Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply, so as long as I'm within a safe MTW i should be ok towing with the above vehicles? Im legally allowed to tow as i got my licences pre 1997.

With B+E as you have simply follow these rules - Do not go over the ....
GVW of the vehicle
Towing capacity of the vehicle
MAM of the trailer
Doing those will also keep you within the GTW

Pixie88

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a 401h mare and foal trailer. I will be getting it down plated so I can legally tow it, but I am struggling to decide on a car to tow it. Do you know any from this that will let me use the combo? I can't seem to find the gross weight of the 07 plate kia sportage, do you know it? I have also considered the Nissan x trail (although it feels huge) would either of them be legal?

I know i can use a freelander up to 05 plate. I am just wary of all the horror stories. Also I have been told the kerb weihts has to match the laden weight of the trailer but it is the gross that we use for total car + traile. Can you re confirm this?

I had it all set in my head as I was getting a freelander and knew my weights but I am doubting myself now I am looking at others.

Edit: I have a B license

Thanks!

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a 401h mare and foal trailer. I will be getting it down plated so I can legally tow it, but I am struggling to decide on a car to tow it. Do you know any from this that will let me use the combo? I can't seem to find the gross weight of the 07 plate kia sportage, do you know it? I have also considered the Nissan x trail (although it feels huge) would either of them be legal?

I know i can use a freelander up to 05 plate. I am just wary of all the horror stories. Also I have been told the kerb weihts has to match the laden weight of the trailer but it is the gross that we use for total car + traile. Can you re confirm this?

I had it all set in my head as I was getting a freelander and knew my weights but I am doubting myself now I am looking at others.

Edit: I have a B license

Thanks!
Kerb weight rule was revoked on 19/01/2013

KIA GVW = http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/kia/sportage/gross-vehicle-weight/

NISSAN XTRAIL GVW = http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/nissan/x-trail/gross-vehicle-weight/

Select your exact model for the GVW from those links then

PS - cannot find a 401h mare + foal trailer - who makes that ?

Pixie88

Visit site
Sorry hb 401 that was a typo. It's the ifor one.
Ah, fantastic. So I could also get a suzuki vitara. You have just made my day!

I will check the make and model. I couldn't find that part of the page when I tried it was just showing the 2016 models.

ROG

Visit site
Sorry hb 401 that was a typo. It's the ifor one.
Ah, fantastic. So I could also get a suzuki vitara. You have just made my day!

I will check the make and model. I couldn't find that part of the page when I tried it was just showing the 2016 models.

HB401 is a single horse trailer and are usually plated at 1600 MAM being just under 800 empty so I need to know the weight you need to put into the trailer ?

Once I have that weight we can work backwards to find the max GVW for a vehicle

SuperCat007

Visit site
Hi, another question from me... I had my first towing lesson and the instructor said that the MAM of the trailer CANNOT exceed the towing capacity of the car, irrespective of the load you're carrying (since the 2013 law changes). Meaning (due to the type of car I intend to get) I still have to down-plate. However, he referenced some flow charts and guidelines which I can't find anywhere. I've done numerous Google searches and came up with nothing.

Apparently, due to the utter confusion over towing laws, if the police pull you over they'll check the plate on the trailer, the MTC of the car and if the trailer exceeds this they'll try to fine you, irrespective of the unladen weight or what you're towing in the trailer. (This could be area specific, I don't know, but apparently VOSA have given police the authority to do this, even though it doesn't seem to conform with the actual law about towing...). Any advice, links to sites, etc etc anyone?

ROG

Visit site
Hi, another question from me... I had my first towing lesson and the instructor said that the MAM of the trailer CANNOT exceed the towing capacity of the car, irrespective of the load you're carrying (since the 2013 law changes). Meaning (due to the type of car I intend to get) I still have to down-plate. However, he referenced some flow charts and guidelines which I can't find anywhere. I've done numerous Google searches and came up with nothing.

