Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

SuperCat007

Visit site
V5 doc = max permissible mass
OR
top number of the 4 on the weight plate usually under the bonnet or in a door frame

Would need to know exact model to find GVW on the internet

Wait, no. I'm getting the list all mixed up. The GVW of the Passat is 1430 according to Parker's. Unsure of the unladen weight of the veichle though, I'm struggling to find that.

ROG

Visit site
Wait, no. I'm getting the list all mixed up. The GVW of the Passat is 1430 according to Parker's. Unsure of the unladen weight of the veichle though, I'm struggling to find that.

PLEASE give the exact model you have as there are so many

What does is say on the V5 keepers doc under - max permissible weight ?????????????

ROG

Visit site

trailer guy

Visit site
Hello all

Thanks for the intro ROG. I am, indeed, more than happy to help with any trailering questions you may have.

I've been in the trailer industry for around twenty years so have come across most issues in that time. I hope I can be of assistance to those of you that are a bit stuck with the more unglamorous side of this lovely industry!

All the best, Ben

Laura2408

Visit site
Sorry I've asked this before ROG but can't find the answer.

What trailer can I legally tow on a B licence with a VW Tiguan. I think the GVW is 1655. 2200 towing capacity.
Pony is 400kg.

Really don't want to do the test!

ROG

Visit site
Sorry I've asked this before ROG but can't find the answer.

What trailer can I legally tow on a B licence with a VW Tiguan. I think the GVW is 1655. 2200 towing capacity.
Pony is 400kg.

Really don't want to do the test!

Empty will be 1655
GVW is likely to be about 2200

Look on V5 keeper doc under max permissible mass OR find hidden weight plate on vehicle - usually under bonnet or in a door frame - and note the top of the 4 numbers listed
That will enable you to post the GVW which I need before going further

ROG

Visit site
I think the GVW is 2350 from a quick google? Would need to dig documents out!

Seems a bit high at 2350

Example if GVW is 2250
That leaves a plated MAM for the trailer of 1250 so you would need to get a trailer where the manufacturer is still trading to get it down plated

If for example the trailer was a HB401/3 then that weighs 780 empty but most are plated at 1600 so you would need to contact IW to down plate it = you remove plate and send them the fee and then they send you new plate and you fix it on

At 780 empty and plated at 1250 that would leave 470 for the trailer load so easily coping with a 400 pony

I await the exact GVW of your vehicle .............

spugs

Visit site
Hi, b licence, car is a 2006 1.9 fiat multipa, pony is 500kg and trailer would be something that could be towed on a b licence only. This really makes my head hurt!

ROG

Visit site
Hi, b licence, car is a 2006 1.9 fiat multipa, pony is 500kg and trailer would be something that could be towed on a b licence only. This really makes my head hurt!

Please give me the top two weights of the four listed on the vehicle weight plate which is usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame OR get the V5 keepers DVLA doc and give me the max permissible weight and the max braked towing weight figures

ROG

Visit site
Max permissible mass (exc. m/c) 3350.
May towable braked 1300

Are those the ones?

With a GVW of 3350 the max trailer plated weight is 750kg on a B licence - most horse trailers are at least that when empty

You need a vehicle with a GVW around 2200 kg max

ROG

Visit site
Hi there

I have a query here which I am looking for help with.

I have just bought a cheval liberte horse trailer (single horse). I only have a B licence at the moment and for various reasons sitting the test will be tricky but I will be planning to do it in the near future.

I'm the meantime I need to work out what is legal! It is SO confusing but I think I may finally get it. We haven't yet got the car to tow with, but will be getting one once we have worked out what is legal!

Am I right in thinking that the LEGAL requirement is that the combination of car and trailer goes purely by MAM? Not by how much they actually weigh? As in, trailer MAM is 1400 and Car MAM is 2000 then you're ok because it's only 3400? So even if the car MAM and trailer MAM are more, but the combination are on road and weighs less than 3500 at any given point it doesn't matter in the eyes of the law because it's still illegal?

Also can anyone who has a b licence tell me what cars you tow with and how well you think they do the job? I know it's limited, but I want to learn on the job, as it were, then do the test when I have the time. (Waiting list at our local test centre is months too!)

Thanks!

Licences go on the plated weights not actual weights

If the GVW of your car is 2000 and the MAM of the trailer is 1400 then at 3400 total that is legal for a B licence

What is the towing capacity of your car ?

What sort of vehicles are you looking for ? - 4x4s ?

Fourtoomany

Visit site
Thanks for that ROG!

We haven't picked a car yet, so anything that is big enough day to day for 3 kids and 3 dogs, but that will be happy towing at the weekends. I have told my husband that I don't care what it looks like or what it is! It's going to be my car and it will be full of horse hair within weeks!

4x4 would be nice but an estate would be fine too. The box is new so I'll be downplaying it to as low as possible as soon as I can!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for that ROG!

