Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

sallybush

Visit site
I did try to post a picture of the two plates as I am not sure which one is correct, the english one is the one that says 2250 to 3000, but the pic is on my phone and have no idea how to post that to forum! Thanks for you help... looks like a trip to the weigh bridge is in order!

The plate that says 2250-3000 is the rating for the coupling (handbrake/jockeywheel/coupling unit) as it comes as a standalone unit from Bradley and the trailer manufacturer simply bolts it onto the trailer A frame. The fact your trailer plate says 2000kg suggests it may have been downrated as the coupling is over-specced for the trailer...the trailer manufacturer would probably have fitted a lighter cheaper coupling if it was designed as 2000kg trailer.

Its the trailer plate you need to use for towing calcs :)

ROG

Visit site
Ok thank you ROG and Sallybush. I had been wondering what the two were for. Is it easy to get it rated back to what the coupling says?
For the MAM to be changed the manufacturer must be contacted so it can be arranged with their local dealer to you

Assuming it can be uprated - am wondering whether all the other components can take an uprate ......

mischamoo

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Apologies if you've answered this Q already - however I need clarification from someone who knows!

I've been towing my 4X4 and trailer on a provisional licence since March with "L" plates and someone sitting beside me who holds a pre-1997 licence. I've just been informed by someone who thinks they know different that the person sitting next to me has to have taken the trailer test and simply having the pre-1997 "grandfather rights" to be able to sit next to someone is not enough - is this correct......?

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Apologies if you've answered this Q already - however I need clarification from someone who knows!

I've been towing my 4X4 and trailer on a provisional licence since March with "L" plates and someone sitting beside me who holds a pre-1997 licence. I've just been informed by someone who thinks they know different that the person sitting next to me has to have taken the trailer test and simply having the pre-1997 "grandfather rights" to be able to tow is not enough - is this correct......?
Not correct because some misread the bit below

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.

They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

mischamoo

Visit site
Not correct because some misread the bit below

In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.

They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

Thanks for clarifying ROG!! - suddenly had a massive panic attack thinking I'd been illegally towing for the past 8 months.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for clarifying ROG!! - suddenly had a massive panic attack thinking I'd been illegally towing for the past 8 months.

Quite a few got this wrong regarding B+E supervision including some DSA examiners when it first came out so I am not to hard on those that think this

It would have been useful for the authorities to put in the bit - excludes those supervising B+E - which would have saved the problem

Janee

Visit site
I am looking to replace my car because I now need something to tow with, it also needs to be large enough to carry my work equipment (gardening) and ferry 4 children to and from school, not much I know. It will need to tow an Ifor Williams 510 (weight approx 999 kg) with 2 horses weight approx 510 kg and 520 kg.

At moment seen Nissan Navara and also Volvo XC90, would these be above the job for towing.

Any others people would recommend?

ROG

Visit site
I am looking to replace my car because I now need something to tow with, it also needs to be large enough to carry my work equipment (gardening) and ferry 4 children to and from school, not much I know. It will need to tow an Ifor Williams 510 (weight approx 999 kg) with 2 horses weight approx 510 kg and 520 kg.

At moment seen Nissan Navara and also Volvo XC90, would these be above the job for towing.

Any others people would recommend?
You obviously have a B+E licence and have a trailer capable of that weight so you need any vehicle with a towing capacity of at least 2100 kgs but recommend one with around 2500 kgs

If for towing on hard ground only then any vehicle will do but if not then it needs to be a 4x4 etc

That is as far as I can go with your query

coen

Visit site
Hi Roger

I am looking to purchase a HB511 before xmas and currently drive a VW Touareg but I need to do my B+E.

I just called a local training training centre to book an assessment lesson and the receptionist said to ensure i have a second number plate & that my car has a secondary system.
I would be using my car and their trailer.

Would you mind giving me a bit of info on what this is as I haven't a clue and the receptionist couldn't provide much info either.
Also are there any other things I should be aware of?

ROG

Visit site
Hi Roger

I am looking to purchase a HB511 before xmas and currently drive a VW Touareg but I need to do my B+E.

I just called a local training training centre to book an assessment lesson and the receptionist said to ensure i have a second number plate & that my car has a secondary system.
I would be using my car and their trailer.

Would you mind giving me a bit of info on what this is as I haven't a clue and the receptionist couldn't provide much info either.
Also are there any other things I should be aware of?
Number plate for trailer
Secondary system = over-run brakes which it will already have as standard

Did they also mention that you need extra side mirrors so the examiner can see down both sides from the passenger as well as you can from the driver seat?

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

Well explained here

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS

ROG

Visit site
Last edited:

coen

Visit site
Thanks so much for the info. Really interesting that you can in effect teach yourself.
Do you have any idea how may hours training is required on average to pass the test?
I have been driving for 10years used to the 4x4 but never pulled a trailer.

My car is auto, ah i didn't even consider that buy guess it will make it a little easier if you have to do any hills?

