Why do people want to own cobs?

Leah3horses

Visit site
Why do people care about this so much?:confused:

You (using you in the general sense) have your horse. You love your horse. You have loads of fun with your horse. You and your horse can do what you want to do.

Why does it matter if some eejit on the internet likes, dislikes, rates, or does not rate, your horse?

Comments like 'cobs are for novices' show a clear lack of knowledge and experience, but how does that affect anyone but the person who lacks that knowledge? Feel sorry for them if you must, but why get offended?

I wasn't refering to the OP..I'm far too familiar with her 'sense of humour' to bother..this might strike some of you on here as an alien concept but some of us ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT HORSES IN GENERAL, whoever they belong to, or whatever type they are... I find 'jokes' about horse slaughter sick. And if a person is going to make 'jokes' about killing horses then others have the right to point out it was anything but funny.

I remember why I haven't come on here for years now...I'd much rather spend my time with my horses than waste time reading rehashed egotistical yet childish ****.

LauraPD

Visit site
Cobs can be extreemly good comnpetition horses as well as all-rounders. My cob has competed in dressage upto novice level, hunter trials 3'-3'3, and showjumping, and is nearly always placed. They have better rythm than many other breeds, and wouldn't change him for the world.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Would`nt have anything else,but mine is trimmed to within an inch of it`s life,never allowed to disgrace herself by being the black hairey lump within,no,no...shiney black and bald.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Actually I'm in the market for a nice cob :)
For my OH to hack and do a spot of dressage on at prelim level, and for me to hunt. A safe and cheerful chap between 15.2 and 16.2 is what I'm looking for.
I also have a very flashy TB, but I can't hunt him and my OH can't ride him as he's too sharp, but a nice cob would be a lovely addition to our family!

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Why do people want to own cobs???

Because according to this forum no-one over 9 stone should be seen on anything other than a HW maxi-cob or a shire horse!!!!!!! :D

SVMel

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I can't believe how long this thread has been going! Is it a world record yet lol???!!!!!! :D :D :D

58 pages and counting......

Theresa_F

Visit site
Farra, Stinky, Hovis and shils - aahhh! How sweet! Anyone got a camera?!

Farra can't wait and Stinky would like to be groomed please. I wish I could see Shil's face at the thought of the three of them coming for a visit!

Honestly I think she would love riding these three, apart from not wanting to be seen dead on something with built in leg warmers.:)

Silverspring

Visit site
Couldn't agree more, cobs are rubbish, why would anyone want one?! ;)

I feel I need to add a winky smiley as HHO lack in humour only too often these days

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ehmm, I'm not sure you'd wanna call my cob "lazy" especially if you fed him up a bit and then went hunting on him!! LOL.

I have a cob coz I'm a leisure rider and they're mega easy to do, can live out or in, are usually pretty predictable i.e. I know when he's not gonna do something ;) - plus they're well up to weight and can be ridden by most members of the family, as well as being able to turn their hand to dressage (might look funny with feathers flying around but by golly they can do it if they please to); jumping, TREC, riding school work, or whatever.

Plus temperamentally they are generally more user-friendly than your TB or WB and so much better suited to the weekend rider.

Visit site
Why do I own a cob?

Because they are more reliable, more sturdy and are less likely to get all of the lameness problems these finer horses get! IMO you can also have the most fun with a cob! :)

TallyHo123

Visit site
I like some cobs, I bought a 3 year old cob as a project and he was such a lovely horse but I couldn't have one as my 'proper' horse.
I don't know how to explain it, there just to 'heavy' for me, I know what I'm trying to say but can't word it haha!
They are beautiful but I love my TB's!

eirewhisper

Visit site
Very funny thread :rolleyes: obviously another WUM!

As to why do I love owning one, well, they're intelligent (smarter than a lot of people really!) learn really quickly and can turn their hoof to pretty much anything. Easy to keep, they rarely go lame and dont lose their shoes every week or need kept in just because it rains. Yes-I own a set of regularly used clippers and have a fatty paddock but it's a small price to pay for a sweet cob who's so much fun and will gallop flat out across fields with me or do a beautiful controlled obedient dressage test and get very good marks.

