Why does everyone hate coloureds??

alainax

Visit site
good grief! so many disaparaging cow comments! 'Cows' are not black and white either people, they are all colours!

dragiron.jpg

wow... now this is a cool cow! :D

DJ

Visit site
Im jealous too...he is a lil stunner!!! ♥♥♥♥

Thank you, he is gorgeous, and has the most gentle, straight forward, easy going personality to match. He`s a little bit green as he`s only 3 bless him (and a young 3 according to my EDT), but with out a doubt the best £300 i ever spent :)

Marydoll

Visit site
Ive just bought a 17.3 kwpn x tb skewbald and he is stunning with the most fabulous movement and presence who jumps like a stag and loves xc, hacks alone and in company in traffic or open fields.i never thought about colour really before as long as they did the job i wanted them to do, but having taken him on loan first he has been admired every time we went out anywhere, i cant see why anyone would look past a horse that does what they want, because the colour isnt right. That said i absolutely love mahogany bays and have 2 of them and a dark bay as well

tiga71

Visit site
Not everyone can have the good taste to love a coloured;)

I never meant to get a coloured, I just wanted a horse and the rescue I volunteered at offered me Izzy. Now I am a total convert.

DSC_778811amto12NoonCamera2_zps84340092.jpg

CM1_4934_Jumping1pmto2pm_zps4448e15f.jpg

looker.jpg

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have no problem with coloured horses at all, I would prefer a solid colour but everyone is different thank goodness!! My only issue is the fact that coloured horses became very fashionable which resulted in many poor quality horses being bred and sold for a lot of money purely for their colour. Also, I assume for financial gain, coloured stallions have been introduced to wild native herds to produce coloured foals and I hate that this has happened and compromised our native breeds. I would never choose to buy a coloured horse but I wouldn't not buy one if it was perfect in every other way. When I was a child a coloured horse could be bought for next to nothing or even given away as nobody wanted them, it's the 'in fashion' situation that I really dislike.

LynH

Visit site
I worked in the office of two large yards in Ireland and had to filter potential liveries at both for coloureds. I hadn't really come across gypsy cobs much in England at that point so had been surprised that they would be turned down from livery yards. That said I don't like coloured cobs or coloured WBs with a lot of white and also wouldn't buy a grey (I struggle enough with iron grey loan pony's hairs but she a short term loan so I don't have to consider the long term issue of melanomas).

Since having my own stables I have often been asked if I would do livery and have now come to the realisation that I wouldn't want a coloured cob or solid coloured gypsy cob as a livery. Honestly I just wouldn't want to look at one out of the window everyday. There are a lot of travellers locally and I know people assume land with coloured cobs on it is owned by travellers even if they aren't. People may think it's wrong to dislike a horse on colour but they are expensive to keep so why not have a colour you like.

HihoGinger

Visit site
Not everyone can have the good taste to love a coloured;)

I never meant to get a coloured, I just wanted a horse and the rescue I volunteered at offered me Izzy. Now I am a total convert.

DSC_778811amto12NoonCamera2_zps84340092.jpg

CM1_4934_Jumping1pmto2pm_zps4448e15f.jpg

looker.jpg

What a stunning, stunning mare! A very good example of a coloured IMHO.

I never wanted a coloured, or a cob, but fell in love with the chap in my avatar as soon as I rode him. He has too much white, but has, I believe a gorgeous head, is very nicely put together, and I love the bones of him. What anyone else thinks is by the by to me :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Now that skewbald Arab is my kind of horse not too much white, I can cope with that much, who is that Faracat?

He's called Dreams R Made.

gallery_2414_1302_70426.jpg

The top pic is not a sabino.

Dreams R Made has both Tobiano and Sabino. The Piebald is a Black sabino. :)
I wonder if his Aberdeen Angus colouring is also offensive...

good grief! so many disaparaging cow comments! 'Cows' are not black and white either people, they are all colours!
Very true. I suspect that cattle have the same two pigments that horses do - eumelanin (black) and phaeomelanin (chestnut).