And i am based in Upminster Essex well I hope so. I don't know anyone who has used them but they are pretty local.
They didn't mention extra mirrors maybe I should call and check.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks so much for the info. Really interesting that you can in effect teach yourself.
Do you have any idea how may hours training is required on average to pass the test?
I have been driving for 10years used to the 4x4 but never pulled a trailer.

My car is auto, ah i didn't even consider that buy guess it will make it a little easier if you have to do any hills?

And i am based in Upminster Essex well I hope so. I don't know anyone who has used them but they are pretty local.
They didn't mention extra mirrors maybe I should call and check.
It is in the link I posted about vehicle and trailer test requirements = http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022521

If you are happy with B+E auto only then fine - most would not be

Please name the training company - that is allowed on here

coen

Visit site
Also in your opinion would a heavier trailer mean more stability?
I am torn between the HB506 & HB511 most people voted HB511 but it would be great to know if there is any impact on stability when in motion. e.g. effect from side winds ect?

coen

Visit site
Just seen your reply.
The company is roadtrain in thurrock, any experience of them?

My original driving test was manual so i don't mind doing the trailer test as auto mainly because I would prefer to use the car i am used to. Are most 4x4's auto?

ROG

Visit site
Also in your opinion would a heavier trailer mean more stability?
I am torn between the HB506 & HB511 most people voted HB511 but it would be great to know if there is any impact on stability when in motion. e.g. effect from side winds ect?

THANKS - that just reminded me of the NEW rule which in in place NOW - the trailer MUST be loaded with one x 1000 kgs IBC (water container) or 600 kgs in bags of sand

ROG

Visit site
Just seen your reply.
The company is roadtrain in thurrock, any experience of them?

My original driving test was manual so i don't mind doing the trailer test as auto mainly because I would prefer to use the car i am used to. Are most 4x4's auto?

About 50/50 for 4x4s

Roadtrain does have a pretty good rep for LGV training

Surprised they never mentioned the load in the trailer requirement but then I almost forgot !!

coen

Visit site
Ah well that is good to hear. To be honest the lady I spoke didn't seem to have the full info and none of the instructors were available.

Would that make it noticeably harder for me?
Guess I am just trying to gauge how hard it will be to pass, it would be awful to fail considering a test day is pretty expensive.

ROG

Visit site
Ah well that is good to hear. To be honest the lady I spoke didn't seem to have the full info and none of the instructors were available.

Would that make it noticeably harder for me?
Guess I am just trying to gauge how hard it will be to pass, it would be awful to fail considering a test day is pretty expensive.

The main issue is going to be - where will you get either a 1000 kg IBC filled with water or 600 kgs of sand bags ?

coen

Visit site
I just assumed they would provide that as they are providing the trailer but maybe not.
I will call tomorrow and check all of those details.

Thanks so much for the suggestion I will give those a ring tomorrow too.

Really appreciate all your help.

ROG

Visit site
I just assumed they would provide that as they are providing the trailer but maybe not.
I will call tomorrow and check all of those details.

Thanks so much for the suggestion I will give those a ring tomorrow too.

Really appreciate all your help.
If roadtrain are providing the trailer then it should be loaded as the DSA require - I assumed you were going to use your trailer

coen

Visit site
Just wondered if you had any advice regarding security?

Would you say a hitch lock or wheel clamp is most effective?

Thinking of using one of these, building a solid gate and someone else suggested cementing a ring to the ground and also chaining the trailer to that which sounds like a good idea.

ROG

Visit site
Just wondered if you had any advice regarding security?

Would you say a hitch lock or wheel clamp is most effective?

Thinking of using one of these, building a solid gate and someone else suggested cementing a ring to the ground and also chaining the trailer to that which sounds like a good idea.

All are good ideas so implement as many of them as possible

ba.wi

New User
Visit site
Hi Rog,
could you please advise me on this combination.

1.B
2. 1684
3. 2260
4. 2200
5. 1000
6. 450

These are specs for a Volkswagon Tiguan 4x4 and trailer with down rated MAM.
I havent bought the tiguan yet but have been looking into the options without a trailer test.
Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,
could you please advise me on this combination.

1.B
2. 1684
3. 2260
4. 2200
5. 1000
6. 450

These are specs for a Volkswagon Tiguan 4x4 and trailer with down rated MAM.
I havent bought the tiguan yet but have been looking into the options without a trailer test.
Many thanks
Legal

With a GVW of 2260 you can have a max trailer plated MAM of 1240 kgs

Curious ... what trailer is that with a MAM of 1000 and an empty weight of 450 kgs ?

SAMMI-J

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG
Can you please help me work out if this car will be suitable to tow
1 B+E
2 1585 unladed
3 2185 GVM
4 2000 braked
5 1600 Max load
6 675 unladed

The car is an Audi Q3 2.0 Quattro i want to two 2 ponies weighing 900kg