Maybe not everyones cuppa but we're all entitled to our opinion :D

Crackajack

Visit site
I agree ^^^^^
I own my own clippers and get regular use out of them (They are broke at the minute pmsl) and i have to ensure he doesn't turn into a fat hairy beast but even if he did i would still love him...
:D

mycobs=myworld

Visit site
not everyone likes fine horses, i own three cobs and i would say one of them is boring or slow whatever everyone else has said about them they are alll forward going with hearts of gold they are not bad tempered and respect everyone they are good doers in winter because they get VERY HAIRY:), i love this so much, there very trust worthy and dont s*** thereselfs at silly things cobs are amazing do not ever criticise the cob!

noggin667

Visit site
Very funny thread :rolleyes: obviously another WUM!

As to why do I love owning one, well, they're intelligent (smarter than a lot of people really!) learn really quickly and can turn their hoof to pretty much anything. Easy to keep, they rarely go lame and dont lose their shoes every week or need kept in just because it rains. Yes-I own a set of regularly used clippers and have a fatty paddock but it's a small price to pay for a sweet cob who's so much fun and will gallop flat out across fields with me or do a beautiful controlled obedient dressage test and get very good marks.

Maybe not everyones cuppa but we're all entitled to our opinion :D

Ditto this 100% :D

Hutchlou

Visit site
Someone is obviously bored again!

I have a cob because I’m a novice rider and have only just learnt to trot, so a cob is appropriate!
See…….
RP6_07806.jpg

Ha ha! Love it JoBo!! I'd make a home for a cob any day of the week!

EAST KENT

Visit site
My favs because you can turn a great scruffy hairey into a thing of beauty with some clever clipping and trimming...in fact make a silk purse out of a sow`s ear!Very satisfying.

narkymare

Visit site
haha my cob is king of the field so no injuries - he is loving, cheeky, fun and generally sooooooooooooo not boring - hes barefoot, hardy and my liitle boy - why do i love my cob - cos hes bloody goeorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparkles

Visit site
Because I cannot honestly say I'd trust any of the other horses here to do what I do with the cobbies. Like today, Hairy and Dukey [hogged cob] out in their field which is very steep at one end but flat at the other. About a 10min walk from the yard too and the cattle were blocking bringing them in, so decided to ride them in their field as they were instead. Bareback, as they were, no tack...and they both schooled foot perfect just as they would normally, even with the other in their with them. Walk trot canter, everything as normal :) And faultless :)

Love them!

Megan_T

Visit site
I wasn't refering to the OP..I'm far too familiar with her 'sense of humour' to bother..this might strike some of you on here as an alien concept but some of us ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT HORSES IN GENERAL, whoever they belong to, or whatever type they are... I find 'jokes' about horse slaughter sick. And if a person is going to make 'jokes' about killing horses then others have the right to point out it was anything but funny.

I remember why I haven't come on here for years now...I'd much rather spend my time with my horses than waste time reading rehashed egotistical yet childish ****.

Oh crikey, pleeeeease get off your soapbox...

Do you honestly believe that this forum is full of people who don't care about horses? That's genius that is. How did all we people meet here? We did very well! Seeing as it's an alien concept to us. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Horses being slaughtered viciously, yes - not funny. But I believe the original comment was made in jest and with regards to eating horses as meat. It might be an "alien concept" to you, but people do actually DO that. I do very much hope that you're a vegetarian and would stick up for cows and chickens in much the same way - otherwise it's just unfair in my opinion :D Oh and by the way, even though you state to prefer spending time with your horses (very noble) than read our childish dribble..that didn't stop you reading through this thread though did it? TTFN.

Anyway, rant over - that post rather got under my skin.

Love this thread and can't believe I've only just come across it! Have laughed all the way through! :D