What happens if whole country on lockdown???

SaddlepadHoarder

Visit site
I'm sure many of us are a bit sick of COVID19 now but this is something that has been concerning me the last few days.

As there are many that are not listening to the social distancing guidelines MPs are asking for harsher rules, such as a lockdown.

What happens if we do go on lockdown?
Do you think there would be rules for people needing to tend to livestock or would there be a select authorised group doing it?
What happens for those on livery yards, do the managers do it all?

Aoife 2020

Visit site
I say we will have the same rules as others countries on lockdown. Owners aren’t allowed into the yard only staff are allowed into the yard to care for animals in livery yards . I say you would only be allowed out if nobody is there to care for them like having horses at home.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
At our yard only the ‘primary care giver’ of the horse is allowed on the yard - it’s DIY with two freelance grooms who can help if you need it. It’s a big yard, 60+ horses so there’s no way they could do all the horses by themselves. So one person per horse, you get two hours a day to do your horse, which I think is more to stop people hanging around and chatting, and no jumping (in case of accidents). I think if there was a lockdown there’d be similar measures introduced for every yard.
But if you are the only person able to care for your horse then how can they not allow you? Dog walks are still allowed in countries on lockdown so surely horses can be cared for too.
Possibly full livery yards would be different, as it isn’t neglect not to go and visit them if the staff are already taking care of them.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm worried that everything goes to lockdown and we won't be allowed on the yard and all the horses will be put on full livery. After this awful winter and the spring just coming I'll be really upset not to see my pony all summer. Extra expense too at a time when I have no work :( I missed most of last summer through illness so had lots of plans for this year.

ihatework

Visit site
We will just have to wait and see what the guidance is that comes out. Nobody knows at present.

I think it is very prudent to consider that irrespective of the guidance, some yards will take additional measures. All I would say to us owners of horses on livery is that it’s beyond our control, the yard owners may need to make unpopular decisions and that each and every one of us will need to accept those and cut everyone some slack.

The yard where my big horse is on competition livery is on lockdown. No routine access for me moving forwards. Hopefully if this weather holds the fields will dry sufficiently for the less important horses (ie mine) to get turned away.

Where my young horse is it’s more worrying for a variety of reasons. I’m considering trying to relocate him this week if possible.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We’re a small yard of 10 people and there isn’t anyone on site or employed to take care of them. Estate workers carry out general maintenance but they do not know how to manage horses. I’m hoping that the Government will take into account the different horse owning culture compared to France or Italy. Hopefully the BHS is proactive on this front otherwise I’m wasting my money being a member.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
What doesn't help is at the moment I'm sure many of us are in the position that turnout is being limited. Mine is on Monday to Friday basic livery so I have to go at the weekends and at least a couple of times a week to exercise otherwise his legs swell up. He has also chosen this weekend to get mud fever so I need treat and apply creams at least every other day. I'm hoping if it comes to it a trip to the yard and back for essential care will be allowed even if we need to get some sort of letter to prove what we are doing.

SEL

Visit site
I'm really hoping the weather this week dries the fields out!

Not every horse can go out 24:7, but those that can will have to on our yard if there are tighter restrictions. Our YO is in the high risk category so she can't look after them on her own.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm sure many of us are a bit sick of COVID19 now but this is something that has been concerning me the last few days.

As there are many that are not listening to the social distancing guidelines MPs are asking for harsher rules, such as a lockdown.

What happens if we do go on lockdown?
Do you think there would be rules for people needing to tend to livestock or would there be a select authorised group doing it?
What happens for those on livery yards, do the managers do it all?
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...rovisions-in-place-due-to-coronavirus.786857/

As in France, if the country goes into a full lock down and a horse is on a livery yard then the YO has to take responsibility for that horse. This isn't very practicable as this would mean on a lot of yards one person in sole charge of anything between 2 and 42 horses!

On our yard all the horses will be put out to grass 24/7 simply due to the logistics of one person doing all the work. Lockdown would mean no staff can attend the yard, not just liveries.

Hopefully lockdown will be prevented, but if not entirely prevented then at least we can but hope it will be in a few more days/weeks when the land has dried up and fields have been rolled or harrowed to give our horses and ponies the best possible chance of living out 24/7 and not living in a mud pit.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm worried that everything goes to lockdown and we won't be allowed on the yard and all the horses will be put on full livery. After this awful winter and the spring just coming I'll be really upset not to see my pony all summer. Extra expense too at a time when I have no work :( I missed most of last summer through illness so had lots of plans for this year.
We will all be upset at not seeing our horses and those control freaks amongst us ;) will be ever more upset.
I think, as I've said before, that a lot of hard decisions will be made for those horses/ponies that cannot possibly live out due to health conditions like those with EMS, laminitis, recovering from colic surgery or damaged legs to name but a few things that spring to mind.

So me not seeing my horse every day for weeks/months might be the worst thing I can think of at the moment, it will in theory be not as upsetting as losing an animal for the reason above.

PS Please think about taking any valuables home with you. Stables by their very nature tend to be isolated and surrounded by fields. A thieves paradise. There will be practically no one around should we go into lockdown so tackrooms and stables will become very vulnerable. I suggest if you don't take your tack home you take some photos of it and mark it, mark your rugs with your horses freezemark and if they don't have one just make one up. Look at installing security lights or alarms and make sure gateways are secured with thick chains and padlocks. Not trying to scare anyone, I'm just being sensible.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
What I really hope doesn’t happen is that the horses get chucked in the fields and left til this is over - after the muddy muddy winter I’m sure a lot of horses have thrush, mud fever, etc. My boy has mild thrush and mud rash but it’s only mild because both conditions are washed, dried and medicated every day! Plus the weather is so variable... I know he’d survive but I don’t like the thought of having to put him out naked (he’s fully clipped) when there’s lows of three still.

