XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

meleeka

Visit site
At least with Staffies, IME, they're smaller...but still a little ball of muscle that I wouldn't want to fight! Granted, I've only known a few and they were all rather mild and friendly. My previous landlord had one (she recently passed, and was older) and she was so, so, sweet. She was also a thorgougly socialized dog, so I imagine that helped!

Still though, there is just something about the bull types. Whether they're labeled XLB, PB, or whatever. There are many other breeds out there with a very strong bite, that were bred to bring down large game, or to be a guardian/protector that seemingly don't have this "switch" in them. I don't know if extreme dominance was bred into these dogs for fighting and they just take everyone as a challenge in the pursuit to be on top or what. Or if there is just some instinct in them to always fight for their life.

I know other breeds with dominant tendencies, and usually as long as you nip that and make things clear from day one, they respect it. Sometimes it's just basic stuff, like following through with every command and being consistent that does it.

You do get some extremes on other breeds of course, and the individual that just isn't wired right, but it's wayyy more than that with the XLB.

I don’t think they are bad dogs at all, but purely a product of their upbringing. I’ve seen plenty of snappy toy breeds who aren’t happy dogs, but nobody cares about them because they are small and they are unlikely to kill anyone.

I’ve never met a Staffie that I didn’t like. I’ve only met one XLB type that I was nervous of, which was owned by someone who shouldnt be allowed to keep a goldfish, so not a fault with the breed.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I don’t think they are bad dogs at all, but purely a product of their upbringing. I’ve seen plenty of snappy toy breeds who aren’t happy dogs, but nobody cares about them because they are small and they are unlikely to kill anyone.

I’ve never met a Staffie that I didn’t like. I’ve only met one XLB type that I was nervous of, which was owned by someone who shouldnt be allowed to keep a goldfish, so not a fault with the breed.

They really arent. My dogs could be raised badly and they still wouldnt bite. These dogs hit maturity and they go from sweet natured to snapping and when they snap, people die.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Even the most badly abused dogs often, unfortunately, never fight back.

The dog that ripped a hole in my trousers out of fear/nerve was assessed for bitework before that ever happened and he nearly jumped the fence and ran away rather than bite the cushion that was offered to him by the helper. In his case, he had all the freedom in the world, never a cross word, left entirely to make all his own decisions.

It's either in them or it isn't. Like most things, there has to be something in there for you (whoever) to bring out.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I don’t think they are bad dogs at all, but purely a product of their upbringing.
Sorry, but XL bullies are much more than the product of their upbringing. They are a breed apart with their propensity to switch from being fine to full attack mode with zero warning.

Sure, some are owned by hard types who encourage the aggression , but there are far too many in ‘family’ homes with the same no warning attack switch.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I have no hesitation in saying I completely disagree with you in the case of these dogs overreacting to stimuli just like the one in skinnydippers link.
It’s frankly condescending to say it’s all bad owners in the face of this wave of attacks on people and other people animals.
When these dogs are triggered,
its not all upbringing Dram is hard wired to bring me stuff that’s his genetics XL bullies have unfortunate genetics.
It’s not the dogs fault but it is what it is.

Equi

Visit site
All dogs give a sign. Even if that sign is not normal growling/ears perked/stance etc. Akitas are notorious for “not giving any warning” but they do. You just won’t see it in time. Same for all dogs. The problem with the bully breeds is they get into the red zone and they do NOT stop without major interventions.

planete

Visit site
Dpg numbers also shot up in the past few years not just xls but all breeds.

if people comply with the law or not its up to them, histpry shows significant law changes when people dont comply. The goverment seem to have ignored a huge amount of research and public feeling on this (petitions with 20 times in favpur of not banning them for exampe) so good luck to them trying to enforce it lol.

Many vet groups are now stating they wont pts healthy xls as is there legal right.
They are NOT banned. There is nothing to stop people keeping them if they comply with the new requirements.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Just saw a post about a man with an 8stone, cropped ear bully who he “rescued” a year ago and because he can’t run loose on the beach he is moving to Scotland in his campervan and he can’t afford to feed himself as it’s the fault of the “ban” that has forced him into this .. The man is only 9stone so let’s hope this dog doesn’t turn nasty as he won’t stand a chance and nor would anyone else… lucky Scotland

maisie06

Visit site
Who’s going to enforce it though? The police who can’t currently even manage to prosecute owners when the dog attacks someone?

