Why do people want to own cobs?

ihatework

Visit site
Remind me again - why do people want to own cobs?
S :D

You bored?!

I recently got one, my first ever. I'm doomed to eternity. HHO Admin even get really irrate if I refer to him as a P-Pony (as in of irish traveller origin).

In comparison to my regular tb/sporthorse types here are the benefits of PP's ...

1) They do not cost ££££ to feed. In fact you can leave them in a bare field and they are better off for it.
2) They don't seem to give 2 hoots about all the flies, no lumps, bumps or diva moments
3) when they get a whopping great kick that would have a wussy sporthorse pumped full of AB's and bute and waving a sick note, the PP's just need a quick hose and back to work good as new
4) They appear to have excellent 4WD, offroading on a PP is more fun than I ever imagined

Big-beastie

New User
Visit site
how many cobs do you see doing "proper" affiliated competition? Im not talking low level dressage, I mean PROPER competition. Advanced eventing, grade a show jumpers, advanced dressage? No hairy cobs there! Theyre usefull to riding schools and for novices and for pulling carts. Not really youre sporty type of horse They have their place and its not being owned by me.

those of you offended by the send them to france and eat them post surely you can see thats a joke, if not, you take this too seriously!
I depends on what you think a "Proper competition" is personally I think Route De Poisson is more of a competion, true horse power isn't all about jumping coloured polls and pretty horse dancing in bling, Ride a real horse ride a draught.:D

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I depends on what you think a "Proper competition" is personally I think Route De Poisson is more of a competion, true horse power isn't all about jumping coloured polls and pretty horse dancing in bling, Ride a real horse ride a draught.:D

I don't like people mentioning heavy horses in my anti-cob threads, thank you.
For some reason it makes me look over my shoulder. ;)

Spudlet

Visit site
I do need a theme for the showman class ;)

With that song 'What's that coming over the hill' song for music....

[Nb....Tongue in cheek before I flamed lmao. I adore this horse and think the world of him :) ]

I used to have a rider's eye video of me and a cob GALLOPING on the beach set to that song, shame I don't know where it is!:D

blitznbobs

Visit site
Cos they are so much more beautiful than other types. Their personalities are huge And they DO everything... without trying to kill you (Unless they're the welsh kind so if you're suicidal you always have that choice). THey are so cuddly too... I personally don't understand anyone who buys a tb or an arab they have no personality and are so flighty that you just sit there avoiding sideways movement and you can't 'get on' with the business of riding for pleasure or competition. I've always owned cobs (usually welsh) and have only ever had one horse that wasn't a cob - and I was given him - and he was a straight gelderlander x something else and really although technically he was a warmblood LOOKED like a gelderlander so is kinda a VERY BIG cob...(17.2)

Blitz

blitznbobs

Visit site
Originally Posted by glitterfuzz
how many cobs do you see doing "proper" affiliated competition? Im not talking low level dressage, I mean PROPER competition. Advanced eventing, grade a show jumpers, advanced dressage? No hairy cobs there! Theyre usefull to riding schools and for novices and for pulling carts. Not really youre sporty type of horse They have their place and its not being owned by me.

those of you offended by the send them to france and eat them post surely you can see thats a joke, if not, you take this too seriously!

And how many riders compete at that level? Probably less than 1 %. Having ridden at that level (grand prix dressage) I don't particularly want to go back there... and as I've decided to have a go at showing (hopefully at top level).. I've chosen to show - A big beautiful COB...

Blitz

Elsbells

Visit site
Someone is obviously bored again!

I have a cob because I’m a novice rider and have only just learnt to trot, so a cob is appropriate!
See…….
RP6_07806.jpg

Cracking!!! PMSL!!

Spudlet

Visit site
+++PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - This is not a serious thread, but is tongue-in-cheek - PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ENDS+++

:D

ilovecobs

Visit site
I will never understand it.
They are fat, lazy, hairier than Bigfoot, and usually bad tempered.
Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?

I love my show cob :D and if they are such a jolty ride i wander why so many people love hunting on them :p

this said, i do enjoy riding other horses on my farm, WB's, TB's but i wouldnt buy one myself :) and i couldnt be doing with a hairy cob, i love my clippers lol

Theresa_F

Visit site
I don't like people mentioning heavy horses in my anti-cob threads, thank you.
For some reason it makes me look over my shoulder

Like this?

FarraJumping.jpg

Miss Farra Clydesdale, aged six doing the 2'6 - A grade A SJ in a carthorse body:D Who says big girls can't get a move on?

As to cobs, well they do this

StinkysfirstWorkingCob4.jpg

and three days later diagnoise you with cancer - a true all round talented animal.

Stinky is no slouch, but is also 99.9% sensible. He looks after his rider, will go very carefully with my ten year old niece and then turn into a frisky ride for the 15 year old.

