Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

skye_and_i

Visit site
Hi guys and gals,

Just a request for you all to check your lorries and towing vehicles for their towing eyes. Familiarise yourself with where they are, that they have a pin and are not seized in or obstructed by fancy bullbars or spotlights. If you have a screw in type eye make sure you know where it goes, where its kept and that its actually with the vehicle. If in doubt phone the manufacture. Its not much fun laying in the mud in the dark and rain/snow trying to find somewhere safe to attach the tow chain and it takes up valuable time when 2 others could have been towed off in the messing about taken

Thank you.

surreyhorsechick

Visit site
Hi there!

I currently tow with a Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC. I have one 15HH horse of 450kg and own an old Rice Europa with wooden floor.

My question is: I need to sell my beloved 4x4 as I can no longer justify the fuel costs when I only tow the trailer once or twice a year! I am looking to get an economical diesel estate or similar. Any suggestions???

Rice Europa:
Unladen weight - 850kg
Laden weight - 2000kg
Capacity - 1150kg

Many thanks!

mischamoo

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Am back again! After nearly purchasing a Freelander to tow a single trailer on my B license, I've been persuaded into taking the trailer part of my licence thus enabling me to tow 2 horse trailer and driving a larger 4X4!

So am going view a Kia Sorento 2.5 CRDi XS Automatic at the weekend with these specs:

Gross vehicle weight 2600 kg
Max towing weight 2800 kg
Minimum kerb weight 2059 kg

Would this be capable of towing an:
Ifor 505
Max gross weight 2340kg
Unlaiden weight 905.00 kg

or

Ifor 510:
Max gross weight 2584kg
Unlaiden weight 1000.00kg

with a 480kg horse and a 600kg horse?

ROG

Visit site
Hi there!

I currently tow with a Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC. I have one 15HH horse of 450kg and own an old Rice Europa with wooden floor.

My question is: I need to sell my beloved 4x4 as I can no longer justify the fuel costs when I only tow the trailer once or twice a year! I am looking to get an economical diesel estate or similar. Any suggestions???

Rice Europa:
Unladen weight - 850kg
Laden weight - 2000kg
Capacity - 1150kg

Many thanks!
You might be better asking in the tack room forum for such and simply stating that it needs a towing capacity of 1500 as that is 200 over what you require (850+450=1300)

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Am back again! After nearly purchasing a Freelander to tow a single trailer on my B license, I've been persuaded into taking the trailer part of my licence thus enabling me to tow 2 horse trailer and driving a larger 4X4!

So am going view a Kia Sorento 2.5 CRDi XS Automatic at the weekend with these specs:

Gross vehicle weight 2600 kg
Max towing weight 2800 kg
Minimum kerb weight 2059 kg

Would this be capable of towing an:
Ifor 505
Max gross weight 2340kg
Unlaiden weight 905.00 kg

or

Ifor 510:
Max gross weight 2584kg
Unlaiden weight 1000.00kg

with a 480kg horse and a 600kg horse?
lets say 1100 for horses and 1000 for trailer = 2100 plus 100 for other bits = 2200

using the lowest weight of 2340 minus 2200 leaves 140 spare

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG and am assuming this is all legal on a B+E license?
Oh yes :D

B+E is much simpler than B ....

Get the vehicle towing capacity and the trailer plated MAM
Use the lower of the two and that is your limit for the empty trailer and its load

Easy aint it !!

mischamoo

Visit site
Oh yes :D

B+E is much simpler than B ....

Get the vehicle towing capacity and the trailer plated MAM
Use the lower of the two and that is your limit for the empty trailer and its load

Easy aint it !!

Yes much simpler! Great, many thanks indeed! Will enjoy test driving a few this weekend!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Hi ROG!

We are currently converting a LWB Mini-bus into a camper. As well as using it for camping, it'll be used for towing the trailer when I'm on a Trec event as I prefer this than to a tent (means I can stay right next to my horse's corral without the risk of being run over in the night by a stampede and of course tents not allowed where the 'osses are)

Anyway, I have the pre-1997 licence so until it's done and we send the documents and pictures of the change to the DVLA it'll be an air-bed on the floor! :D

I imagine the weight is OK, bring a 3.5 tonne vehicle, it's a Peugeot Boxer, Hitop and LWB.

I'll be towing a 510 IW with two 'osses in it from time to time, but generally it'll be just the one.

We know we are well within the limits when towing with the 4x4 we have, so am I safe to assume this meaty van will be just the same?

Cheers!

DS

PS - Insurance has all been sorted too...

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG!

We are currently converting a LWB Mini-bus into a camper. As well as using it for camping, it'll be used for towing the trailer when I'm on a Trec event as I prefer this than to a tent (means I can stay right next to my horse's corral without the risk of being run over in the night by a stampede and of course tents not allowed where the 'osses are)

Anyway, I have the pre-1997 licence so until it's done and we send the documents and pictures of the change to the DVLA it'll be an air-bed on the floor! :D

I imagine the weight is OK, bring a 3.5 tonne vehicle, it's a Peugeot Boxer, Hitop and LWB.

I'll be towing a 510 IW with two 'osses in it from time to time, but generally it'll be just the one.

We know we are well within the limits when towing with the 4x4 we have, so am I safe to assume this meaty van will be just the same?

Cheers!

