Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Fat_Pony

Visit site
Would a Hyundai ix35 be suitable for b licence towing? 2.0 CRDi 4WD. GVW is 2140kg. Max towing capacity of 2000kg. Would be towing either an ifor 401/403 or cheval liberte gold one with single 500kg horse.

ROG

Visit site
Would a Hyundai ix35 be suitable for b licence towing? 2.0 CRDi 4WD. GVW is 2140kg. Max towing capacity of 2000kg. Would be towing either an ifor 401/403 or cheval liberte gold one with single 500kg horse.
3500 - 2140 = 1360 for the max trailer MAM
Down plate via contact with manufacturer from what ever the trailer is now to 1350

Lets assume 800 for the empty trailer so 1350 - 800 = 550 for the horse/payload

A lighter empty trailer would give a little more wiggle room on the payload and chevals tend to be under 700 empty

Orchardbeck

Visit site
B licence towing - I have an Ifor Williams 506, and a 400kg pony. If I were to downplate my trailer, are there any vehicles that would be legal for me to tow it with? For example a Kia Sportage, or a Nissan qashquai? I apologise for being vague, I really haven't a clue on figures. Thank you.

ROG

Visit site
B licence towing - I have an Ifor Williams 506, and a 400kg pony. If I were to downplate my trailer, are there any vehicles that would be legal for me to tow it with? For example a Kia Sportage, or a Nissan qashquai? I apologise for being vague, I really haven't a clue on figures. Thank you.
The empty weight of a 506 is 920 kgs so with horse and a few other bits in it the actual weight is likely to be just under 1400

If you could get it down plated to 1400 then the maximum GVW for the towing vehicle would be 2100

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/kia/sportage/gross-vehicle-weight/ = kia sportage
Depending on model that is a possibility - choose any with a max GVW of 2100

You could down plate the trailer to 1350 which would give more options but that is very close on max weight with 920 + 400 = 1320 so if horsey puts on a few kgs or you need to put a few bits in the trailer then you would be overloaded for the trailer

To get that link with the GVWs I googled - kia sportage kgs gvw - so you could do the same for other types of vehicles

When you find a vehicle you like click on more info and check that the towing capacity can cope with the actual weight being towed - weights are near the bottom so scroll down once the info link has been clicked

ROG

Visit site
My post is a future one - deciding whether I need to actually take my test or not, probably will end up doing it anyway but imagine for now I'm on a B licence only...

Tow vehicle - Honda CRV 2l petrol
trailer - either ifor Williams 505 or bayhill (haven't bought it yet!)
Usually one horse (500kg) but would like to be able to take a friend (another 500kg).

Am I dreaming, that i'd be able to do that on a B only licence? Is my tow vehicle up to the job?
http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/honda/cr-v/gross-vehicle-weight/ - which model CRV is it in that list ?

Assuming it has a GVW of 2100 kgs then the trailer cannot have a plated MAM of more than 1400 kgs because that would make the max total of 3500 allowed for B licence towing

You have a great vehicle for B licence towing so you now need to get the right trailer to be able to transport ONE horse

TWO horses would deffo need to be under B+E rules

If your horse is 500 kgs then a trailer such as an IFOR HB401/403 with an empty weight of 800 max and down plated at little or no cost from 1600 to 1400 by contacting Ifor wiliams would then allow for a load of 600 kgs

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

mischamoo

Visit site
ROG: asking on behalf of a friend, the trailer that is used for the B+E test, must it be a closed box body as stated on the gov.uk website or can a horse trailer be used?

ROG

Visit site
ROG: asking on behalf of a friend, the trailer that is used for the B+E test, must it be a closed box body as stated on the gov.uk website or can a horse trailer be used?

A horse trailer is a closed box type trailer but how would the required load of 600 kgs of sand bags or 1000 litre filled IBC water container be sorted?

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
Excellent advice ROG thanks.
Ok, so now forgetting trying to tow on a B licence only, and say i'm going to do my B&E - is my tow vehicle (Honda crv) up to the job of towing 2 horses on a b&e licence? using the filters on that webpage you provided it seems to be the estate I-vtec gvw 2075kg. Just worried that it doesn't feel as 'meaty' as other trucks I've driven, and worried with the hills round here we'd struggle with two horses on.

mischamoo

Visit site
A horse trailer is a closed box type trailer but how would the required load of 600 kgs of sand bags or 1000 litre filled IBC water container be sorted?

I understand the trailer needs to have the water or sand load but what do you mean by how will it be sorted? Do you mean how will it be secured if it's in a horse trailer?

