Why do people want to own cobs?

Nimrodell

Visit site
So how many have horses than have won first in a 5* event, won at dressage and won at a major showing championship under saddle and in hand ?
MY Cob did, he also hunted and would jump a 5 bar gate.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Visit site
So how many have horses than have won first in a 5* event, won at dressage and won at a major showing championship under saddle and in hand ?

OMG! You have a horse that has won a 5* event?!?

My horse has competed 2* (I haven't - LOL), and I hope one day that my youngster in my wildest dreams may be 4* quality (again, not with me on board.....).

What is this Nirvana that I could reach with a coloured cob that is a 5* event......?

Luci07

Visit site
OMG! You have a horse that has won a 5* event?!?

My horse has competed 2* (I haven't - LOL), and I hope one day that my youngster in my wildest dreams may be 4* quality (again, not with me on board.....).

What is this Nirvana that I could reach with a coloured cob that is a 5* event......?

Ahh... do you think she possibly meant 5* as in top level event?! that was how I read it.

Love that this post has been raised again... this must get the post for "most firmly tongue in cheek" post..

Paddy-Wac :)

Visit site
I think you'll find that this right here is where the cliche of riders being snobbish comes from. It doesn't take a genius to work out that this is one of the BIGGEST generalizations made. Cobs are not sluggish - I dare you to come and try mine! And for the most part are genuine and affectionate, perfect for anyone. And although you do not see any cobs at top events, I doubt that any of the riders would have got to that stage without a 'sloth'. Neither would the horses in actual fact, seeing as your precious Tb's and Warmbloods were bred with those horses that should be sent to France to be eaten.
I can see that this may have been said as a joke, but you can't expect people to take it as one when it's such a ridiculous statement.

Oh and has anyone heard of Clippers??!!! Horses don't have to be hairy :p
xx

begentle

New User
Visit site
I haven't read all these replys . lifes to short .I hope this was tongue in cheek but just in case it wasn't . I own Lusitano's so not exactly cobs , but who ever looks on any any horse and judges him by his looks is a shallow and sad individual who has never truelly known the love and individual personality from a horse , no matter what breed .I can only guess this OP is a young person who hasn't lived long enough to learn lifes valuable lessons.NEVER judge a book by its cover , colour or size....It's how the words are put to together inside that makes a beautiful story.

Pacey

Visit site
I will never understand it.
They are fat, lazy, hairier than Bigfoot, and usually bad tempered.
Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?
S :D

You certainly don't bring out the best traits in a horse then, do you! lol

LeneHorse

Visit site
Let's see if we can reach 1000 posts by the end of the year. Come on people!

My problem is that my horse has the personality of a cob but doesn't really look like one. So people say 'what a lovely horse' and then it barges over the top of them to reach a tiny scrap of haylage that's been dropped in the yard. A constant source of embarrassment!

Let's have more comments, the more trivial the better!:D

dobbin27

Visit site
300 kilo or 500 kilo both are gonna hurt one hell of a lot if sat on you lol

I know.. but this morning I don't like my cobbiest cob very much.

He has spent most of it bullying the farrier. The nice kind farrier that is happy to come at the crack of dawn before I go to work, and says much nicer things to my ungrateful cob than I do, and doesn't moan about my crappy tea making..

And the poor farrier did comment that if he had been trying to take a shoe off an ungrateful TB, he might have stood a chance, but because my cob has four very chunky legs at his widely spread corners.. and decided to use every ounce of his tractor like form to protest about it. He didn't.

I'm sure I'll love him again tomorrow

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yeah c'mon, 1000!!!!!!

Anyone tried cob-wrestling??? I gave it a go just this morning when Harv tried to run (well, more like slowly flatten all in his path like a steamroller) out the gate! Lucky had M's leadrope so made a leap for his neck - it's so big and thick was like running into a brick wall! Thank goodness for humongous hairy mane for grabbage! Try doing THAT with a hatrack of a tb!!!! Pah!!!!! Well, firstly you wouldn't catch it........ :D:D:D:D:D:D;);););););)

Pacey

Visit site
Trying for 1000!

Have you ever noticed cobs have the habit of taking the inside line during the mad half hours?

38405_1576784538812_1211567069_31656243_3926380_n.jpg

LeneHorse

Visit site
Trying for 1000!

Have you ever noticed cobs have the habit of taking the inside line during the mad half hours?

He's very active. I suspect his big trot is out-pacing the ones that are cantering. But don't worry, he'll soon stop for a nice grassy snack in typical cob style .
PS can I have the grey behind him please??

Need more posts!!

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Well I am\ offended by the comements by the op.
1 my coloured cob is far from ploddy
2\ hes NOT lazy
3) yes a bit hairy

4) Mot nasty temperment/
I suggest she goes and rides a cob.

I cant stand Arabs but I dont go around saying nasty things about them.

Get a life¬¬

chessy

Visit site
My mare isn't a traditional cob, but an Ardennes crossed with a cobby type, she was sold to me as "a cob" just because she's a bit chunky!

One of the best things about her is that if I can't ride her for any reason - i.e. 2 weeks this time because of the bad weather - When I eventually do get back on, she doesn't bat an eyelid. Not fresh or fizzy in the slightest, just the same ol' Rosie!
Of course, this might not be true for all horses, just in my experience.

My first horse was a 17.1hh ISH, he used to eat me out of house and home but was still hard to keep weight on, he'd be fresh after 1 or 2 days of not riding/lungeing, and if I fell off it was a long way to the ground!

I'm so much happier with my "cob" :D

Natch

Visit site
Well I am\ offended by the comements by the op.
1 my coloured cob is far from ploddy
2\ hes NOT lazy
3) yes a bit hairy

4) Mot nasty temperment/
I suggest she goes and rides a cob.

I cant stand Arabs but I dont go around saying nasty things about them.

Get a life¬¬

Blimey gal you came to the thread late :eek:

Your keyboard appears to like /'s, doesn't it? ;)

Pacey

Visit site
Very cunning cob in the background ....scoff the grass while the arab distracts the doofus with the camera :D

This is my favourite sequence...I'm sure she thought I was going to try and steal the strand of grass out of her mouth, you can see it in her eye!

38175_1568729977453_1211567069_31634680_1875729_n.jpg

38175_1568730017454_1211567069_31634681_332131_n.jpg

nancytango

New User
Visit site
how many cobs do you see doing "proper" affiliated competition? Im not talking low level dressage, I mean PROPER competition. Advanced eventing, grade a show jumpers, advanced dressage?
i had an amazing cobby pony. he was new forest/welsh c and in the 3 years i owned him he qualified BD novice, elementary and medium national finals. he qualified hoys, got 2nd at poys and had £1000 notional bsja. he also had 7 double clears BE novice, and 2 **. however fast and exited he could get he was always safe and there was never any chance of falling off of him, you could put an experienced rider on and send them round a foxhunter, but you could also put a 5 year old on him and send them round a 2ft course :) he has now been sold to spain where he is continuing his success with a very inexperienced 8 year old girl and her cousin who is 6. i now have a warmblood who despite being fantastic is very unpredictable and xc too bold, (and she actually cant gallop) in the year i have owned her i have already fallen off twice and had to go to hospital with serious concusion :( i would have a cob any day the good ones can be amazing, i think some people are too busy thinking about how good they are that they dont notice how good other people are :)