DS

PS - Insurance has all been sorted too...
I think the towing capacity is 2000 for that vehicle but to be sure please find the plate on the vehicle that gives the GVW and GTW

GTW minus GVW is usually the towing capacity

Your B+E licence is ok for this as the vehicle is not over 3500 kgs GVW

mischamoo

Visit site
Me again ROG, sorry! Just in the process of sorting out my car insurance for my new 4x4. Do I need to declare to the insurance company or obtain some form of "learner" insurance that covers me with my "L" plates on the vehicle and trailer while on the road to tow with my father (who has the B&E licence) sat next to me? Do I need to declare to them that I I'm learning to tow in the car?!

ROG

Visit site
Me again ROG, sorry! Just in the process of sorting out my car insurance for my new 4x4. Do I need to declare to the insurance company or obtain some form of "learner" insurance that covers me with my "L" plates on the vehicle and trailer while on the road to tow with my father (who has the B&E licence) sat next to me? Do I need to declare to them that I I'm learning to tow in the car?!

All insurers have different policies but in most cases all the driver has to do is inform them of what they are doing and incur no extra cost

Only anyone driving it needs insurance so a supervising driver who is not driving it does not need to be insured

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Very confused!

B licence

Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel estate
Curb weight 1155kg
GVW 1630kg
Max towing weight 1200KG

Rice Richardson trailer
unladen 980kg
max gross weight 2300kg

Thanks! (Horse 500kg max)

Victoria25

Visit site
I think the vehicle GVW plus the trailer max load must be less than 3500 in a B license?

Then the max weight of trailer must not be more than the vehicle kerb weight?

Could be wrong though? x

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Very confused!

B licence

Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel estate
Curb weight 1155kg
GVW 1630kg
Max towing weight 1200KG

Rice Richardson trailer
unladen 980kg
max gross weight 2300kg

Thanks! (Horse 500kg max)
This would be impossible for a number of reasons ....

980+500=1480 so well over 1200

1630+2300=3930 which is over the B licence limit of 3500

2300 is more than 1155 which breaks the other B licence towing rule because the trailer MAM must not be more than the vehicle kerbweight

You could contact the manufacturer and have the trailer downplated to 1155 but that would only leave 175 kgs for the horse/load !! (1155-980=175)

SARAHSALLYRUBY

Visit site
Hi ya

Ive just posted in the other forum then found this very useful thread!

If i could ask for some help please

Im thinking of towing with a Ford Mondeo estate 2 litre tdi

Towing an ifor williams 505 with a 550kg horse on board

Is this legal with the B and E license?

In anyones opinion, would this vehicle be capable of towing this weight?

Thank you

ROG

Visit site
Hi ya

Ive just posted in the other forum then found this very useful thread!

If i could ask for some help please

Im thinking of towing with a Ford Mondeo estate 2 litre tdi

Towing an ifor williams 505 with a 550kg horse on board

Is this legal with the B and E license?

In anyones opinion, would this vehicle be capable of towing this weight?

Thank you
Ah good, you have B+E so that makes things easy :D

I think the Mondeo has a towing capacity of 1800 kgs but please check that for your model

If it is 1800 then with a trailer unladen weight of 900 and a load/horse of 550 it makes 1450 so well within the 1800 limit

Towing with a non 4x4 means you will have to very careful what sort of surfaces you tow it on as they will likely need to be solid ones

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
This would be impossible for a number of reasons ....

980+500=1480 so well over 1200

1630+2300=3930 which is over the B licence limit of 3500

2300 is more than 1155 which breaks the other B licence towing rule because the trailer MAM must not be more than the vehicle kerbweight

You could contact the manufacturer and have the trailer downplated to 1155 but that would only leave 175 kgs for the horse/load !! (1155-980=175)

Thank you! I might go back to my original plan, with a 3.5 box, but before I do, I have seen a Suzuki rav4 for sale, I know you mentioned that was a good option, would it work with that trailer? Sorry for all the questions!

ROG

Visit site
Thank you! I might go back to my original plan, with a 3.5 box, but before I do, I have seen a Suzuki rav4 for sale, I know you mentioned that was a good option, would it work with that trailer? Sorry for all the questions!
Unlikely to work as the trailer unladen weight is too high

You need a trailer which weighs about 800 kgs max when empty

Princess P

Visit site
At the weekend someone told me that there is talk of removing grandfather rights for B+E and lorries over 3.5t - to drive as well as supervise.

Has anyone else heard about this? Is it true?!

There will be a lot of people affected if it is true!

ROG

Visit site
At the weekend someone told me that there is talk of removing grandfather rights for B+E and lorries over 3.5t - to drive as well as supervise.

Has anyone else heard about this? Is it true?!

There will be a lot of people affected if it is true!
Oh great ... another myth in the making ....

If this was to be the case then proposals & consultations would need to be done first and none have been

It would also be a vote loser for any Govt that tried it

Lami

Visit site
Hi Rog,
Can i run this by you please? Am considering buying this:

Nissan xtrail Dci 173 Tekna 2010 plate, manual.

1. Passed test 1989
2. Unladen 1615kg
3. GVW 2170kg
4. GTW (is this the max trailer weight braked?) 2200
5. Plated mam of trailer HB506 2600
6. unladen trailer 920

Or would consider single trailer as would be carrying one horse upto 550kg
5. 1600
6. 767

If im correct the hb506 loaded would be too heavy?

Many thanks. Need a new car and eventually trailer so just looking at my options.