Apparently, due to the utter confusion over towing laws, if the police pull you over they'll check the plate on the trailer, the MTC of the car and if the trailer exceeds this they'll try to fine you, irrespective of the unladen weight or what you're towing in the trailer. (This could be area specific, I don't know, but apparently VOSA have given police the authority to do this, even though it doesn't seem to conform with the actual law about towing...). Any advice, links to sites, etc etc anyone?

TOTAL RUBBISH

If anyone says that to you ask them to prove it by quoting what law under the RTA that comes ...... they will not be able to because there is no such laws

I would really like you to post a link to your instructors site please

This is 100% legal - car towing capacity 2000 towing a trailer plated at 3500 being 1000 empty and loaded with 1000
If that was illegal then as the weight laws refer to all vehicles even LGVs then LGV trailers would need up and down plating many times a week!

Laws on towing are simple - do not exceed ....
GVW of vehicle
MAM of trailer
Towing capacity of vehicle if one is listed
GTW of the combination

How some cannot get their heads around that is beyond me .............

SuperCat007

Visit site
Thanks, so I haven't missed something vital here?

Knowing the police (especially around here), what he said may well be true that they'll go on the max towing capacity and plated weight of the trailer. But as long as I am still within the law I am more than happy to argue it, I've even had an argument with a police officer around here about the speed limit on a road, he said it was 40 mph, it's clearly signposted as 30 when you pull onto the road!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks, so I haven't missed something vital here?

Knowing the police (especially around here), what he said may well be true that they'll go on the max towing capacity and plated weight of the trailer. But as long as I am still within the law I am more than happy to argue it,
No need to agrue with the police - just ask what specific weight law has been broken and for them to cite that on the charge - they will not be able to do that as no law has been broken

If they try to say - not in accordance with the licence - then ask which specific part of non compliance - they must state which part

I would still like to know who the B+E school is who spouts this stuff ?????????????

Kateestar

New User
Visit site
Hi is this thread still active? I'm having a nightmare with information on buying a car to tow my trailer. It's 1500kg box trailer with almost everything in (its got 2000kg on the max permitted on the frame plate). Max we load it to is around 1600kg. Single axle.

I wanted to buy something like a Ford Ranger, single cab, seen a couple at dealer but got no straight answer on towing limits. I'm not sure if this is a suitable vehicle but we need lots of space to put our gear in the back (more than our jeep cherokee currently gives us) without compromising hugely on running costs / reliability & not costing the earth. Not sure any suggestions on this?

This is the information I've found online... For a Ford Ranger, 2008, single cab, 2x4. 2.5 engine.
Gross Payload (Kg) 1190
Gross Vehicle Weight (Kg) 2800
Kerb Weight (Kg) 1610
Towing Limit (Kg) 1600

Though I have found other contradicting information on other websites these figures seem a best match to the vehicle itself, I'm not sure how best to be 100% certain though. Will the fact it says towing limit of 1600, if we are constatly towing at around this level affect the car over time? Should we be looking at something bigger?

Currently going for me B+E in the next few weeks too to help stop any problems with weight limits.

Last question, our trailer has a brake on the tow bar, like a hand brake, but doesnt have electric brakes that i know of. We bought it new 12 months ago, the manufacturer gave us lots of information and assured us its legal to drive safely for its weight. After reading its 750kg unbraked limit are we towing illegally? Can the manufacturer tell us / sell us the trailer (for a huge price tag) if it's not legal to drive (it was 1100kg when it left the workshop)

Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated, and apologies for asking stupid questions.

ROG

Visit site
Hi is this thread still active? I'm having a nightmare with information on buying a car to tow my trailer. It's 1500kg box trailer with almost everything in (its got 2000kg on the max permitted on the frame plate). Max we load it to is around 1600kg. Single axle.

I wanted to buy something like a Ford Ranger, single cab, seen a couple at dealer but got no straight answer on towing limits. I'm not sure if this is a suitable vehicle but we need lots of space to put our gear in the back (more than our jeep cherokee currently gives us) without compromising hugely on running costs / reliability & not costing the earth. Not sure any suggestions on this?

