Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
That could be done on a B licence if the plated weights do not total more than 3500 kg

It's a good option!

I'm ancient so have B&E.

I don't "do" cars, my husband has pointed out it's an A6 not an A4 (not sure that makes any difference?), I checked cost of tow bars and think I may well go for it. My old 4x4 tow car was out of action for 2 weeks recently and it was a right pain, so having a back up would be brilliant. If the Audi turns out to cope well then I could actually ditch the 4x4....

Thanks TH and ROG.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I'm ancient so have B&E.

I don't "do" cars, my husband has pointed out it's an A6 not an A4 (not sure that makes any difference?), I checked cost of tow bars and think I may well go for it. My old 4x4 tow car was out of action for 2 weeks recently and it was a right pain, so having a back up would be brilliant. If the Audi turns out to cope well then I could actually ditch the 4x4....

Thanks TH and ROG.

An A6 has a bigger towing capacity depending on engine size.. my A4 is 2.0litre and does 1600. Just enough.

Lucky you!

Yes, I would ditch the 4x4 unless you need something to get you out of slippery situations and even so... I've seen a tractor towing out a Toyota Amazon from a drenched local show!

princestar

Visit site
Hi
I've been recommended to speak to you regarding towing an ifor Williams HB505 with a Honda CV-R diesel. My horse weighs 560kg and I have my trailer licence too.

Can you advise if a Honda cv-r will be any good, or advise something similar as I have also looked at a Freelander which I've been advised isn't good

The car will be my day to day car for general use and I will be towing between one and three times per month locally but with an occasional further trip.

May well have two horses both at 560/570kg each on some occasions too.

Hope you can help :) x

ROG

Visit site
Hi
I've been recommended to speak to you regarding towing an ifor Williams HB505 with a Honda CV-R diesel. My horse weighs 560kg and I have my trailer licence too.

Can you advise if a Honda cv-r will be any good, or advise something similar as I have also looked at a Freelander which I've been advised isn't good

The car will be my day to day car for general use and I will be towing between one and three times per month locally but with an occasional further trip.

May well have two horses both at 560/570kg each on some occasions too.

Hope you can help :) x

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/honda/cr-v/towing-weight-limit/ - what model do you have in that list ?

The trailer is 905 empty so with a horse at 560 that means you need a towing capacity of at least 1465 which could get a bit tight if you have a 1500 max tow weight model

If both horses are in trailer then you need a tow capacity of at least 2035

I have no expertise in tow cars so cannot make a recommendation as to what is best but the Skoda Octavia 4x4 was towcar of the year 2014

Bigbenji

Visit site
Hi ROG.

Think it's the LGV? Basically be able to drive a ridged bodied HGV. Be for personal use eg horsebox if that makes any difference :/

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
An A6 has a bigger towing capacity depending on engine size.. my A4 is 2.0litre and does 1600. Just enough.

Lucky you!

Yes, I would ditch the 4x4 unless you need something to get you out of slippery situations and even so... I've seen a tractor towing out a Toyota Amazon from a drenched local show!

Thanks TH.

I will get the towbar sorted and debate whether to keep the 4x4. I have spent so much on it recently that I nay as well hang on to it! (and secretly I do have a soft spot for it).

I think the tow capacity for the audi is 1800 which is more than ample for me. Will see how it goes!

BigNog

New User
Visit site
Hi Towing Clinic and ROG,
Please could you give me some advice?
I plan to tow an Ifor Williams HB403 with a 560kg horse on board using a SEAT alhambra 1.9 SE TDi (auto). I realise that I won't be able to go anywhere muddy or slippery but am I legal and safe?!

1. BE
2. 1841 kg
3. 2430 kg
4. 2000 kg (max towing capacity) I can't find the GTW!
5. 1600 kg
6. 767 kg

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated 😊

ROG

Visit site
Hi Towing Clinic and ROG,
Please could you give me some advice?
I plan to tow an Ifor Williams HB403 with a 560kg horse on board using a SEAT alhambra 1.9 SE TDi (auto). I realise that I won't be able to go anywhere muddy or slippery but am I legal and safe?!