NinjaPony

Visit site
As far as I am concerned, DIY owners come under 'essential' travel etc-you need to be there to act as primary carer.

One of mine has laminitis atm and is on box rest. Push comes to shove, I'll be up there at stupid o'clock to make sure I am isolated whilst looking after him, and he will be moved into an isolated box with all his equipment etc. 24/7 T/O is just not an option until this is under control.

What is frustrating me is that if everyone is sensible, it won't need to come to that. If people keep flouting the social distancing rules, then we may end up in the full lockdown.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont understand how this works, surely the "primary care giver" remains the horse owner? If your horse is on DIY then you are the only one giving your own horse care? So surely you can continue doing so? What happens if the livery yard owner is ill with the virus, they're still expected to do all the horses on their yard themselves?

I do worry for all the animals in all this and how these rules (which are definately coming) are going to affect them.

I count myself extremely lucky for keeping my horses at home with me. I dont know how Id cope with no doing my own horses on a daily basis.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I dont understand how this works, surely the "primary care giver" remains the horse owner? If your horse is on DIY then you are the only one giving your own horse care? So surely you can continue doing so? What happens if the livery yard owner is ill with the virus, they're still expected to do all the horses on their yard themselves?
I think this is when leaving it up to individuals to decide the rules around the edges is problematic.
My YO (lives off site) said that if he gets it, he's self isolating at the yard. There are 7 full liveries and a similar number of us on DIY.
Hence my decision to whisk mine home if that happens, I can't afford to have 2 on full livery and tbh I have no idea how one sick man thinks he is going to look after a yard of 14 o_O
I am fortunate to have the space available to do that. it would be much more sensible if he stayed home if he was sick and the liveries worked on a rota IMO!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
What I really hope doesn’t happen is that the horses get chucked in the fields and left til this is over - after the muddy muddy winter I’m sure a lot of horses have thrush, mud fever, etc. My boy has mild thrush and mud rash but it’s only mild because both conditions are washed, dried and medicated every day! Plus the weather is so variable... I know he’d survive but I don’t like the thought of having to put him out naked (he’s fully clipped) when there’s lows of three still.

I feel exactly the same way

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I think I would have mine out in a lightweight turnout, she's not clipped and only has about a third of her winter coat left. But a lightweight would cover days when its really warm 12c and nights when its 2 or 3 c. Whereas anything heavier would be too warm in the mild days of spring.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
As others have said, we need to wait and see. I am on a small DIY yard, YO doesn't live on site but is a short drive away. I live less than 1 mile away. I would prefer to do J myself, of course I would, but if needs must and he has to go on livery then he will have to. I am already typing out some instructions for him (he is quite easy) but just in case then I know at least he will be looked after how I would.

Its such a changeable time. Looks like whatever happens I will be required to go in to work, so I am probably better off not going to the yard as well if everything is on lock down.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you had to turn them away clipped they would be ok just cold and lose weight probably better that than having rugs on with minimal care .
I have been preparing for the worse mine ( all clipped over the winter ) are out in no fills and in cotton sheets at night stabled with the windows and doors open they will have been cold last night but if they stop non essential work and I was become unwell they would have to go out so I have them ready .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I looked at flight radar today as i was given the impression via the media that global flights have been seriously curtailed, due to global lockdowns.
at this moment theres more than 6000 planes up in the air travelling internationally. Surely they’re not ALL full of loo roll!

https://www.flightradar24.com/44.46,-29.75/4

Good I hope some them are full of paracetamol

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think this is when leaving it up to individuals to decide the rules around the edges is problematic.
My YO (lives off site) said that if he gets it, he's self isolating at the yard. There are 7 full liveries and a similar number of us on DIY.
Hence my decision to whisk mine home if that happens, I can't afford to have 2 on full livery and tbh I have no idea how one sick man thinks he is going to look after a yard of 14 o_O
I am fortunate to have the space available to do that. it would be much more sensible if he stayed home if he was sick and the liveries worked on a rota IMO!
I think people just don’t get HOW sick they could get!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think people just don’t get HOW sick they could get!
no, exactly! and if he is unwell anyway then it's stupid to be locked up in the sticks without anyone there, and with a whole bloody yard of fit animals to look after, as we are still on 2 hr daily turnout so loads of work to do on the yard. But I very much doubt he will listen to reason - hence my "just grab them and go" approach!

MrsNorris

Visit site
It would be a death sentence for both of mine to be chucked out for the summer, 2 EMS cobs who need very tight management to stay healthy. I’ve no idea what’s going to happen, only that I cannot allow them to suffer, one is early 20s but the other is only 8, I’m worried sick..

vmac66

Visit site
My horse is on a, DIY yard. Her field has very little grass on it and she also had laminitis last spring. There is no way YO would be able to manage all 40 horses. We have discussed this and have decided a rota would be put on place to minimise people on the yard. Every owner is the primary carer.

be positive

Visit site

That is bonkers, if he is sick he will have no energy to care for the horses, I live on site so will be fine if I remain well, if I get sick the liveries with take turns to come and do the essentials, the essentials are being reduced each day by turning out and being able to reduce feeds/ hay/ rugs, one pony is on lockdown as from yesterday as looking a little too near laminitis to be going out but can still be easily managed if she has to stay in.