ROG

Visit site
Excellent advice ROG thanks.
Ok, so now forgetting trying to tow on a B licence only, and say i'm going to do my B&E - is my tow vehicle (Honda crv) up to the job of towing 2 horses on a b&e licence? using the filters on that webpage you provided it seems to be the estate I-vtec gvw 2075kg. Just worried that it doesn't feel as 'meaty' as other trucks I've driven, and worried with the hills round here we'd struggle with two horses on.
A petrol will never FEEL as meaty as a diesel

It seems from clicking on the MORE INFO links the towing capacity is 1700 kgs

With 2 horses weighing a total of 1000 then the max empty weight of a two horse trailer is going to be 700 max and I have never come across one with that low an empty weight so it seems you will need a towing vehicle with a greater towing capacity perhaps at least 2000 kgs

ROG

Visit site
I understand the trailer needs to have the water or sand load but what do you mean by how will it be sorted? Do you mean how will it be secured if it's in a horse trailer?
Yes but more getting one or the other in the first place without it costing a lot of money and time ......

mischamoo

Visit site
Yes but more getting one or the other in the first place without it costing a lot of money and time ......

Yes I see what you mean, a lot of time effort and money to ensure it meets the regs for the test. I'll pass info on, many thanks.

ROG

Visit site
Hi, I have spent hours reading about this and am still uncertain. I would be really greatful for any help.
I am currently on a B licence and know that at some point I will do the B +E but would love to be able to tow on the B licence if possible. Is there any chance with the following combination, and if so what would the trailer need to be downgraded to?
Towing vehicle. Toyota Hilux Double Cab 2.5l pick up with an open back
Trailer . ifor williams hb505 built in 2004
Welsh A pony - under 350kg?
Thanks again for any help!
The Hilux has a GVW of about 3040 kgs
The HB505 has a MAM of 2340 kgs
Those added together make 5380 which is way over the 3500 limit for B licence towing

Mhairi Walker

New User
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for previous information.
B licence
Ifor Williams HB505 registered 2004
Ford S max 2.0litre diesel registered 2011
Small pony - max 350kg

Would it be possible to tow this combination legally and if so what would you advise the trailer weight to be downgraded to?
Many thanks again for any help?

ROG

Visit site
Hi
Thanks for previous information.
B licence
Ifor Williams HB505 registered 2004
Ford S max 2.0litre diesel registered 2011
Small pony - max 350kg

Would it be possible to tow this combination legally and if so what would you advise the trailer weight to be downgraded to?
Many thanks again for any help?

The S-max has a GVW of 2505 so the maximum plated weight for a trailer on a B licence would be 995 so as not to go over the 3500 limit

As most trailers are at least 700 empty then down plating to 995 would only leave 295 at best for the load/horse

The GVW of a vehicle added to the trailer plated MAM must not total more than 3500 for B licence towing

Something like a Nissan Xtrail where the GVW is 2200 with a trailer such as a HB401/403 down plated from 1600 to 1300 via contacting the manufacturer at little or no cost is the way to go because that will leave about 500 kgs for the load/horse

So far you have chosen vehicles with too high a GVW to make B licence towing of a horse trailer possible

You need a vehicle with a GVW no higher than 2200 kgs and a trailer where the empty weight is no more than 800 kgs and have that trailer down plated to fit in with the 3500 rule

moodymare1987

Visit site
Just curious as to whether I need my b + e test I was adamant I did but had conflicting advice so thought would ask on here.
Changing my vehicle to a vw tiguan 2.0 diesel automatic 140ps think it's 2200 the weight
Have a 16.2 not got a trailer yet but if anyone could recommend a trailer if the set up can be achieved. Although not an issue as I was planning on sitting my test anyway.

ROG

Visit site
Just curious as to whether I need my b + e test I was adamant I did but had conflicting advice so thought would ask on here.
Changing my vehicle to a vw tiguan 2.0 diesel automatic 140ps think it's 2200 the weight
Have a 16.2 not got a trailer yet but if anyone could recommend a trailer if the set up can be achieved. Although not an issue as I was planning on sitting my test anyway.
http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/volkswagen/tiguan/gross-vehicle-weight/ - if it is the 2200 GVW in that list then you can have a trailer with a 1300 kgs plated MAM on a B licence

If you got something like a HB401/403 with an empty weight of just under 800 kgs then that leaves just over 500 kgs for the horse/load - such a trailer would need down plating from 1600 to 1300 by contacting the manufacturer at little or no cost

moodymare1987

Visit site
http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/volkswagen/tiguan/gross-vehicle-weight/ - if it is the 2200 GVW in that list then you can have a trailer with a 1300 kgs plated MAM on a B licence

If you got something like a HB401/403 with an empty weight of just under 800 kgs then that leaves just over 500 kgs for the horse/load - such a trailer would need
down plating from 1600 to 1300 by contacting the manufacturer at little or no cost

Thank you that's great to know opens up my options anyway. And yes it is the 2200 on that list

Bri

Visit site
Hi Rog,

Was hoping you could give me a bit of advice. We currently have an ifor 510 which we were planning to pull using a freelander sport 2.5l, and taking my b & e test. However, after checking the towing weight of the freelander, it appears I couldnt tow with a horse in at all (assuming I've got numbers right).

We also have a qashqai which we are considering trading in for a 4wd anyway, so was wondering if you could recommend a vehicle that would be suitable for pulling the 510 and also using as a day to day car - so not ernomously expensive to run? Is there any combination that would allow me to tow one horse of around 550kg, in the 510, without taking the b&e test?