Jazmyn101

Visit site
I'm not sure why people don't like coloureds :( I love my blue and white ISH! Even though she is moody she is too pretty to sell lol! My least favourite colours are bays as they are too common and cremellos because they are a bit freaky IMO :p my favourite are palominos and blue and whites x

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
MM - He was an adorable foal and from the smile on your face, he's a great riding horse now he's all grown up. :)

ETA, I'm surprised by all the double dilute hate/dislike. Given how popular single dilutes are, a true top quality double dilute stallion is a thing of rare beauty and I like the ethereal look DD's have.

Last edited:

tiga71

Visit site
What a stunning, stunning mare! A very good example of a coloured IMHO.

Thanks but actually he is a gelding. He came with the name Izzy even though it is a girl's name - no idea why! He was a big fat lump when I first got him but he is fab now.

Thanks for the other nice comments but I don't know how to multi quote.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Oooops sorry Izzy :eek:

Im actually not that struck on pale colours so Palominos, greys, cremellos etc are not my personal cup of tea. I love blacks, bays (esp bright bays with really dark points), chestnuts etc but mybheart lies with coloureds.
My dream horse would be an 18hh evenly marked piebald Drum Horse stallion dripping in feather and mane **swoon** :D

only_me

Visit site
I Love her head, very unique and such a lovely eye :)
but :eek3: at that tail! That would give me nightmares - lovely and thick but I could not even begin to manage it! I would imagine copious amounts of comfort fabric softener would be needed to make it show ready!

Give me a coloured any day, but it MUST have a black tail :p

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Lots of breeds had more colours than they do now for example PREs you can see them in historical paintings but for some reason they became unfashionable and were bred out so I don't see an issue putting it back in. I also don't think you can call bays boring... nothing more stunning than a well turned out bay gleeming like mahogany.

tiga71

Visit site
Doesn't that picture of Izzy just sum up what riding should be about? love it

That was our first ever hedge and he was very excited. He then bucked big style, my friend said she saw his back feet above my head and this was the pic just after the buck. Ignore the Princess Leah hairstyle but I did manage to stay on. I always like a good stupid face picture;)

DSC_779111amto12NoonCamera2_zps9613371e.jpg

fuze

Visit site
I Love her head, very unique and such a lovely eye :)
but :eek3: at that tail! That would give me nightmares - lovely and thick but I could not even begin to manage it! I would imagine copious amounts of comfort fabric softener would be needed to make it show ready!

Give me a coloured any day, but it MUST have a black tail :p

Such sacrifices must be made, unfortunately... and he looks more like this ATM:

Tiger3_zpse525e70d.jpg

:eek:

He's glorious when he's clean... even if it is only once in a blue moon!!

Rose Folly

Visit site
I don't hate 'coloureds'. But I hate the terminology. Things have changed over the years. "When I was a gal" you had skewbalds, piebalds, strawberry roans, blue roans, paints (very rare in the 1950s) and duns. That was pretty much it. And as I remember it from my showing days (when it was almost impossible to get a skewbald pony, as I had, into the top 3 places), the colouring had to be very defined, and there had to be more of the colour than the white.

What we called coloured, or 'gipsy colours' were the wishy-washy vanner colours of which you see so many today. I know they are very popular now, and the steeds that bear those colours are in many cases salt of the earth, but I still look yearningly after the occasional true piebald or skewbald with big patches of black or brown, almost like continents of the world, on them.

skint1

Visit site
I am a firm believer that a good horse is never a bad colour but as other posters have already said I strongly disagree with breeding where colour takes precedent over conformation and/or temperament. I have a piebald mare and I think she's beautiful, hardest thing is keeping the white bits white. My favourite bit of her markings is the splodge on her head which I think looks vaguely heart shaped :)
MaggieTrailer1_zps27e91d00.jpg