WWYD -Livery Issues

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You need to do what is right for you for the sake of your sanity! You've had the mare's welfare in mind all through this sorry saga in start contrast to the old owner. But I do agree with those who say be wary about giving/selling her back now. The owner does not care about the pony and is neglectful. Imagine how this pony might have ended up if she had been dumped on someone who did not take the care of her that you have done. The old owner won't have her back to look after her, she'll just leave her with the next person she can find.

It may feel easier in the short term to give her back to old owner (assuming she comes through with the money) but longer term when the immediate stress is long gone, you may wish you had secured her a better home. But having said all that, you've already done a great job, it's been a nightmare for you, and in the end you need to do what is right for you. x

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Oh yeah can see I'll be the bad guy just wait and see. Thats why I want to make sure I have everything correct before my name is dragged through the dirt.

If she tries a ranty post she will come out of it looking a lot worse! All you need to say is that the pony was abandoned with you and after extensive efforts to have her collected, even with the bills written off - the owner refused to engage with you so you had no choice but to start abandonemnt proceedings. She ignored these so pony became legally yours and you are not prepared to give her/sell her back now regardless of any money offered becasue you are not returning her to a neglectful owner. Then block and move on.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you. It doesn't feel like a good job to be honest. It feels like one massive mess. I only wanted a livery for a bit of company and someone to hack out with. I wish I'd never bothered :(
My neighbour had a similar but ended up getting rid of livery (not too difficult) and buying a cheap decent hacking companion for a nominal amount. She then got a sharer for the mare. Worked out well as sharer wasn't asked to pay lots (only shoes as I recall), but was there as hacking companion and did friends fuzzies at least 1 day a week giving her time off. meant friend had total control over what went on.

9tails

Visit site
My neighbour had a similar but ended up getting rid of livery (not too difficult) and buying a cheap decent hacking companion for a nominal amount. She then got a sharer for the mare. Worked out well as sharer wasn't asked to pay lots (only shoes as I recall), but was there as hacking companion and did friends fuzzies at least 1 day a week giving her time off. meant friend had total control over what went on.

This particularly pony seems more trouble than she's worth. In hindsight, the OP would have realised that the 25 mile distance would have made it difficult to have a reliable hacking buddy, never mind full responsibility of the beast.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Thank you. It doesn't feel like a good job to be honest. It feels like one massive mess. I only wanted a livery for a bit of company and someone to hack out with. I wish I'd never bothered :(
Well you've followed the right process with the abandonment notice and everything. It's so easy for outsiders to say "just dump it at her house ". But like you say , we are talking about an animal, not a used car! Just stay strong and do right by the pony , she is now legally yours and you can do what you want. I wouldn't have qualms about letting a reputable dealer have her, she would have every chance of ending up in a good home after that, instead of the neglect she's used to with the previous owner

atropa

Visit site
Op I'm so sorry that you've been through such a horrible ordeal when all you were looking for was a bit of company. I'm holding out hope that you got sorted today and when all this settles you can find someone to ride with in some shape or form.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

This is what I have done, bought Rigsby as a companion. He wasn't expensive, is potentially rideable to hack out with me on my 'proper' horse, is under my control and I have a few friends who would like to hack out with me but don't have hacking horses. I would rather that then have a livery. My horses are outside my back door and Mr Red is a very private person. Also, my arena would become rateable and cost thousands if I took money for a livery.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Any update OP?

Mare is still there this morning I'm afraid. (I've changed the padlocks on the gates now). Dealer still happy to collect on thursday and cover my feed/hay/damages costs.

Cleaned mares feet up and she was surprisingly well behaved. even got front feet in a trug of warm water and epsom salts for a few minutes each. She's really deep either side of her frog so harbouring lots of gunk. Got lots of purple spray in there so hopefully she is a bit more comfortable now. She's certainly alot less smelly this morning.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Mare is still there this morning I'm afraid. (I've changed the padlocks on the gates now). Dealer still happy to collect on thursday and cover my feed/hay/damages costs.

Cleaned mares feet up and she was surprisingly well behaved. even got front feet in a trug of warm water and epsom salts for a few minutes each. She's really deep either side of her frog so harbouring lots of gunk. Got lots of purple spray in there so hopefully she is a bit more comfortable now. She's certainly alot less smelly this morning.

Ive been watching this post and I'm so sorry you are going through it. I'm kind of glad she didn't collect the mare, obviously not for you, but hopefully the dealer will find her a nicer home. Roll on tomorrow x

dorsetladette

Visit site
In the fullness of time you will be able to look back on this and remember how you moved a mare away from an owner who didn't give a s&^% and to a new owner where she will be valued and time invested in her

Roll on tomorrow evening

Just realised tomorrow is Thursday - the days are all rolling into one at the moment.

Fjord

Visit site
I'm another who has been following this thread. It amazes me that an owner is willing to abandon their horse like that. OP, you have always had the horse's best interests at heart, it must have been a horrible situation but I think you have done a good job.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I hope Thursday rolls around quickly and the mare gets a new home with someone who wants her.

Maybe once the dealer has paid costs etc you can stretch to a bottle of Brasso as a parting gift for your livery, she'll need it to keep that neck of hers glowing.

LOL - I'll be stretching to a bottle of gin for me and a few ciders for OH. He's got some maintenance jobs lined up next weekend poor sod.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Been watching this from the start and I'm sure once this has all blown over you will also be really glad the horrid owner didn't actually pick her up! Fingers crossed the dealer can find her a lovely home where she will be loved and cherished.

I hope the owner feels ashamed, but from the sounds of it she won't be.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
You have done the right thing.

I only wanted a livery for a bit of company and someone to hack out with. I wish I'd never bothered :(

This makes me really sad to read. There are probably hundreds of people who would have chewed your arm off for this opportunity and been grateful for it, but as per usual the few odd crazies spoil it for the majority. Then people wonder why landlowners wont "share" what they have!

Visit site
LOL - I'll be stretching to a bottle of gin for me and a few ciders for OH. He's got some maintenance jobs lined up next weekend poor sod.
Blimey, you’ll both have earned it!
What an ordeal for you and for the horse. I really hope that it all ends well for you and her - you’ve both been dropped into a horrible situation and you deserve for something good to come out of it.

Tarragon

Visit site
I am another one who has been following this thread. It is shocking that there are people out there like your lady and I really feel for you. I am also pleased that the poor mare hasn't gone back to her and I think that you have coped surprisingly well.
You have earned your gin and your OH his cider. I hope that there mare ends up in a good home somewhere.