing capacity of the vehicle

You have a horse 560 + 780ish for the trailer so that totals 1340 which means the vehicle towing capacity must be at least that

The trailer at the moment is 1600 MAM so you can tow that with a car which has a GVW of 1900

You can contact IW and have their trailer down plated to say 1400 which then allows for a car GVW of 2100

GVW can be found on the keepers V5 doc under max permissible weight or is the top of the four figures on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame on the vehicle
GVW for most vehicles can also be found on the internet if you know the exact model of vehicle