XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I predict that this ban will be similar to the laws on microchipping and the law on passports for horses. Only responsible owners will comply and everyone else will just carry on as they did. Until there is funding to uphold the laws that we have, nothing will change.

The difference is that everyone can see if a bully is walking round without a muzzle, so more likely to be reported. We don't know if a horse we see has a passport or is chipped.

meleeka

Visit site
The difference is that everyone can see if a bully is walking round without a muzzle, so more likely to be reported. We don't know if a horse we see has a passport or is chipped.

Who’s going to enforce it though? The police who can’t currently even manage to prosecute owners when the dog attacks someone?

IMO the huge problem of animal cruelty and fly grazing could be avoided if the police upheld our current laws regarding microchipping, but they just automatically pass anything animal related to the RSPCA.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Who’s going to enforce it though? The police who can’t currently even manage to prosecute owners when the dog attacks someone?

IMO the huge problem of animal cruelty and fly grazing could be avoided if the police upheld our current laws regarding microchipping, but they just automatically pass anything animal related to the RSPCA.
I've just been reading several reports of people being prosecuted for having dogs dangerously out of control, so it is being enforced in some places at least.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I've just been reading several reports of people being prosecuted for having dogs dangerously out of control, so it is being enforced in some places at least.

I do think, in the short term at least, police will take action as the outcome of a dog dangerously out of control is likely to be worse than a fly grazing horse.

meleeka

Visit site
I do think, in the short term at least, police will take action as the outcome of a dog dangerously out of control is likely to be worse than a fly grazing horse.

I will report back if anything happens to a friends old dog who would probably be classed as an XLB. She thinks, because she knows his breeding and he’s not an XLB, even though he looks like one, she doesn’t have to do anything. 🙄

The numbers who have applied for exemption do seem quite low, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I suspect there will be a lot of ads like this one, not chipped, not health checked, not an XLB even though dad was large 🙄

Last edited:

Morwenna

Visit site
The numbers who have applied for exemption do seem quite low, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I suspect there will be a lot of ads like this one, not chipped, not health checked, not an XLB even though dad was large 🙄
Accidental breeding so instead of doing the responsible thing and ending the pregnancy they decided to sell the puppies for £600 each, knowing they will very likely match the fairly loose definition of an XLB :rolleyes:

I keep seeing videos of XL Bullies being walked on a lead and muzzled with various heart-rending captions about it not being the life they wanted for their dog. As if being kept on a lead in public is the very worst thing that could ever happen to a dog.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I will report back if anything happens to a friends old dog who would probably be classed as an XLB. She thinks, because she knows his breeding and he’s not an XLB, even though he looks like one, she doesn’t have to do anything. 🙄

If mine even vaguely matched the description, I’d be doing the utmost to abide by the rules. I think it’s foolish to ignore it and bury your head in the sand. Saying that, I honestly don’t reckon the police are going to be picking up on dogs of type being walked without muzzles etc and who is going to walk with the certificate to hand? I suppose you could have it downloaded on your phone. I hope your friend‘s dog is ok.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
....for which there is government money available, £200 I believe?

Yes but that would mean they have to be responsible and do the decent thing and arrange PTS by a vet, or the other alternative would be keep the dog and abide by the regulations, which is what someone would do if they loved their pet.. many of these XL bully owners don’t !!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Don't like them at all. I haven't seen many, but in the last two days of hacking, I have seen three. All on lead and under control but they definitely have a disconcerting stare when they look at you.

Yesterday when we passed one, I squashed the horse into the trees on the other side of the trail while saying to Mr. Caol Ila, who was accompanying us on foot, "Oh, Jesus, it's one of those XL bully things." This one was giving us a particularly piercing, predatory look. My horse even hesitated and checked back with me, "Is this safe, mum?" And she is as dog-proof as any horse you will meet.

I think the owners heard me, lol. They gave us a look that was at once a little bit offended and a little bit embarassed.

Clodagh

Visit site
Don't like them at all. I haven't seen many, but in the last two days of hacking, I have seen three. All on lead and under control but they definitely have a disconcerting stare when they look at you.

Yesterday when we passed one, I squashed the horse into the trees on the other side of the trail while saying to Mr. Caol Ila, who was accompanying us on foot, "Oh, Jesus, it's one of those XL bully things." This one was giving us a particularly piercing, predatory look. My horse even hesitated and checked back with me, "Is this safe, mum?" And she is as dog-proof as any horse you will meet.