We haven't picked a car yet, so anything that is big enough day to day for 3 kids and 3 dogs, but that will be happy towing at the weekends. I have told my husband that I don't care what it looks like or what it is! It's going to be my car and it will be full of horse hair within weeks!

4x4 would be nice but an estate would be fine too. The box is new so I'll be downplaying it to as low as possible as soon as I can!

Try a Skoda Octavia 4x4

spugs

Visit site
How about this one?

B&E towing licence

Car is a 2005 jag x type 2.0
Gvw 2035 kg
Max breaker trailer 1500kg

Trailer is a Ivor Williams 505

Thansk

ROG

Visit site
How about this one?

B&E towing licence

Gvw 2035 kg

Thansk

We are limited to a max of 1500 actual weight being towed behind the car

HB505 is 905 empty so that leaves a max load to put inside the trailer of 595

ROG

Visit site
How about this one?

B&E towing licence

Gvw 2035 kg

Thansk

Another thought - by contacting IW and down plating trailer to 1450 would leave a max trailer load of 545 on a B licence

Counterpoint

Visit site
I have a towing question:

I use a 2008 Ford Mondeo estate 2L Diesel to tow, and usually tow an Ifor 505 with the partitions out, with full width bars (it has aluminium floor). It tows comfortably and easily even up fairly steep hills.
My horse weighs 620kg.
She won't allow me to shut the top back doors on the trailer even if I wanted to, but does move and panic a little when large lorries come up behind us.

I am going to have to tow for 3 hrs+ soon, I will take breaks, but much of the journey will be on motorways. I have the option of borrowing an equitreck trailer (not the massive ones with living, but has a side ramp and horsebox style partitions and is fully enclosed), not sure how much it weighs, and don't have a means of finding out exactly, I could take the partition out.

Do you have any idea if I might be ok for weight?
I suspect I'll be over the 85% for the car, but the horse would travel much better in it. If it helps any kit would be in the car, so increasing the car's weight relative to the trailer. I know I need to keep the total down to 3.5t too, I'm not sure how people with large trailers manage this.

I have a standard pre 1997 B+E licence

Counterpoint

Visit site

I use a 2008 Ford Mondeo estate 2L Diesel to tow, and usually tow an Ifor 505 with the partitions out, with full width bars (it has aluminium floor). It tows comfortably and easily even up fairly steep hills.
My horse weighs 620kg.
She won't allow me to shut the top back doors on the trailer even if I wanted to, but does move and panic a little when large lorries come up behind us.

I am going to have to tow for 3 hrs+ soon, I will take breaks, but much of the journey will be on motorways. I have the option of borrowing an equitreck trailer (not the massive ones with living, but has a side ramp and horsebox style partitions and is fully enclosed), not sure how much it weighs, and don't have a means of finding out exactly, I could take the partition out.

Do you have any idea if I might be ok for weight?
I suspect I'll be over the 85% for the car, but the horse would travel much better in it. If it helps any kit would be in the car, so increasing the car's weight relative to the trailer. I know I need to keep the total down to 3.5t too, I'm not sure how people with large trailers manage this.

Just to Add, its s Space Trecka, I think M but not sure - will try to find out, but the owner doesn't seem to know, according to specs that would make it £1200kg which isn't as heavy as I thought, plus the horse would make it £1820, slightly less if I take the partition out. Still close and I'm not totally sure whats recommended, whats legal and whats just stupid.

ROG

Visit site
I know I need to keep the total down to 3.5t
No 3.5 limit with B+E - dunno where you got that from !

85% advice is for caravans only

Need to know weight of load being put in trailer ?
Weight of empty trailer ?
Plated MAM of trailer ?
Towing capacity of vehicle ?

Counterpoint

Visit site
Thanks ROG!!
Don't know where I got the 3.5 from either - good to know it isn't relevant.
Will check tonight but I think the capacity of car is 1800 based on online searches, I'll check the plate and the V5.

Load going into trailer will be 620kg horse plus about 5kg haynet. Thats all, rug and boots on the horse won't make much diff. The rest goes in the car.

If those numbers are right does that means I'm just about ok?

legaldancer

Visit site
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, the forum has changed a bit since I last visited. I've put a post in the 'Tack Room' but it may be better here.
Does anyone tow with a new shape (2015) Kia Sorento?
It seems that the latest reincarnation of the Kia Sorrento can only have a detachable tow bar rather than a fitted version. We have found a Sorento that fits our criteria and has a tow bar to replace my unreliable Discovery 3, however, I'm rather worried about the detachable tow bar as have heard they're not as safe for towing livestock. There is no option to change it on the latest model for a permanently fitted version, and another Discovery is sadly out of the question. I'm hoping to hear from others with the new Sorento. Older Sorentos were more truck like and had the permanent fitted tow bars, but as I say, that's no longer an option.