Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

cg91

Visit site
I need the GVW of your vehicle which is can be found in two places -
The top of the four figures on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame
or the max permissible mass figure on the V5 keepers document

I took a photo of something in the bonnet it's the only thing I could think it would be, rest is in German lol

ROG

Visit site
Can't figure out if I can send photo so it shows:

E1.2001/116.0217
WAUZZZ8P9CA136609
1880KG
3350KG
1- 1035KG
2- 1005KG
SUPER HELPFUL = TA

1 = max front axle weight
2 = max rear axle weight

1880 is the GVW
3350 is the GTW

GTW minus GVW = 1470 = max towing capacity (if the towing capacity is stated as 1500 and the full 1500 is used then the vehicle can only be loaded to a max of 1850 so as not to exceed the GTW of 3350)

Max plated trailer weight on a B licence will be 1620 which means you will not have to down plate a HB 401/3 as it is plated at 1600 (1880 + 1600 = 3480 so within the 3500 max)

The max you can put into the trailer if the towing capacity is listed at 1470 is 690 as the trailer is 780 empty (1470 - 780 = 690)

cg91

Visit site
SUPER HELPFUL = TA

1 = max front axle weight
2 = max rear axle weight

1880 is the GVW
3350 is the GTW

GTW minus GVW = 1470 = max towing capacity (if the towing capacity is stated as 1500 and the full 1500 is used then the vehicle can only be loaded to a max of 1850 so as not to exceed the GTW of 3350)

Max plated trailer weight on a B licence will be 1620 which means you will not have to down plate a HB 401/3 as it is plated at 1600 (1880 + 1600 = 3480 so within the 3500 max)

The max you can put into the trailer if the towing capacity is listed at 1470 is 690 as the trailer is 780 empty (1470 - 780 = 690)

That's really helpful, thanks very much for your help :) even looking at the dvla site didn't give me the answers I needed. Thankyou!

ROG

Visit site
That's really helpful, thanks very much for your help :) even looking at the dvla site didn't give me the answers I needed. Thankyou!
DVLA/GOV sites are useless on this issue as they do not explain it well or they miss off important words like MAM !

Hayjay

Visit site
I'm thinking of purchasing a Honda CR-V 2.2 I-ctdi EX - 2009 (09 plate) to use for towing an IW 506 (920kg) with mainly a 12.2 pony (approx 250kg?), occasionally a 16hh ISH (600kg?) and the option to tow both together if ever necessary. The tow capacity of the car is showing as 2000kg although I keep hearing/reading that it is not powerful enough to tow much. I can't find out what the total train weight is. Can any advise please. I passed my test in 1987 so licence is suitable. Thanks for reading.

ROG

Visit site
I'm thinking of purchasing a Honda CR-V 2.2 I-ctdi EX - 2009 (09 plate) to use for towing an IW 506 (920kg) with mainly a 12.2 pony (approx 250kg?), occasionally a 16hh ISH (600kg?) and the option to tow both together if ever necessary. The tow capacity of the car is showing as 2000kg although I keep hearing/reading that it is not powerful enough to tow much. I can't find out what the total train weight is. Can any advise please. I passed my test in 1987 so licence is suitable. Thanks for reading.

Towing capacity 2000 with 920+250+600=roughly 1800 so 200 under that 2000 capacity

With a fully loaded car up to its GVW limit will mean its all legal on a B+E licence

Hayjay

Visit site
Towing capacity 2000 with 920+250+600=roughly 1800 so 200 under that 2000 capacity

With a fully loaded car up to its GVW limit will mean its all legal on a B+E licence

Thanks ROG. I thought it would be ok. My mechanic said it wouldn't tow much and I've found some posts saying the same on Google searches. I think the chassis was changed after 2004 though, hence the confusion. Where is the best place to confirm its towing capacity? The log book?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG. I thought it would be ok. My mechanic said it wouldn't tow much and I've found some posts saying the same on Google searches. I think the chassis was changed after 2004 though, hence the confusion. Where is the best place to confirm its towing capacity? The log book?
The V5 doc is one place and the other is the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame then deduct top of the four figures from the second

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
B and E, not sure if we will even be towing with it, but Sante Fe has just spectacularly failed its MOT and been written off, so need family transport. Feel myself it might be too borderline for my needs but we are looking at a towcar in the spring as don't do much in winter with the ponies so can wait-but live in rural area so need car fast for everything else! it is not that car, it is an estate. i found that page but there was no towing info on the model?

ROG

Visit site
Don't think it is the same model? It is an estate-can I assume it will be the same? Two ponies about 700-800kg in total plus Ifor 505 Classic?
Likely to be the same as the saloon but you could always ask wherever you are getting it from what the top two weights are on the weight plate then deduct the smaller from the larger to get the towing capacity

505 is about 900 I think so adding 800 = 1700 which an 1800 towing capacity should cope with

VikkiL

Visit site
Hi ROG

Was wondering if I could run my combination by you? I am pretty sure its legal as used this forum to base it on, however took trailer to be serviced this morning and the man was absolutely adament I (and any other trailer combinations for that matter) were illegal - something to do with train weight? can you put my mind at rest...