Thank you very much!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

Was hoping you could give me a bit of advice. We currently have an ifor 510 which we were planning to pull using a freelander sport 2.5l, and taking my b & e test. However, after checking the towing weight of the freelander, it appears I couldnt tow with a horse in at all (assuming I've got numbers right).

We also have a qashqai which we are considering trading in for a 4wd anyway, so was wondering if you could recommend a vehicle that would be suitable for pulling the 510 and also using as a day to day car - so not ernomously expensive to run? Is there any combination that would allow me to tow one horse of around 550kg, in the 510, without taking the b&e test?

Thank you very much!

From my research on the internet it seems the freelander has a towing capacity of 2000 and the weight of the empty 510 is 1000 so that leaves 1000 for the horse in which case I fail to see any problem with that combination on a B+E licence

There is no way to use a 510 with a horse of 550 kgs on a B licence unless you can find a towing vehicle with a GVW of 1900 which also has a towing capacity of at least 1600
If you could find such a vehicle then down plating the 510 to 1600 would need to be done

Last edited:

Bri

Visit site
Thanks very much, thats good to know that I'm just appalling at maths. Think I may have been on an inaccurate website, as I'm sure it had the max towing weight as 1200kg.

So based on your sums I'm fine to tow the trailer with the freelander on a provisional license (as long as Im accompanied?)

Are there any cars that you would recommend if I wanted to carry two big horses?

Thanks again.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks very much, thats good to know that I'm just appalling at maths. Think I may have been on an inaccurate website, as I'm sure it had the max towing weight as 1200kg.

So based on your sums I'm fine to tow the trailer with the freelander on a provisional license (as long as Im accompanied?)

Are there any cars that you would recommend if I wanted to carry two big horses?

Thanks again.

B+E whether under provisional or full rules is fine

The one usual way to check the towing limit is to find the weight plate on the vehicle which maybe under the bonnet or hidden in a door frame then deduct the top figure from the second figure - does not always mean that is the max towing capacity but in most cases it works ok

That info might also be on the V5 document or in the handbook

There are so many vehicles capable of towing a 1000 kgs trailer loaded with 2 horses that it would be silly of me to start listing those with perhaps a 2500 or more towing capacity

Find out what the actual weight is that you wish to tow then find a vehicle you like and check out its max braked towing capacity - I would recommend choosing one that has at least 100 more towing capacity than the weight you wish to tow

Honey91

New User
Visit site
This is such a helpful thread - great idea!

Okay so I have a Fabia Ambiente TDI 80 estate, 1422cc Diesel (had to look this up in the manual)

This is what I have so far...
1 - No B+E
2 - I don't know the weight, but it says in the manual that it can tow 450KG for an "un-braked" trailer, - and 1000KG for a braked trailer
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle - don't know what this is
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle: 450KG for an "un-braked" trailer, - and 1000KG for a braked trailer
5 - I dont have a trailer yet
6 - I haven't got a trailer yet

I really want to buy/rent a single horse trailer to tow my 14.2hh (450kg) pony around in. Does this sound feasible? And Does anyone have any recommendations for a trailer that is good value for money, and as light as possible?

Thanks!

ROG

Visit site
This is such a helpful thread - great idea!

Okay so I have a Fabia Ambiente TDI 80 estate, 1422cc Diesel (had to look this up in the manual)

This is what I have so far...
1 - No B+E
2 - I don't know the weight, but it says in the manual that it can tow 450KG for an "un-braked" trailer, - and 1000KG for a braked trailer
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle - don't know what this is
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle: 450KG for an "un-braked" trailer, - and 1000KG for a braked trailer
5 - I dont have a trailer yet
6 - I haven't got a trailer yet

I really want to buy/rent a single horse trailer to tow my 14.2hh (450kg) pony around in. Does this sound feasible? And Does anyone have any recommendations for a trailer that is good value for money, and as light as possible?

Thanks!
not possible with any trailer as you only have a 1000 kgs towing capacity

ROG

Visit site
Oh well.. Look's like I need a new car and trailer then.. Thanks!
you need something like a ford mondeo with a lightweight and down plated trailer

GVW is the maximum a vehicle can legally be when fully loaded

MAM is the maximum the trailer can legally be when fully loaded

When those two are added together they cannot total more than 3500 for B licence towing

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Ok ROG I have a friend looking to get some transport she will need to take her test but a 4x4 and trailer is looking to be her best option, she has £6000 for both car and trailer, what is her best options? The horse is a big 17hh so probably weighs about 700kg and she will only be towing one.

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Ok ROG I have a friend looking to get some transport she will need to take her test but a 4x4 and trailer is looking to be her best option, she has £6000 for both car and trailer, what is her best options? The horse is a big 17hh so probably weighs about 700kg and she will only be towing one.

Thanks
I have no idea what would be best but the last link in my signature below might give some ideas .....