1. BE
2. 1841 kg
3. 2430 kg
5. 1600 kg
6. 767 kg

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated ��
WELCOME

GTW will be 2430+2000=4430 but its not needed as you have all the info I need = thank you as it makes it easy

Unfortunately with a GVW of 2430 it leaves only 1070 for the trailer MAM so down plating from 1600 to 1070 minus the 767 trailer weight would only leave 303 kg for the trailer load/horse !!

Great choice of trailer for B towing but too high GVW on the vehicle

BigNog

New User
Visit site
Thanks ROG, Now 'm really confused! I thought the weight that I needed to worry about was making sure that the unladen weight of the trailer + weight of the horse (767 kg + 560 kg = 1327 kg) didn't exceed 85% of the car's kerb weight (85% of 1841kg = 1596 kg). Have I got that wrong? ��

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG, Now 'm really confused! I thought the weight that I needed to worry about was making sure that the unladen weight of the trailer + weight of the horse (767 kg + 560 kg = 1327 kg) didn't exceed 85% of the car's kerb weight (85% of 1841kg = 1596 kg). Have I got that wrong? ��
Totally wrong

85% thing is advice for caravanners only

You are using actual weights and the law works on plated weights for licences

Actual weights must not exceed the plated weights

OOPS - you have BE not B ... silly me misread that bit !!!!!!!!!!!

1. BE
2. 1841 kg
3. 2430 kg
5. 1600 kg
6. 767 kg

You are legally ok

You have a 2000 towing capacity and a 1600 trailer MAM - the lower of those is 1600
1600 minus 767 = 833 so that is what you can load into the trailer

ROG

Visit site
I do apologise BigNog - when I saw ifor single trailer I assumed it would be for B licence and not BE

One thing - they fetch a premium because B licence towers are on the hunt for those second hand

BigNog

New User
Visit site
Phew! Hooray for being an old lady! Thanks very much ROG, my horse will be very relieved that she doesn't need to start a strict diet! I have read so many different things about towing capacity and towing weights (online and in books) and found it very hard to condense into a simple formula so thank you for your help 😊

BigNog

New User
Visit site
Good news! Although I've only just bought the trailer so I'm hoping to enjoy it for a good few years �� Thank you

Bridie&theMinis

Visit site
Hi Rog
Thanks for helping. I must be the biggest plank - I still don't know what number 4 would be?
1 - B (B+E test booked for July)
2 - 2145 (bmw x5)
3 - 2785
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle ? (I have 1 horse approx 500-550)
5 - 2340 (ifor 505)
6 - 905
Would you mind clarifying if I can I take the trailer out myself if empty to practise over the next month or do I need someone with me plus L plates?
Thanks Rog, appreciated - its mind boggling!

Bridie&theMinis

Visit site
Hi Rog - think I may have all the right numbers now (ref adjacent post) I couldn't edit it so had to do a new message! I have a 500-550 mare. Thank you!
1. B
2. 2175 kg
3. 2725 kg
4. 2700 kg
5. 2340 kg
6. 905 kg

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog - think I may have all the right numbers now (ref adjacent post) I couldn't edit it so had to do a new message! I have a 500-550 mare. Thank you!
1. B
2. 2175 kg
3. 2725 kg
4. 2700 kg
5. 2340 kg
6. 905 kg

Would you mind clarifying if I can I take the trailer out myself if empty to practise over the next month or do I need someone with me plus L plates?

2725+2340=5065 so well over the 3500 allowed for B towing

It remains at 5065 whether loaded or empty - this may be useful ........

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

Under B+E rules you can load 1435 into the trailer

daisy123

Visit site
Hi rog. Do you remember me? Well I've sold my trailer now and just thought I'd double check the weight I need to buy. I think you said 1500kg mam. Is that correct? Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi rog. Do you remember me? Well I've sold my trailer now and just thought I'd double check the weight I need to buy. I think you said 1500kg mam. Is that correct? Thanks
These are what I found on door

1965kg
3465kg
1050kg
960kg

1500 plated MAM max on the trailer plate is correct

1965 GVW + 1500 MAM = 3465 so under the 3500 max total for B towing

Most will have a plate higher than 1500 so you need a trailer where the manufacturer is still trading so it can be down plated by them

If you have a horse weighing 420 kg (from your previous post) then having a trailer which weighs 1000 empty will still be ok as it will still allow for a 500 load after being down plated to 1500