For me, they gypsy cob is the master jack of all trades which is why they are now the breed for me, unless it is a clydesdale.

jodie :)

Visit site
my first loan horse was a cob and he taught me so much just in 6 months! they really teach you to ride properly and are safe (for the majority of times) plus they can be great hunters, jumpers and dressage horses, so i think your statement is a unfair tbh. it's up to people's personal taste really. i don't particularly like cobs, but i can appreciate other people's opinions of them :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
don't understand it myself-like riding a square wheeled bike :D

if you want hardy, go native (not necessarily of this country...)

wouldnt give paddock room to a WB either *runs and hides*

ilovecobs

Visit site
Someone is obviously bored again!

I have a cob because I’m a novice rider and have only just learnt to trot, so a cob is appropriate!
See…….
RP6_07806.jpg

Nice cob! :D wish i had the guts to do something fun like that with mine, god forbid she hurts her legs for showing... (i dont half annoy myself with the worrying lol)
Goes to show, cobs can do anything!

loubymay

Visit site
I love cobs - I own 2.

Bella is 24 and has NEVER been lazy - she is far from it haha - she is full of energy - has a fantastic personality - she is a fun safe ride not a plod and will still mess around and be a challenge at times but most of the time i find it hard to stop her - she is the best horse i have ever owned. I sed to have a tb and she was awful - i like a bit of a push on a horse otherwise i feel like im not doing owt - yes i have to use leg but for me owning cobs for the last 3 years it just comes naturally to me now :)

So i went out and bought a pintaloosaxcob - wow he's amazing the cheekiest little thing ive ever seen haha - hes amazing

I wouldn't swap for anything - i still love other horses as they can also be stunning but to me a good cob with the energy that my 2 have is the best thing ever =D

Its all down to preference as with anything - i can see how some people think they are lazy etc as i have seen plenty that are - one i used to ride u couldn't tell when he'd gone from trot to canter he was that slow haha but u can find lazy horses in any type of horse :) depends how much u work with a horse =D x

Jake10

Visit site
I don't have a preference as long as the horse can do what I want. Though I do find that a cob can be nice and ploddy for beginners but that same cob can also do XC etc with a more experienced rider. I have yet to meet a Tb/warmblood that is capable of this (barring the 2 elderly ones I loaned- probably because they were elderly :rolleyes: ).

Also find that only a cob can pull off a mowhawk :D:D

Leah3horses

Visit site

A joke is meant to be funny. Not vicious and cruel.

Spudlet

Visit site
A joke is meant to be funny. Not vicious and cruel.

Why do people care about this so much?:confused:

You (using you in the general sense) have your horse. You love your horse. You have loads of fun with your horse. You and your horse can do what you want to do.

Why does it matter if some eejit on the internet likes, dislikes, rates, or does not rate, your horse?

Comments like 'cobs are for novices' show a clear lack of knowledge and experience, but how does that affect anyone but the person who lacks that knowledge? Feel sorry for them if you must, but why get offended?

hackedoff

Visit site
I got mine cos I didnt want to go very far very fast...

100_0781.jpg

Thats mine coming 12th out of 30 in a 40 mile Endurance ride, the others finishing before and after him were mainly Arabs

I didnt want something versatile either

brickenshowing1.jpg

Doing well at showing a few years ago.

We might even try dressage now he has calmed down (hes 20!)

GrabbedFrame6.jpg

Last edited:

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
I will never understand it.
They are fat, lazy, hairier than Bigfoot, and usually bad tempered.
Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?

this is either a wind-up or you haven't a clue about cobs! they are not my favourite type but would never write the nonsense that you have written. i suggest you take time out ant visit the Royal Welsh on the wednesday, your opinion might change or maybe not so vitriolic towards cobs!

Mrs B

Visit site
Rosie, I think you'll find that Shil's tongue was SO firmly in her cheek (back in about 1997 when this thread started) that she won't be able to use one of these: :p without first undergoing surgery... :D

Theresa_F

Visit site
Rosie, I think you'll find that Shil's tongue was SO firmly in her cheek (back in about 1997 when this thread started) that she won't be able to use one of these: without first undergoing surgery...

Actually, I would suggest that it is so firmly in cheek that she probably has it so far back down the throat that she could lick her bottom if she wished to:p

I think I will send her Stinky and Farra as punishment for a weekend.

Spudlet

Visit site
Actually, I would suggest that it is so firmly in cheek that she probably has it so far back down the throat that she could lick her bottom if she wished to:p

HahahahaHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!:D

And ewwww:p

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

I'm not commenting on your vile anatomical nasturtiums.
I would never be seen in the company of some carthorse either.

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
what have nasturtiums got to do with anything- perhaps Shilasdair should be banned for her foul language and insults towards cobs- every other thread and posters are being so, and t hey are not half as vile-----lol!!!!