I think the owners heard me, lol. They gave us a look that was at once a little bit offended and a little bit embarassed.
I wonder if some of the ‘escape the ban’ bullies have ended up near you?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Carla Lane has got a temporary injunction so dogs in rescue do not have to be euthanised.
URGENT UPDATE FROM CARLA Carla Lane Animals in Need Liverpool FOR IMMEDIATE PUBLICATION:
On 19 December DEFRA updated the guidance in relation to the XL bully ban, to include a restriction on rescues to the effect that any dogs who came into a rescue after 31 October 2023 would not be eligible for an exemption application via a rescue who wished to keep that dog instead of euthanizing where they were not rehomed.
The law has not been changed but we have been granted some further time for this specific issue to be considered fully by the Court, which means that dogs placed in rescues after 31 October are safe from destruction or seizure FOR NOW

So in other words, these dogs can spend their life in kennels, and the rescues won't have space for other genuine rescue cases. :mad:

Nasicus

Visit site
Carla Lane has got a temporary injunction so dogs in rescue do not have to be euthanised.
URGENT UPDATE FROM CARLA Carla Lane Animals in Need Liverpool FOR IMMEDIATE PUBLICATION:
On 19 December DEFRA updated the guidance in relation to the XL bully ban, to include a restriction on rescues to the effect that any dogs who came into a rescue after 31 October 2023 would not be eligible for an exemption application via a rescue who wished to keep that dog instead of euthanizing where they were not rehomed.
The law has not been changed but we have been granted some further time for this specific issue to be considered fully by the Court, which means that dogs placed in rescues after 31 October are safe from destruction or seizure FOR NOW

So in other words, these dogs can spend their life in kennels, and the rescues won't have space for other genuine rescue cases. :mad:
Ah yes, Warehousing. Because everyone knows dogs really benefit from warehousing, especially ones of questionable breeding and temperament.

Equi

Visit site
Accidental breeding so instead of doing the responsible thing and ending the pregnancy they decided to sell the puppies for £600 each, knowing they will very likely match the fairly loose definition of an XLB :rolleyes:

I keep seeing videos of XL Bullies being walked on a lead and muzzled with various heart-rending captions about it not being the life they wanted for their dog. As if being kept on a lead in public is the very worst thing that could ever happen to a dog.
The mum is clearly pit type anyway so regardless of xlb the pups will be of type. They’re now of two types and very much in danger.

meleeka

Visit site
Surely breed specific legislation DOES work because all the breeds previously targeted are no longer issues? (Well for the English at least 🧐)

I think it works because there are less of the banned dogs, so the amount of them owned by idiots is also less. Where it doesn’t work, is when it’s a type, as it is now and was with pitbulls. A lot of them were re-labelled as XL Bullies or American Bulldogs, when in actual fact the owners didn’t really have a clue what breed they were. This is what’s happening already, there are a few ads for unregistered American Bulldogs that are still of a XLB type and clueless owners don’t realise they are the same thing.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The construct of separating american pitbulls, xlbullies, pocket bullies, American bulldogs, and yes, Staffordshire terriers, into distinct breeds is a slight of hand. They are all of a type originating from fighting, gripping, baiting dogs, and all have been responsible for multiple aggravated attacks. I don't see why they cannot all be covered under the same watch list. I don't think they are formalised "breeds" with registered stud books, etc., nor are they recognised by the Kennel Club (Staffies may be, I don't know). Also IMO the only reason English Bulldogs are not on that list is because they've been bred to such a deformed state that they are barely capable of breathing, let alone running and attacking.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
At least with Staffies, IME, they're smaller...but still a little ball of muscle that I wouldn't want to fight! Granted, I've only known a few and they were all rather mild and friendly. My previous landlord had one (she recently passed, and was older) and she was so, so, sweet. She was also a thorgougly socialized dog, so I imagine that helped!

Still though, there is just something about the bull types. Whether they're labeled XLB, PB, or whatever. There are many other breeds out there with a very strong bite, that were bred to bring down large game, or to be a guardian/protector that seemingly don't have this "switch" in them. I don't know if extreme dominance was bred into these dogs for fighting and they just take everyone as a challenge in the pursuit to be on top or what. Or if there is just some instinct in them to always fight for their life.

I know other breeds with dominant tendencies, and usually as long as you nip that and make things clear from day one, they respect it. Sometimes it's just basic stuff, like following through with every command and being consistent that does it.

You do get some extremes on other breeds of course, and the individual that just isn't wired right, but it's wayyy more than that with the XLB.