IMO the huge problem of animal cruelty and fly grazing could be avoided if the police upheld our current laws regarding microchipping, but they just automatically pass anything animal related to the RSPCA.
In an ideal world this useless country would incorparate animal welfare into the police remit like it is in the US with instant powers of removal of animals, arrest and public prosecution, instead of leaving welfare upto a political outfit dressed as a charity.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
In an ideal world this useless country would incorparate animal welfare into the police remit like it is in the US with instant powers of removal of animals, arrest and public prosecution, instead of leaving welfare upto a political outfit dressed as a charity.
Or at the very least employ some dog wardens. Any idea why you don't have them?

Fellewell

Visit site
This legislation will fail. Here we are 20 odd years after the Pit Bull terrier ban and yet they are still here in one guise or another. This is largely due to people like Ms. Lane and people who are shipping them up to Scotland (is someone keeping a body count at the motorway services)
There will always be someone who wants a menacing looking dog and there will always be a money-grubbing a-hole willing to breed it for them. And now it seems the breeding of these dogs is more lucrative than drug dealing. I dread to think what they'll think of next, just hope they remember that it didn't exactly work out for Siegfried and Roy.
Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it, PSI and all.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The police can act in an animal case anytime if a police officer sees an offence they can act on it and sometimes they do.
I had them offer to take a case if the RSPCA did not in the it all got shorted out without being a case .
The current dependence on the RSPCA is unhealthy I have saying that for years.
However with XL bully legislation the police will have to get on with it it’s not a job for a welfare charity especially as they don’t support it .

meleeka

Visit site
The police can act in an animal case anytime if a police officer sees an offence they can act on it and sometimes they do.
I had them offer to take a case if the RSPCA did not in the it all got shorted out without being a case .
The current dependence on the RSPCA is unhealthy I have saying that for years.
However with XL bully legislation the police will have to get on with it it’s not a job for a welfare charity especially as they don’t support it .

They’ll seize if a dog is out of control in a public place and I’m sure that will continue, but will they stop someone who’s just walking along with an unmuzzled XLB, or advertising one for sale or a litter of puppies? I very much doubt they will have the resources for it.

Clodagh

Visit site
Or at the very least employ some dog wardens. Any idea why you don't have them?
Because have you seen the preceding hysteria about the thought that anyone should have to pay a dog license. I’m astounded that so many people on here I would have thought were pro are anti. Bizarre. To my mind every tool in the box that may help should be utilised.

JBM

Visit site
No, but I think we should. It is law for dogs to be microchipped, but that’s not enforced either.
I think it helps a bit but I’m sure there’s a lot of people in ireland who don’t bother with a dog licence at all..not really enforced here.
It’s unfortunate

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
They’ll seize if a dog is out of control in a public place and I’m sure that will continue, but will they stop someone who’s just walking along with an unmuzzled XLB, or advertising one for sale or a litter of puppies? I very much doubt they will have the resources for it.
They can’t deal with the amount of jobs they have now, this will by default be the bottom of their list, plus very few will reliably be able to ‘type’ a dog. There is no training in place as yet.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I think it helps a bit but I’m sure there’s a lot of people in ireland who don’t bother with a dog licence at all..not really enforced here.
It’s unfortunate
It jolly well is enforced here. Any dog picked up straying is followed up if not licensed, and our local warden calls to houses and farms checking up. The only ones able to slip through the net are those not microchipped and picked up (also the ones that are often not reunited with their owners).

JBM

Visit site
It jolly well is enforced here. Any dog picked up straying is followed up if not licensed, and our local warden calls to houses and farms checking up. The only ones able to slip through the net are those not microchipped and picked up (also the ones that are often not reunited with their owners).
Well mine are all chipped and have licences but I never had anyone check in the many years I’ve had them and I know a lady down the road with 6 dogs who never bothered with a licence for any of them 🤷🏻‍♀️ (they are chipped)