This is the information I've found online... For a Ford Ranger, 2008, single cab, 2x4. 2.5 engine.
Gross Payload (Kg) 1190
Gross Vehicle Weight (Kg) 2800
Kerb Weight (Kg) 1610
Towing Limit (Kg) 1600

Though I have found other contradicting information on other websites these figures seem a best match to the vehicle itself, I'm not sure how best to be 100% certain though. Will the fact it says towing limit of 1600, if we are constatly towing at around this level affect the car over time? Should we be looking at something bigger?

Currently going for me B+E in the next few weeks too to help stop any problems with weight limits.

Last question, our trailer has a brake on the tow bar, like a hand brake, but doesnt have electric brakes that i know of. We bought it new 12 months ago, the manufacturer gave us lots of information and assured us its legal to drive safely for its weight. After reading its 750kg unbraked limit are we towing illegally? Can the manufacturer tell us / sell us the trailer (for a huge price tag) if it's not legal to drive (it was 1100kg when it left the workshop)

Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated, and apologies for asking stupid questions.
Very active thread with Email alerts when a member posts on it

Any trailer over 750 kg must by law have over-run brakes so your trailer plated at 2000 will have such brakes

Trailers over 3500 plated MAM weight must have electric or air brakes not those under 3500

If the vehicle says it has a 1600 max tow limit then towing a trailer including the load at 1600 is what that limit has been designed to do

At the moment on your B licence the total of 2800 + 2000 = 4800 is well over the 3500 limit but is fine for B+E when you get that

Ssac1

New User
Visit site
thanks for taking the trouble to put it together.. and Rog for making the generous offer to help people , now we just need to get admin's opinion and see if they will do a sticky.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
No need to agrue with the police - just ask what specific weight law has been broken and for them to cite that on the charge - they will not be able to do that as no law has been broken

If they try to say - not in accordance with the licence - then ask which specific part of non compliance - they must state which part

I would still like to know who the B+E school is who spouts this stuff ?????????????

Lots of them do ROG! Thank goodness we can run things by you. How have you not got a spot in H&H yet?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
thanks for taking the trouble to put it together.. and Rog for making the generous offer to help people , now we just need to get admin's opinion and see if they will do a sticky.

Got that covered... this thread has been a sticky for nearly 4 and a half years! Thanks ROG!

ROG

Visit site
Hello all!

Sorry I know this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything. Basically I've been told by the northern Ireland cheval dealer that I can tow legally with my B1 on my driver's licence as long as it stays weight wise under 3.5kg. So far I've rang cheval England, they told me to ring the DVLA which I did, the girl on the phone said 1st that I couldn't then when I told her my set up she said I could but the ring a MOT centre when i asked about down plating which I then did, they told me they would ring back but they never did. At this point my eyes are ready to fall out! 😖

Can anyone help shed some light please?

I passed my test in June 2012.

My set up is a vw Passat 2.0 sport diesel turbo. I think from memory its 1.7kg and can pull 1.8kg.
The box I'm looking at getting is the new cheval touring at 850kg.
My horse is 15hh 440kg.

Don't want a single box as I will be getting a bigger car at some point and doing my test so I can tow 2 horses.

Nobody so far I've talked to in Northen Ireland has any idea about down plating, or it seems towing legally!!

Thank you for reading ☺
Rose
Which Passat is your from this list ? = http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/volkswagen/passat/gross-vehicle-weight/ as I need to know the GVW

The Cheval touring trailer here = http://www.jswhorseboxes.co.uk/tran...lers/cheval-liberte-touring-horse-trailer.htm is 830 empty but has a MAM of 2000 and that 2000 is the number needed for licencing

ASSUMING your Passat has a GVW of 2000 and the trailer has a MAM of 2000 then that totals 4000 so is 500 over the B (not B1) towing limit of 3500

LICENCES go on the PLATED MAX WEIGHTS and not the actual weights

SOLUTION = if those are the figures then simply contact Cheval who are the only people who can down plate the trailer from 2000 to 1500 leaving a max load for the trailer of 670 (1500-830=670) so plenty for your 440 horse

Down plating procedure is usually this -
You contact trailer manufacturer with the trailer details
you remove current plate
you send plate plus fee to manufacturer
manufacturer sends you new plate
you fit new plate
you need access to drill and pop rivet gun

Rose&Arnie

New User
Visit site
Thank you for the help! Really appreciate it!