Personally I would go for a single or lightweight trailer such as the HB401/3 or a Bateson Derby for example so that if you get a car in the future with a higher GVW it can still be down plated further

TBH if you got a HB401/3 which weighs just under 800 empty then I would down plate it to 1300 allowing for a 2200 GVW car in the future

Olliepop

Visit site
Any recommendations about where to get a tow bar fitted to a Range Rover Sport? We are based in Loughborough and need it sorting out ASAP. Also any pitfalls to watch out for and are there any opinions about a flange fitted tow bar vs. the detachable one? Thanks in advance :)

ROG

Visit site
Any recommendations about where to get a tow bar fitted to a Range Rover Sport? We are based in Loughborough and need it sorting out ASAP. Also any pitfalls to watch out for and are there any opinions about a flange fitted tow bar vs. the detachable one? Thanks in advance :)
Not my area of knowledge but perhaps another member reading can help

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
1 - What licence they hold - B or BE Basic license from between 1997 and 2013 so B?
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer "

ok - struggling to find all of the weights for the above - but i have the booklet infront of me so will share what that says!

Max permissible towed weights unbraked trailers 750kg, braked 3500kg
Approx EEC kerbweights - 2150-2280kg
MGVW - max would be 2880kg (says 2750 for all 5 seaters but then the larger figure for what appears to be none 5 seaters but with the self-leveling suspension - which i believe mine has) Parkers just has under 'weight' 2150kg
trailer app weights 675-900kg (think it depends upon year but no figures based on years) - tyre size 155/13 (yep not quite a horse trailer but hope you dont mind still helping out here!) When i have asked the seller if there is a weight mentioned on the trailer i have been told it says 350 -700 kg - but that seems a big range :/

Any help gratefully appreciated!

I know i can tow my horse trailer with my mum with me with L plates etc (assuming they havent removed the grand dad rights etc!), but this is for a trailer tent so we can have some family holidays but both hubby and i have the same license etc. Thanks.

Car is a 99 LR Discovery TD5 GS Auto (06) Estate.

ROG

Visit site
1 - What licence they hold - B or BE Basic license from between 1997 and 2013 so B?
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer "

ok - struggling to find all of the weights for the above - but i have the booklet infront of me so will share what that says!

Max permissible towed weights unbraked trailers 750kg, braked 3500kg
Approx EEC kerbweights - 2150-2280kg
MGVW - max would be 2880kg (says 2750 for all 5 seaters but then the larger figure for what appears to be none 5 seaters but with the self-leveling suspension - which i believe mine has) Parkers just has under 'weight' 2150kg
trailer app weights 675-900kg (think it depends upon year but no figures based on years) - tyre size 155/13 (yep not quite a horse trailer but hope you dont mind still helping out here!) When i have asked the seller if there is a weight mentioned on the trailer i have been told it says 350 -700 kg - but that seems a big range :/

Any help gratefully appreciated!

I know i can tow my horse trailer with my mum with me with L plates etc (assuming they havent removed the grand dad rights etc!), but this is for a trailer tent so we can have some family holidays but both hubby and i have the same license etc. Thanks.

Car is a 99 LR Discovery TD5 GS Auto (06) Estate.
1 = B
3 = GVW 2880
I do not need to go any further because there is no decent trailer you can tow with such a high GVW with a B licence

Curious - what trailer is it ?

Last edited:

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
1 = B
3 = GVW 2880
I do not need to go any further because there is no horse trailer you can tow with such a high GVW with a B licence

Thanks - but i did explain that it's not a horse trailer i was after some help with, but a little trailer tent etc
With this new Discovery that i have does this now mean i cant tow my horse trailer with my mum sat with me with the L plates like my old disco?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks - but i did explain that it's not a horse trailer i was after some help with, but a little trailer tent etc
With this new Discovery that i have does this now mean i cant tow with my mum sat with me with the L plates like my old disco?

I just saw that and corrected my answer

You can tow a trailer tent which has a MAM of 750 kgs or less on your B licence

Can you give me more info on the trailer please ?

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
the seller has said the plate on the trailer says the weight is 300-700kg - but that is a massive range IMO.
Online when i have searched that brand (but cant find anything that relates to the year it was made), and it says the weight is 675 (ex works) - 900kg (max).
it's a pennine pullman, but it's an old one (early 80's)