WWYD -Livery Issues

maisie06

Visit site
Honestley?? I would have it PTS and message her saying it broke it's leg going through the fencing and as you couldn't contact her it had to be done on humane grounds, It will cost you the knacker money but well worth it to be rid, no one is going to want such a pony and you'll be stuck with it trying to rehome it. I really feel for you, some people are just assholes.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Honestley?? I would have it PTS and message her saying it broke it's leg going through the fencing and as you couldn't contact her it had to be done on humane grounds, It will cost you the knacker money but well worth it to be rid, no one is going to want such a pony and you'll be stuck with it trying to rehome it. I really feel for you, some people are just assholes.

You would really do that? I have threaten to take it to the abattoir, and when repairing fencing in the p***ing rain I've ranted about it but when it came down to it I doubt I could actually do it. I know there are far worse things to happen to a horse than PTS (my parents helped a local rescue, we saw some sights) but ding just because of the owners actions doesn't sit right with me. In the grand scheme of things the hay/feed money is trivial. In a yard with routine and discipline I think pony would be totally different. I mean she didn't start off a fence wrecker when she first arrived!!

Hats off to you if you would actually go through with PTS - but I don't think I could rest easy knowing I had done that.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Keep up....

9tails

Visit site
Just to play devil's advocate, and I'm fully in agreement with the OP's decision, was there ever an agreement that the horse would be on full livery with you? Was she meant to come every day? Is she behind on her livery or is it the hay bill that she hasn't settled?

JulesRules

Visit site
Just another one sending moral support and hope all goes well with the dealer tomorrow.

I can't believe how common it is for people just to dump their horses and leave them for others to deal with. I've personally witnessed it twice and recently heard about another case from a friend. The two cases I've witnessed have luckily had happy endings ( One an abandonment notice followed by a new home and the 2nd the original owner agreeing to sell the pony on). I hope this mare has a happy ending too x

dorsetladette

Visit site
Just to play devil's advocate, and I'm fully in agreement with the OP's decision, was there ever an agreement that the horse would be on full livery with you? Was she meant to come every day? Is she behind on her livery or is it the hay bill that she hasn't settled?

It was agreed she would come 5 days a week and I would check pony for her the other 2 days.
Livery paid up to 30th Sept. Meant to be paid in 1st of month but sept was 2 weeks late without an explanation and had to be chased. Previous months have been late too. Owners feed ran out in June and hasn't been replaced since. Only a token feed but that adds up. I can't feed mine without hers as mare will break through the fencing.

It's the damage is the biggest problem. All the other issues separately would be workable as long as the owner would talk to me. But changing her number and not giving me her new one is just the nail in the coffin for me.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I'm another who has been watching and feel so sad for you and the mare. I hope the dealer finds a great home and you get an enormous gin!

I had a mare arrive on trial once, she went through every single piece of electric fencing i had. Phoned the owner straight away to collect her as I just couldn't have that where I was. I felt terrible though as really like the mare.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

Why is no one going to want such a pony?? An unfit coloured cob with poor conformation and bad ground manners about sums up my boy when I got him and he also had a (disclosed) fence wrecking habit when there was little grass, soon resolved with a stint at a yard with some strong mains electric fencing and never resurfaced after 12 years of ownership. The only other negative thing we have heard is she attacks sheep, which would not be a deal breaker for most people.

I recently bought a pony for my daughter and unfit coloured cobs with poor confirmation were fetching upwards of €1500 here at the time, if they were quiet to ride.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
What an experience. Really bugs me when people act like this since there are decent people out there looking for such a livery opportunity, but the crazies ruin it for everyone.

I hope the dealer can connect the pony with the right person. There really are some horses that behave much better with a person and an occupation. Best of luck for today.

honetpot

Visit site
I couldn't put the mare to sleep either, especially when it seems to be only just to spite the original owner :mad:
I don't think that is true. This animal would be difficult to rehome, it has issues and it goes through fencing, that's probably why it was abandoned anyway, even though the sales market has been strong over the summer. The low end market tends to mean that they get sold on frequently, and because it's a mare may end up being turned out with a stallion, to add to the already large problem of unwanted young stock.
I hope the dealer has a solution and good luck for today.

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
Hope it goes well today. You may feel a mixture of guilt as well as relief (any feeling of guilt is unwarranted but sometimes an emotion that creeps in), but you're doing right by the mare.