Anyways I tow a Cheval Liberte 1003 single with a Ford C max.

C-max according to V5:
Mass in service (kerb weight?)- 1465kg
Max permissable mass- 1995kg
Train weight 3495 kg

Trailer has two plates one it- believe it must have been downplated at some stage. One sates MAM is 1200kg, the other 1400kg.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

Was wondering if I could run my combination by you? I am pretty sure its legal as used this forum to base it on, however took trailer to be serviced this morning and the man was absolutely adament I (and any other trailer combinations for that matter) were illegal - something to do with train weight? can you put my mind at rest...

Anyways I tow a Cheval Liberte 1003 single with a Ford C max.

C-max according to V5:
Mass in service (kerb weight?)- 1465kg
Max permissable mass- 1995kg
Train weight 3495 kg

Trailer has two plates one it- believe it must have been downplated at some stage. One sates MAM is 1200kg, the other 1400kg.

Thanks!
I ASSUME you are towing on a B licence ??????????

plated at 1400 the trailer will be legal as 1995 GVW(MAM) + 1400 MAM = 3395 so under the B towing 3500 limit

If car was loaded to an actual weight of 1995 and the trailer to an actual weight of 1400 then that total of 3395 is still 100 under the GTW of 3495

I know from the figures your car has a max towing capacity of 1500 (3495-1995=1500)

Whoever told you that rubbish where you had it serviced needs to seriously beef up on the rules !

ROG

Visit site
As it has TWO weight plates, I would place a call to Cheval with the serial number and check what its current weight is legally

Cheval Liberté (UK) Ltd
Trewyn Fawr
Carrog Road
Corwen
Denbighshire
LL21 9RW

Tel: 01490 736 323

VikkiL

Visit site
Yes I am on a B.

Thanks for that ROG. I thought that was the case but panicked as he was so sure that towing on a B was a "misconception" on trailer over 750 kg.

Will give then a call thanks, just assumed because it had two I could chose which plate was 'inforce' depending on circs. But guess it makes sense only 1 can be. Only carry a pont though so either is fine.

Thanks again.

As it has TWO weight plates, I would place a call to Cheval with the serial number and check what its current weight is legally

Cheval Liberté (UK) Ltd
Trewyn Fawr
Carrog Road
Corwen
Denbighshire
LL21 9RW

Tel: 01490 736 323

alainax

Visit site
Looking for advice on big trailers, if you would be so kind as to help me out :)

I am possibly looking at selling my lorry in favour of an Equi-trek. At the heavy end of the scale there is the star treka, ill post some numbers
3.5t gross
1900kg unladen
600kg horse
300kg pony ( I don't have a pony :p but might one day!)
100kg stuff.
So say 3000kg as an upward guestimate.

Jeep grand Cherokee 3l. Towing capacity 3.5t. Vehicle weight - 2210kg.

B+E license. Is this set up with the trailer being heavier than the car unsafe? If so I can look at their less heavy models :)

ROG

Visit site
Looking for advice on big trailers, if you would be so kind as to help me out :)

I am possibly looking at selling my lorry in favour of an Equi-trek. At the heavy end of the scale there is the star treka, ill post some numbers
3.5t gross
1900kg unladen
600kg horse
300kg pony ( I don't have a pony :p but might one day!)
100kg stuff.
So say 3000kg as an upward guestimate.

Jeep grand Cherokee 3l. Towing capacity 3.5t. Vehicle weight - 2210kg.

B+E license. Is this set up with the trailer being heavier than the car unsafe? If so I can look at their less heavy models :)

That vehicle has been specifically designed to tow 3500 kg safely even if only the driver is in the vehicle

In most circumstances it is not recommended for the trailer to be heavier than the vehicle but there are exceptions such as this

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The down-plating malarkey (again)

If one had done all the towing calculations on one's vehicle (not one of the 3500kg tow capacity 4x4's) and then loaded the car and trailer as per a standard (plus a few items) road trip, and then weighed the outfit and got a print out to prove the legal status, is the down-plating necessary?

Do spot checks weigh you or just go on the trailer plate and vehicle towing capacity?

I have the full towing capacity on my licence.

ROG

Visit site
The down-plating malarkey (again)

If one had done all the towing calculations on one's vehicle (not one of the 3500kg tow capacity 4x4's) and then loaded the car and trailer as per a standard (plus a few items) road trip, and then weighed the outfit and got a print out to prove the legal status, is the down-plating necessary?

Do spot checks weigh you or just go on the trailer plate and vehicle towing capacity?

I have the full towing capacity on my licence.
On a B+E licence no down plating is necessary

Apart from commercial, the only reason to down plate is for conforming to B licence towing rules

When weighing it the law looks to see if the following have been conformed to -
The GVW of the vehicle = RTA
The MAM of the trailer = RTA
The GTW of the combination = RTA
The towing capacity of the vehicle = C&U regs
If all those have been complied with then all is legal as long as the driver has the correct licence