My car is the older version of the Volkswagen PASSAT DIESEL SALOON 2.0 TDI S 4dr (106g/km, diesel, manual) so it's 2,020 gross weight?

I rang cheval and the guy didn't know anything about down plating, should I ring back and see if I can find out more?

Rose&Arnie

New User
Visit site
Which Passat is your from this list ? = http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/volkswagen/passat/gross-vehicle-weight/ as I need to know the GVW

The Cheval touring trailer here = http://www.jswhorseboxes.co.uk/tran...lers/cheval-liberte-touring-horse-trailer.htm is 830 empty but has a MAM of 2000 and that 2000 is the number needed for licencing

ASSUMING your Passat has a GVW of 2000 and the trailer has a MAM of 2000 then that totals 4000 so is 500 over the B (not B1) towing limit of 3500

LICENCES go on the PLATED MAX WEIGHTS and not the actual weights

SOLUTION = if those are the figures then simply contact Cheval who are the only people who can down plate the trailer from 2000 to 1500 leaving a max load for the trailer of 670 (1500-830=670) so plenty for your 440 horse

Down plating procedure is usually this -
You contact trailer manufacturer with the trailer details
you remove current plate
you send plate plus fee to manufacturer
manufacturer sends you new plate
you fit new plate
you need access to drill and pop rivet gun

My car is the older version of the Volkswagen PASSAT DIESEL SALOON 2.0 TDI S 4dr (106g/km, diesel, manual) so it's 2,020 gross weight?

I rang cheval and the guy didn't know anything about down plating, should I ring back and see if I can find out more?

Thanks

ROG

Visit site

Thanks
Get another guy on the phone because I know they do know about down plating as they do it quite often
I just tried to call them but nobody is answering = http://www.chevaltrailers.co.uk/contact.html so perhaps you can try emailing them to ask what their down plating procedure is

At 2020 GVW you need the trailer down plating to 1450 so that will leave a max trailer load of 620

Rose&Arnie

New User
Visit site
Get another guy on the phone because I know they do know about down plating as they do it quite often
I just tried to call them but nobody is answering = http://www.chevaltrailers.co.uk/contact.html so perhaps you can try emailing them to ask what their down plating procedure is

At 2020 GVW you need the trailer down plating to 1450 so that will leave a max trailer load of 620

Thank you I will! Still loads left over for my wee fella which is great :)

Mike007

Visit site
Vosa ,now DVSA are only interested in the actual weight of the combination . Some FIVE YEARS ago they issued a memo to that effect. Down plating is a load of cock!

ROG

Visit site
Vosa ,now DVSA are only interested in the actual weight of the combination . Some FIVE YEARS ago they issued a memo to that effect. Down plating is a load of cock!
True because DVSA cannot deal with licence issues - the police deal with that

Often the DVSA and the police work together so if presented with this scenario .......
B licence
Vehicle GVW 2100 and weighing 2000 with 2000 towing capacity
Trailer MAM plated at 2500 and weighing 1400

The outcome will be no penalties issued by DVSA as all weights are legal
Not driving in accordance with the licence penalty issued by police as total MAM/GVW is 4600 which is 1600 over the 3500 B tow limit

If the trailer was down plated to 1400 then no penalties issued at all

DVSA will call the police if they suspect a driver is not driving within their licence limits

ROG

Visit site
Rog, can I tow a Ifor 510 with an approx 700kg horse with a Mitzubishi Pajero 2.5l with a B (post 1997) license or do I need to do the trailer test?

Please can you tell me the GVW of the car ? - this can be found as the top figure of four on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame OR as Max Permissible Weight on the V5 keepers form

I know the HB510 is 2584 MAM and 1000 empty

The GVW of the car added to the MAM of the trailer cannot add up to more than 3500 so its unlikely that you can tow this combo on a B licence even if you down plate the trailer to 1700